Apple rolls out Merom-based iMacs, new 24-inch model

Comments

• Reply 61 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac

Dude it ain't just about you, or your beer guzzling dorm buddies. The iMac and mini were hurtin' for an update. Dont' be surprised if MBPs get updated next week. It's been reported that Apple is awaiting a large shipment of product very soon.

I agree no one expected any new products today and if you look at what Apple did they upgraded/bumped up there desktop line... so who knows, tomorrow Apple could possibly update there notebook line...

And on Friday people will get the headless Mac they've always wanted.... nah that would be to extreme for Apple
  • Reply 62 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

If so...I hope they don't have the same banding problems that are present on the 2407.

Either way...the 24" iMac is a sweet deal.

Maybe this helps:

I had banding problems on my 20" Cinema Display when I got it and it left photos looking horrible. So I got a screen calibrator and those problems are gone. I work with colour and have had no issues with it.
  • Reply 63 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by b3ns0n

You seem to have focussed on the wrong part of my argument, my issue is not with osx86, etc, but with the order in which Apple has decided to release its Merom products. That is the point which is relevant for discussion here.

Makes perfect sense to me. You can buy Core 2 Duo desktops based on Conroe now but finding a shipping Core 2 Duo laptop is next to impossible. Obviously Apple needs to compete on the desktop now.

I'd suspect it's only a matter of weeks before a MacBook Pro Merom update.

You'd be nucking futs to buy a Dell laptop to run OSX as you've no idea it'll continue to run OSX in the future.

Since you've already got a computer, why the whining?
  • Reply 64 of 283
    Quote:

You seem to have focussed on the wrong part of my argument, my issue is not with osx86, etc, but with the order in which Apple has decided to release its Merom products. That is the point which is relevant for discussion here.

I doubt if Apple is holding back on the MBP upgrade. It'll be announced as soon as they can deliver. It might well be a situation where Apple says "available today" when they announce it, which might actually leave you in a position to get one before Dell would get one to you - especially if they announce it on the 12th.

In terms of the iMac upgrade, I believe that got it to the market before the MBP simply because it was ready to ship before the MBP.
  • Reply 65 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

In my experience, the hold-up with Mac Office isn't gonna be the Rosetta speed, it's gonna be the lack of MS Access. That's a show stopper for a fair few places with custom databases. Until OpenOffice Base stops sucking or someone comes up with Access -> MySQL translator (or Access to Base for that matter), that's the hang-up.

For some yes. But not my clients. They use MYOB, MS Office and a custom MySQL web based application I wrote.

I'm weening them gradually off MYOB and Office. Everything's going web based. It doesn't actually matter if it's Mac, windows or Linux. They just pick whatever they want.
  • Reply 66 of 283
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Huge disappointment. VESA mount on the 24" only. No external DVI/HDMI video input greatly reduces the value of getting the 24" iMac.

Just a minimal speed bump on the mini. I was planning to get a new mini, but just don't see the point with these poor choices. Apple could've done far better with little effort or cost.

Hope they have far, far better things hardware-wise to announce next week.
  • Reply 67 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv

Maybe this helps:

I had banding problems on my 20" Cinema Display when I got it and it left photos looking horrible. So I got a screen calibrator and those problems are gone. I work with colour and have had no issues with it.

the main problem with the 24" panel is it is too bright and cannot be dimmed sufficently for photo work. I think the banding issue in the 2407 was addressed with a driver update.
  • Reply 68 of 283
    Quote:

In my experience, the hold-up with Mac Office isn't gonna be the Rosetta speed, it's gonna be the lack of MS Access. That's a show stopper for a fair few places with custom databases. Until OpenOffice Base stops sucking or someone comes up with Access -> MySQL translator (or Access to Base for that matter), that's the hang-up.

Or you could you ask the Mac BU to please make access for Mac http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archiv...01/735586.aspx

There asking for feedback on what Microsoft software you would like to see available on Mac and I'm sure a ton of people have asked for access

btw heres the front page for anyone curious http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/default.aspx
  • Reply 69 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol

If so...I hope they don't have the same banding problems that are present on the 2407.

Either way...the 24" iMac is a sweet deal.

Sitting here with the newest revision 2407 right in front of me and I have no complaints. The banding seems to have been taken care of in the latest hardware revision and the brightness... well, it is a little bright but not overly so.
  • Reply 70 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blascock

Pretty sweet... but I was hopeing for a new form factor.. chinless anyone?

Now that's good
  • Reply 71 of 283
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Sorry, "I'm getting a Dell", isn't necessarily true, rather that I'm getting any C2D notebook this saturday. I'll install OSX on it anyway, and flip the bird to Steve Jobs whilst I do so.

My point wasn't related to other manufacturers' release schedules, rather that Apple are shipping merom computers but have given priority to the iMac. Given the time of year, I find that decision crazy. I'm one of the few who would be prepared to go right to the wire before uni (and have done) to get the right laptop, but almost all my friends are buying theirs or already have by now. Put simply, I believe this will lose Apple more business than if they had released the MBP first.

