Intel may launch Merom alongside Conroe

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Intel Corp. may launch its Core 2 Duo notebook chips as early as next week, a recent company roadmap has revealed.

According to a set of presentation slides obtained by the Chinese-language publication HKEPC, the world's largest chip maker may simplify its Core 2 Duo processor launch by introducing both Conroe (desktop) and Merom (notebook) variants on July 23rd.

The company's original plans called for Conroe to debut in July and Merom in August. Although Intel may now launch both chips simultaneously, Merom availability will remain targeted for August, the report states.

Based on the slides, Intel will make Merom available in five different clock speeds, each running on a 667MHz front-side bus. 2.0GHz, 2.16GHz, and 2.33GHz models will pack a 4MB Level 2 cache and retail in lots of 1000 for $294, $423 and $637 a piece, respectively.

The chips, which will succeed Intel's "Yonah" line of Core Duo processors, are expected to find their way into Apple's MacBook Pro product line before the end of the year.

Intel also plans 1.66GHz ($209) and 1.8GHz ($241) variants of Merom with 2MB of Level 2 cache, though Apple is likely to forgo the use of these chips, at least in the MacBook Pro product line.

Since Merom appears to be arriving at relatively the same price points as Yonah, its expected that Intel in September will slash the price of its Yonah processor lineup.

Apple currently employs Yonah processors in the iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro and Mac mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 151
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Well seen as none of this matters to Mac users until August anyway
  • Reply 2 of 151
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    It will be an interesting August indeed!
  • Reply 3 of 151
    Well this is interesting. Perhaps a "we're now taking orders on Conroe iMac's and Merom MacBook Pros" type deal along with the release?
  • Reply 4 of 151
    aogaog Posts: 3member
    Wow, I wonder if we´ll have Merom MBP´s by August.
  • Reply 5 of 151
    kerrumkerrum Posts: 9member
    Quote:

Originally posted by marzetta7

It will be an interesting August indeed!

I am getting more and more excited! I sure am glad that I have held off on ordering my MBP. I really hope they release a new revision of the MBP at the WWDC because I *really* do not want to wait until late fall. My iBook G3 is on its third logic board already... It might not even last that long.

-Kerrum
  • Reply 6 of 151
    interesting if the imac etc. prices got slashed but NOT updated till next Jan.

unlikely, but interesting
  • Reply 7 of 151
    Quote:

Originally posted by Trendannoyer

interesting if the imac etc. prices got slashed but NOT updated till next Jan.

unlikely, but interesting

That, my friend, would anger me greatly... Here's to hoping they just put the new chips in just in time for the back to school buying season.
  • Reply 8 of 151
    pak150pak150 Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kerrum

I am getting more and more excited! I sure am glad that I have held off on ordering my MBP. I really hope they release a new revision of the MBP at the WWDC because I *really* do not want to wait until late fall. My iBook G3 is on its third logic board already... It might not even last that long.

That makes two of us... my old PB is on its last legs, and I've been forcing it to limp along until Merom is released. With this news I definitely think we'll see new MBPs sometime in August, if not unveiled at WWDC for pre-order.
  • Reply 9 of 151
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    I also hope that they at least make some kind of announcement of a newer macbook pro. I have been waiting for a while now and I don't want to wait till end of the year. I wonder if macbook pro case will change because of this merom chip or just the processor speeds will get updated. Any ideas?

Also, when do you guys think the newer macbook pro's will be launched? Of course, no-one will actually know till the last minute when Apple announces but since I have been waiting for so long, it definitely keeps me thinking..
  • Reply 10 of 151
    abhayabhay Posts: 45member
    " The chips, which will succeed Intel's "Yonah" line of Core Duo processors, are expected to find their way into Apple's MacBook Pro product line before the end of the year.

"

Also, I am a little confused with this article; what do they mean with "the chips which will succeed Intel's Yonah line of Core Duo processors"? I am assuming they mean "Merom" chips, correct?
  • Reply 11 of 151
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Way to go, Intel. This is wonderful news if it's true.

Unless, that is, if it's a paper launch.
  • Reply 12 of 151
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    first generation of True mobile CPUs are on the way, hope they do not suck battery ...

another 22 days to go!

