Apple rolls out Merom-based iMacs, new 24-inch model

Comments

• Reply 41 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Are Dell Merom systems shipping any sooner than 2 weeks from now? I mean, if Apple releases MBPs shipping immediately in a week, it's just as good as releasing now for shipping in a week.

Sorry, "I'm getting a Dell", isn't necessarily true, rather that I'm getting any C2D notebook this saturday. I'll install OSX on it anyway, and flip the bird to Steve Jobs whilst I do so.

My point wasn't related to other manufacturers' release schedules, rather that Apple are shipping merom computers but have given priority to the iMac. Given the time of year, I find that decision crazy. I'm one of the few who would be prepared to go right to the wire before uni (and have done) to get the right laptop, but almost all my friends are buying theirs or already have by now. Put simply, I believe this will lose Apple more business than if they had released the MBP first.
  • Reply 42 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

I suppose FW800 makes sense in a consumer Mac now that it's both obsolete and irrelevant. I just bought an enclosure that is FW800 compatible but I am almost certain that my next external enclosure will be some form of eSATA.

That may change - MS is moving towards more support for Firewire. And if 1394c shows up, that'll be a lot faster than Ethernet. Don't count Firewire out. Besides, the 24 inch iMac also fills the "low-end Mac Pro" spot if no Conroe system appears.
  • Reply 43 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

It's showtime...

852 x 480

I doubt we're going to see downloadable HD movies...we're talking about dozens of gigs of data here.

If Apple does offer HD movies though, I'm changing my subscription to unlimited upload/download with my cable company.

It lacks detail but here goes...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...home-headlines
  • Reply 44 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n

Sorry, "I'm getting a Dell", isn't necessarily true, rather that I'm getting any C2D notebook this saturday. I'll install OSX on it anyway, and flip the bird to Steve Jobs whilst I do so.

My point wasn't related to other manufacturers' release schedules, rather that Apple are shipping merom computers but have given priority to the iMac. Given the time of year, I find that decision crazy. I'm one of the few who would be prepared to go right to the wire before uni (and have done) to get the right laptop, but almost all my friends are buying theirs or already have by now. Put simply, I believe this will lose Apple more business than if they had released the MBP first.

You do realize that OS X doesn't run very well on PCs, right? You can peruse the OSX86 induced nightmares on osx86project.org.
  • Reply 45 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo

It lacks detail but here goes...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...home-headlines

I'm not refuting that Apple will sell movies. Apple *will* sell movies. But I doubt we'll see 1080P HD movies. We'll probably see standard DVD resolution or 480P HD movies.
  • Reply 46 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

You do realize that OS X doesn't run very well on PCs, right? You can peruse the OSX86 induced nightmares on osx86project.org.

Works like a dream on mine. Let's not discuss this here, though.
  • Reply 47 of 283
    Quote:

Works like a dream on mine.

Uh huh... you're all set then...go for that Dell.
  • Reply 48 of 283
    jms698jms698 Posts: 102member
    Apple is very clever with the cheap $999 iMac. It has a slower processor, less RAM, no bluetooth, no Superdrive, no remote and an Intel GMA graphics card. The next iMac up (for $1199) includes all that. Is anyone actually going to buy the crippled $999 version? It allows them to advertize a cheaper price and cash in.
  • Reply 49 of 283
    Lack of support from Apple, inability to update, and most video cards and sound have issues. Laptops would be harder because of all the custom hardware...
  • Reply 50 of 283
    I wonder why 3GB RAM max. It's two slots so you'd expect 4GB max.

Apple's RAM prices are actually kind of reasonable too. To upgrade from from 2x512MB to 2x1MB it's 120 quid here. Crucial charge £90 per 1GB SODIMM so it's probably cheaper to upgrade with Apple instead of the usual route of buying RAM from Crucial and dumping the unused Apple RAM straight on eBay.

Next months purchase I think if that new contract lands. One 24" 2.33Ghz iMac with 7600GT, 500MB disk and 2GB RAM coming up. About £1600+VAT which I think is about what I paid for my 17" G5 a couple of years back. It'll dwarf the G5 next to it but I'll have to keep that for the Adobe apps.

Weird. There's nothing I don't like on the new Mac. Usually there's something I'd like a bit better.
  • Reply 51 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Lack of support from Apple, inability to update, and most video cards and sound have issues. Laptops would be harder because of all the custom hardware...

You seem to have focussed on the wrong part of my argument, my issue is not with osx86, etc, but with the order in which Apple has decided to release its Merom products. That is the point which is relevant for discussion here.
  • Reply 52 of 283
    I went to the DELL website and configured a Dimension 9200 with a 24-inch monitor. DELL costs $129 more. And, no FW 800, no BlueTooth, only 30-days of phone support.

Dell Dimension 9200 $2218

Processor Intel ® Core?2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066 FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional

Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs

Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache?

CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Monitor 24 inch UltraSharp? 2407FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Video Cards 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache

Sound Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Speakers Dell AS501 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for UltraSharp? Flat Panels

Wireless Networking Solution Dell Wireless; 1450 WLAN (802.11a/b/g) USB 2.0 DT Adapter

Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard

Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse

Optional Ports IEEE 1394 Adapter

Dell Service & Support Plans 1 Year On-site Economy Plan

Phone Support Service Dell On Call 30 Day Getting Started Assistance Unlimited Incidents

Security Software McAfee Security Center w/VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial

Security & Utilities Webroot Spy Sweeper - Now includes 15 month license
  • Reply 53 of 283
    I don't get the 3GB either. I've never heard of 768 MB RAM sticks.

Anyways, b3ns0n - I'm just saying that OSx86 is gonna be tough on a cutting edge laptop. And I think you're gonna regret getting a Dell to save yourself two weeks when you're 2-3 years down the line.
  • Reply 54 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

I wonder why 3GB RAM max. It's two slots so you'd expect 4GB max.

Apple's RAM prices are actually kind of reasonable too. To upgrade from from 2x512MB to 2x1MB it's 120 quid here. Crucial charge £90 per 1GB SODIMM so it's probably cheaper to upgrade with Apple instead of the usual route of buying RAM from Crucial and dumping the unused Apple RAM straight on eBay.

Next months purchase I think if that new contract lands. One 24" 2.33Ghz iMac with 7600GT, 500MB disk and 2GB RAM coming up. About £1600+VAT which I think is about what I paid for my 17" G5 a couple of years back. It'll dwarf the G5 next to it but I'll have to keep that for the Adobe apps.

Weird. There's nothing I don't like on the new Mac. Usually there's something I'd like a bit better.

Agree completely - although my 'bit better' bit would be the 3Gb - by the end of a 24" iMac's lifetime I can see going to at least 4Gb. Oh and WTF is using SODIMMs in a 24" iMac all about - I bet you could get in the back of the case and swing a large cat around; especially compared to the same kit crammed in the 17".

Personally I can't justify getting a new mac until Leopard and iLife 07 are on there though.
  • Reply 55 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jms698

Apple is very clever with the cheap $999 iMac. It has a slower processor, less RAM, no bluetooth, no Superdrive, no remote and an Intel GMA graphics card. The next iMac up (for $1199) includes all that. Is anyone actually going to buy the crippled $999 version? It allows them to advertize a cheaper price and cash in.

It's essentially the Education only iMac announced a month or so back.

At £578+VAT in the UK they're perfect as office Macs too. I've clients using Macs like that for office and warehouse use. Previously they were using eMacs and low end G4 iMacs. The only pain in the arse for them is both MYOB and MS Office isn't Intel native yet.
  • Reply 56 of 283
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

You seem to have focussed on the wrong part of my argument, my issue is not with osx86, etc, but with the order in which Apple has decided to release its Merom products. That is the point which is relevant for discussion here.

Dude it ain't just about you, or your beer guzzling dorm buddies. The iMac and mini were hurtin' for an update. Dont' be surprised if MBPs get updated next week. It's been reported that Apple is awaiting a large shipment of product very soon.
  • Reply 57 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes

I went to the DELL website and configured a Dimension 9200 with a 24-inch monitor. DELL costs $129 more. And, no FW 800, no BlueTooth, only 30-days of phone support.

But bear in mind that the Dell has a higher FSB and you can upgrade the monitor.

I'm not saying that the iMac isn't a great deal (if I didn't already have a Mac Pro coming in 2-3 weeks I'd want one), but that it's not a direct comparison to a Dell.
  • Reply 58 of 283
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes

Dell Dimension 9200 $2218

Processor Intel ® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066 FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional

Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs

Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™

CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Monitor 24 inch UltraSharp™ 2407FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Video Cards 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache

Sound Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Speakers Dell AS501 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for UltraSharp™ Flat Panels

Wireless Networking Solution Dell Wireless; 1450 WLAN (802.11a/b/g) USB 2.0 DT Adapter

Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard

Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse

Optional Ports IEEE 1394 Adapter

Dell Service & Support Plans 1 Year On-site Economy Plan

Phone Support Service Dell On Call 30 Day Getting Started Assistance Unlimited Incidents

Security Software McAfee Security Center w/VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial

Security & Utilities Webroot Spy Sweeper - Now includes 15 month license

I configured a dell desktop xps 410 with a 2.4 ghz conroe with similar specs to 20" iMac for $1500. Apple is very close on price now with Dell.
  • Reply 59 of 283
    Pretty sweet... but I was hopeing for a new form factor.. chinless anyone?
  • Reply 60 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign

It's essentially the Education only iMac announced a month or so back.

At £578+VAT in the UK they're perfect as office Macs too. I've clients using Macs like that for office and warehouse use. Previously they were using eMacs and low end G4 iMacs. The only pain in the arse for them is both MYOB and MS Office isn't Intel native yet.

In my experience, the hold-up with Mac Office isn't gonna be the Rosetta speed, it's gonna be the lack of MS Access. That's a show stopper for a fair few places with custom databases. Until OpenOffice Base stops sucking or someone comes up with Access -> MySQL translator (or Access to Base for that matter), that's the hang-up.