Apple rolls out Merom-based iMacs, new 24-inch model

Comments

• Reply 121 of 283
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I said in a different thread weeks ago that the 17" iMac would likely become the $999 computer. People complained that they would never buy a $999 machine with integrated graphics. So here it is and it will sell like crazy.

Quote:

Can I hook up my Xbox 360 to the 24"?

There are no inputs on the iMac (any size/model) display, so no.

You can with the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid.
  • Reply 122 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n

To be entirely honest, I'll probably buy a Yonah MBP, send it back after 13 days (gotta love the UK distance selling regulations) and get a Merom one in its place. I don't care if I screw Apple about like that.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they release the merom boxes before yours even ships.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef

Why would anybody think it's a Conroe in the first place? Doesn't make any sense...

Because intel is selling conroe and merom with the same product name! The average person has no idea what the specs are, it makes perfect sense to wonder what chip it is since it doesn't say on the apple site.
  • Reply 123 of 283
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell

You can with the Elgato EyeTV Hybrid.

Only if the OP is willing to forego the HD output capability of the Xbox 360...
  • Reply 124 of 283
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    A quick not of minor if any importance is that the bundled software with the new Macs no longer lists Quicken 2006.
  • Reply 125 of 283
    Äsh.. the 17 incher still has the antique monitor from the G4 era, with 140° horizontal x 120° vertical viewing angle. The 20" has 170° horizontal x 170° vertical, and the new 24" has 178° horizontal x 178° vertical. I wanna spend the big buck on the external monitor, not on the built in one.. so that's why I'm interested in a 17" imac. But still I think it's the viewing angle isn't good enough for its price on the 17" model. That's the one I'm interested in... 20" is too big. Either a 17" or an mac mini with a graphics card... Äsh.. life is bad. So what's up next? A MacBook Pro with core 2?
  • Reply 126 of 283
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    One of you dorks could have called me and told me the great news! I go all day thinking, dang, I have to wait until the 12th to order a new iMac. It is 1:39 pm eastern time and I just freekn found out. Once I find my wallet, hello 24" max'd to the hilton!
  • Reply 127 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus

Yes it is.

Regarding the new iPod offer...it's *not* there. I got on chat just before I completed my order. I "spoke" with an online rep and he said that the iPod offer is not valid with the new iMac. I ordered anyway because I don't really need an iPod (already have one). I will call Apple to see.

EDIT:

I just got off the phone with Apple. All the new iMacs have been taken off the eligibility list for getting a "free" iPod. The new iMacs are not part of the Get A Mac/Get an iPod promotion.

...and in other news...my new maxed out 24" iMac will ship on 9/15!!! Woo hooooo!!!

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 128 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redison

Is it me, or do you find it surprising that Apple just announced these "out of the blue" and not at some media event? Sure there were rumors about new iMacs, there always are, but sheesh ..... maybe I'm getting old ...

It could be taken to mean that next Tuesday's announcements are going to be pretty big and Apple doesn't want to take up valuable time announcing the new iMacs.

Just my take on the matter.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 129 of 283
    Quote:

Apple wishes they had the market penetration that HP and Dell have enjoyed in prior years. I like Apple, but sometimes their paranoia and disjointed decisions irritate me.

Perhaps Apple does no wish that. Comparatively Apple enjoys healthier profits than Dell or HP without the bulk and waste of being a huge company.
  • Reply 130 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes

I went to the DELL website and configured a Dimension 9200 with a 24-inch monitor. DELL costs $129 more. And, no FW 800, no BlueTooth, only 30-days of phone support.

Dell Dimension 9200 $2218

Processor Intel ® Core?2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066 FSB)

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Professional

Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs

Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache?

