Official World Cup Thread

Comments

• Reply 281 of 528
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

Originally posted by reg

Very good game. I should have listened to who ever said Spain would choke.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gilsch

Spain is looking good. But they have looked good in the past aswell...only to crash and burn. Just like Portugal.

Well, France looked good. Very quick and a lot of movement and solid defensively. I'm really liking Ribery. Sagnol had a heck of a game on defense aswell.

España, España, España. You did it again.
  • Reply 282 of 528
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    It's going to be Germany vs. Brazil. Home Team vs. World Favourite.

What a game that's going to be.
  • Reply 283 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

I really hope you're right man. Don't forget that would also be a rematch of the 2002 Final.
  • Reply 284 of 528
    dojobidojobi Posts: 73member
    Quote:

España, España, España. You did it again.

So true. For a team of such talent, they sure choke a lot when it counts. My Spanish mate is fuming atm
  • Reply 285 of 528
    vox barbaravox barbara Posts: 2,021member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Frank777

Would be fun and a nice recap of the

2002 final. Anyway, i don't think Brazilia will

reach the finale, no dice They gonna be stoped by

France. "Round"aldo vs. the elderly, fun fun fun.
  • Reply 286 of 528
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    How a football lover can support France following Henry's blatent piece of cheating is beyond me. It was almost as bad as Rivaldo's face clutching in the corner 4 years ago.

To my mind it strengthens the need to have a proper post match video review, so TH can receive a red card post event for play acting, and Puyol drops his yellow (I wouldn't use it to alter the results of matches, mind).

BTW, following the Arsenal / Barcelona Champions League final where the same Puyol marked Henry out of the game, Henry said "Next time I'll learn to dive maybe, but I am not a woman". Turns out that he has, and he is.

David
  • Reply 287 of 528
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMac David

How a football lover can support France following Henry's blatent piece of cheating is beyond me. It was almost as bad as Rivaldo's face clutching in the corner 4 years ago.

To my mind it strengthens the need to have a proper post match video review, so TH can receive a red card post event for play acting, and Puyol drops his yellow (I wouldn't use it to alter the results of matches, mind).

BTW, following the Arsenal / Barcelona Champions League final where the same Puyol marked Henry out of the game, Henry said "Next time I'll learn to dive maybe, but I am not a woman". Turns out that he has, and he is.

David

It's your interpretation.

I did not see the same thing. The spanish player did a foolish mistake.
  • Reply 288 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

It's your interpretation.

I did not see the same thing. The spanish player did a foolish mistake.

Don't mean to take sides here, but that was blatant. How could you not see it????

Puyol hit Henry on the chest and Henry dropped to the ground clutching his face???

I have suggested before that FIFA should definitely review games and suspend players who try to trick the referee by diving and over dramatization. Ban those suckers a good couple of games and make it well known why.
  • Reply 289 of 528
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Though personally I like the idea, they would have to cancel all games because almost everyone would be suspended!
  • Reply 290 of 528
    dojobidojobi Posts: 73member
    I think with this cheating epidemic, they need video refs like in cricket. ie clear cut decisions are made on the spot, but they refer anything unclear to the video ref.

Barring that, they could at least add video refs for any calls in the box.
  • Reply 291 of 528
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    Powerdoc,

as Gilsch says, what did you not see that I did? No part of Puyol's anatomy touched Henry's face, and yet he went down clutching it!

I was watching the game in the UK, and both Terry Venable and Ruud Gullit called it blatent cheating. I have to agree with them.

Going back to video, I agree that probably for a while players would get a shock. But hopefully they're not all so daft that their behaviour wouldn't change quickly.

David
  • Reply 292 of 528
    Uh, tension raises, who else can't bear the time without ...

• Reply 293 of 528
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMac David

Powerdoc,

as Gilsch says, what did you not see that I did? No part of Puyol's anatomy touched Henry's face, and yet he went down clutching it!

I was watching the game in the UK, and both Terry Venable and Ruud Gullit called it blatent cheating. I have to agree with them.

