Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2101 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Blockbuster online still rents HD DVD movies. I think the concept of using online rental in conjunction with driving to the store to be dubious. I use netflix because I DON'T want to drive to the local rental place.

Well, I guess you're in the minority, much like the HD DVD crowd. See the marketshare of Blockbuster as compared to Netflix and get back with us on if it really matters if you yourself goes to netflix--it still does nothing to lessen the fact that Blockbuster is the majority rental distributor and they have sided with Blu-ray...why?...because it is beating the pants off of HD DVD...quite simple really.
  • Reply 2102 of 4650
    Is Universal flooding the market with subpar titles...?

Presented in 1080p using the VC-1 codec, this is unfortunately another in a series of sub-par transfers from Universal. As I speculated in my recent review of 'Liar Liar,' it would seem that the studio has rushed some of its more recent HD DVD catalog titles to market, without giving each individual transfer the time and effort needed to ensure superior picture quality.

I just find it interesting what a difference a year makes...

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=10021

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

Wow what a difference a year makes!

HD DVD came out of the bat last year delivering lots of top notch encodes and Blu-ray came out with a faulty player and several poor transfers.

Now both formats have their game under control, or do they?

Here's a look at the first 20 reviews for HD DVD and Blu-ray up against the last 20 reviews.

For this I have used High Def Digest, Home Theater Spot, Home Theater Forum and DVD Talk.

I have not included Upcoming Discs as I was not able to add their reviews chronologically when I first added them to the spreadsheet.

The First 20 reviews!

Code:

HD DVD PQ SQ TOTAL

TOTALS 4.03 3.73 3.88

Blu-ray PQ SQ TOTAL

TOTALS 3.51 3.71 3.61

The most recent 20 reviews!

Code:

HD DVD PQ SQ TOTAL

TOTALS 3.66 3.54 3.60

Blu-ray PQ SQ TOTAL

TOTALS 4.09 3.94 4.01

Now that Blu-ray has the players on the market and all the right tools in place to do its thing, the consistency level appears to be what many of us were expecting last June and were sadly disappointed.

Why would anyone want anything less that an average 4 star rating?

Its almost as if Universal is working in reverse! Just FYI, on average, Blu-ray outscores HD DVD both in PQ and AQ. Looks like Blu-ray has indeed been working hard.
  • Reply 2103 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Well, I guess you're in the minority, much like the HD DVD crowd. See the marketshare of Blockbuster as compared to Netflix and get back with us on if it really matters if you yourself goes to netflix--it still does nothing to lessen the fact that Blockbuster is the majority rental distributor and they have sided with Blu-ray...why?...because it is beating the pants off of HD DVD...quite simple really.

Marz, when you use terms like "beating the pants off of HD-DVD" are you serious or just using hyperbole?

Most consumers don't have a horse in this so-called race yet. Even the so-called race is stupid because for movie rental distribution boxes like Apple TV are the future.

What Blockbuster does is irrelevant, because renters are about to desert the disc market in droves.

The fight between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is about the disc sales market, not the rental one.
  • Reply 2104 of 4650
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

There are three features lacking from Blu-Ray players currently available or new models to come to the market:

1) internet connectivity

2) BD-J (1.1/2.0)

3) HiDef Audio Decoding

Even the newest Blu-Ray players are not equipped with all of these features. However, #3 can be fixed when you buy a new AVR with TrueHD or DTSHD decoding capability via HDMI 1.3.

What exactly is BD-J? Is this what will enable the more robust features of Blu Ray? If so, why isn't it working now? What's the hold up? Why isn't anyone else complaining about a half-broken format?
  • Reply 2105 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,431member
    Quote:

You're right...exclusive content or rather the lack thereof is helping keep HD DVD behind.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Marz, when you use terms like "beating the pants off of HD-DVD" are you serious or just using hyperbole?

Most consumers don't have a horse in this so-called race yet. Even the so-called race is stupid because for movie rental distribution boxes like Apple TV are the future.

