Apple rolls out Merom-based iMacs, new 24-inch model

Comments

• Reply 101 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

my understanding is that the 7300GT isn't that much better - it's the base Mac Pro card, and was criticized on release.

The 7300 is worse than the X1600 in the last revision, although it'll be fine for most people.
  • Reply 102 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

"I've never seen a company buck business norms the way Apple does..."

The only sensible thing you said.

And what did I say that was nonsensible? The rest was my opinion. Besides, I edited my post to backdown on my "absurd" comment.

Quote:

So let's see:

IBM drops pc's

Dell lossing ground

Intel laying off

HP in trouble

GM on verge of bankruptcy

Ford joining the discontent

But Apple just keeps a growing in innovations, products, sales, service, support, stature…

Thank heavens, that Apple is above the norm.

And those companies are all industry leaders. When you're at the top, there's nowhere else to go but down. Besides, those are recessional market-dependant fluctuations. Apple wishes they had the market penetration that HP and Dell have enjoyed in prior years. I like Apple, but sometimes their paranoia and disjointed decisions irritate me.

Also, thank you JeffDM and minderbender for a well-written response. I see your point. I had forgotten that noone is shipping Merom lappies yet.
  • Reply 103 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by redison

Is it me, or do you find it surprising that Apple just announced these "out of the blue" and not at some media event? Sure there were rumors about new iMacs, there always are, but sheesh ..... maybe I'm getting old ...

It's surprising, but it's only to support their new movie download service, and whatever else Steve has in store for us next week. I think it's outstanding. Ordering the 24" iMac...
  • Reply 104 of 283
    Guys, it's a Merom. L2 Cache, speeds, and FSB all match.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhetWurm

There is no reason why they couldn't put the Meroms in the MBP's and stick Conroes in the iMacs.

Sure there is - it's darn quiet. The x1600s in the old iMacs were quiet, and the 7300GT is fanless. Less cooling makes for a near silent home computer. If Apple releases something like an EyeTV Hybrid for Firewire 400, or a Movie Store, they'd clean up. Your living room could be like my apartment - the work computer doubles as a TV/PVR/DVDplayer.
  • Reply 105 of 283
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco

Can I hook up my Xbox 360 to the 24"?

There are no inputs on the iMac (any size/model) display, so no.
  • Reply 106 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

Guys, it's a Merom. L2 Cache, speeds, and FSB all match.

Why is anybody still arguing this point when it's on the spec speets?
  • Reply 107 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core

"I've never seen a company buck business norms the way Apple does..."

The only sensible thing you said.

So let's see:

IBM drops pc's

Dell lossing ground

Intel laying off

HP in trouble

GM on verge of bankruptcy

Ford joining the discontent

But Apple just keeps a growing in innovations, products, sales, service, support, stature?

Thank heavens, that Apple is above the norm.

Good first post, Abster.
  • Reply 108 of 283
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef

Why is anybody still arguing this point when it's on the spec speets?

Which spec sheet would that be?

It's not explicitly stated here:

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html
  • Reply 109 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Dude it ain't just about you, or your beer guzzling dorm buddies. The iMac and mini were hurtin' for an update. Dont' be surprised if MBPs get updated next week. It's been reported that Apple is awaiting a large shipment of product very soon.

I'm not sure that we have "beer guzzling dorm buddies" in England.

Anyway, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the MBP was to be updated next week. I just find it infuriating that, even if that is the case, they did it this way around. I can't think of a reason why someone wanting an iMac update couldn't wait a week, unless they were in a similar position to myself, but many more students by laptops. I need to have a laptop ordered by the weekend and in-hand by a week friday.

I'm not knocking Apple for it if they've done it for business reasons - if the MBPs are selling just fine without any updates in the college season, and the iMacs needed a kick-start, great. It just sucks for a generally tech-savvy prosumer/student who simply will not buy a notebook only to see it superseded a couple of weeks later.

To be entirely honest, I'll probably buy a Yonah MBP, send it back after 13 days (gotta love the UK distance selling regulations) and get a Merom one in its place. I don't care if I screw Apple about like that.
  • Reply 110 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs

Ordered, 20-inch iMac, 2.33 Core 2 Duo, 2 GB of RAM, 256MB gfx

I got the same, but with the standard RAM
  • Reply 111 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Which spec sheet would that be?

