Originally posted by segovius

Germany march on! ...

I grew 10 years older the last 120 min.

Unbelievable.
  • Reply 302 of 528
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Well deserved - insane substitutions by Argentina though and a disgraceful fight at the end. We really don;t need that sort of ungraciousness in defeat, soured the tournament imo.

The argies have always been like that. Their society encourages diving and trickery...they call it "picardÃ*a criolla"...they then are the most classless losers and probably the biggest crybabies aswell( tight fight for the top spot with Italy). Every tournament that they lose and there's medals involved, they take them off after they're awarded to them.

I was disappointed in Germany. While they never shot on goal once in the first half, the argies completely dominated possession. In the second half, considering how much shorter the argies are...they get scored on a corner kick!

And how pathetic were the Germans who couldn't make any decent crosses? Of course, fortunately for them, Ballack makes a decent cross and they tie the game up. Nice goal.

Don't cry for me......
  • Reply 303 of 528
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

If your opinion of the alleged penalty kick and the 'biased ref' is anything to go by I'd say that was an excellent idea....

Well said.
  • Reply 304 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Argentina should have had a PK with the foul in the penalty area (unless I am blind); the ref got a thumbs up and a pat on the back for that one.

Your problem is that you don't have a clue about footie. That has more than been established already. Even the commentators (mexicans and openly rooting for the argies) agreed it was a dive. Please, stick to...yachting.
    Quote:

And to the booing... Though I thought England had the World Booing Cup under wraps, they may have lost the title to Germany, who made that a very difficult match to watch. They boo a downed player who had to be carried off, and every time Arg got the ball, period. Sick. Just sick.

Here we go again with the booing. What the hell is wrong with you? Did your older sisters scare you with BOOO too often when you were young or something?

Goodness. Here's a clue for you. The fans thought, and justifiably so because they were pressuring the argies for a tying goal and well, the argentinians are master divers and tricksters, they thought that the goalie was faking an injury to waste time. Are you that dense?
  • Reply 305 of 528
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    THe faster the diving teams get out of the tournament, the happier I am. so I am happy that there is only one left.

Let's go Ukraine!

Hopefully, the Voronin injury will lead them to play Milevsky, who is young and unpredictable. Plus, if Ukraine get to the semis, my bets come out extremely well.
  • Reply 306 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

I was disappointed in Germany. While they never shot on goal once in the first half, the argies completely dominated possession. In the second half, considering how much shorter the argies are...they get scored on a corner kick!

You missed they most important point: granted the Argies

somewhat dominated the first half, they were not able to put

this domination into success, say, goals. They were not able to

press The Germans back. Anyhow, The Germans somewhat dominated

the second half, which brought the goal. That was inevitable.

The same with the 3rd and 4th half. Without Goals.
  • Reply 307 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

The faster the diving teams get out of the tournament, the happier I am. so I am happy that there is only one left.

Dito.
  • Reply 308 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

And to the booing... Though I thought England had the World Booing Cup under wraps, they may have lost the title to Germany, who made that a very difficult match to watch. They boo a downed player who had to be carried off, and every time Arg got the ball, period. Sick. Just sick.

Where did you see that? Also, what's wrong about to boo fiercly

against a Diver ?
  • Reply 309 of 528
    Yeah... what really drive me nuts about the Argies is that they pass laterally on counterattacks. To do that successfully, you need to have a rugby-style echelon working for you. Otherwise, it slows the ball down and negates the counterattack.

What I like about the Germans -- and it's something I almost never see -- is that they don't like to waste their possesion. When they have to retreat in the midfield, they swing out their wingers and their center midfielders can move the ball forward-and-out instead of back to the defenders. This is actually quite hard to do reliably without a lot of team practice and good fitness.
  • Reply 310 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

You missed they most important point: granted the Argies

somewhat dominated the first half,

Somewhat???? Bergermeister is that you??? Here's your somewhat. Try 67% to 33%!!! My goodness. And for the whole game...here's your "somewhat"....argies 58% to Germany 42%. And that is the official FIFA match report.
    Quote:

this domination into success, say, goals. They were not able to press The Germans back. Anyhow, The Germans somewhat dominated the second half, which brought the goal.

Actually it is you who doesn't get it. That was argentina's game plan....too bad you can't read spanish because then you could read it yourself from their sports websites. And you don't "somewhat dominate" anything. You either dominate or you don't.

Besides, you are wrong aswell because if that had been the case...after a half in which argentina completely dominated possession(67-33) to still end up with a 16% deficit in possession after a whole game would've meant Germany being the only team on the field in the second half and that wasn't the case. Heck, even after germany tied it was argentina doing the bulk of the attacking. How blind can you be?

All in all, it was Germany playing at home, in front of their own fans...and they still couldn't attack much at all except for about 10 mins. in which they went forward to get the equalizer.

It was their obigation to attack more than the argies...and they couldn't do that. Argies 12 shots . Germany 10. 5-5 tie in shots on goal.
  • Reply 311 of 528
    Quote:

Somewhat???? Bergermeister is that you???

No it's me. Well, please, i clearly said, yes! the Argies

dominated the first half. To put "somewhat" aside is

jerky at the most. You are right. BUT, and hopefully you admit

it, Domination and stats about possession etc, are pretty often pretty wrong.

