Show us your desk!

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

I wish I could even FIND a phone that was just a phone.

That's why I hope Apple won't go that road and will make something really different. I would prefer more memory (if it has mp3 player) or larger batteries or lower price or at least less weight. Something actually useful, because those "cameras" they put into phones are just unusable. At all.
  • Reply 62 of 129
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AWAL

ouch.... RAZR pic, but anyway:

-powerbook g4 1.5

-20" Dell Monitor

-iPod HiFi

-Airport Express

- iPod nano 1GB

- iPod 3G 15GB

-Skoal Straight

-easy button

Nice WankSock?
  • Reply 63 of 129
    Well apparently my camera is gone, and my roomates dont have any, so all I had was my phone to take pictures with, and they all turned out so horrible, I'll just show you the basics. It's my new 23" ACD and Mac Pro (with ATI X1900!). It's a college house, I live in the attic. It's like a fucking studio apartment up here, except the plaster walls ha.

• Reply 64 of 129
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

The corner segment of my desk, chair removed:

Good thing you don't live in Earthquake country like I do.

Quote:

Now that is a desk I can respect. So what about the mess! I choose a multi-use desk anyday.
  • Reply 65 of 129
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lundy

I wish I could even FIND a phone that was just a phone.

I got one, partly because:

1-it was cheap

2- if I want to take a picture, I use my camera, if I want to listen to music, I use my iPod

3- Camera phones were verboten at my work when I bought it, I worked at a US Navy nuclear power training school then. Needless to say, they were rather worried about anything that could transfer files or photos, no iPods, no PSPs, USB drives, etc. etc.

IMHO the "Jack of all trades, Master of none" also applies to gadgets anyhow.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    Is that a radio shack soldering iron? I remember those days. Then I got spoiled. I'm about to get more spoiled. I haven't decided yet on the model.
  • Reply 67 of 129
    I have a cheap-ola Radio Shack soldering iron too and am perfectly happy. As long as you keep the tip nice and clean and use new-ish flux, there are no problems and beautiful connections.
  • Reply 68 of 129
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Yes, that's Radio Shack. I like to play with electronic once in a while, but soldering station is too much (or should I say too expensive) for hobby.

Though I wish I could afford some simple oscilloscope.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ebby

I have a cheap-ola Radio Shack soldering iron too and am perfectly happy. As long as you keep the tip nice and clean and use new-ish flux, there are no problems and beautiful connections.

Just for the record, most types of solder I've encountered in the past few years have a rosin core, and don't need flux.
  • Reply 70 of 129
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPoster

I got one, partly because:

1-it was cheap

2- if I want to take a picture, I use my camera, if I want to listen to music, I use my iPod

3- Camera phones were verboten at my work when I bought it, I worked at a US Navy nuclear power training school then. Needless to say, they were rather worried about anything that could transfer files or photos, no iPods, no PSPs, USB drives, etc. etc.

IMHO the "Jack of all trades, Master of none" also applies to gadgets anyhow.

Which phone would you advise, that is just a phone?
  • Reply 71 of 129
    Lers get some more, show off your stuff .
  • Reply 72 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington

Lers get some more, show off your stuff .

I've already shown all my stuff!
  • Reply 73 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

Just for the record, most types of solder I've encountered in the past few years have a rosin core, and don't need flux.

Yea, I get that kind too. But I used paste flux a few years ago soldering copper pipe with a blowtorch and just for the hell of it, I tried a little on smaller components. The difference was night and day for me.
  • Reply 74 of 129
    slugheadslughead Posts: 1,169member
    wow! other people have messy desks too!

we should start a support group

OK this is as clean as my little studio Apt. gets

Mac Pro, 2x20" monitors and a 17" server drawer monitor (not hooked up yet).
  • Reply 75 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73

Our house is two-story and the computer room is a small area upstairs that used to be a nursery. That?s where my desktop computer, a G5 Dual 2.5 lives when its not at the Apple Store for repair where it is now-- four times in the last month, all for the same problem.

Anyway, this is the downstairs computer located in an available space in the family room, a Titanium Powerbook 867 from 2002, with 1GB memory and an 80GB HD. Also included in the picture counterclockwise from the left is a Formac 20? FPD, a Sandisk 1GB thumb drive, a notebook for all the user names and passwords that I can never remember, a 20GB 2-Gen iPod, a Logitech wireless mouse and a LaCie 250GB FW drive that?s normally in the computer room.

http://homepage.mac.com/penningtonj/...arry_mckay.jpg

what kind of monitor is that? i forget...
  • Reply 76 of 129
    This was my desk a few weeks ago. I've made a few modifications since then, mainly got a 3Ghz Mac Pro, a new 30", a new desk, and got rid of a few laptops

• Reply 77 of 129
    [QUOTE=MovieCutter]This was my desk a few weeks ago. I've made a few modifications since then, mainly got a 3Ghz Mac Pro, a new 30", a new desk, and got rid of a few laptops

That's an outrageous setup!.. nice. What kind of films do you work on?
  • Reply 78 of 129
    [QUOTE=SpamSandwich]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MovieCutter

This was my desk a few weeks ago. I've made a few modifications since then, mainly got a 3Ghz Mac Pro, a new 30", a new desk, and got rid of a few laptops

That's an outrageous setup!.. nice. What kind of films do you work on?

Documentary primarily. SHooting a feature this summer.
  • Reply 79 of 129
    i think you need some more laptops

i will post my set up hopefully next week when i get my new Mac pro
  • Reply 80 of 129
    here's pic of my home/office set-up.. in picture:

1. Dell XPS Gen 4 + Dell 20.5" Wide TFT

2. iMac 20" Intel Core Duo 2 2.16GHz / 2GB RAM / 260GB HDD

3. iMac 24" Intel Core Duo 2 2.16Ghz / 2GB RAM / 500GB HDD / TV Tuner

4. MyBook WD 500GB Firewire 800 HDD

5. HP NC4200 work laptop

6. HP officeJet 3310 WiFi Printer/Scan/Copier

Ofcourse everything is Wireless kind of crammed, but hopefully the dell will be gone soon.. I originally bought the 20" iMac day it was launched as I they didn't have any 24" on display.. typicall changed my mind shortly after so today went and bought the 24