Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 3581 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Is it wrong of me to wish the red ring of death to every xbox 360 owner? :*(

Grrrr.. if people want those games, get them for pc. Grrr microsoft. To make this truly on topic, with microsoft siding with hddvd, do you think apple would go bluray exclusive?

You'd think so (Apple going Blu-ray exclusive), especially with HD DVD heavily using the VC-1 codec and not the H.264 codec that Apple is heavily involved in.
  • Reply 3582 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

You'd think so (Apple going Blu-ray exclusive), especially with HD DVD heavily using the VC-1 codec and not the H.264 codec that Apple is heavily involved in.

Hm... so blu-ray can not use VC-1?..... aren't most Warner's titles use VC-1 on both blu-ray and HD-DVD? The mpeg2 was heavily used by Sony in the begining not H264, however.

blame studios for chosing VC-1 over h264, both blu-ray and HD-DVD includes H264, VC-1, & MPEG2 as standard codec specification.
  • Reply 3583 of 4650
    So what's the word? It's past 1:00pm EST.
  • Reply 3584 of 4650
    Looks like the rumor is false, as was thought initially. I fully don't expect to see any type of announcement such as WB exclusivity until after Q4.
  • Reply 3585 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Hm... so blu-ray can not use VC-1?..... aren't most Warner's titles use VC-1 on both blu-ray and HD-DVD? The mpeg2 was heavily used by Sony in the begining not H264, however.

blame studios for chosing VC-1 over h264, both blu-ray and HD-DVD includes H264, VC-1, & MPEG2 as standard codec specification.

I didn't state that Blu-ray can not use VC-1, just that H.264 is used more often on Blu-ray than it is on HD DVD (outside of Warner).

I'm not blaming anything on anyone, and thank you for sharing common knowledge about both formats using H.264, VC-1, and MPEG2. The question is, does Apple want to support a format--HD DVD--that heavily and for the majority uses a Microsoft backed codec in VC-1 or support a format--Blu-ray--that more often uses an Apple backed codec in H.264?
  • Reply 3586 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Even though I'm a dual-format supporter, I'm a little surprised apple hasn't offered Blu-ray BURNING capabilities in their machines yet. They were one of the first to support DVD-RAM and DVD-R. I remember the g4 733 (before the quicksilvers) was the first line up to offer BTO DVD-R. It was over $700 if I remembe correctly. Blu-ray burners are down in the 400's now. Why isn't apple offering them in their machines? I don't believe it's this war. But then again, I wouldn't put it passed them. But it just strikes me odd that history says apple supports the bleeding edge optical media burning, except in this case. Hrm...
  • Reply 3587 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Is it wrong of me to wish the red ring of death to every xbox 360 owner? :*(

Grrrr.. if people want those games, get them for pc. Grrr microsoft. To make this truly on topic, with microsoft siding with hddvd, do you think apple would go bluray exclusive?

Heh...sure. On the other hand, World in Conflict drives my mac pro to its knees. Of course its the crappy 7300 card but still.

For my home PC I'd need to essentially rebuild it to play ANYTHING but WoW. The 360 and PS3 look pretty cheap in comparison to a SLI or Crossfire rig.

ObHD: Nah, Apple wont go exclusive unless Blu-Ray wins. Whatever the pro and prosumer folks want to burn to Apple needs to support. Of course, today that's really just DVD since few folks do Blu-Ray and even fewer HD-DVD unless they own a Toshiba laptop.
  • Reply 3588 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Even though I'm a dual-format supporter, I'm a little surprised apple hasn't offered Blu-ray BURNING capabilities in their machines yet. They were one of the first to support DVD-RAM and DVD-R. I remember the g4 733 (before the quicksilvers) was the first line up to offer BTO DVD-R. It was over $700 if I remembe correctly. Blu-ray burners are down in the 400's now. Why isn't apple offering them in their machines? I don't believe it's this war. But then again, I wouldn't put it passed them. But it just strikes me odd that history says apple supports the bleeding edge optical media burning, except in this case. Hrm...

Steve is likely focused on iPhone, iPod touch, etc.

You know, what I said that I got the image of Sauron's one eye in LOTR searching for the hobbits then zooming off when Aragorn and company started knocking on his gate...
  • Reply 3589 of 4650
    There's no point to including an HD drive until HD support is ready with Leopard.

