Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2121 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

"Thank your...", following by a cheap shot at Blu-ray fans with a spelling deficiency? Am I the only one who finds this more than mildly amusing?

Dave

There's a difference between a typo and an incorrectly spelled word Dave. I find it mildly amusing but not even amusing enough to want to change my post and add an "e"

Typing is a "muscle memory" thing. Your brain thinks "you" but your fingers are used to a sequence of keystrokes and thus have a "mind" of their own.

A reasonable person could infer that "your" was meant to be "you" but often someone who isn't savvy on "lose" versus "loose" will make the same mistake throughout their commentary.

I'm not too proud to laugh at myself or my horrible typing.
  • Reply 2122 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

The problem isn't just running java, but running them as "in-movie-experience" (IME) while playing back an IME authored title. There is a hardware requirement to comply BD-J 1.1 and BD-J 2.0 would require 1.1 compliance and the internet connectivity, which is lacking on most standalone Blu-Ray players. This is the main reason Warner isn't releasing some of the titles in Blu-Ray, because list of movies have already been authored with IME and will not be functional with current hardware. BDA recently mandated BD-J 1.1 for anything manufactured after Oct/Nov. of 2007(not sure of exact date), so the movies requiring BD-J 1.1 will not release until then.

You're talking about Profile 1.1 and 2.0 - they have nothing to do with BD-J.
  • Reply 2123 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

It's not difficult at all. The HD-A2 is selling well. I know of two friends who almost took the Costco special at $249. Amazon has done well with the HD standalone players.

HD-A2 ranked 131 in Electronics

HD-A20 ranked 335 in Electronics

HD-XA2 ranked 518 in Electronics

BP-P1200 Blu-ray ranked 837 in Electronics

So the HD DVD players are selling at a nice clip. EVERY HD-DVD player is outselling the highest volume Blu-ray standalone.

Just like Planet Earth on HD DVD is outselling every other HD DVD and Blu-ray title? (Hint: it's not).

And again. These are rank and you don't know if there are 5 or 500 sales between number 131 and 837.

Quote:

Again I had HD DVD discs last year which means I financially supported the format. Whether or not Walter Slocumbe value this or not is irrelevant. The fact is I put my money were my mouth is. I understand that people have their priorities but crowing about something you haven't even invested in yourself sounds a bit disingenuous to some.

Who's the fanboy/zealot here? You bought HD DVD movies many months before getting an HD DVD player, and you still only have an SD TV.
  • Reply 2124 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Well then screw THAT! I'm not buying into an HD format that's not even complete yet. Why on earth would I want to invest in hardware (EXPENSIVE hardware) that will not be compatible with future versions of movies that include IME data? f*cking Sony! This is why I don't trust these guys.

Why would ANYBODY buy into a format that's not even finished? I simply don't understand. Heck, why would anybody open schill for a crippled format?

So by the end of the year we'll start to see BD-J 1.1 players. But what about BD-J 2.0? What IME features will be lacking (or should I say lackluster) without 2.0 compliance?

Do you know what IME is? Even without a Profile 1.1 player you can still watch every movie, you just don't get a PiP with commentary (or other kind of IME) on those movies that will have IME.

And again: it's Profile 1.1 - not BD-J 1.1

Every single Blu-ray player has to be 100% BD-J compliant.
  • Reply 2125 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

You're talking about Profile 1.1 and 2.0 - they have nothing to do with BD-J.

You're correct. BD-J is just an application programing environment supporting Blu-Ray. The profile 1.1 and 2.0 does require hardware support to expand the added user interactivity within the BD-J environment, which is lacking in the current Standalone Blu-Ray players available on the market.
  • Reply 2126 of 4650
    Quote:

There are at least two players (PS3 and Panasonic) that can decode TrueHD.

I was refering to Standalone Blu-Ray players. I was also meaning to point out that no current players comply to all the features:

1) Internet Connectivity

2) BD-J Profile 1.1/2.0

3) Hidef Audio decoding

But it's definitely good to hear that Pany BMP-10a support TrueHD. 1 out of 3 is better than nothing.

Samsung BDP-1200 does support internet connectivity, but no Hidef audio decoding.... so... 1 out of 3 seems to be the trend with standalone Blu-Ray players.
  • Reply 2127 of 4650
    Quote:

Just like Planet Earth on HD DVD is outselling every other HD DVD and Blu-ray title? (Hint: it's not).

And again. These are rank and you don't know if there are 5 or 500 sales between number 131 and 837.

Who's the fanboy/zealot here? You bought HD DVD movies many months before getting an HD DVD player, and you still only have an SD TV.

