Apple introduces two-button mouse [MERGED]

Comments

• Reply 101 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dak splunder

Damm, your correct

Well, of course it should be the default. The charge hasn't been for Apple to sell a two-button scrollwheel mouse, it was to include it standard with the Mac. Apple's been selling third-party mice for years. So what if this one has the Apple name on it. This needs to be the Apple mouse that comes with the Apple computer so that Macs have two-button mice with scrollwheels.

Yeeesh.

:d
    [/QUOTE]

But I agree with those who have said that it might lead to a profusion of developers who lose the good design principles they are forced into with a one button mouse. I would hate to see programs REQUIRING a right click just because MS 's programs need it, and therefore it's easier for them to do.
  • Reply 102 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by melgross

But I agree with those who have said that it might lead to a profusion of developers who lose the good design principles they are forced into with a one button mouse. I would hate to see programs REQUIRING a right click just because MS 's programs need it, and therefore it's easier for them to do.

To think that the best way to avoid bad programming is by crippling the user with an underpowered mouse is silly. First of all, I'm sure there are already examples of commands that can only be accessed by control-clicking in some applications somewhere. Second of all, in some programs there are commands that are buried many layers deep in menus but are handily found in the right-click popup menu. The fact is, context-sensitive right-click (control-click) menus, when used correctly, are brilliant.

And I've seen too many examples of developers with bad design principles regardless of how many buttons my mouse has.

• Reply 103 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by dahacouk

Hey! I've got to pull you up on this. And anybody else out there that doesn't use rechargeable AA batteries. If you don't then YOU SHOULD USE RECHARGEABLE AA BATTERIES. There is just no excuse not to. DON'T USE NORMAL (ONE USE) BATTERIES.

I have been using rechargeable AA's for years in my digital camera, minidisk, various torches, home phone, guitar, wireless mouse and keyboard. I've never had any problems, I always keep a spare set in the charger.

I have AA's dating back to 700 mAh - and that's a good few years ago - and they are still providing me with power. AA rechargeables are now up to 2600 mAh and that's a lot of capacity. Read what Steve has to say. And here's a good FAQ.

Don't use one-use alkaline or Li-ion AA's - stick to rechargeables - best to use NiMH (for AA size) - and SAVE YOURSELF HARD CASH and REDUCE TOXIC WASTE in the process - or vice versa. Sorry for shouting but this is such a no brainer...

So, there's no need for a dock for wireless version of mighty mouse. Just hope they use AA's so's I can whack in my rechargeables! ;-)

Cheers Daniel

Except for one problem. Even my 2100mha NiMH batteries last for a much shorter time in my Apple keyboard than do a good set of alkalines. I'm talking about less than two weeks vs several months.

NiMH batteries put out 1.2 volts vs the 1.5 volts of alkalines. That means the voltage is much closer to the minimum usable voltage, which is, on most devices, between .9-1.1 volts per battery.

I prefer rechargable batteries, and they last much longer in my cameras. But the cameras are designed for the lower voltages, they throttle back the higher voltages from alkalines. The Apple keyboard and mouse, at least those two anyway, but possibly others as well, are designed for the higher voltages and extended current draw from these continously on devices.

Only those that say you can use rechargeables are designed for them.
  • Reply 104 of 239
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Well, of course it should be the default. The charge hasn't been for Apple to sell a two-button scrollwheel mouse, it was to include it standard with the Mac. Apple's been selling third-party mice for years. So what if this one has the Apple name on it. This needs to be the Apple mouse that comes with the Apple computer so that Macs have two-button mice with scrollwheels.

Yeeesh.

Oh god, here we go again.

The single-button mouse is so that developers can NOT rely on a second button.

This forces them to design their UIs such that a single button is the only guaranteed way to interact. This forces them to ensure that *ALL* functionality is findable using just one button... ie, menus and buttons. ie, VISIBLE UI elements. No hidden contextual menus. This is called discoverability, and is a prime tenet of well designed UIs. It allows a new user, or a user of a new product, to quickly 'mouse around' and find out what they can do, and *everything* they can do.

