Official World Cup Thread

Comments

• Reply 241 of 528
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

For a GK a poll on the BBC criticizes as being too small to play in the big leagues, he does pretty dag-gone good. Wonder if that poll is actually trying to say something else...

Maybe, maybe not. There are a few oriental players in the EPL and I don't think there's too much discrimination there. However, pretty much all the goalies in the EPL are very tall. In the rest of europe, it's the same way. You have a big disadvantage at set-plays when you're a small goalie.
  • Reply 242 of 528
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Maybe, maybe not. There are a few oriental players in the EPL and I don't think there's too much discrimination there. However, pretty much all the goalies in the EPL are very tall. In the rest of europe, it's the same way. You have a big disadvantage at set-plays when you're a small goalie.

Cool. Must say the same report suggested a growing number of people think Kawaguchi should be given a second chance (he once played in England but was let go fairly quickly... honestly don't know any details so I can't say more). It was sad, though, that he had to shine as he did; had the rest of the team played at his level, we would have had a different situation, perhaps.

Germany is starting the war of words before their match with Sweden: Ballack claims, "We are not afraid of anybody". Hope this is a good match and yeah, I'm rooting for Sweden.
  • Reply 243 of 528
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Sweden!
  • Reply 245 of 528
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Stand by for more when they lose tomorrow.

2:0 Germany wins
  • Reply 246 of 528
    I nearly fell asleep during the Argies v. Mexico match. GREAT goal by Rodriguez, though.
  • Reply 247 of 528
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Asleep? One of the greatest WC matches in at least the last 4 tournaments.

It was a very good match, but I'm not sure about one of the greatest in the last 16 years. I guess that would depend on what that number of "great" matches was.

Great goal by the way. Mexico was better in the first half which I NEVER expected. The argies slightly better in the second half although neither team created that many chances.

Mex: 12 shots Arg.: 11

Mex: 3 shots on goal. Arg.: 5 shots on goal

Mex: 49% possession Arg: 51%

Fifa has officially given the first goal to Crespo. I thought the referee was below average. I thought he "overlooked" at least 2 yellow cards to the argies and he fell for EVERY argentinian dive....of which there were quite a bit. In fact, if we went by the rules..that own goal should've been a high kick by Crespo.

All I can say is that Germany and arg will be a great match. If the argies play like this they will lose. Lahm must be salivating at the prospect of going against Scaloni if indeed that happens.

I guess I was a little off on my Arg. 4-Mexico 0 prediction.
  • Reply 248 of 528
    Hey Gilsch, what do you think about the goal that Messi did?

Rare that you didn't mention that in your analisys and you did mention that Crespo goal was a high kick.

Anyway Argentina wins one more time, and I enjoy that.
  • Reply 249 of 528
    Quote:

One of the greatest WC matches in at least the last 4 tournaments.

The problem is that, somehow, the South American game of short passing has entered the vernacular as "creative and good" whereas playing the counter attack is "boring and bad." I disagree. A truly creative team know how to vary its offense. After minute 12, Arg vs Mex was the same thing over and over and over.

You have to wonder why, when down a goal in overtime, why Mexico was so insistent on playing their ineffective ground game. At 29 minutes into it, they made a short pass off a free kick in the attacking third. WTF? Their only goal came from the air.

After the 4th minute, Mexico was so toothless. I'm upset that Argentina was so lethargic as not to finish the game off in regulation time, and so insistent on diving all over the floor whenever possible. I hope Germany buries them.
  • Reply 250 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucianok

Rare that you didn't mention that in your analisys and you did mention that

The goal that Messi scored was way after the play had been whistled dead. There was no offside, but the Mexican defenders had long given up on that play because of the whistle. By the way, did you really have to create a new account for that?

Te lo explico en español mejor si te cuesta el inglés boludo?

The italian pussy referee turned a blind eye to the olympic argie diving team for most of the game. I especially loved the play on a corner kick when an argie literally smacked Borgetti(sp?) on the head and hit him on the shoulder while flying through with the referee calmly watching in the background just a few feet away. Classic. They only showd that play once on Univision but it was funny.

Hopefully Fifa will not allow this ref to continue in the tournament. Have they made a decision on the english ref who yellow-carded the same guy 3 times? lol
  • Reply 251 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by lucianok

Rare that you didn't mention that in your analisys and you did mention that Crespo goal was a high kick.

Anyway Argentina wins one more time, and I enjoy that.

Welcome to our boards, lucianok!

---

300 fans arrested... Simple lack of basic self-control, on a grande scale. If the fans can't behave themselves, don't let the team play. Or, what if the team threatened to not play if there is any stupidity like this (have they ever asked the fans to act with basic human dignity?)? The game is tonight, and will now likely be attended by a very, very large police contingent; hope they send the bill to the right place.
  • Reply 252 of 528
    Quote:

Interesting US take on 'soccer'

• Reply 253 of 528
    Quote:

Asleep?

One of the greatest WC matches in at least the last 4 tournaments.

I second that. By far the most thrilling match of the tournament. Amazing.
  • Reply 254 of 528
    Quote:

Wow. Take everything that uniquely goes to make football the most popular game on the planet and the World Cup a bigger sporting event the Olympics and describe those things as faults.

Someone's missing the point.
  • Reply 255 of 528
    regreg Posts: 832member
    Since we don't do well in soccer we have to spin things out our way. We use to be the same with basketball and baseball.

reg
  • Reply 256 of 528
    Quote:

I like this part from an intelectual POV, though i think it is pure

speculation anyway based on utter misunderstanding of Fussball the European way.

Quote:

DESPITE HEROIC EFFORTS ...

Our country has yet to succumb to the nihilism, existentialism, and anomie that have overtaken Europe. A game about nothing, in which scoring is purely incidental, holds scant interest for Americans who still believe the world makes sense, that life has a larger meaning and structure, that being is not an end in itself, being qua being.

• Reply 257 of 528
    Another embarrassing performance by England. John Terry to this point has got to be one of the worst central defenders in the WC. I hope his current form is permanent.

Disappointed that Ecuador didn't push harder for the equalizer because I thought they would be the ones less affected by the heat and humidity.

Nice goal by Beckham...however one good play does not justify him being captain. Did you see him throwing up? Yikes.

And Eriksson...Carra for Joe Cole??? I could understand subbing for Beckham..but a central defender for...Cole?? And why doesn't Lennon start is one for the ages.
  • Reply 258 of 528
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Holland v Portugal - most excitement I've ever seen in a game. Love it. 16 Yellow Cards - 4 Red. Unbelievable.
  • Reply 259 of 528
    Quote:

Te lo explico en español mejor si te cuesta el inglés boludo?

Tres idiomas no te dieron la educacion minima para dirigirte a una persona.
  • Reply 260 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Holland v Portugal - most excitement I've ever seen in a game. Love it. 16 Yellow Cards - 4 Red. Unbelievable.

The ref was a poor guy, to put it in a nut: a catastrophy.

He'd better cut the play short after minute 70 something.

The minute he didn't pulled the red card against this

severe Boulharouz (min. 8, after a really dangerous foul

against Ronaldo), the minute he lost control over the entire game.

The fierce attacks of the Portugiese people were understandable,

but not acceptable. It was a bloody mixed mess after all. Jeez.

What a game.