Official World Cup Thread

Comments

• Reply 321 of 528
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

In my opinion Argentinia lost this game the minute

Pekerman rendered these very obscure substitutes.

Come on, leaving Messi on the bench is a sakrileg,

do you agree?

Not playing Messi is sacrilegious? lol Well, I'm sure a lot of people would agree with you. I think he's gonna be a great player for many years, but I'm not sure he would've made a difference because both teams were playing not to lose as opposed to playing to win...waiting to capitalize on a mistake by the opponent. The substitutions will be something to talk about. As of yet, I haven't seen any controversies about it. We'll see about tomorrow.

Quote:

Not to mention pulling Riquelme. Was he injured?

I guess not, Pekerman choosed to get over with 1:0,

that was a big mistake, if you ask me seriously.

He obviously underestimated the German believe to win.

I honestly don't know if Riquelme was injured, but he certainly had been missing in action for two games. The argies either love him or hate him. Pekerman chose to "defend" the result. I don't think he underestimated the German will to win. I think he was just going by what Germany had done to that point....not much....so maybe he thought his team would be able to keep the germans from scoring.

What I can tell you is that I read that Riquelme had been getting dead tired in the last 15+ minutes of most games(and his passing had become erratic because of that) so it would make sense to take him out while leading and bring on a defensive midfielder. It obviously didn't work, but if Riquelme had been exhausted, it would've been even worse in extra time.
  • Reply 322 of 528
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Now ENG vs. POR

Pretty boring, both of them play not to lose instead to win.

Maybe they gonna change their tactics a bit in the 2.

half. I guess both of them have pretty bad memory about

shot-outs, so they have to score in regular time.
  • Reply 323 of 528
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Agreed... a slow game.

Wait. Beckham's crying on the bench (replaced with a painful leg).

Wait again... Rooney got a red card. 11 on 10 now.
  • Reply 324 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

Agreed... a slow game.

Wait. Beckham's crying on the bench (replaced with a painful leg).

Wait again... Rooney got a red card. 11 on 10 now.

Extra Time. Portugiese roll it.
  • Reply 325 of 528
    Shot-out!

I've seen an awful kick so far. I am a bit disappointed

about Portugal. I guess Brazilia will crush either team of them

in the upcoming semi finale. .

Edit: Well, France should crush them too, if they pass through

the next level.
  • Reply 326 of 528
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO hooooo hoooo hooooo!!!!!!

Portugal sends England home!

Not the greatest match, and very nerve-racking at the end. England also for the first time that I have checked fouled many more times than their opponent; usually they are very clean.

Hargreaves had a few fouls back to back which lead us to a question: is there a limit as to how many fouls a player can commit?
  • Reply 327 of 528
    Quote:

Pretty boring, both of them play not to lose instead to win.

Maybe they gonna change their tactics a bit in the 2.

half. I guess both of them have pretty bad memory about

shot-outs, so they have to score in regular time.

Actually both teams had more shots on goal than the abomination of the first half of yesterday's arg vs. ger game.

From the get go Eriksson, as usual...clueless. One play in the first half that told the story: Rooney controls a long pass and there is not one teammate within 60 feet of him while he's surrounded by 6 defenders.

Man, England are terrible at penalty kicks. lol And I can't believe they chose Carragher to be one of the first kickers. If you see the good in the bad....at least English fans should be happy Eriksson won't be around anymore. Props to England. Even with 10 men they had 3 or 4 clear chances to win it: Lampard totally unmarked in the box on a corner kick.

Cole kicking it over the bar from 7 yards, Lennon not being able to bury his shot with his left foot inside the box, and Terry's kick rebounding just over the crossbar. Portugal didn't have as many shots inside the box and they only forced the english goalie to make maybe 2 saves that were actually on goal. Will Portugal choke yet again?

Bergermeister: you make such a ridiculous issue about booing...(understandable for someone who is probably watching his first sporting event outside of yachting)... and now you come here to boo a team AFTER they lose. Pretty weak and cowardly. You're no better than the same fans you criticize so much for booing.

Here's a little hint for you. Booing happens in all sports. Baseball, rugby, football, basketball, hockey ,even in tennis.
  • Reply 328 of 528
    France and Brazil starting soon... Though I would like to see France win, and Brazil has been slightly out of pace so far, I think Brazil will win 2-1. Any other calls?
  • Reply 329 of 528
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bergermeister

France and Brazil starting soon... Though I would like to see France win, and Brazil has been slightly out of pace so far, I think Brazil will win 2-1. Any other calls?

For me it's 50 / 50 .

Anything can happen.

I will bet, that this match will be great, and at the contrary of england vs Portugal there would be goals before the end
  • Reply 330 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Actually both teams had more shots on goal than the abomination of the first half of yesterday's arg vs. ger game. ...

