Apple previews Mac OS X Leopard

Comments

• Reply 101 of 176
    I am looking to make the switch (finally...i know). I just have one question...

If I buy, say the MacBook, now and Leopard comes out in March what will my options be for upgrading?

How much does it cost? I heard something about a family pack of a few copies, if I get some friends together how much will it cost a piece?

Most importantly is it worth waiting if I am not desperate for a new computer yet?
  • Reply 102 of 176
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealjays

I am looking to make the switch (finally...i know). I just have one question...

If I buy, say the MacBook, now and Leopard comes out in March what will my options be for upgrading?

How much does it cost? I heard something about a family pack of a few copies, if I get some friends together how much will it cost a piece?

Most importantly is it worth waiting if I am not desperate for a new computer yet?

a couple of things here.

Leopard will work just fine on a Macbook.

The family pack means just that. No friends, unless you all live at the same address. The regular version lists for $129, and the family pack of five lists for $199. Unless Apple changes that.

Usually, if you wait a week or more, Amazon will have them cheaper. Perhaps $109 - $119 for the single, to $179 -$189 for the family. Others, such as OWC.com will have discounts as well.

But, remember, Family Pack will not allow people living in seperate places to register. After the first registration, the rest won't go through. Unless Apple has changed that, but I don't think so.
  • Reply 103 of 176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Why don't they skip hop and jump to the chase and just provide built-in big-people versioning?

My guess it's built on top of rsync + hard links.

Minimal overhead for multiple versions, every snapshot looks like a full disk... best of both worlds.

Unless you're talking about something like svn... WAY overkill for the average user, and a pain in the ass to integrate. "Wow, now everything has to go through the database API even if it's just flat file!" Naw.
  • Reply 104 of 176
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    <sigh>

4Mb Cable connection

streaming keynotes still sucks
  • Reply 105 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison

<sigh>

4Mb Cable connection

streaming keynotes still sucks

It's not you.
  • Reply 106 of 176
    A somewhat different take on Leopard. Not a fanboi's view.

http://www.tomshardware.com/
  • Reply 107 of 176
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross

a couple of things here.

But, remember, Family Pack will not allow people living in seperate places to register. After the first registration, the rest won't go through. Unless Apple has changed that, but I don't think so.

Hmm? Registration?
  • Reply 108 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell

Hmm? Registration?

Well, if you are not going to register your other computers for support, why buy the Family Pack in the first place?
  • Reply 109 of 176
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

A somewhat different take on Leopard. Not a fanboi's view.

http://www.tomshardware.com/

And also wrong in a couple of places.

Stationary is new to Mail - HTML isn't.

Mail does not mail you notes - they are system wide and every app can use them.

But the 'e-mail youself notes and to-do's' is actually what I do several times every day. I'm just the right target for Notes in Mail*

I don't like RSS feeds in Mail though - it seems more stressing having to go through 25 unread RSS articles instead of opening one page in Safari with all 25 articles on it.
  • Reply 110 of 176
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Placebo

Why don't they skip hop and jump to the chase and just provide built-in big-people versioning?

The underlying system here goes way beyond that. And becomes system-wide version-control. Time Machine is a consumer-level interface into that, but I'll wager that there are APIs which allow it to appear as an easy-to-implement version control system for all apps.

C.
  • Reply 111 of 176
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ALM

I wonder if Spotlight will be able to use Time Machine.

For clarification, you're wondering if Spotlight will search Time Machine backups?

Another question: Similar to Spotlight, will Time Machine have a command line interface?

Heck if I know, yet.
  • Reply 112 of 176
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk

For clarification, you're wondering if Spotlight will search Time Machine backups?

Another question: Similar to Spotlight, will Time Machine have a command line interface?

Heck if I know, yet.

I betting on that finder window acting just like normal. He showed it so that you can view a folder, but the sidebar is present, as well as search. I'd be completely disappointed if you couldn't browse each backup of the system, via point and click or via spotlight search. Which as I said before, from a developers point of view, this is a much more complicated app than any user will ever realise.
  • Reply 113 of 176
    Quote:

Tiger launched early because, after Apple and Intel made their deal, Apple didn't want to besmirch the Dev conf with Tiger. They wanted the entire focus on the Intel relationship. They launched Tiger two months earlier than it was thought to be launched to give it plenty of time out there.