What Blockbuster does is irrelevant, because renters are about to desert the disc market in droves.

The fight between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is about the disc sales market, not the rental one.

The mere fact that he has to post so "Blu-ray Blu-ray Blu-ray ...look it's winning!" threads should tip most people off that something is off. Should these type of posts be coming from someone who has no vested interest as of yet in Blu-ray? I had 18 HD DVD discs in Feb 07...certainly that's putting the cart before the horse but man am I enjoying those discs now.

I'll tell anyone that HD on optical is the real deal. Looks fabulous and I'm really only running 1280x720 so some scaling is happening.
  • Reply 2106 of 4650
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Of course, if that was true the Mac would be dead. I just came back from Costco and there isn't a Mac title in sight. And the Mac is doing just fine.

Quote:

Good point

Oh please.... are you guys are really that diluted?!? Do you really believe that its not bad for HD-DVD that Blockbuster is stopping it's support?!?!

Oh and as for comparing this to Apple....

If you REALLY believe that any other marketable product could survive without it's support in retail brick and mortar stores while all of it's other competitors in the field do have representation in B&M stores then you're crazy.

Apple is CLEARLY the exception to the rule and if you don;t think so then you *are* nuts... Its shocking to many that Apple survived the years gone by... Although, with the iPod and the iPhone this view has changed quite a bit in the past three or four years.

Dave
  • Reply 2107 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

What exactly is BD-J? Is this what will enable the more robust features of Blu Ray? If so, why isn't it working now? What's the hold up? Why isn't anyone else complaining about a half-broken format?

BD-J 1.1 is just an interactive java running along with the movie when authored properly. Here's a link about BD-J: http://blueboard.com/bluray/

The problem isn't just running java, but running them as "in-movie-experience" (IME) while playing back an IME authored title. There is a hardware requirement to comply BD-J 1.1 and BD-J 2.0 would require 1.1 compliance and the internet connectivity, which is lacking on most standalone Blu-Ray players. This is the main reason Warner isn't releasing some of the titles in Blu-Ray, because list of movies have already been authored with IME and will not be functional with current hardware. BDA recently mandated BD-J 1.1 for anything manufactured after Oct/Nov. of 2007(not sure of exact date), so the movies requiring BD-J 1.1 will not release until then. Once these IME Blu-Ray movies come out, the complaints will be heard, mostly from the first hand users who bought into 1st and 2nd gen standalone Blu-Ray players.

BTW, HD-DVD uses HDi as a comparable interactive features and all the HD-DVD players are capable of:

1) Internet connectivity

2) IME with online interactivity

3) HiDef Audio decoding
  • Reply 2108 of 4650
    Dave

No I agee the BB deal is bad. While I haven't used Blockbuster in years and have no plans to use them I fully admit that I cannot fully weigh the impact because I'm anti BB and I think Neflix has always kept me happy.
  • Reply 2109 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Yea but what will it say to the (quite large) segment of people who still rent rather than purchase? What will they think when they see the Blu-ray movie selection grow larger and larger and the HD-DVD shelves stagnate?

It'll sure have an impact....

Dave

Well.... when will J6P or even you go into Blockbuster to look for a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD movies to rent?

However, a better question is....

When will majority of Blockbuster retails start carrying NextGen movie format?...

Maybe, we're all little ahead of ourselves for couple of years. Should we actually bring up this topic again when J6P start renting NextGen format movies from the Blockbuster retails over the other online services?
  • Reply 2110 of 4650
    Quote:

The niche market hobbies aren't for the faint hearted ones. This is why it's called the enthusiast market and most of them buy movies..... and stores like Blockbuster would not matter to the enthusiasts. If the NextGen movie format enters into the mass, then the story may have different meaning..... but we're not there yet......

what an odd thing to say, in light of this comment.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

The Netflix distribution center in Tacoma seems to have an adequate stock of available B-r disks, so rental seems to be the way to go for now.