Contextual menus and such are there for *efficiency only*.

Anything else is an outright ERROR according to the Apple HIG. Yes, there are errors in Apple's shipping consumer products. Yes, there are a lot of button-click actions that aren't *easily* replicated through menu items and such, and I'd like to see them listed somewhere in the Help system. Additionally, certain extremely high-end and specialized products (Shake, FCP, etc) break these rules to create a better workflow for professionals. That doesn't mean that there's any excuse to create a muddled UI system for the general public, ala Windows or Gnome.

The single-button mouse as the default is the cornerstone of the consistency and usability of the Apple UI. It's not about the users, directly, it's about the developers. We devs are lazy folk who like to think we're going to come up with the next kewl interface hack... it's very rare that anything useful comes out of it. This prevents the 99.99% of the devs who are *LOUSY* UI designers from screwing things up too badly.
  • Reply 105 of 239
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Hey! I've got to pull you up on this. And anybody else out there that doesn't use rechargeable AA batteries. If you don't then YOU SHOULD USE RECHARGEABLE AA BATTERIES. There is just no excuse not to. DON'T USE NORMAL (ONE USE) BATTERIES.

sigh, look you're right. and i TRIED that. but i swear rechargeable ones never hold the same charge twice. i tried using them in my kodak dc290, and they worked well the first two or three times, but then subsequently drained faster and faster, not over months, but over DAYS. then, when i put the specialized e2-style ones from energizer (or any "high energy" batteries), the thing acted liek it was plugged into an ac outlet. it was awesome, the difference.

i WANT to use rechargeable ones. i really do. maybe i am buying bad brands or chargers?
  • Reply 106 of 239
    Quote:

To think that the best way to avoid bad programming is by crippling the user with an underpowered mouse is silly. First of all, I'm sure there are already examples of commands that can only be accessed by control-clicking in some applications somewhere. Second of all, in some programs there are commands that are buried many layers deep in menus but are handily found in the right-click popup menu. The fact is, context-sensitive right-click (control-click) menus, when used correctly, are brilliant.

And I've seen too many examples of developers with bad design principles regardless of how many buttons my mouse has.

There is far worse programming in Windows because of the two button mouse than there is on the Mac because of the one button mouse.

Most uses for the control-click aren't required. But many, or most, or the right-click functions are required. That's a difference. As I've written several times, I use a multiple button trackball, but not to context-click. It's too trivial a task. I would rather use the buttons for important items.
  • Reply 107 of 239
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

It looks the same. Apple did a lot of work on the Pro mouse after all of the well deserved complaints about the round one.

By the way Kasper, what happened to your spin "right now"?

I'm using it. Thinking of writing a review. It's the same size as the pro mouse, which I find way too large. So far that is the only beef I have with it. The left- and right-side buttons act as one (kinda like you're squeezing the mouse). The coolest thing is that you can set the extra buttons to do just about anything. Right now I have it set so that when you click the scroll ball, Expose launches. It's great not having to reach for the keyboard.

Should I write a full review?

-K
  • Reply 108 of 239
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

To think that the best way to avoid bad programming is by crippling the user with an underpowered mouse is silly.

In a powerful UI, a one button mouse is all you need. It's not the mouse that's underpowered, it's UIs that require multiple buttons.

Quote:

First of all, I'm sure there are already examples of commands that can only be accessed by control-clicking in some applications somewhere.

And they are bugs. Errors. Mistakes.

OTOH, many times I've been pointed to 'examples' of such, only to find those contextual menu commands are each reconstructable using visible and primary methods... with one button. The contextual menu is there for efficiency, not functionality.

Quote:

Second of all, in some programs there are commands that are buried many layers deep in menus but are handily found in the right-click popup menu. The fact is, context-sensitive right-click (control-click) menus, when used correctly, are brilliant.

