Apple ditches 'Mac Guy' in new ads

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer is preparing to film a series of new spots for its extremely successful "Get a Mac" national television campaign, but will do so without the help of 'Mac guy' Justin Long.

According to a report on RadarOnline, a representative for Long confirmed that the actor's days as an Apple pitchman are over.

"Every ad you see Justin in is for that previous time period only. There's no long-term deal with him," the rep said. "Justin's a movie star, not a commercial guy."

Over the years, Long has played roles in flicks such as "Dodgeball" and "Waiting..." He's currently filming "Live Free or Die Hard," where he trades in his squeaky-clean image in starring alongside Bruce Willis as a computer hacker trying to save the world from Internet-based terrorist.

Meanwhile, Radar reports that Apple's "Get a Mac" television campaign with push forth with other principals, director Phil Morrison and journo-humorist John Hodgman, both returning for another round of spots.

As for the reasons behind Long's dismissal, it's not exactly clear. But as the report points out, most people who've watched the "Get a Mac" ads come away "liking the 'PC guy' while wanting to push the 'Mac guy' under a bus."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    i must agree..

mr. mac is quite annoying and mr. pc is friendly and happy.

maybe they'll switch mr. pc into mr. mac because he switched to mac??

i don't know but it kind of makes sense....
  • Reply 2 of 84
    ...everyone who's watched the "Get a Mac" ads "comes away liking the 'PC guy' while wanting to push the 'Mac guy' under a bus."

Not me...and thus the theorem is proved false.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92

i must agree..

mr. mac is quite annoying and mr. pc is friendly and happy.

maybe they'll switch mr. pc into mr. mac because he switched to mac??

i don't know but it kind of makes sense....

Wow that would be a great twist i love it lol
  • Reply 4 of 84
    Everyone whos seen these commercials wants to squish the Mac guy under a bus? Says who? Who is being brave enough to speak for the whole world? I'll tell ya what, Ill speak for me, mmmkay? I loved the Mac guy. I think if you think hes annoying, youre one of two things; 1.) a PC user, who hates Macs, or 2.) Just not bright enough to get the commercials message.

I say bring the Mac guy back, hes awesome in those commericals.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    The PC guy is really nice. It's like you wanna help him, and take care of him. He's cute. In my part of the world that kind of a guy that the Mac guy is, is pretty lame and doesn't work. Maybe it works in the states... I dunno. I never liked the idea behind the whole campaign, but I liked the PC guy

I hope they come up with something better next time, and not like a super proud, stylized movie star model trying to act humble but really isn't. Instead they would be cooler off with something more down to earth, and not try to look so upper class all the time.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    They should replace Justin Long with Dennis Haysbert:

PC: I'm a PC.

DH: And I'm a Mac.

~look of shock from PC for why the Mac has changed~

DH: Ya, we come in black now.

Probably not p.c. enough for the US audience. Oh, well.
  • Reply 7 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton

That's the best idea ever.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    both are true, i like the PC guy, hes comic relief that you just cant hate, and i like the Mac guy because i know he stands for a good product...

i thought they worked decently together... i guess i can see how some people who dislike mac might dislike mac guy-- but as a guy who uses and generally likes both PC's and Macs (they both have advantages) i like both.
  • Reply 9 of 84
    the mac guy should actually be a mac _girl_
  • Reply 10 of 84
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    Yeah the Mac guy is a lazy arrogant guy while the PC guy looks like the cute small brother of Mr.Gates.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    -cj--cj- Posts: 58member
    i thought the Mac Guy was likeable. but introducing a Mac Girl seems like a plausible next step. but, have they even confirmed they PC Guy/Mac Guy campaign will continue? i'd more likely expect Apple to move to a new idea all together.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    yes - I guarantee that the old PC is now a mac...guaranteed...
  • Reply 13 of 84
    Quote:

you might like this then:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oc4oP_ITqMc
  • Reply 14 of 84
    What they should do is have Colbert as the PC guy and have Stewart as the Mac guy. At least for one tv spot.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    What's odd is, nearly everyone I know sees the ad and wants to push the Mac guy under a bus... and then get a Mac.

Go figure.
  • Reply 16 of 84
    Quote:

That is the coolest idea I've ever heard!! Dennis Haysbert is the bomb, and that is All-State, STAN. Who the f--- is Stan??? Huh huh ... watch those commercials with your eyes closed and it sounds like God speaking. One thing's for sure, they shouldn't have shot him in 24. He was a good prez. Once whitey took over all hell broke loose.
  • Reply 17 of 84
    I think Hodgman will play both characters now. That would have real impact.
  • Reply 18 of 84
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    This is an easy one: Leopard comes out. New commercial.

PC: "Um. Excuse me? Have you seen my friend, Mac?"

Leopard: "Oh, hey PC. It's me. I got an upgrade."

*cue Vista joke*
  • Reply 19 of 84
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    i like the idea where:

The black guy walks in the room and...

the white mac says "who are you"

black mac "oh im a mac"

wm "but your...i mean ive never seen a..."

bm "Oh, i know, its just a skin, but im just like you"

where the commercial continues to talk about how the black macbook is better

while this is a clever commercial, it also secretly and positively addresses the topic of racism which i got a kick out of lol

heres the link

http://youtube.com/watch?v=oc4oP_ITqMc

P.S. The joke at the end about the new blackbooks MAKES THIS WORTH WATCHING... it was hilarious
  • Reply 20 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kesh

This is an easy one: Leopard comes out. New commercial.

PC: "Um. Excuse me? Have you seen my friend, Mac?"

Leopard: "Oh, hey PC. It's me. I got an upgrade."

*cue Vista joke*

Very excellent idea.

I do like the John Steward Colbert idea as well. Like the Will Farrel comercials.