Secondly, because of the war and Apple's stake in the download arena, it's not a pressing concern.

It will likely come with the next big rev of the Mac Pro, probably at MWSF.
  • Reply 3590 of 4650
    Good News from Warner!

Warner will stop COMBO HD-DVD as of Jan 2008. The latest Harry Potter may be the last combo disc on HD-DVD. Perhaps, the new HD-DVD TL twin format is soon to follow?

At least, it will keep the HD-DVD HDM price down. I personally had no issues with about 8 combo HD-DVD's. The extra cost was not the favorite part about it, but I did like the part that I can use it in the car for my little one.
  • Reply 3591 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

There's no point to including an HD drive until HD support is ready with Leopard.

Secondly, because of the war and Apple's stake in the download arena, it's not a pressing concern.

It will likely come with the next big rev of the Mac Pro, probably at MWSF.

Optical Storage? Blu-ray prices per gig are getting close to DVD DL. I would much rather have larger discs holding mah data. But apparently they dont' care about that, and are probably suggesting if we do care about it to buy it ourselves.
  • Reply 3592 of 4650
    Quote:

Optical Storage? Blu-ray prices per gig are getting close to DVD DL. I would much rather have larger discs holding mah data. But apparently they dont' care about that, and are probably suggesting if we do care about it to buy it ourselves.

Have you not upgraded your mac/pc... memory, HD, or CPU & GPU?.... I've never bought one with all the config I would like to get. Upgrading to my own specification works fine and same thing can also apply to HD optical drives. Most third party upgrades are "do it yourself" upgrades, but I'd much prefer it.
  • Reply 3593 of 4650
    Of course I have upgraded before (typing on a hack).

Honestly I don't use the BTO that apple offers anyways, because i can find it cheaper and install / do it mysql cheaper.

That's besides the point, many people AREN'T technical enough / don't want the inconvenience of doing it themselves. Just thought it was interesting that apple usually has jumped on this bandwagon before anyone else, but they are stepping back on this one for some reason, even though there is only one HD burning media.
  • Reply 3594 of 4650
    I thought this was interesting, I kinda felt this way a while ago. Not so sure right now. But I'm not j6p either.

http://www.betanews.com/article/HD_D...e/1190836560/1
  • Reply 3595 of 4650
    Quote:

Of course I have upgraded before (typing on a hack).

Honestly I don't use the BTO that apple offers anyways, because i can find it cheaper and install / do it mysql cheaper.

That's besides the point, many people AREN'T technical enough / don't want the inconvenience of doing it themselves. Just thought it was interesting that apple usually has jumped on this bandwagon before anyone else, but they are stepping back on this one for some reason, even though there is only one HD burning media.

I would think that many people AREN'T technical enough / don't know, care, and need HD burning media now when it cost $10/disc. Especially, it requires third party software to burn it.

I'm not a J6P either, but I will probably wait for HD optical burner until I can buy the media disc for $1/disc or less.

BTW, Apple may be the first to include the DVD burner as BTO, but was probably the last to include DL DVD burning. So, it's hard to say what apple should/shouldn't do in the hidef optical disc burning solutions.
  • Reply 3596 of 4650
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Is this war over yet? Damn.

War?! I'm not even sure this qualifies as "a police action"....

D
  • Reply 3597 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Wasn't Apple behind the curve on including CD burners?
  • Reply 3598 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

Wasn't Apple behind the curve on including CD burners?

Owww, it hurts to think that far back, but if my memory serves me correctly... apple was in the middle of a transition period... as jobs took over?
  • Reply 3599 of 4650
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveGee View Post

War?! I'm not even sure this qualifies as "a police action"....

D

OK, "scout action" for you.
  • Reply 3600 of 4650
    Quote:

Owww, it hurts to think that far back, but if my memory serves me correctly... apple was in the middle of a transition period... as jobs took over?

No, CD Burners came in under the era of Jobs, and Apple as a whole very much dropped the ball on that one. They didn't think CD burning was going to be a big deal, betting that DVD burning would negate the need/desire for CD burning altogether. Steve admitted as such late in the game, and they came back in a big way with CD burners in their Macs and the release of iTunes 1.0. The rest, of course, is history.