The ranking should be meaningful nonetheless because it's relative the metric "DVD sales" or "HD movie sales"

I try not to focus too much on Amazon but they are a large online retailer.

I don't know...I'm a fan of HD DVD but then again I'm not interested in seeing Blu-ray die or anything. In a perfect world we'd have two competing formats that have equal studio support and the best format would rise to the top and win on its own merits. Studio exclusivity is demeritous way of winning a format war.

I think most people would realize that the solution that is cheaper would win and thus it's easy to see why Blu-ray is working so hard to keep exclusivity at the detriment of working people who are falling deeper and deeper into debt.

Nope..I'm the proud owner of a new 32 Sharp Aquos HDTV...it's beautiful. I haven't even told my gf yet because I've convinced her to get a HDTV this Xmas and she likes the 37" Sharp.

I'm certainly not trying to bust Marzetta7's balls on not owning a Blu-ray player. His family is going to benefit far quicker from that gorgeous Enclave.

JLL I know that with Blu-ray as the only option my access to foreign films will take a HUGE hit. Region Controls absolutely demolish the access to foreign films. Yes Disney and Fox and others want control for the mega titles but the small German flick or the burgoening movies from Korea and other places are likely to support regions even though they don't have the huge disty.

I think the initial lure of Blu-ray was the "Teh 50Gigger discs" and when that was shown to make a little difference things swung back to content.
  • Reply 2128 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

One recent review of a projector with the HQV puts the PS3 with the latest firmware at the same PQ level for upconverstion.

Vinea

I'm actually interested in seeing full review of PS3 with the most current firmware that allows video scaling. I'm not sure video playback is handled by the nvida chipset now(no pure video with rsx?) or the CPU via software, but I'd assume that any software means of video processing would have trouble with 3:2 pull down and CUE as we see with HTPC.

This was my main reason to recommend hardware solution than software to achieve best PQ. Especially, when all 1080p24 contents ould be scaled down to 720p for HiDef material and all the 480i materials would be process to 720p.

It would be interesting if software video processing solution can coming close to current hardware video processing levels, even w/out including more advance video filter features.

Anyway, the lastest video benchmarks I've seen with HTPC usually comes close to slightly above average scores as a DVD player, but that way about 6 months ago or more.
  • Reply 2129 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

Well then screw THAT! I'm not buying into an HD format that's not even complete yet. Why on earth would I want to invest in hardware (EXPENSIVE hardware) that will not be compatible with future versions of movies that include IME data? f*cking Sony! This is why I don't trust these guys.

Why would ANYBODY buy into a format that's not even finished? I simply don't understand. Heck, why would anybody open schill for a crippled format?

So by the end of the year we'll start to see BD-J 1.1 players. But what about BD-J 2.0? What IME features will be lacking (or should I say lackluster) without 2.0 compliance?

Just when I thought it was safe to get into the game I realize that HD-DVD's IME experience is superior to blue-ray. But I am NOT buying into a dead format either.

Well.... that's why it's a hobby not an investment. Only thing you gain by jumping in the niche format is just an extra toy that you can enjoy today.

Couple months back, someone brought up backing up HiDef format contents onto 8.5GB DL DVD...... The other day, I downloaded 1.5GB (1hr video) encoded at 720p divx format and I was able to stream this live and watch with 350k/s download speed w/out much buffering. The PQ on this material was as good as DirecTV 1080i/720p broadcast. I was really amazed. So, this proves that any 2 hour movie could easily be backed up onto 8.5GB DL DVD disc even with TrueHD audio and still retain HD quality PQ. Another interesting thing is that the contents can be easily streamed and instantly viewed with about 300-400k/s download speed.

Anyway, the point is that I'd be more worried about the download service than about which nextgen disc format would win. If you can wait another 6 months to a year, you may not even need to decide on the disc format, but just download the movies you like in HD. Of course, I would still be buying discs, though, because I prefer collecting the tangible object that comes with a case and printed cover art of the movie.
  • Reply 2130 of 4650
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    I don't care what you say, the vast majority of people will still want discs. Most people aren't technologically savvy and would rather not try and figure it out but get a disc. Also, I hate the idea of downloads, personally, because I am paranoid that the hdd will fail or something will happen to my copy. If I have a physical disc, I can control what happens to it more so. Same goes with music, I want an actual hard copy, not just 1's and 0's. People will start to switch a lot more to HD in the next 3 or 4 years, I'de say.
  • Reply 2131 of 4650
    deleted post
  • Reply 2132 of 4650
    Quote:

The ranking should be meaningful nonetheless because it's relative the metric "DVD sales" or "HD movie sales"

I try not to focus too much on Amazon but they are a large online retailer.

