Apple argues "even a moron" can spot company difference

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Giving opening arguments on Thursday, lawyers for Apple Computer asserted the company's right to distribute music through its iTunes music store, rejecting claims by The Beatles' Apple Corps Ltd. that doing so violated a 1991 trademark agreement.

According to the Associated Press, Apple lawyer Anthony Grabiner said the "distribution of digital entertainment content" was permitted under the agreement, in which the two companies promised not to interfere with the other's business.

Grabiner said "even a moron in a hurry" could distinguish between the computer company's online music business and a record label like Apple Corps.

"Data transmission is within our field of use. That's what [the agreement] says and it is inescapable," he said.

In his own opening arguments on Wednesday, Apple Corps' lawyer Geoffrey Vos said Apple Computer's music distribution business "was flatly contradictory to the provisions of the agreement."

Vos argued that while Apple Computer is perfectly entitled to produce programs like iTunes, it should stay out of the music business if it uses the logo, a cartoonish apple with a neat bite out of its side, the AP reported.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 106
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Is Apple Corps. short of money! No! Exactly!

There are people dying in the world! And this record company is giving out because apple is using apple's own logo in iTunes!

Give it a rest you idiots!

I wonder if Paul McCartney had anything to do with this!!

After all didn't he recently rewrite the credits to some of John Lennon's songs to his name! Great respect for the dead, idiot!!
  • Reply 2 of 106
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    So you know how iTunes delivers condensed, commerical-free programs of the Superbowl & NCAA games? I would so purchase the video of this courtroom battle if it was presented in the same form! I think we might be able to pull quotes of the decade out of this.
  • Reply 3 of 106
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    Quote:

Apple Computer lawyer Anthony Grabiner said the 'distribution of digital entertainment content' was permitted under the agreement, in which the two companies promised not to tread on the other's sphere of business. Grabiner said 'even a moron in a hurry' could distinguish between the computer company's online music business and a record label like Apple Corps.

Exactly. People know who the Beatles (and Apple Corps) are, and people know who Apple Computer is. There is no criminal or anticontractual intent here. It is possible for either company to operate in its own space.
  • Reply 4 of 106
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crees!

I think we might be able to pull quotes of the decade out of this.

Quote of the decade: "The Beatles suck."

• Reply 5 of 106
    I just think it's hillarious that a lawyer used the phrase "even a moron in a hurry" in a British court. Nice to see use good old common sense as an argument in court. That being said ... maybe this looks a hell of a lot like this and I'm just not seeing it. Notice the Green Apple Corps of New York City uses exactly the same logo as Apple Corps in Engalnd. You don't see them getting sued for it. If you look through google images for Apple Logo you'll see nothing but Apple computer for a long, long time. Hell, even the Turkey Knob Apple Logo comes up on page 3 or 4. You finally come across a lone Apple Corps logo at the top of page 6 ... <sigh>

At least it'll make for another rousing court battle. In any case, Apple should demand at the end of everything that the Beatles catalogue be made available on iTMS and immunity from further litigation brought forth by Apple Corps concerning the use of the AAPL logo.
  • Reply 6 of 106
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Apple Computer does not record or produce music, just distribute it. That said...

The retail operation is called iTunes Music Store, not Apple Music Store.

The mp3 player is the Apple iPod, not Apple Music Player.

The most confusing part is someone might look at the name "Apple Records" and think it's a subsidiary or partner with "Apple Computer." That confusion, however, has likely existed since well before the iTunes Music Store came on the scene. So nothing has changed.

Case closed.
  • Reply 7 of 106
    The only thing I know for sure is that I won't be buying any Beetles music anytime soon, not that I ever did anyways.

I think I will stick to Hendrix and Clapton unless Eric decides to sue someone for some random reason to get money, although since he isn't British maybe he isn't out to screw American companies out of money, maybe he will sue a British one.
  • Reply 8 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by drakethegreat

The only thing I know for sure is that I won't be buying any Beetles music anytime soon, not that I ever did anyways.

That's probably due to the fact that you can't spell it properly.

Quote:

I think I will stick to Hendrix and Clapton unless Eric decides to sue someone for some random reason to get money, although since he isn't British maybe he isn't out to screw American companies out of money, maybe he will sue a British one.

You're on a roll.

Eric Clapton is British.

• Reply 9 of 106
    heh
  • Reply 10 of 106
    vf208vf208 Posts: 49member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Apple Computer does not record or produce music, just distribute it.

I'm not entirely sure if I'm right but isn't this the same as apple corps ie. Record labels distribute music and don't record or produce it - that's the artist's job...
  • Reply 11 of 106
    Quote:

Vos argued that while Apple Computer is perfectly entitled to produce programs like iTunes, it should stay out of the music business if it uses the logo

So, if they stop using the logo, and come up with an iTunes logo, the Beatles will disappear and the lawsuit is over?

Considering the logos don't look alike (the computer company has a bite taken out and a big leaf), I'm not even sure you could call that logo an apple in a generic sense. Because I have never seen an apple that has that big a "leaf" on top, or that has a perfectly taken "bite" out of it (who has teeth like that?).

In fact, the Apple store and iPod commercials just show this logo, that might resemble an apple, but if you were to put it beside a real live apple, you would see a huge difference.

What? Artistic license and common sense would have me know better? Hmmm... Maybe the courtroom needs some of that!
  • Reply 12 of 106
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The 1991 agreement between the two companies stipulated the realms in which they could use their trademarks.