Is bite implying that OC isn't an enthusiast?

Are we at the enthusiast market stage now or are we not?

Or is it that HD-DVD owners and potential owners consider it an enthusiast market, while the BD owners/potential owners, see the writing on the wall that BD is (or is just about to become) a consumer choice?

{waffle about price aside PLEASE}

It is my opinion that OC took his time and made a considered choice to go BD, I beleve he has saw the "writing on the wall" and went with what he believes will be the mass adopterd consumer format.

Sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth OC but I believe your posts on this thread are very thought through and considered, I also don't beleve (from reading your posts) that you would make a rash "enthusiast" decision to buy into a dying format. of course if I'm wrong on that, I'm wrong

-

Its early and I'm off out soon, so I dont have the time to go looking, but I believe I made a similar comment about renting myself somewhere, but then I guess you can turn that into how *I* dont count, but then you will also say its an enthusiast market, which would imply small numbers, funny.. with small numbers you'd think an individual would count a BIT more statistically speaking but whatever turns your knob
  • Reply 2111 of 4650
    Quote:

If you can call a 70% market share and $5BILLION turnover irrelevant!??

What line of business are you in??
  • Reply 2112 of 4650
    Quote:

I'd like to see ANY legitimate statistical data from a source that's at the least pretending to be unbiased. I mean come on a Playstation site is going to give me good HD DVD scoop?

Are you too lazy to find your own? or is it just too difficult to find "good" HD-DVD news now?
  • Reply 2113 of 4650
    Quote:

The mere fact that he has to post so "Blu-ray Blu-ray Blu-ray ...look it's winning!" threads should tip most people off that something is off. Should these type of posts be coming from someone who has no vested interest as of yet in Blu-ray? I had 18 HD DVD discs in Feb 07...certainly that's putting the cart before the horse but man am I enjoying those discs now.

Does he REALLY have to go into that all over again? why not just PM him and ask him directly how his kids are doing, I'm sure they are fine BTW, but this IS a HD-DVD Vs BD thread, not a "hows marzetta7s kids" thread. (no offence to your kids marzetta )

As to posting BEFORE you have a vested interest....

DIDNT YOU? or do you forget?
  • Reply 2114 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

There are three features lacking from Blu-Ray players currently available or new models to come to the market:

3) HiDef Audio Decoding

There are at least two players (PS3 and Panasonic) that can decode TrueHD.
  • Reply 2115 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

Not all video scaler would perform the same. I'd think the REON HQV is the best performer at the price point under $2000. I'm not sure how anal you are with PQ, but I would stay away from PS3 even with scaling option enabled.

Of course, there's always a cheaper option if PQ isn't the highest priority.

One recent review of a projector with the HQV puts the PS3 with the latest firmware at the same PQ level for upconverstion.

Vinea
  • Reply 2116 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    And they are working on making it even better.
  • Reply 2117 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Does he REALLY have to go into that all over again? why not just PM him and ask him directly how his kids are doing, I'm sure they are fine BTW, but this IS a HD-DVD Vs BD thread, not a "hows marzetta7s kids" thread. (no offence to your kids marzetta )

None taken.

I think it boils down to HD DVD proponents' lack of valid arguments, thus going down that slippery slope of name calling, personal inquiries as to if a person has purchased something or not as if it validates ones posts here, and the omnipresent rejection of sales facts, statistics, figures, and trends.

I think that pretty much sums it up. But if your a HD DVD proponent and your format is indeed losing, and losing big, then it doesn't suprise me in the least to see false claims, rationalizations, and backpedalling.
  • Reply 2118 of 4650
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

BD-J 1.1 is just an interactive java running along with the movie when authored properly. Here's a link about BD-J: http://blueboard.com/bluray/

The problem isn't just running java, but running them as "in-movie-experience" (IME) while playing back an IME authored title. There is a hardware requirement to comply BD-J 1.1 and BD-J 2.0 would require 1.1 compliance and the internet connectivity, which is lacking on most standalone Blu-Ray players. This is the main reason Warner isn't releasing some of the titles in Blu-Ray, because list of movies have already been authored with IME and will not be functional with current hardware. BDA recently mandated BD-J 1.1 for anything manufactured after Oct/Nov. of 2007(not sure of exact date), so the movies requiring BD-J 1.1 will not release until then. Once these IME Blu-Ray movies come out, the complaints will be heard, mostly from the first hand users who bought into 1st and 2nd gen standalone Blu-Ray players.

