Apple unveils Intel-based MacBook notebooks

Comments

• Reply 61 of 440
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdbartlett

I've never been happier to own a 12" PowerBook. Why do people want an ultraportable computer? Guess, go on. That's right, ultraportability:

MacBook

Height: 1.08 inches (2.75 cm)

Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)

Depth: 8.92 inches (22.7 cm)

Weight: 5.2 pounds (2.36 kg)

PowerBook 12"

Height: 1.18 inches (3.0 cm)

Width: 10.9 inches (27.7 cm)

Depth: 8.6 inches (21.9 cm)

Weight: 4.6 pounds (2.1 kg)

MacBook

4-5x faster core-duo

iSight

Magsafe connector and latch

remote

widescreen

dual-boot

PowerBook 12"

snail-like performance of the 5 year old G4 chip

none of the above new features

The 12" was the weakest seller of all Apple portables so they did away with it. No big deal.
  • Reply 62 of 440
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

It's $1099.

Let me repeat that: it's $1099.

Yeah, it has its let downs, and I'm not sure why anyone would buy anything but the 1099 model, but for $300 more than a Mac Mini you get more CPU, a screen, a keyboard, and a battery. And it's not much bigger. It's yet another trojan horse, especially for people who might spend $400 on an iPod. I expect it to sell fantastically well.

It's good for the price. I just wanted to pay a bit more and have decent graphics.
  • Reply 63 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorya

It's good for the price. I just wanted to pay a bit more and have decent graphics.

Then the MacBook Pro is your machine!
  • Reply 64 of 440
    lhvidelhvide Posts: 68member
    I want a black anodized aluminum MBPro 12" with 256mb dedicated graphics. Then I can take it with me when i travel and hook it up to a 30" display and play games at home and do the same at the office to actually do real work......

I love my 12" PB, but it is a slow piece of sh$t
  • Reply 65 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by solsun

MacBook

4-5x faster core-duo

iSight

Magsafe connector and latch

remote

widescreen

PowerBook 12"

snail-like performance of the 5 year old G4 chip

none of the above new features

The 12" was the weakest seller of all Apple portables so they did away with it. No big deal.

Apart from the processor, there's nothing compelling about any of these things. FrontRow and a remote? On an ultraportable? It's just silly. All 13" of widescreen? Can a different shape really be called a "feature"? Well, I guess there is the extra 32 pixels all along the bottom besides, that's almost enough for the dock...

The Magsafe is nice, I'll admit that. But this is a laptop (ultraportable, no less!) - most of the time I'm using it unplugged and away from outlets. Good thing the 12" has got a 4-5 hour battery life (actually switched on, on a wireless network and everything). Apple is so proud of the MacBooks battery life its technical specs get as specific as "55 watts per hour".

I have no real use for iSight, but I can understand why people would like that, too.

The 12" performs comfortably enough for ultraportable use. It runs applications. It closes. It burns DVDs for backup. You get the idea. And, because of OS X, it runs faster than my 2 Ghz Windows XP laptop.

EDIT: Corrected typo in number of pixels. Thanks.
  • Reply 66 of 440
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Some people need a Superdrive DVD burner.

I think this is a small number of people. The only time I've ever burned a DVD is to make a Linux install disc. I don't really see what's the point of burning DVDs unless you are making video, which most folks use the internet to deliver these days.
  • Reply 67 of 440
    Quote:

Apart from the processor, there's nothing compelling about any of these things. FrontRow and a remote? On an ultraportable? It's just silly. All 13" of widescreen? Can a different shape really be called a "feature"? Well, I guess there is the extra 12 pixels all along the bottom! That's almost enough for the dock...

The Magsafe is nice, I'll admit that. But this is a laptop (ultraportable, no less!) - most of the time I'm using it unplugged and away from outlets. Good thing the 12" has got a 4-5 hour battery life (actually switched on, on a wireless network and everything). Apple is so proud of the MacBooks battery life its technical specs get as specific as "55 watts per hour".

I have no real use for iSight, but I can understand why people would like that, too.

The 12" performs comfortably enough for ultraportable use. It runs applications. It closes. It burns DVDs for backup. You get the idea. And, because of OS X, it runs faster than my 2 Ghz Windows XP laptop.

Well then, as you said, you should be happy you have the 12", however, don't try to discount the fact that the majority of consumers will be happier with the new MacBook and its additional features.

And yes, the processor performance is very compelling. And yes, a "different shape" (widescreen) can be considered a feature, especially for the target demo (students and average consumers) who will be using the MacBook for movies and multimedia functions. FrontRow and a remote are verycool, I didn't think I'd find it useful until I actually got it. It's a great addition. And dual-boot means you'd no longer need your 2 ghz Windows XP laptop. Having two laptops in one is what I'd call "ultra-portable."
  • Reply 68 of 440
    xhuixhui Posts: 2member
    kindof disappointed with the new lineups.

i won't want to upgrade to a MacBook anymore as it really only replaces the iBook line and not the 12" PowerBook. I've already got a x8 SuperDrive, 1.25GBram (ok i upgraded it), 80GB and its LIGHTER and SMALLER.

don't get me wrong, MB are wonderful products.. but not too appealing for a 12" PB user i reckon. If only there's a 12" MBP... 15"'s a tat too heavy for me to carry around.. oh well.... \

am new to the forum. just my 2cents..
  • Reply 69 of 440
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Once you try black, you can't go back!
  • Reply 70 of 440
    Quote:

And dual-boot means you'd no longer need your 2 ghz Windows XP laptop. Having two laptops in one is what I'd call "ultra-portable."

