simple setup.

no over heating issues?
  • Reply 103 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BMWintoxication

no over heating issues?

what would overheat in that setup?
  • Reply 104 of 129
    The lid of the powerbook/macbook-pro is closed. There are instances in the past where this had yielded ugly results.
  • Reply 105 of 129
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    iBook Desk:

Main desk with one notable thing missing:

• Reply 106 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig

iBook Desk:

Main desk with one notable thing missing:

From your signature I can't figure out if you are saying the mac pro is useless in a home environment or that you like it.
  • Reply 107 of 129
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpennington

From your signature I can't figure out if you are saying the mac pro is useless in a home environment or that you like it.

It could be taken to mean that it's either ugly, overkill or both. I do agree it's overkill for most people but I don't think comparing it to the CXT is fair. Maybe if you were using the Xserve as a home computer. I think it's more accurate to compare Mac Pro to a 250/350/2500/3500/Escalade/Suburban type truck.
  • Reply 108 of 129
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

I'm saying that its overpowered and overpriced for a home computer. It's a professional workstation, not a desktop. That why intel created Conroe and every other computer maker uses by the way.
  • Reply 109 of 129
    Well a lot of people buy the MacPro so there is something to it. Lots of old men buy cars that can go 200 mph too, same thing.
  • Reply 110 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel

The lid of the powerbook/macbook-pro is closed. There are instances in the past where this had yielded ugly results.

It's a PowerBook, and I've never had any issues at all with any kind of heating. I use it all day like this, and then when I travel I just take the PowerBook with me.
  • Reply 111 of 129
    Quote:

Well a lot of people buy the MacPro so there is something to it. Lots of old men buy cars that can go 200 mph too, same thing.

They are called professionals. Look guys, there are a bunch of other threads on this.
  • Reply 112 of 129
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OBJRA10

It's a PowerBook, and I've never had any issues at all with any kind of heating. I use it all day like this, and then when I travel I just take the PowerBook with me.

I wondered about it. How old is it and how long have you been using it like that? Does the thing get very hot on the metal part behind the keyboard, is it nearly too hot to touch?

Some people are saying that the heat would cause the LCD picture quality to fade and such even when the screen is off, though I'm not totally convinced either way. LCDs are damaged with intense heat, but I just don't know if a closed Mac Book (Pro) is intense enough to do this. One example that was brought up was LCD projectors getting noticeably faded after 8000 hours, but LCD projectors focus several hundred watts of light and heat through three panels that are less than an inch square, which is probably 10x or more intense than what you will find in a notebook.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Pretty plain, compared to some of yours.

• Reply 114 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave

Pretty plain, compared to some of yours.

(snip)

I'm loving that keyboard.
  • Reply 115 of 129
    imickimick Posts: 351member
    http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/1343/desklk5.jpg

iMac 20" Core 2 Duo (wireless)

P4 2.0GHz (self-built)

Averatec 4100 13.3" Turion 64 laptop for travel

(laptop to be sold soon to purchase MacBook)

Wired Brother MFC 7820N

(below that) Wirless HP Deskjet 6980

Not shown - 1GB Shuffle, 8GB Nano 2G, new 1GB Shuffle 2G (on order), couple of digital camera

Also up top - autographed Kirby Puckett bat and autographed Beckett Magazine of Robin Yount.
  • Reply 116 of 129

MacBook Pro 15" 2.16Ghz

ViewSonic VX2025wm Monitor

iPods Video and 3rd Gen.

Xbox 360

JBL Creature Speakers

Motorola Razr

(Extreme lower left: 2.8Ghz P4 home-built gaming PC)

Yeah, I know. I'm a spoiled brat 22 year old. lol. No actually I saved for and bought everything in the pics
  • Reply 117 of 129

always a little messy... It's funny to me how so many of us cannot just have 1 mac...
  • Reply 118 of 129
    Quote:

what would overheat in that setup?

the closed lid perhaps? I don't know..
  • Reply 119 of 129

24" iMac (2Gb ram, 500gb hdd, 7600gt)

A4 intuos3 graphics tablet

30gb Video iPod

Xbox 360

Samsung 26" lcd tv

Pioneer surround sound

- not shown - 14" iBook G4, 3rd gen 15Gb iPod, HP colour laserjet printer 2605dn

not bad for a 17 year old
  • Reply 120 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archstudent

that looks like a render

A render? Eh?