At least they don't tell something about Tactics etc.

The Argies didn't find any Gap to go through, not even the

tiniest gap. That's it. Sorry for that. I didn't say, the Argies

sucked big time. No, the opposite is true. The Argies are

playing eventually the most advanced "Fussball" right now.

But they missed the purpose, which is scoring Goals. No?

No reason to get offensive, right?

If Domination doesn't lead into "GOALS", (that's what this Game is

strictly about), than Domination is glaring worthless.
  • Reply 312 of 528
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    I agree with Vox... TOP does not seem to really mean that much (they can increase the TOP by crossing in the backfielf like Brazil did in their last match). If you have a low TOP but do the right things, you can still win the game.

Arg did dominate the first half, Germany the second and the first half of ET and Arg the second half of ET. Germany put on one heck of a lot of pressure in the 2nd, but only got one goal. With that pressure, I expected another goal in ET, but Ger couldn't manage it.

Any stats for the 2nd half control?
  • Reply 313 of 528
    Quote:

Domination and stats about possession etc, are pretty often pretty wrong.

At least they don't tell something about Tactics etc.

Goodness, I just explained this to you. It was argentina's tactic from the get go to try to maintain possession. Sure, that doesn't necessarily translate into scoring chances...but guess what...and I'm sure this is new to you: If you don't have possession you can't score (germany).
    Quote:

The Argies didn't find any Gap to go through, not even the tiniest gap.

Neither team did. We agree there.

Quote:

But they missed the purpose, which is scoring Goals. No?

So did germany. In fact it was argentina who were closer to score number 2 than germany. I recall a rodriguez shot that barely missed the post, a header that Lehman had to save on the line and a ball that hit the crossbar. Germany? Not much at all. Only crosses that sailed 20 feet over everyone.

Quote:

If Domination doesn't persue into "GOALS", (that's what this Game is strictly about), than Domination is glaring worthless.

I just explained it to you. One more time. If you don't have possession, you can't score. That was argentina's tactic. Maintain possession and keep it on the ground. They "kept" the ball and it almost worked. It almost worked in overtime aswell. When germany desperately went forward to try to tie, they dominated possession for about 10 minutes.

Do you recall ANY saves by the argentinian goalies?
  • Reply 314 of 528
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Italy is up 1-0 very early.

Interesting thing about the roster was Italy has three players with yellows starting, and two with reds listed as subs. Ukraine has no yellows or reds.
  • Reply 315 of 528
    Ukraine is a very innocent team. They lack both the talent and the experience. Here's hoping Sheva gets ahold of one (or two) and scores.

I wonder how germany feels about facing Italy. They got stuffed by them 4-1 in March. Ouch.

• Reply 316 of 528
    Goodness. He had Sheva unmarked in the middle of the box and decided to try and score it himself.

The Ukraine goalie is not very good is he? I'm watching the game in spanish and for those who know their footie, Jose Luis Chilavert is providing the commentary. Chilavert was the colorful Paraguayan goalie voted best goalie in the world 3 times. Needless to say, he wasn't very generous in his analysis of the urkranian goalie.

• Reply 317 of 528
    Quote:

Ukraine is a very innocent team. They lack both the talent and the experience. Here's hoping Sheva gets ahold of one (or two) and scores.

You're absolutely correct. When I made my bets (before the start of the cup) I banked on Swiss winning their group and Ukraine getting 2nd, which happened. I went out on a limb and had USA winning group E, and you can see how it goes from there.

Italy is a much stronger team than Ukraine is, and the semifinals will be much more interesting with them in it. My desire for Ukraine to win largely is for the well-being of my bracket. The rest is for a marginal sentimentality towards the Orange Party, which the them supports.

Now it's 3-0, and it doesn't look good.
  • Reply 318 of 528
    Quote:

That was argentina's tactic. Maintain possession and keep it on the ground. They "kept" the ball and it almost worked.

Right, almost. Take it easy.
  • Reply 319 of 528
    Quote:

Right, almost. Take it easy.

Of course I'm right. I'm surprised that someone as knowledgeable as you could miss their tactic. I could provide you links that talked about it prior to the game...but then again something tells me you want to remain wrong....and they're from the argie, brasilian and spanish media=different languages anyways.

58% to 42% possession. As much as I wanted argentina to lose, that's pretty sad for a host nation in the quarters.

• Reply 320 of 528
    Quote:

Of course I'm right. I'm surprised that someone as knowledgeable as you could miss their tactic. I could provide you links that talked about it prior to the game...but then again something tells me you want to remain wrong....and they're from the argie, brasilian and spanish media=different languages anyways.

58% to 42% possession. As much as I wanted argentina to lose, that's pretty sad for a host nation in the quarters.

In my opinion Argentinia lost this game the minute

Pekerman rendered these very obscure substitutes.

Come on, leaving Messi on the bench is a sakrileg,

do you agree?

Not to mention pulling Riquelme. Was he injured?

I guess not, Pekerman choosed to get over with 1:0,

that was a big mistake, if you ask me seriously.

He obviously underestimated the German believe to win.