It's not explicitly stated here:

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

But the specs on that sheet don't match up with anything on the Intel Core 2 Duo Desktop processor list here.

The spec sheet mentions 667 MHz bus in the iMac w/Core 2 Duo, and the desktop CPUs (previously known as Conroe) are 800MHz FSB and up. The clock speeds also do not match.

Sorry if it's not explicitly stated, but easily deduced by comparing processor specs with what's in the iMac spec sheet.
  • Reply 112 of 283
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikef

Sorry if it's not explicitly stated, but easily deduced by comparing processor specs with what's in the iMac spec sheet.

That's the thing, several of us already made that deduction before you made your reply. As such, I thought your post meant that the spec sheet outright said Merom.
  • Reply 113 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

That's the thing, we already did before you made your reply. I thought your post meant that the spec sheet outright said Merom.

Why would anybody think it's a Conroe in the first place? Doesn't make any sense...
  • Reply 114 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich

Good first post, Abster.

Thank you. I, probably like you await most anxiously for Tuesday. Realizing that whatever is presented, Apple will continue, thank goodness, to deviate from the norm.
  • Reply 115 of 283
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I predicted this model bacck in january so once again I'm gonna pat my myself on the back.

A couple days ago I suspected the release of the edu imac on the public so here comes a second pat.

I'm really liking the imac's evolution. I probably don't need a mac pro anymore, I'm gonna get an upgraded macbook pro and in the summer pick up a 24" imac and BOOM I'm good to go.

It is a nice fucking time to me an apple user.

And this means one thing: UPGRADED MACBOOK PROS ON THE 12TH!
  • Reply 116 of 283
    It would make sense for the MacBook Pro to be announced on the 12th with Merom and a Redesigned enclosure. That's a more event worthy product than the iMac and Mini.
  • Reply 117 of 283
    You know, having the 24 inch Vesa mounted on your living room wall would be a superb setup for some people. You could use it like Web TV. Do all your internet/emailing from the couch (maybe have to lower the resolution a bit for that) using the bluetooth keyboard and mouse. But for a majority of people out there who don't need to do a lot of detailed work, it might just be a good solution for them. And then they can activate Front Row to do all their music and movies.
  • Reply 118 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n

I'm not sure that we have "beer guzzling dorm buddies" in England.

Anyway, yes, I wouldn't be surprised if the MBP was to be updated next week. I just find it infuriating that, even if that is the case, they did it this way around. I can't think of a reason why someone wanting an iMac update couldn't wait a week, unless they were in a similar position to myself, but many more students by laptops. I need to have a laptop ordered by the weekend and in-hand by a week friday.

I'm not knocking Apple for it if they've done it for business reasons - if the MBPs are selling just fine without any updates in the college season, and the iMacs needed a kick-start, great. It just sucks for a generally tech-savvy prosumer/student who simply will not buy a notebook only to see it superseded a couple of weeks later.

To be entirely honest, I'll probably buy a Yonah MBP, send it back after 13 days (gotta love the UK distance selling regulations) and get a Merom one in its place. I don't care if I screw Apple about like that.

Sorry my response was a bit harsh. However it is obvious to many who follow the forums here that an iMac and mini update was desperately needed. Looking at the recent future forum threads bear this out. As for the MBPs, I'm sort of in the same boat as you in that I've waited a while to purchase and am anxious to get one. I will be patient because I would not only like the additional performance of merom (truth be told, it's a little disappointing when compared to yonah) but also hope that Apple fix some niggling issues that have been well documented. A little patience will actually go a long way here IMO.
  • Reply 119 of 283
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Mutherf*ck!r.

I've always said that a 23" iMac would be ideal as a graphic design workstation - I've been saying it for years and Apple decides to release one a fortnight after I purchase a Mac Pro!

I wonder if my Apple dealer will take back my Mac Pro and give me a 24" iMac?
  • Reply 120 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah

Mutherf*ck!r.

I've always said that a 23" iMac would be ideal as a graphic design workstation - I've been saying it for years and Apple decides to release one a fortnight after I purchase a Mac Pro!

I wonder if my Apple dealer will take back my Mac Pro and give me a 24" iMac?

Why not buy both?