You're confusing efficiency with effectiveness. Single-button enforces *discoverability*, which is a quite different matter than efficiency.

I use a multi-button mouse myself, because I find that it's more efficient. But I am very grateful that I can always learn a new application through simple clicking and mousing around, and that I'm almost certain to find everything I need *visible*.

Quote:

Absolutely true - but take a look at the average consistency of UI on other platforms, and then look at the Mac. We're so far ahead in general that it isn't even funny.

Other platforms' mediocrity is no excuse to join them.
  • Reply 109 of 239
    Quote:

The fact is, context-sensitive right-click (control-click) menus, when used correctly, are brilliant.

well, yeah. no one disputes that. that's why contextual menus have been a part of the mac os since, what, system 8?

but the bad apps you mention, i want to point out, are usually the ones that have a pc counterpart they must maintain parity with (photoshop, office products, etc.). which just extends and helps substantiate kickaha's point: apps designed EXCLUSIVELY for the mac for the consumer audience do not have nearly as many "contextual-only commands" as do cross-platform or pro-targeted "we-can-expect-them-to-be-using-8-button-mice-with-jog-shuttle" audience.
  • Reply 110 of 239
    ejpejpejpejp Posts: 17member
    Also, Apple loves to tout how easy OS X is. By giving new computer users this mouse that you squeeze, doesn't really have buttons, and has a scrollBALL (my mom, using computers for about 2 years, still gets confused with a scrollWHEEL) just makes it much too complicated for a first time user. Obviously for the computer literate it would be great to get a 2 or 4 or whatever button mouse right out of the box, but for the computer illiterate, it would just confuse them.
  • Reply 111 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

I'm using it. Thinking of writing a review. It's the same size as the pro mouse, which I find way too large. So far that is the only beef I have with it. The left- and right-side buttons act as one (kinda like you're squeezing the mouse). The coolest thing is that you can set the extra buttons to do just about anything. Right now I have it set so that when you click the scroll ball, Expose launches. It's great not having to reach for the keyboard.

Should I write a full review?

-K

Yes! Also, how does one clean the ball and components under it? It doesn't seem to have any wat to pop it out. does Apple say anything about that?
  • Reply 112 of 239
    bwhalerbwhaler Posts: 260member
    Love the name.

Love the design.

Love the fact that we now have a multi-button mouse from Apple.

Love the fact that it is optional so 3rd party software vendors will still be forced to design software in a simple manner. No problems like, "How would I know I had to right click the scroll bar to access the font menu" like the Windows world has.

But I HATE the fact that it is not wireless. I won't buy it for that reason. And that really bums me out.
  • Reply 113 of 239
    Quote:

Except for one problem. Even my 2100mha NiMH batteries last for a much shorter time in my Apple keyboard than do a good set of alkalines. I'm talking about less than two weeks vs several months.

NiMH batteries put out 1.2 volts vs the 1.5 volts of alkalines. That means the voltage is much closer to the minimum usable voltage, which is, on most devices, between .9-1.1 volts per battery.

I prefer rechargable batteries, and they last much longer in my cameras. But the cameras are designed for the lower voltages, they throttle back the higher voltages from alkalines. The Apple keyboard and mouse, at least those two anyway, but possibly others as well, are designed for the higher voltages and extended current draw from these continously on devices.

Only those that say you can use rechargeables are designed for them.

Bear in mind that rechargeables can be recharged for 1000 times (and I reckon it's far more than that), you should be able to get 2000 weeks out of those rechargeable suckers. That's 40 years dude! On one set of batteries. It's still a no brainer, yeah?!?! ;-)

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 114 of 239
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    One thing nobody has mentioned, is weight.

I had constant irratation in my wrist due to carpal tunnel syndrom.

I bought Macally's iOptinet mouse for the two button and scroll functions... first thing I noticed, it weighs next to nothing, about 1/8th of the Apple pro mouse.

BAM... no more wrist irratation, and it's been 3 years.