Going back to video, I agree that probably for a while players would get a shock. But hopefully they're not all so daft that their behaviour wouldn't change quickly.

David

He was not hurted to the face, but to the chest. For me if he hurted his face, it's because he lost a good occasion.

That's said I am OK for video, but unfortunately Blatter is against it : he fear that the game might be slowed down.

Note also that you need several cameras in order to have an opinion : one can show something, while other show something else.
  • Reply 294 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

That's said I am OK for video, but unfortunately Blatter is against it : he fear that the game might be slowed down.

Note also that you need several cameras in order to have an opinion : one can show something, while other show something else.

I am not saying video DURING the game...but after the game. Have a panel review the game and then suspend the divers and whoever overdramatized a play a-la-Rivaldo in 2002 or Henry in 2006.

And as far as camera angles go, I agree with you. But isn't that the same thing for refs and linesmen? Mistakes will be made, nobody's perfect. But that works towards cleaning up the game of divers and cheats anyways.

Don't wanna get banned? Play like a man, behave like a gentleman and don't try to cheat.
  • Reply 295 of 528
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Don't wanna get banned? Play like a man, behave like a gentleman and don't try to cheat.

I think the English have felt that sentiment for years.
  • Reply 296 of 528
    Quote:

I am not saying video DURING the game...but after the game. ...

Video examining for fouls cheating diving whatever afterward doesn't

make any sense. Btw, afterward video examining is current practice anyway.

A lot of players get punished afterward, in that case that the ref haven't

seen the foul within the match.

Btw i think modern football (and any kind of sport of greater

significance) is heading toward real time video observation.

This is an inevitable development and possibly brings on more

justice.

• Reply 297 of 528
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Video examining for fouls cheating diving whatever afterward doesn't

make any sense. Btw, afterward video examining is current practice anyway.

A lot of players get punished afterward, in that case that the ref haven't

seen the foul within the match.

Anything that helps stop the diving and fake injuries makes a lot of sense to me. Why doesn't it make sense to you? And video examining like this is not current practice....at least not that I'm aware of. Have a link?

In the Premiership it's mostly the FA's initiative when they deem something that happened during a game deserves a closer look. i.e violent behavior, misbehavior, inciting the fans, inappropriate conduct, spitting, wrong yellow etc. There's a difference. I speak from what I know about the Premiership.
  • Reply 298 of 528
    Quote:

Anything that helps stop the diving and fake injuries makes a lot of sense to me. Why doesn't it make sense to you? And video examining like this is not current practice....at least not that I'm aware of. Have a link?

Don't worry, of course it makes sense.

In German "Bundesliga" it is current practice, that players can be punished

after the video examination revealed a very bad foul (which the ref

didn't notice) or very unfair behaviour.

Actually, recent matches (e.g. Italy vs. Australia) pretty much revealed that

diving and nasty hidden fouls and such eventually can decide an entire

match. Hence i am all for video examining WHILE the play is taking place.
  • Reply 299 of 528
    regreg Posts: 832member
    The Argies were just playing volleyball with the ball. Germany has been dominating and it is no wonder they score. I have to travel in 15 minutes and will miss the OT if it goes that far. BUMMER!

reg
  • Reply 300 of 528
    Well, the great Germans were unable to beat Argentina in regular time... Well done, Argentina! Most of the more exciting shots on goal were by Arg, too. The Germans did put on a powerful 30 minutes in the 2nd half.

However, I wonder how much the ref was being paid by Germany. There were gross mistakes made in Germany's favor and it was pathetic. Argentina should have had a PK with the foul in the penalty area (unless I am blind); the ref got a thumbs up and a pat on the back for that one.

And to the booing... Though I thought England had the World Booing Cup under wraps, they may have lost the title to Germany, who made that a very difficult match to watch. They boo a downed player who had to be carried off, and every time Arg got the ball, period. Sick. Just sick.

The more we watch soccer, the less appealing it becomes. I think I'll stick with yachting.