Apple Computer got: software, hardware, blah blah blah, *AND* 'data transmission' across networks.

Apple Corps got: music creation, musical works, blah blah blah, *AND* 'intangible music communication'. At the time, I'm sure they meant radio.

Problem is, iTMS can be defined as both 'data transmission' *AND* 'intangible music communication', depending on how you want to look at it. That's the crux of the suit, and the point on which it will hinge.

As has been pointed out though, Apple could remove Apple's logo and name from the iTMS even more - they still plainly hold the rights to use the logo on the software (iTunes window border), and on music playback devices (iPod). Yup, they got that last one in the 1991 agreement.

Basically, this comes down to how tied the Apple name and logo are with iTMS, and iTMS alone. If you note, when you visit the iTMS the name and logo are already conspicuously absent, except for the copyright notice at the bottom. The logo at the top in the equalizer window is part of the software iTunes, not iTMS.

Worst case scenario, IMO: iTMS has to be broken out into a subsidiary, so that the Apple name can be stripped completely from the iTMS while retaining proper copyright notices.
  • Reply 13 of 106
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Eric Clapton is British.

Pssh, he just has a really good fake accent. Even better than Madonna's.
  • Reply 14 of 106
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    Apple Corps on Wikipedia

What has Apple Corps done in the past three decades? I like the second part of this exceprt from Wikipedia...

"After the dismissal of Magic Alex in 1969 (during Allen Klein's "housecleaning" of Apple Corps), Apple Electronics fell victim to the same forces that troubled the company as a whole, including the impending Beatles breakup.

While it never made a dent in the marketplace, Apple Electronics was still considered a viable business entity years later, when Apple Corps sued Apple Computer over trademarking, for selling music players and other non-computer devices under the Apple brand name."

I guess a "viable business" is one that exists solely to sue others. Anyone remember the various Imatec lawsuits?

Visit the stunning Apple Corps website!
  • Reply 15 of 106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

The 1991 agreement between the two companies stipulated the realms in which they could use their trademarks.

Apple Computer got: software, hardware, blah blah blah, *AND* 'data transmission' across networks.

Apple Corps got: music creation, musical works, blah blah blah, *AND* 'intangible music communication'. At the time, I'm sure they meant radio.

Problem is, iTMS can be defined as both 'data transmission' *AND* 'intangible music communication', depending on how you want to look at it. That's the crux of the suit, and the point on which it will hinge.

Interesting. It seems a "plain reading" here would favor Apple (Computer).

Quote:

Basically, this comes down to how tied the Apple name and logo are with iTMS, and iTMS alone.

Possibly. Apple (Computer) might not care that much.

Quote:

Worst case scenario, IMO: iTMS has to be broken out into a subsidiary, so that the Apple name can be stripped completely from the iTMS while retaining proper copyright notices.

I think this is probably right. Given what you have said, I think it would be unlikely for the judge to find in favor of Apple (Corps.) AND require punitive payments of any substance.

May require some fine-tuning and clarification of the wording of the contract.
  • Reply 16 of 106
    Quote:

If it comes down to that, I really cant see any of the corps taking hold of it to them selfes. Basically, then Apple (Our) is in it good rights to distribute music through iTunes.

No one knows how the future develops, but I guess this case is going to be a good landmark..
  • Reply 17 of 106
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland

Is Apple Corps. short of money! No! Exactly!

There are people dying in the world! And this record company is giving out because apple is using apple's own logo in iTunes!

Give it a rest you idiots!

I wonder if Paul McCartney had anything to do with this!!

After all didn't he recently rewrite the credits to some of John Lennon's songs to his name! Great respect for the dead, idiot!!

Yeah!!

You have a great point!!

If a company has money, they shouldn't be allowed to sue another company for breach of contract!!

Everyone's an idiot but you!!
  • Reply 18 of 106
    rdas7rdas7 Posts: 32member
    And here I was thinking that it was the Beatles' record company that made the iPod... doh!

Why doesn't Apple Computer just buy Apple Corps once and for all and end this whole discussion. Surely the valuation of the company is less than a settlement?

Oh, and then Apple Computer would own a record company and be able to sign bands directly via a button in iTunes, and power would return to the people, right on!
  • Reply 19 of 106
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wilco

Yeah!!

You have a great point!!

If a company has money, they shouldn't be allowed to sue another company for breach of contract!!

Everyone's an idiot but you!!

Post of the week

Apple Corps Ltd. is doing exactly what Apple would do themselves. The courts is there to decide conflicts like this. Let this work itself out. I doubt either of the involved are so passionate about this as the majority here.
  • Reply 20 of 106
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ireland I wonder if Paul McCartney had anything to do with this!!

After all didn't he recently rewrite the credits to some of John Lennon's songs to his name! Great respect for the dead, idiot!! [/B]

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

These are songs that Paul McCartney wrote by himself but due to an agreement early on the two of them signed an agreement to give credit to both John and Paul for any song that John or Paul wrote even if one of them wrote it all by himself.

The issue I have with it is that he isn't asking Yoko to change all the songs John wrote by himself to show that only John wrote it. Basically Paul is trying to make himself look better and, oh by the way, get all the royalties for those songs for himself. I'm not against the latter if it wasn't for the former. John and Paul have a signed agreement and he should have thought about this before John died and talked to him. Obviously that is too late now.