I hope this thing weighs next to nothing. If it weighs anything like the Pro mouse, it's useless, and crap.
  • Reply 115 of 239
    Quote:

Yes! Also, how does one clean the ball and components under it? It doesn't seem to have any wat to pop it out. does Apple say anything about that?

remember, this is also the company that has made the ipod without an ability to swap batteries when they will eventually be unable to recharge. so i wouldn't be surprised if there ISN'T a way to pop it out. just wear some iGloves.

• Reply 116 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by rain

If it weighs anything like the Pro mouse, it's useless, and crap.

addendum... for YOU, it's crap.

i had a wacom mouse, which, through whatever mojo, has absolutely nothing in it. it's like it isn't even there. i wanted to throw that damn thing out the window, because i expect some weight to actually feel my mouse moving.

input devices have got to be the #1 thing people are the most picky about, and users of one style simply cannot comprehend how others can use anything else. and we get really nasty in debates over which is better. and hardware companies like apple are required to throw them in the box by the users (remember when the keyboard and mouse were OPTIONAL?). so it puts apple in a damn tough jam to work through. and they do NOT want to get into the mouse-making business.
  • Reply 117 of 239
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

sigh, look you're right. and i TRIED that. but i swear rechargeable ones never hold the same charge twice. i tried using them in my kodak dc290, and they worked well the first two or three times, but then subsequently drained faster and faster, not over months, but over DAYS. then, when i put the specialized e2-style ones from energizer (or any "high energy" batteries), the thing acted liek it was plugged into an ac outlet. it was awesome, the difference.

i WANT to use rechargeable ones. i really do. maybe i am buying bad brands or chargers?

Perhaps... I use GP batteries and they're great. I'm sure you'll find reviews around and detailed specs and stuff... good luck.

Cheers Daniel
  • Reply 118 of 239
    Quote:

Bear in mind that rechargeables can be recharged for 1000 times (and I reckon it's far more than that), you should be able to get 2000 weeks out of those rechargeable suckers. That's 40 years dude! On one set of batteries. It's still a no brainer, yeah?!?! ;-)

Cheers Daniel

It's a no brainer not to use them for this. Some things just don't work well with rechargables. I use them wherever I can. But this is not the place for them. To have the batteries run down when I'm in the middle of something every ten days or so is annoying, to say the least. I tried it for a month, and gave up. You might think that ten days is no big deal, but it is. Remembering to replace them on a regular basis is not easy either. I've been using a keyboard, or typwriter for over forty years, and remembering that I have to change a battery in it isn't the first thing I think of when I sit down.

p.s. It's between 500 and 1,000 charges.
  • Reply 119 of 239
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

This left-right-diagonal scrolling is silly. How often do you actually scroll left or right, much less diagonally? 99% of all scrolling is up-down, when reading web pages, scrolling through finder windows, font lists, whatever.

Actually, I scroll side to side exactly the same as I scroll up and down. While I'm in BBEdit and some idiot doesn't use line breaks in their jsp, php, perl code... I have to scroll sideways to get to the right spots. I love the fact that tilt wheels are avail. YOu guys are criticizing this mouse before you've even used it. Perhaps apple came up with a nice little algorithm to make this mouse scroll perfectly up and down and side to side without the diagnol.... don't knock it till you try it.
  • Reply 120 of 239
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Absolutely true - but take a look at the average consistency of UI on other platforms, and then look at the Mac. We're so far ahead in general that it isn't even funny.

Other platforms' mediocrity is no excuse to join them. [/B]

This whole line of argument is just plain silly. If Mac users value the traits you espouse, then apps will still be built that way. If not, then perhaps it wasn't so valuable after all.

The bottom line is that it's nice to see Apple actually giving CUSTOMERS what they want to BUY, not holding out and forcing customers to shop elsewhere out of some vague reasons of purity.

I see a multi-button mouse from Apple as a huge flashing sign in the sky that Apple is starting to "get it" and that future products will really focus on addressing customer needs instead of purists'. Go Apple!