CD or DVD Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Monitor 24 inch UltraSharp? 2407FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Video Cards 256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache

Sound Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Speakers Dell AS501 10W Flat Panel Attached Spkrs for UltraSharp? Flat Panels

Wireless Networking Solution Dell Wireless; 1450 WLAN (802.11a/b/g) USB 2.0 DT Adapter

Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard

Mouse Dell® 2-button USB mouse

Optional Ports IEEE 1394 Adapter

Dell Service & Support Plans 1 Year On-site Economy Plan

Phone Support Service Dell On Call 30 Day Getting Started Assistance Unlimited Incidents

Security Software McAfee Security Center w/VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial

Security & Utilities Webroot Spy Sweeper - Now includes 15 month license

I get a $1800 for this system, with Windows XP Home (instead of Pro) and without the flat panel speakers which I could not find. That should not have added $418.

That 30 days of support is for software (any software). I didn't think Apple provided any free software support except for OS X and bundled apps. The Dell does include 1 year of hardware support.

Steve
  • Reply 131 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

That may change - MS is moving towards more support for Firewire. And if 1394c shows up, that'll be a lot faster than Ethernet. Don't count Firewire out. Besides, the 24 inch iMac also fills the "low-end Mac Pro" spot if no Conroe system appears.

Doesn't Firewire support depend more on the system, motherboard and peripheral manufacturers than Microsoft?

Steve
  • Reply 132 of 283
    By announcing these now, it will build up even furthur anticipation by everyone what they'll be announcing on tuesday.
  • Reply 133 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef

HUH?? The Eye TV Hybrid, which I ordered for $150 does 720p or 1080i on digital or analog inputs. It has coaxial-in, and a component-to-coax converter cable (which also does S-video to coax). What's the hang-up?
  • Reply 134 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO

It could be taken to mean that next Tuesday's announcements are going to be pretty big and Apple doesn't want to take up valuable time announcing the new iMacs.

Just my take on the matter.

--DotComCTO

That's a very good point. By all manners, Apple could be getting the "minor" stuff out of the way. Although, I would have lumped a Merom MBP in there with the new iMacs and said "look whats coming next week." I guess I'll never run Apple!
  • Reply 135 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by demenas

Doesn't Firewire support depend more on the system, motherboard and peripheral manufacturers than Microsoft?

Steve

Yes - but if Microsoft favors one thing over another, it's a heck of an advantage. Nobody's moving to EFI until MS makes an EFI version of Vista.
  • Reply 136 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG

A quick not of minor if any importance is that the bundled software with the new Macs no longer lists Quicken 2006.

Yah, but it's got Quickbooks doesn't it? That's what came on my MBP. I don't like it though cause it's only good for businesses.
  • Reply 137 of 283
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

HUH?? The Eye TV Hybrid, which I ordered for $150 does 720p or 1080i on digital or analog inputs. It has coaxial-in, and a component-to-coax converter cable (which also does S-video to coax). What's the hang-up?

I am pretty sure you are mistaken. I doubt it does analog HD input, the only jack is a coax, which means digital over the air tuning at best. I think you are also confusing composite to coax as component to coax.
  • Reply 138 of 283
    Quote:

That depends on if the XBox 360 can only output HD through HDMI and not through coaxial.
  • Reply 139 of 283
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeaPeaJay

Yah, but it's got Quickbooks doesn't it? That's what came on my MBP. I don't like it though cause it's only good for businesses.

I didn't see either listed in the software package:

Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger

Tiger offers the amazing Spotlight search technology, handy Dashboard widgets and hundreds more features. Tiger also includes the following system applications:

? Safari 2

? Mail 2

? Address Book 4

? iChat AV 3

? iCal 2

? Font Book 2

? DVD Player 4.5

? Preview 3

? Xcode 2

Included software

iMac comes with an incredible bundle of Universal applications that run on both Intel- and PowerPC-based Macs:

? iLife '06

? iWork '06 30-day trial

? Front Row

? Photo Booth

? Big Bang Board Games

? Comic Life

? OmniOutliner

More applications

iMac also includes:

? Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive
  • Reply 140 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JCG

As a recent Windows switcher, I am very disappointed in the Mac version of Quicken. The new Quicken 2007, released about a month ago, is not even a Universal binary. And it can not import Quicken for Windows data files. (There is no migration path!)

Steve