PB G5 -- coming within next 14 days

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 219
    Apple is going to screw its customers out of their $3k investements? No. Current hardware will be supported into the far future regardless of what hardware route Apple takes tomorrow or in a year.
  • Reply 202 of 219
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Hope you're right..... guess we find out in 24 hours :-/
  • Reply 203 of 219
    Still, it's odd after all this time to visit apple's hardware page and see "THE NEW POWERBOOKS". You think they would find another adjective to relieve them of this falsehood. And the iBooks haven't been on the hardware page for I don't know how long.
  • Reply 204 of 219
    Yah I'm completely shocked the iBooks haven't been updated yet.
  • Reply 205 of 219
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Apple must have a reason - I think they're waiting for either a new chip or the PowerBooks to be updated more significantly.
  • Reply 206 of 219
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    Quote:

They are so close to power books already where could the go? Maybe a price drop. . A q u a M a c .
  • Reply 207 of 219
    Quote:

Originally posted by AquaMac

They are so close to power books already where could the go? Maybe a price drop. . A q u a M a c .

There is a lot they can do the iBooks...

graphics card updates, more ram, bigger harddrives, pump the cpu up to 1.42ghz... then they could also add in other things like bluetooth and that airbag technology (not sure what apple calls it). They could do 1 or more of those things and have it not run into the powerbook.

There is no way you're going to convince me that apple is going to not update it's flagship computer (most selling) for over a year... Sales are down on this computer... apple has to update it asap.
  • Reply 208 of 219
    We all recognize that the iBook is nearly stepping on the toes of the 12" PB. It would seem both lines need refreshing. Clearly tomorrow will tell. Well, maybe not clearly, but hopefully. Apple can do a weak refresh to pretend they are still innovating, or they can do a real update and show they are innovating. I do agree with emig that the iBook needs it more than the PB. At the very least it needs to be Core compatible. Of course the question of Core compatibility fragments into a number of strange questions in light of the Intel rumor.
  • Reply 209 of 219
    Quote:

Originally posted by surfacenuts

Of course the question of Core compatibility fragments into a number of strange questions in light of the Intel rumor.

and lets not go there
  • Reply 210 of 219
    Okay, I admit it. I'm obsessed with buying a new Apple laptop, and every day I look around. I even consider getting a used G4 PB on craigslist, which is why I happen to notice that today no one has put up an iBook or PB for auction since the Intel rumor. Why? What are people thinking?
  • Reply 211 of 219
    LOL!!!

i do the same thing every day. I got on craigslist, then I go on dealmac.com then I go to apple's website for refurbs, then I go to their developer hardware discount page..... I decided to wait till tomorrow. If they say current hardware is going to be just as useful 2 years from now (the OS will support it) then I will buy a powerbook tomorrow regardless of updates.
  • Reply 212 of 219
    wingk1314wingk1314 Posts: 43member
    this has got to be one of the longest weekend of my life
  • Reply 213 of 219
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wingk1314

this has got to be one of the longest weekend of my life

I don't know why, but something inside of me (call it intuition), says that this is a really large smokescreen.
  • Reply 214 of 219
    Yah I don't think anyone can guess wth is gonna happen tomorrow. But we can watch macrumors.com for live coverage. So we have 18 hours left . We can do that easily.
  • Reply 215 of 219
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I don't know why, but something inside of me (call it intuition), says that this is a really large smokescreen.

Me too. As a developer I'm not convinced it's a wise move. As a consumer I'm worried for my soft/hardware investments.

I think cnet is barking up the wrong tree.
  • Reply 216 of 219
    Quote:

LOL!!!

i do the same thing every day. I got on craigslist, then I go on dealmac.com then I go to apple's website for refurbs, then I go to their developer hardware discount page..... I will buy a powerbook tomorrow regardless of updates.

Phew! For a while there I thought I was the only fully-fledged neurotic one on this board.
  • Reply 217 of 219
    maccrazymaccrazy Posts: 2,658member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

there will not be a PowerBook update at WWDC - in 24 hours time you'll know I'm right!
  • Reply 218 of 219
    It makes sense that there might NEVER be a powerbook g5. Intel is the king of low power cpu's. Perhaps this could explain the move to intel?