So from that I learnt that ranking is meaningful, but don't focus on it too much.

But then here comes another murch classic

Quote:

I think most people would realize that the solution that is cheaper would win and thus it's easy to see why Blu-ray is working so hard to keep exclusivity at the detriment of working people who are falling deeper and deeper into debt.

Now if thats not an all time low in FUD spreading, according to murch BD will put AND keep you in debt!

but then look at the HD-DVD emissary.

Quote:

Nope..I'm the proud owner of a new 32 Sharp Aquos HDTV...it's beautiful. I haven't even told my gf yet because I've convinced her to get a HDTV this Xmas and she likes the 37" Sharp.

I love the fact that you have a new TV, really really happy for you, but you are going to as much as FORCE your gf Into buying a TV she might not actually need!! great debt saving plan there

-

you know I had an interesting day today, but I'm sure glad to be back to read this "entertainment" tonight
  • Reply 2133 of 4650
    Right! I thought I was done here, but I found this (which is likely news to some of you)

Universal Responds to Blockbuster Blu-ray Move

Author Benny Har-Even

Published 21st June 2007

Universal Responds to Blockbuster Blu-ray Move

Only a few days ago Blockbuster made the announcement that it was dropping HD DVD rentals from its stores, which was widely reported as a major blow to the Toshiba led camp. It was timely then that some of the key supporters of the format came together to give a selected group of journalists an update on the current state-of-play from the HD DVD camp.

The key question was naturally enough what its response was to Blockbuster’s move to drop HD DVD rentals from 250 of its US stores. Ken Graffeo, Executive Vice President of High Definition Strategic Marketing for Universal and co-president HD DVD Promotional Group, shrugged off the Blockbuster move, stating that rental counted for less the one per cent of its revenue. He also pointed out that Blockbuster still offered HD DVD on its online stores.

Ken then said that the interactive and online features of HD DVD that gave it an edge over Blu-ray, stating that Blu-ray’s BD-J had only just been finally ratified, rendering early players obsolete. By contrast HD DVD was a fixed standard and that any player that didn’t conform could not use the official logo, hence it’s absence from LG’s new dual format player.

Interestingly, Microsoft’s Xavier Bringué revealed that it was only when the Blu-ray camp decided it was going with Java that it decided to stop being format agnostic and go with HD DVD – a tacit admission that the move was purely political, based on Microsoft’s poor relationship with Sun. Bringué also scotched rumours that Microsoft had any plans for a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox in the future.

What Ken really said would win the format war was price, with HD DVD’s lower production costs giving it an advantage here over Blu-ray. When asked about when we would see a £100 ($200) HD DVD player, Toshiba’s Olivier Van Wynendaele, said it was unlikely to be this year, but that we could soon expect for see decks from Chinese manufactures that would undercut its own entry-level HD-E1 deck, which can currently be picked up for around £260.(520)

So THATS why M$ went with BD, they don't like Sun at all do they

Apart from that its all very interesting. {drums fingers}

Linky
  • Reply 2134 of 4650
    Danged interweb theres always another link!

Fox Announces 22 Titles for France

Posted June 21, 2007 by Josh

These days, any Blu-ray news from Fox is good news, but when you start seeing release dates for some of the titles Fox delayed many months ago, you're heart starts to beat just a little bit faster. New releases for September 26th: 'Day After Tomorrow', 'Independence Day', and 'Platoon'. New releases for October 24th: 'Predator', 'Commando', 'Robocop', 'Arthur and the Invisibles', 'The Hills Have Eyes', 'Ice Age', and 'Tristan & Isolde'.

Also being released those two days, are titles which have already been released in other regions, as well as the French films 'Renaissance', 'Les Choristes', and 'Ne Le Dis A Personne'. For some specs and cover art, click on the source below.

No official word when or if these titles will make it to other countries, but expect an announcement sooner than later.

Taken from the blu-ray.com site, I post this in response to hmurchisons fears that there won't be many forigen films on BD and also because I doubt he goes to the blu-ray.com site. I guess there are french films a commin after all and from FOX of all places
  • Reply 2135 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

oh boy

All that and then this..

Finger memory won't get you out of that

I wont comment on "disty" :P

Walter...I like you man! I took a calculated risk. My thought process went like this.