I wish! I only keep the XP laptop around for testing through Remote Desktop (development is faster on the powerbook even when the client/projected target is a Windows machine). I'd like to get rid of it, but don't want to spend any money on Virtual PC or a non-OEM version of XP Pro. (I only have the OEM CD that came with the laptop).

Ah well, I guess I was wrong about the 'hifi', I could easily be wrong about this, too...
  • Reply 71 of 440
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I like the super drive, but I burn a lot of DVDs.

The price on the black model is odd; black DVD cases are cheaper than white or clear... they seem to be going for the extra income.

That said, I think the black one will really stand out, and will sell very well. Like with the iPods, Apple will be surprised by the sales.
  • Reply 72 of 440
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    These are amazing deals. Same low-end price, with PRO features! Not stripped down!

Dual CPU cores

Dual display spanning

Gigabit Ethernet

Sudden Motion Sensor and MagSafe

Scrolling trackpad

1280x800 13.3" widescreen (and some people like the glossy look)

FrontRow remote

iSight webcam/camcorder with mic

WiFi g and Bluetooth 2

CD burning and DVD playback (slot-load)

Optical/digital AND analog audio in AND out

All standard. That blows away the outgoing iBooks.

Integrated graphics are to be expected on a low-end machine. Find the above specs in a 1" think package from another name brand computer maker, and see what it costs you even WITHOUT the iLife software bundle thrown in!

But to really make the family complete, I think Apple needs an ultraportable
  • Reply 73 of 440
    sororcasororca Posts: 69member
    Screen choice..

I am buying a 15" Macbook Pro 2.16GHz simply because of the awesome graphics card. But now I have to choose between a glossy or matte screen?

So, help!

I'm going to use the Macbook Pro for photoediting, student work (yes, work) and playing World of Warcraft :-)

Maybe even outdoors, once in a a while, in the grass during summer...

Which screen is best for these uses?

Thanx for everything!

Soeren
  • Reply 74 of 440
    I feet the same way man and I don't even have a one yet but that one is the perfect size after using a lightweight IBM that I just carry on it's own to meetings. Can't imagine doing that with a 15" and the new ones have a good price but can you play games with those with 1 Gb RAM?b
  • Reply 76 of 440
    scavangerscavanger Posts: 286member
    After owning a laptop with a glossy screen, I would suggest against it. It seemed like a great idea before and for a little while after I bought it, but after a while you'll hate it. I'd recommend against it.

Apple went the reverse direction here. From matte to gloss from lowend dedicated graphics to intergrated. I don't understand. Why does apple have to gimp one part of their laptops to make there magical distinction between pro and consumer (which doesn't really exist)
  • Reply 77 of 440
    Quote:

I wish! I only keep the XP laptop around for testing through Remote Desktop (development is faster on the powerbook even when the client/projected target is a Windows machine). I'd like to get rid of it, but don't want to spend any money on Virtual PC or a non-OEM version of XP Pro. (I only have the OEM CD that came with the laptop).

I know that PC re-sale value sucks, but you could always sell your Windows machine on ebay to cover the costs of purchasing an XP license, you might even come out ahead a few bucks!
  • Reply 78 of 440
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sororca

Maybe even outdoors, once in a a while, in the grass during summer...

Matte. Gloss means more reflectivity.
  • Reply 79 of 440
    You have to realize too that 60% of macbooks sold will be to college students. With the education discount you save $50 on the 1099 model, and $100 on the 1299 and 1499 model. At those prices this notebook is an awesome deal.
  • Reply 80 of 440
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'm pretty amused by the price premium for black machines.

Why?

I'm amused because I'd seen posts here on this forum and elsewhere where people stated explicitly that they'd pay extra for a machine if they could get a black one. Well, it seems your wish is granted . Enjoy!

As for me, the white base model looks completely kick ass!

Concerned about the weight? The 12" iBook it replaces weighed 4.9 lbs. I can handle the extra ounces for the features this thing offers. Yeah, it's over 1/2 lb heavier than the 12" PowerBook and that's a bit of a bummer.

I'm on the fence with the glossy screen. I've seen it in a number of PC laptops and aside from some possible glare issues, it looks nice enough. I've never been big on computing outside anyhow. If I'm outside I've got better things to do .

All things considered, I'd say that the MacBook completely fulfilled my expectations and then some. Is it perfect? No. Will it sell like mad? Yes, Hell yes.

Quote:

Some people want a Superdrive DVD burner.

Fixed that for you .