My friends inside Apple said that it was surprising that it launched when it did. considering that almost no one inside Apple knew of the Intel deal, that is not surprising.

I wasn't surprised that Apple moved the launch times of the machines up. That really was to be expected. Apple was dealing with a customer base that would drop their purchases if they knew that the machines would be HERE. So a bit of deception was needed. If they thought they had a year, they would continue to buy machines. The holiday sales proved that idea to be sound. Then, drop the shoe, and have an immediate announcement of availability of some popular models. The ones for the most fickle part of the customer base.

By that time everyone suspected that Apple would rush the rest, and so they did.

It was an obvious, and good, business strategy.

But you can't assume that it will follow for Leopard, though I suspect that it might be out somewhat before Spring.

My point wasn't so much that Leopard will release earlier than spring 2007, but that there will be new and better features coming to Leopard. Although, I can't help but imagine it coming out at MWSF 07 to blow away Vista. Nay-sayers like in that Tom's Hardware article (which got a fair amount of information wrong - mostly, it presumed that this was a complete feature list) will be reporting of this crazy "Mac OS X" which has come along, not only earlier than projected, but with double the amount of released features. Compare this to the "still lingering Vista" release with hardly any of the ground breaking features. Hmm hmm...

To be fair, I'm not sure how many new/updated features are going to be in Vista, there may be fewer in the Leopard release, but it's all mind games at the end of the day right? Leopard will look like it's getting more because the feature list got bigger, whereas Vista's got smaller.

PS. Will there be a MW Paris keynote does anyone know? I think they will use that to display more user oriented updates. If you think about the ones we have seen at WWDC, there were a lot of developer-oriented apps (Dashcode, Xcode 3, Core Animation, Spaces) or apps developers are expected to hook into (Time Machine), but not too many end user apps. They may have chosen to logically split these up so that they will be focusing on the right user groups. Not that developers aren't users, but developers will surely know of features released at MW Paris, if they see them there or on the web.
  • Reply 114 of 176
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer

the ability to turn off spotlight and dashboard

Er... you already can turn off spotlight (scroll down to the "a better way" comment), and turn off dashboard.

Another great way of diabling these features is to use 10.3.9 instead of 10.4.x
  • Reply 115 of 176
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:

The finder is PERFECT. Otherwise they would have fixed it YEARS ago.\

I hope that was a joke. (I'm not sure if your smiley at the end was in response to the message you'd quoted, or an indication that you were being sarcastic.)
  • Reply 116 of 176
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H

Er... you already can turn off spotlight (scroll down to the "a better way" comment), and turn off dashboard.

Another great way of diabling these features is to use 10.3.9 instead of 10.4.x

Yes you or I can turn it off, but grandma on the 800Mhz iMac with 256MB ram may have a hard time with that...it chould be in prefs.
  • Reply 117 of 176
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by danielctull

Where does it say that Xcode 3.0 is getting released today? I've been listening and reading, but not hearing or seeing it.

I'm sure I read it somewhere. Might have been in the IRC logs so perhaps badly quoted or misheard.
  • Reply 118 of 176
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Yes you or I can turn it off, but grandma on the 800Mhz iMac with 256MB ram may have a hard time with that...it chould be in prefs.

A grandma on an 800 MHz iMac with 256 MB RAM is unlikely to have Tiger to begin with.
  • Reply 119 of 176
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

And the new multi-desktop thing is really cool, lets say $10 shareware price..

I attempted to price the value of Leopards features earlier and I need to make a correction -- the value of this is now $0 because I can do it already -- along with a cool cube interface too on Linux... all I do is type "apt-get install XGL" and then do about 5 minutes of (well documented) configing and presto...instant 3d multidesktop...complete with neat lil' cube effect!

And it is OPEN SOURCE!

info at: http://en.opensuse.org/Xgl
  • Reply 120 of 176
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:

Well, if you are not going to register your other computers for support, why buy the Family Pack in the first place?

Because it buys you 5 licences. I've never registered a copy of OSX. Skipped that stage at installation every time. Registration isn't mandatory, unlike Windows Activation. Bertrand even made a joke about Windows Activation during the keynote. If it's ok by Apple, then it's ok by me.