New Macbook Overheat Problems already!!

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 130
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    My macbook crashes a lot. This is my 5th apple and I haven't had any troubles with the others....

I repiared permissions and ran cocktail or whatever.

Yesterday I was burning a DVD and it crashed in the middle of it, today I was working on a web site, previewing it in safari, clicked on an image a few times (testing javascript) and it froze, restarted, noticed my my iChat status in the menu bar was gone, opened iChat, preferences- click the check box for show status in menu bar, and it froze again.

The bottom is very hot, I don't have the little plastic thing on the vents, I'm thinking about calling Apple...

It doesn't kernal panic, just freezes- it's done it about 6 times in the last 2 days. Sometimes when I restart the computer it hangs at the grey screen and I have to power down again.

Any ideas?
  • Reply 122 of 130
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

Any ideas?

Yes, send it back to Apple. It's defective.
  • Reply 123 of 130
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Totally. You have a good case for a fix/ replacement. I'd try to push for a brand new unit in exchange, rather than them techs just changing the motherboard or something.
  • Reply 124 of 130
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. H

Yes, send it back to Apple. It's defective.

Well- today it froze at work and I turned it off and it wouldn't come back up. Black screen with solid power light.

THey're shipping me a box.
  • Reply 125 of 130
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    MacBooks overheating? Call me when it gets to this point.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/d...mes-182257.php
  • Reply 126 of 130
    Originally posted by Neruda

MacBooks overheating? Call me when it gets to this point.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/d...mes-182257.php

That's fracking so awesome.
  • Reply 127 of 130
    Here's the latest on my MacBook.

I called them last night after work because my status has been "pending shipping" since Friday.

The guy said that my MacBook got it's logic board replaced and they were ready to ship it and it failed the hardware test and now it's on hold again waiting for a another part. He said he "hopes" that I get it by Wednesday (on Wednesday it'll be 13 days)!

This is really upsetting because my MacBook has been in repair longer than I've actually owned the thing! If I don't hear anything by tomorrow night (shipping update on the web site) I'm going to call again and demand they ship me a new one.

It makes me nervous that it's failing hardware tests left and right and I just bought it!

What do you think are my odds of getting a new MacBook? Do I want a new one our would it be better to wait it out until my get my tested, error free, 3 week old, one back?
  • Reply 128 of 130
    I think you should try and get a brand new one because of such major delays, if possible. Yes, you could wait and get it all tested and stuff, but the delays would be rather annoying. Usually it comes down to what the fair trade laws are in your state.

When I was in San Fran before the AppleStore opened, CompUSA (right next to where the Apple Store is now) did the logic board replacements pretty quick and quite smartly*

In Australia sometimes you have to drag out the fair trading laws of the state and then "threaten" Apple Australia for you to get some real response.

I guess depends how demanding you want to be.

The key is that as far as we know the chance of the repair people getting another defective logic board is the same as the chance of a NEW MacBookPro having a defective logic board

*Bloody firewire card I installed in my Dell PC was burning out my iBook FW400 port everytime I connected the two. Had to do two logic board replacements.
  • Reply 129 of 130
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

This is really upsetting because my MacBook has been in repair longer than I've actually owned the thing! If I don't hear anything by tomorrow night (shipping update on the web site) I'm going to call again and demand they ship me a new one.

It makes me nervous that it's failing hardware tests left and right and I just bought it!

What do you think are my odds of getting a new MacBook? Do I want a new one our would it be better to wait it out until my get my tested, error free, 3 week old, one back?

I'd check to see if there is a lemon law that applies to consumer products.
  • Reply 130 of 130
    OK- I called them again. This is what I got.

The original logic board was replaced, then they tested it, and it failed the battery test.

They're fixing the battery right now and going to test it out today and ship it tomorrow morning- it should be here by Thursday.

I should have just brought it back to the store and exchanged it instead of sending it away for service.

Here's to a healthy tested MacBook when it returns!