G5 - The truth

Comments

• Reply 181 of 489
    A little bird told that Trinity shall return, after eating pie, more voluminous than a dolphin...

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</p>
  • Reply 182 of 489
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    codename= PowerMac G4
  • Reply 183 of 489
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    applenut-

What's that mean?
  • Reply 184 of 489
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by Codename:

<strong>A little bird told that Trinity shall return, after eating pie, more voluminous than a dolphin...

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Codename ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Trinity = G4 Cube

dolphin = Nintendo Game Cube?

pie = ????

Not sure about the Game Cube reference either since the G4 Cube was always larger than the GC...
  • Reply 185 of 489
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Wow, secret spy lingo. I'm lost now, lol
  • Reply 186 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by Codename:

<strong>A little bird told that...

]</strong><hr></blockquote>

I prefer goat entrails
  • Reply 187 of 489
    Whatever type of pie that is, I bet it's humble....

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: boy_analog ]</p>
  • Reply 188 of 489
    Perhaps a larger cube, targeted at the consumers who want a Mac without PCI slots (or only one), an AGP port for upgrading the video card, and the ability to choose their own display. If it's larger, then it will be cheaper to manufacture, meaning that Apple may be able to price it correctly, as in, cheaper than an iMac? That would be a hit, and it woudl be revolutionary for Apple, if not the rest of the industry.

Codename, he's talking about the Powermacs getting the Apollo. Apollo is rumored to clock at :

1 GHz

1.133 GHz

1.266 GHz

I just don't see Apple using a CPU designed for low power, low heat applications in the Powermacs. It makes more sense for them to use the G5. But if the G5 isn't ready, then I think the above speeds are what we can expect for the new Powermacs. Nice, but nothing great.

The best part about it is that maybe, just maybe, this will free up some of the slower G4s, clocked at around 800MHz, for the upgrade manufactureres. I'd love to drop an 800 MHz CPU into my 400 MHz Sawtooth. Better yet, a dual 800 MHz upgrade! But alas, the upgrades are so expensive it's usually cheaper to just sell one's computer and put the money towards a new Powermac.
  • Reply 189 of 489
    unfortunately what codename said may be true..i personally want a g5 but the sky looks cloudy..and word has it that if the g5 is not ready (likely) then we shall see a quad g4. not bad either, but pricey. only for the high-end folks.
  • Reply 190 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>For you linguistic analysts, and just for old time's sake, here is some old Dorsal.

From March 2, 2001:

Sorry for the long post, but I thought it would be interesting to see some of Dorsal's old posts again.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Ok, but Dorsal M registered on 11-23-2001. So where do his old posts come from.
  • Reply 191 of 489
    Dorsal's old posts come from the old AI, before the extended period off the air.
  • Reply 192 of 489
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>applenut-

What's that [Codename = PowerMac G4] mean?</strong><hr></blockquote>

PowerMac G4 was a poster to the old AI boards. Waaaay back in the day he posted as Codename, and it appears that he's reverted to his old handle.

As I recall, he claimed to have a source at Motorola.
  • Reply 193 of 489
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>codename= PowerMac G4</strong><hr></blockquote>

Fran? Where are ya? Here is your chance...

&lt;&lt;Fran thinks that PowermacG4 - Codename - Nick DePlume are all the same person&gt;&gt;
  • Reply 194 of 489
    G5 is confirmed (love that!) for MWSF2002

Check out

<a href="http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html"; target="_blank">http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html</a>;

It says on the site:

Please note that the shareware version of VueScan is disabled on PowerPC G5 processors.

xlr8yourmac.com has the link.
  • Reply 195 of 489
    [quote]Originally posted by CodeWarrior:

<strong>G5 is confirmed (love that!) for MWSF2002

Check out

<a href="http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html"; target="_blank">http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html</a>;

It says on the site:

Please note that the shareware version of VueScan is disabled on PowerPC G5 processors.

xlr8yourmac.com has the link.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Who is hamrick that they would have access to G5 machines. Forget that.
  • Reply 196 of 489
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    [quote]Originally posted by specialkbdc:

<strong>Moogs

Hilarious post back there on page 3. Not too often I actually laugh when reading these boords.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks. But surely you can't be serious when you imply you don't often find anything to laugh about on these forums. This room in particular is ripe with butt-gusting commentary and hypothesis. Frankly, I usually find it hard NOT to laugh....

• Reply 197 of 489
    Just to pee on the campfire a little bit, this was posted on MacNN today:

[quote]

I dunno where people are getting this stuff, but I *assure* you that there will be no G5 at MacWorld/SF -- indeed, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there were no G5s in 2002 at all. It just isn't on the radar screen, and won't be under late 2002 at the earliest.

The new Apollo G4's are really G4.5's -- and they will reach some pretty decent clockspeeds in 2002.

Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

<hr></blockquote>

Andrew is reliable when it comes to nuts-and-bolts computer stuff, but I don't know what source/info he's relying on here.

Another fellow:

[quote]

There will be no "G5" in January, but 3 new G4 models based on the 7460 chip with the low-end G4 surpassing the speed of our current fastest, and the high-end topping out at 1.4GHz. The processor speed along with a faster version of DDR SDRAM @266MHz should dramatically change the feel of our current slug of an OS.

<hr></blockquote>

I am trying to temper my expectations, but I do hope JYD's reasoning turns out to be correct.
  • Reply 198 of 489
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 199 of 489
    ptrashptrash Posts: 296member
    Perhaps a larger cube, targeted at the consumers who want a Mac without PCI slots

An Imac cube, 1ghz G3 with an LCD monitor for $1299? $1399? ...do we hear $1499?
  • Reply 200 of 489
    I used to believe in Dorsal, really I did. But that story about only a core group in his firm having access to the G5 makes no sense at all to me. Either he has access to secret hardware or he doesn't. Either his company needs him to test new hardware or it doesn't. A secret's a secret folks: it's all about trust.

On the other hand, I think that Andrew Welch would be on a first-name basis with a lot of the movers and shakers at Apple. Ambrosia is a Mac-only shareware house that produces the only Mac-only games that people are passionate about.

Mmmmmmm ... EV Nova ........

Where was I? Oh.

Don't get too attached to all the stories that are floating around about G5s. Faster Macs are imminent; TiBooks with combo drives have just been announced; plenty of windroids are looking longingly at iBooks with OSX; life is good.