BTW, HD-DVD uses HDi as a comparable interactive features and all the HD-DVD players are capable of:

1) Internet connectivity

2) IME with online interactivity

3) HiDef Audio decoding

Well then screw THAT! I'm not buying into an HD format that's not even complete yet. Why on earth would I want to invest in hardware (EXPENSIVE hardware) that will not be compatible with future versions of movies that include IME data? f*cking Sony! This is why I don't trust these guys.

Why would ANYBODY buy into a format that's not even finished? I simply don't understand. Heck, why would anybody open schill for a crippled format?

So by the end of the year we'll start to see BD-J 1.1 players. But what about BD-J 2.0? What IME features will be lacking (or should I say lackluster) without 2.0 compliance?

Just when I thought it was safe to get into the game I realize that HD-DVD's IME experience is superior to blue-ray. But I am NOT buying into a dead format either.
  • Reply 2119 of 4650
    Quote:

Are you too lazy to find your own? or is it just too difficult to find "good" HD-DVD news now?

It's not difficult at all. The HD-A2 is selling well. I know of two friends who almost took the Costco special at $249. Amazon has done well with the HD standalone players.

HD-A2 ranked 131 in Electronics

HD-A20 ranked 335 in Electronics

HD-XA2 ranked 518 in Electronics

BP-P1200 Blu-ray ranked 837 in Electronics

So the HD DVD players are selling at a nice clip. EVERY HD-DVD player is outselling the highest volume Blu-ray standalone. Blockbuster's announcement sucked and makes no sense but nothing has really made much sense in this battle.

Quote:

Again I had HD DVD discs last year which means I financially supported the format. Whether or not Walter Slocumbe value this or not is irrelevant. The fact is I put my money were my mouth is. I understand that people have their priorities but crowing about something you haven't even invested in yourself sounds a bit disingenuous to some.

Quote:

None taken.

I think it boils down to HD DVD proponents' lack of valid arguments, thus going down that slippery slope of name calling, personal inquiries as to if a person has purchased something or not as if it validates ones posts here, and the omnipresent rejection of sales facts, statistics, figures, and trends.

I think that pretty much sums it up. But if your a HD DVD proponent and your format is indeed losing, and losing big, then it doesn't suprise me in the least to see false claims, rationalizations, and backpedalling.

Thank your for spelling "losing" right. Most Blu-ray fans cannot do that

I find my arguments to be very valid....and I find many of yours to be. People tend to argue points that they like and ignore the weaknesses of their champion. I do think you get "tunnel visioned" because you're such a Blu-ray proponent.

Blu-ray typifies the abject apathy that has infested the American populace. Being treated as untrustworthy and thus limited in your rights of usage is no longer sacrosanct to the populace. They lineup ...eat their gruel and pay more for the privlege.

"The primary objective of copyright is not to reward the labor of authors, but [t]o promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts." "To this end, copyright assures authors the right to their original expression, but encourages others to build freely upon the ideas and information conveyed by a work. This result is neither unfair nor unfortunate. It is the means by which copyright advances the progress of science and art."

-- US Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor

Draconian DRM is an anathema to the progress of Science and Art and thus an anathema to the spririt of Copyright.
  • Reply 2120 of 4650
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Thank your for spelling "losing" right. Most Blu-ray fans cannot do that

"Thank your...", following by a cheap shot at Blu-ray fans with a spelling deficiency? Am I the only one who finds this more than mildly amusing?

Dave