I suspect Apple know better than you which model of computer they need to update right now.

Maybe the Laptops are selling just great without the need for an update.

If you want a Dell buy a Dell, if you want a MBP wait a while and buy a MBP.

Ian
  • Reply 72 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe

Huge disappointment. VESA mount on the 24" only. No external DVI/HDMI video input greatly reduces the value of getting the 24" iMac.

Just a minimal speed bump on the mini. I was planning to get a new mini, but just don't see the point with these poor choices. Apple could've done far better with little effort or cost.

Hope they have far, far better things hardware-wise to announce next week.

You were planning to get the mac mini but are bitching the iMac doesn't include DVI/HDMI video input?
  • Reply 73 of 283
    Gnnnn.... *checks how much 20" iMac G5s go for on eBay...*
  • Reply 74 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by othello

odd not to have a remote included on the 17"

Only on the cheaper of the two 17s. It's a stripped down model.

Quote:

Are Dell Merom systems shipping any sooner than 2 weeks from now? I mean, if Apple releases MBPs shipping immediately in a week, it's just as good as releasing now for shipping in a week.

Exactly. It's stupid to whine about the MPB's when it's obvious they will be updated any day now, and dell meroms aren't even shipping yet! With the imac release, apple beat most of the PC makers to a merom release.

Quote:

Sorry, "I'm getting a Dell", isn't necessarily true, rather that I'm getting any C2D notebook this saturday. I'll install OSX on it anyway, and flip the bird to Steve Jobs whilst I do so.

So specificially what model of C2D laptop do you think you'll be able to get your hands on by saturday? And seriously, you can't wait like a week (if that) for the apple release? Could be tomorrow. Could be friday or monday. Or wednesday.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe

Minimal on the $799, but more than double the speed on the $599. I wouldn't call that minimal.
  • Reply 75 of 283
    Well - this is pretty much the machine I've been waiting for so I've already placed my order. I've pretty much maxed out the system (24" 2.33GHz, 2GB RAM, NVidia 7600GT, 500GB HD). This is going to be a beast of a machine. Thank goodness I'm back in college for a fun night class so I can get the Edu pricing! Came out to a little over $2900 with AppleCare & tax. Well worth it for the whole package (at least it is to me).

Looks like it will ship in 5-7 business days. I can't wait!!

FYI - the iPod offer isn't available for the new iMacs.

DotComCTO
  • Reply 76 of 283
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darth_Apple

Or you could you ask the Mac BU to please make access for Mac http://blogs.msdn.com/macmojo/archiv...01/735586.aspx

There asking for feedback on what Microsoft software you would like to see available on Mac and I'm sure a ton of people have asked for access

Seems pretty unlikely though bearing in mind they're killing off VBA.
  • Reply 77 of 283
    Quote:

Lack of support from Apple, inability to update, and most video cards and sound have issues. Laptops would be harder because of all the custom hardware...

Hehe, dunno where u was last 25 years, but Apple is on top of all Personal Computer makers, with a huge advantage regarding quality and customer satisfaction. Just dig a bit google.

Also shows that you never had a Mac and have no clue how good its the support even from the retailers anywhere in the world.

Even my daugther's educational eMac with 1 gb ram its able to provide a very good performance on almost any software from Apple but Motion, and did very well on Call of Duty. And it only have 64 mb video card, never had/have a problem.

My ultra old powerbook G4 500 mhz does nice as light server with 8 mb video and 1 gb ram.

I'm not mentioning my new hardware cause simply outperform any Mac I had, love core duo, love to kill pc noobs on battlefield2 or Ghost Recon Advance Warfigther using either Boot Camp or Parallels, kick ass rendering DV 30i or HD at 720p video and Motion perfoms like I have a dual G5 with lots of ram.

Macs are so good that i have customers that come to the the workshop with dead hard drives in their iMacs after 5-7 years of abuse.

Macs are so good as Mac user say, those are the only ones with criteria to critize an Apple product.

cya
  • Reply 78 of 283
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I never really expected announcements today, although these updates were expected any day now.

That said, these new updates and price drops certainly make the iMacs a more competitive and compelling product. I'll still wait for my Mac Pro though.
  • Reply 79 of 283
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Quote:

I don't get the 3GB either. I've never heard of 768 MB RAM sticks.

I could be wrong, but it seems to me that they put two soldered 512MB sticks in the enclosure.

As for the 24" display brightness, maybe you could stick an anti-glare screen in front of it?
  • Reply 80 of 283
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thedonga

the main problem with the 24" panel is it is too bright and cannot be dimmed sufficently for photo work. I think the banding issue in the 2407 was addressed with a driver update.

Can't you wait to actually see the thing before you start whining? Even if they are the same panel Apple always tweaks the specs to their own requirements.