Merit ....antonym "demerit"

Where I screwed up was that I thought "meritous" was the adjective form but had I forgot some characters that should have made it " meritorious" thus the antonym should be "demeritorious"

"disty" of course is slang for "distribution" and anyone who been in sales for a while knows it. Don't make me give up all my slang

I try not to be the vocab/grammar local police as my grammar and vocab are fluid things. English wasn't my strong suit growing up as I grew up in a fairly urban and diverse area where "Kings English" tended to you picked on.

However I have a fondness for words and do not feel slighted in the least to have someone correct my oversight. If I pick on a word from any of you I can easily have a laugh with you regarding my own foibles in linquistic syntax.

Marzetta7 and I have had brief offline discussion and I know that of anyone in this thread he and I are most alike. So if what I say to him publically seems harsh it's really only because I know he's a stubborn SoB like I am and I respect that. He knows this .....just like he knows HD DVD is the chosen format <heheheheh>
  • Reply 2136 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

I'm actually interested in seeing full review of PS3 with the most current firmware that allows video scaling. I'm not sure video playback is handled by the nvida chipset now(no pure video with rsx?) or the CPU via software, but I'd assume that any software means of video processing would have trouble with 3:2 pull down and CUE as we see with HTPC.

This was my main reason to recommend hardware solution than software to achieve best PQ. Especially, when all 1080p24 contents ould be scaled down to 720p for HiDef material and all the 480i materials would be process to 720p.

It would be interesting if software video processing solution can coming close to current hardware video processing levels, even w/out including more advance video filter features.

Anyway, the lastest video benchmarks I've seen with HTPC usually comes close to slightly above average scores as a DVD player, but that way about 6 months ago or more.

Software DVD players have (had?) issues with misflagged DVDs but typically no trouble with 3:2 pulldown. TheaterTek + FFDShow + whatever software du jour has very good PQ but its just so much easier these days to go with a hardware solution. You can argue which has the best PQ with the folks in the AVS HTPC forum.

These days the primary value of a HTPC setup is as a media server. Something fairly expensive to do with hardware but fairly easy in software. Convinence with a 90% PQ solution trumps a single disc 99% PQ solution.

So personally I don't care anymore. PQ even with cheap gear (software or h/w) is as good as very expensive equipment from 5 years ago and trying to figure out what has the last 10% is pointless given you can get HQV scaling in a $1200 projector (BenQ W500).

Vinea
  • Reply 2137 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Software DVD players have (had?) issues with misflagged DVDs but typically no trouble with 3:2 pulldown. TheaterTek + FFDShow + whatever software du jour has very good PQ but its just so much easier these days to go with a hardware solution. You can argue which has the best PQ with the folks in the AVS HTPC forum.

These days the primary value of a HTPC setup is as a media server. Something fairly expensive to do with hardware but fairly easy in software. Convinence with a 90% PQ solution trumps a single disc 99% PQ solution.

So personally I don't care anymore. PQ even with cheap gear (software or h/w) is as good as very expensive equipment from 5 years ago and trying to figure out what has the last 10% is pointless given you can get HQV scaling in a $1200 projector (BenQ W500).

Vinea

I can't argue with you there because I do also enjoy using HTPC and don't mind the trade off. I've been watching lots of divx downloads these days on my HTPC and have been impressed with 720p encoded material on 1080p LCD via PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra or even free VLC player.

But when it comes to playing anything on a optical disc, I still do prefer a hardware solution especially on the HD-XA2. Some of the noise filters on the Reon VX chipset does wonders for SD-DVD playback.
  • Reply 2138 of 4650
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

There's a difference between a typo and an incorrectly spelled word Dave. I find it mildly amusing but not even amusing enough to want to change my post and add an "e"

Typing is a "muscle memory" thing. Your brain thinks "you" but your fingers are used to a sequence of keystrokes and thus have a "mind" of their own.

A reasonable person could infer that "your" was meant to be "you" but often someone who isn't savvy on "lose" versus "loose" will make the same mistake throughout their commentary.

I'm not too proud to laugh at myself or my horrible typing.

Hey, it's great to know you have a valid and reasonable explanation for screwing up... unlike those ignorant baboons who can't spell! Boy aren't you the lucky one.
  • Reply 2139 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

Hey, it's great to know you have a valid and reasonable explanation for screwing up... unlike those ignorant baboons who can't spell! Boy aren't you the lucky one.

It is what it is. Leave the wit and sarcasm to those on the boards that do it better. When we want dry drab and boring we'll call on you.
  • Reply 2140 of 4650
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

It is what it is. Leave the wit and sarcasm to those on the boards that do it better. When we want dry drab and boring we'll call on you.

Roger dodger captain. Your wish is but my command.