Abomination!!! Nice pick for a not too heady kick
  • Reply 331 of 528
    Quote:

Abomination[/B]!!! Nice pick for a not too heady kick

What the heck is a "not too heady kick"? No idea what that means...or what you are referring to.

So far France is playing very well. Zidane has had a very good game. Brasil can't find the ball and when they do, they lose it and seem in danger on those quick counterattacks.

In South America it is believed that the best way to beat Brasil is to attack it. France is going to win this game if Brasil don't pick it up. The Brasil midfield has been erased off the pitch thus far. Credit to France.

France is also exploiting the right side where Cafú is playing...where most of the attacks are coming from. I would play Cicinho ahead of 36 year old Cafú...but then again, I'm not Parreira.

• Reply 332 of 528
    Quote:

[B]What the heck is a "not too heady kick"? No idea what that means...or what you are referring to.

• Reply 333 of 528
    Quote:

[B]Abomination!!! Nice pick for a not too heady kick

Well, you wrote that...so if you're confused....you really are confused. "Nice pick for a not too heady kick". Ok.

Congrats to France. Excellent game. Excellent tactic to "suffocate" Brasil's midfield knowing that since Ronaldo and roNIKEdinho don't help out on defense they could overrun their midfield and gain men advantages and openings while attacking....and we know Brasil's defenders are probably better at attacking than defending. Beautiful finish by Henry.

France was the best team today and probably the best team in both the 1st knock out round and the quarters. Wasn't this team having a lot of problems?

They're looking sharp and Zinadine is Zinadine one last time.
  • Reply 334 of 528
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Well, you wrote that...so if you're confused....you really are confused. "Nice pick for a not too heady kick". Ok.

Congrats to France. Excellent game. Excellent tactic to "suffocate" Brasil's midfield knowing that since Ronaldo and roNIKEdinho don't help out on defense they could overrun their midfield and gain men advantages and openings while attacking....and we know Brasil's defenders are probably better at attacking than defending. Beautiful finish by Henry.

France was the best team today and probably the best team in both the 1st knock out round and the quarters. Wasn't this team having a lot of problems?

They're looking sharp and Zinadine is Zinadine one last time.

I was a little bit surprising to see that Brazil was not able to develop it's game. Zinedine did a great game and desserved it's superstar status.

Strange that there will be only europeans teams in the semifinals.
  • Reply 335 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

I was a little bit surprising to see that Brazil was not able to develop it's game. Zinedine did a great game and desserved it's superstar status.

I agree if what you mean by Brasil not being able to find itself and a team is for the whole world cup and not just this game.

France were outstanding today. Brasil looked like a team of lazy or overweight primadonnas and France looked like a well oiled machine. Zinadine was great. I hope roNIKEdinho was watching....from his home in Barcelona where he's been the last 5 weeks.

Brasil didn't look good in any of their games. They barely beat a couple of teams and then they beat anabsolutele garbage team like Japan and a very innocent team like Ghana who actually exposed Brasil's shaky defense by creating quite a few clear chances.

The way it's going right now, I hope France win the WC. Right now, without question, they are the best side left.

Congrats Powerdoc.
  • Reply 336 of 528
    Quote:

Well, you wrote that...so if you're confused....you really are confused. "Nice pick for a not too heady kick". Ok....

Btw, i refered to the GER-ARG match yesterday. Calm down a bit.
  • Reply 337 of 528
    Quote:

Btw, i refered to the GER-ARG match yesterday. Calm down a bit.

No need to calm down. I simply asked you what you were referring to when you posted that in relation to the word abomination and then you replied with a confused smilie....lol...

So what is a "not too heady kick" and what does it have to do with the word abomination?
  • Reply 338 of 528
    Quote:

The way it's going right now, I hope France win the WC. Right now, without question, they are the best side left.

We will see in a couple of days. I am impressed

by France too, because the first 3 matches were

far from convincing. But they have a little bit the

same manner as the Germans, they develop themself from

play to play.
  • Reply 339 of 528
    Quote:

No need to calm down. I simply asked you what you were referring to when you posted that in relation to the word abomination and then you replied with a confused smilie....lol...

"confused smilie" means "confused smilie" (by your answers,

if you don't mind.

Quote:

So what is a "not too heady kick" and what does it have to do with the word abomination?

You say abomination, which i think is a bit harsh,

to put it simple. I'd rather say it was not a heady kick,

that everyone wished to see. (Strictly from a German Point of view.

If you don't mind.

Cheers
  • Reply 340 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

From the very first minute i was under the impression Brazilia

seemed to be exhausted very much. Though i don't have any explanation

for their poor performance. Maybe to much pressure from the

brazilian media (who didn't expect nothing more than the next

scoop). But then, heck, every squad of any significance has to deal

with that.