Here Sony selling its Vaio rock bottom prices, indeed Merom coming early ...
  • Reply 13 of 151
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shanmugam

first generation of True mobile CPUs are on the way, hope they do not suck battery ...

What's more mobile about these compared to Yonahs? Even the TDP is three watts higher.
  • Reply 14 of 151
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Talking about Meroms and Yonahs with Isreal raging war ridiculously is a bit...odd.

Don't wait for Meroms...wait for Lebanon-Killer...it's sure to be a real blast.
  • Reply 15 of 151
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zandros

What's more mobile about these compared to Yonahs? Even the TDP is three watts higher.

Performance???
  • Reply 16 of 151
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I have the original aluminum 15" 1.25 GHz PB which will be 3 yo in September so I'm definitely in the market for a Merom Core 2 Duo MBP.

Speaking of Yonah and Merom, one might give a thought to Intel Israel. Haifa has been pounded by rockets fired by Hezbollah in Lebanon. They mentioned on the news that Haifa is the Silicon Valley of Israel and Intel has a facility there. You can read about it here: Intel Israel Fab Tour

So, with these rocket attacks coming from the terrorist guerillas in Lebanon, how are those wonderful Intel people doing in Haifa? Intel Under Fire?Literally

Hope we all know the benefits of the Core 2 Duo series. If you don't, it's easy to find out. One of the things discussed in recent months was Intel's Robson flash cache technology which is supposed to be introduced with the Conroe and Merom systems. The idea is that a bit of flash memory on the logic board or in a hybrid flash/HD can boost startup times and a whole lot more. This is interesting: Robson

AppleInsider posted an article about this back on Jan. 5, saying Apple would be using Robson by the following week, according to a DigiTimes article. Oops.
  • Reply 17 of 151
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Rolo

One of the things discussed in recent months was Intel's Robson flash cache technology which is supposed to be introduced with the Conroe and Merom systems. The idea is that a bit of flash memory on the logic board or in a hybrid flash/HD can boost startup times and a whole lot more.

Robson is announced to be arriving with the Santa Rosa chipset, which is arriving in March 2007. Meroms this year will be using the same chipsets that Apple is using today ('napa' 945 series) which doesn't include Robson. Merom is a drop in replacement for laptops that already use yonah, no redesigning necessary.

Isn't it great to have these schedules so open!
  • Reply 18 of 151
    sirromsirrom Posts: 32member
    My thought is that we will NOT see the new Merom-based MBPs until September. Apple has a fairly consistent schedule of September laptop announcements. Also, there is going to be a LOT going on at WWDC, so the focus will be mainly Leopard and the new MacPro desktop computers (emphasis on the power to take the new OS to the limits). New laptops would get lost in the shuffle and Apple would love the opportunity to garner more press coverage again a month later. Final factor is that these new MBPros (sorry, no upgrade for the MacBook yet) are going to be a HUGE seller, so if Apple has access to the Merom chip in August, they can start making these and have them in strong supply before they announce. I know my biggest complaint over the years is how slow Apple is to fill the supply line with new laptops. They did a great job with the MacBooks, so I think a Spetember launch is more likely for all of these reasons.
  • Reply 19 of 151
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    Why hold off? Technically if your good with a soldering iron you could replace the chip in the current macbook pro with a merom chip if you wanted (I know that's crazy)

But that aside, why not buy a macbook now, and sell it on ebay when the new ones come out? I always do this, or just keep both.

That way I always have the most up to date computer :-)

Quote:

Originally posted by Kerrum

-Kerrum

• Reply 20 of 151
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by retroneo

Robson is announced to be arriving with the Santa Rosa chipset, which is arriving in March 2007. Meroms this year will be using the same chipsets that Apple is using today ('napa' 945 series) which doesn't include Robson. Merom is a drop in replacement for laptops that already use yonah, no redesigning necessary.

Isn't it great to have these schedules so open!

Hmm, same Merom processor but different chipset. Santa Rosa sounds really interesting and it might be out in March. Santa Rosa

Curiously, the Robson article I posted came out 3 days after the Intel press release.

More, here, with photos: Mobility, Merom & Santa Rosa