Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED]

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Looks cool, but where is the bluetooth version?! I just ordered a bluetooth mouse for my new mac mini which arrived today. I was a bit miffed when I saw this, but now realise I didn't miss out since there isn't a bluetooth version of this (yet)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 239
    goto apple.com i didn't see this coming. that mouse is awsome, much better scroll and more things you can do with it. and yet, it still looks like the one button apple mouse. good job apple, very good job
  • Reply 2 of 239
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    I. Will. Be. God. Damned.

Multibutton mouse.

From Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 239
    sport73sport73 Posts: 438member
    Typical Apple.

While I agree that the Bluetooth version should be ready as well, this mouse simply ROCKS!

The beautifully clean appearance of a single-button Apple Mouse with the power of a multi-button mouse and a wonderfully engineered scroll-ball.

Anyone know if they'll be in stores today? If so, I'm on my way!
  • Reply 4 of 239
    I will wait on the Bluetooth variant but NICE!
  • Reply 5 of 239
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    DONE RIGHT... WOW...
  • Reply 6 of 239
    g_warreng_warren Posts: 713member
    If and when the bluetooth option is available, I'll trade in my bluetooth apple mouse. Looks good, if only it was bluetooth!
  • Reply 7 of 239
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It looks confusing, but I'll probably order one to see what's up.
  • Reply 8 of 239
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
  • Reply 9 of 239
    well, i wouldn't judge it from the pictures ... i guess i'll have to try it out myself. but it does look interesting, and i'm pretty confident that apple has done a nice job with this, since they didn't exactly rush this out the door ...
  • Reply 10 of 239
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    okay, apple now owes me $50 for SPITTING COFFEE ALL OVER MY KEYBOARD THIS MORNING.

may i just say, the gloves are OFFICIALLY off.
  • Reply 11 of 239
    omegaomega Posts: 427member
    threads merged - link no longer needed

• Reply 12 of 239
    No Mighty Mouse for us Aussies
  • Reply 13 of 239
    look a beauty mouse
  • Reply 14 of 239
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

may i just say, the gloves are OFFICIALLY off.

Really-- what else to complain about? "G4 is teh sloww"-- oh, wait we'll have Intel CPUs next year. "One Butan!" Oh, wait...

They're slowly crushing all the factors that have tainted the perception of the Mac, right as MS it totally flailing with Longhorn/Vista.
  • Reply 15 of 239
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Fuck. That's awesome.

And of course, they came up with something that we now can't live without. Not a scroll wheel anymore, heck no. Scrollball. I want one. Hmm all the more incentive to get that Mactel Mini when it's out...
  • Reply 16 of 239
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Can't you just imagine steve sitting there trying to describe to engineers exactly how the touch sensitivity must feel and act, and exactly where everything must be placed. No wonder it took so long to get this mouse. I am puzzled by the lack of bluetooth, maybe all that touch sensitive stuff eats batteries like crazy?

"Alas the fate of the one-button mouse in today?s multibutton world. Who has time for intuitive, elegant design when there is so much clicking to do?" - from apple's site, something says there is still resistance to multi-button mice from within apple.

Also, "Mighty Mouse © Viacom International Inc. All Rights Reserved."
  • Reply 17 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dogcow

I am puzzled by the lack of bluetooth, maybe all that touch sensitive stuff eats batteries like crazy?

well, i have to say that i bought a wireless rf keyboard and mouse back when everyone was getting the itch to be wireless, and really, i'm just not that jazzed about replacing my batteries in my mouse every once in a while, especially when it's working fine one second, then, without warning, it stops, or sputters, then dies. better hope you have a wired mouse in a drawer, or spare batteries, because it can become a finger-twister to remember all of the ways to access stuff via keyboard when you don't have a mouse working.
  • Reply 18 of 239
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    "Mighty Mouse even sounds as good as it feels. The audio feedback built into Mighty Mouse provides an aural sensation that responds to your movements. A tiny speaker inside Mighty Mouse produces button-clicking and Scroll Ball-rolling sound effects."

W

T

F

?
  • Reply 19 of 239
    One word: FINALLY!!!!!

• Reply 20 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

"Mighty Mouse even sounds as good as it feels. The audio feedback built into Mighty Mouse provides an aural sensation that responds to your movements. A tiny speaker inside Mighty Mouse produces button-clicking and Scroll Ball-rolling sound effects."

W

T

F

?

yep, there's your battery-eater. a speaker AND a laser? but i will bet you, in user testing, the users had a big problem understanding what they were doing with the mouse if it's all one slick housing, so they devised an audible feedback, too. it'll be interesting to see if you can turn it off, or adjust the volume.

you know, the more i look at this, the more i am amazed: it's a mouse, trackpad AND trackball ALL-IN-ONE (i'm not even sure what to classify the "squeezable sides" as)