Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 3661 of 4650
    Anybody got any new news on the war front?
  • Reply 3662 of 4650
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Toshiba Shows New HD DVD Players

Ceatec: Upcoming HD DVD players/recorders from Toshiba promise to store more high-def video.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...401026_pf.html
  • Reply 3663 of 4650
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I'm going to take the plunge and get a Toshiba A30. The demo at Best Buy was breathtaking. I'm sold.
  • Reply 3664 of 4650
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate View Post

I'm going to take the plunge and get a Toshiba A30. The demo at Best Buy was breathtaking. I'm sold.

Why not wait for one of the new ones. The post above yours has a URL describing what Toshiba will have out in a "few weeks."
  • Reply 3665 of 4650
    Those are "recorders". And I'm suspecting that they will be EXPENSIVE when they're released.
  • Reply 3666 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Cost of the BD100 will go down significantly over time. It's promising to see that 100GB is possible for the future of the format.

I would think $10 - $20 would be the BD100 price after the significant price drop (2 to 4 years after the release). The current prices on the BD writable media are:

~ $10 for BD25

~ $45 for BD50

~ $100+ for BD100 when released?

At these prices, I will be happy with 4.5GB SL-DVD media at less than $0.20/disc. I usually back up important files to the external HD or on a DVD, and have not backed up a my whole drive since the days where all the work computers were backed up on the stacks of 3.5" floppy discs. I use raid set up for my media server and back up isn't really necessary any more even when BD100 can be had for $1.00.
  • Reply 3667 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

Anybody got any new news on the war front?

It's still Thanksgiving. Can't we all just get along?
  • Reply 3668 of 4650
    Quote:

Good luck finding a deal on the A30. I heard that amazon has it for $295!...

The 3rd gen HD-DVD players are supposed to include 300 & Bourne HD-DVD movies for free along with free 5 HD-DVD rebates.

enjoy your new toy!...
  • Reply 3669 of 4650
    Guys, what would you say the percentage is when it comes to blu-ray/hd-dvd favoritism is on these forums?
  • Reply 3670 of 4650
    Quote:

Guys, what would you say the percentage is when it comes to blu-ray/hd-dvd favoritism is on these forums?

Do you mean the actual number of people who own one of the format players or the rabidity of the format supporters?
  • Reply 3671 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Do you mean the actual number of people who own one of the format players or the rabidity of the format supporters?

Haha... I guess who's a bluray supporter, hd-dvd, and undecided.
  • Reply 3672 of 4650
    This forum is overwhelmingly in favor of Blu Ray and extremely intolerant of HD-DVD folks. And they get really really pissy when you call them on it.

Just my opinion.

• Reply 3673 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    I'll second that.
  • Reply 3674 of 4650
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

BD-66% HDD-34% -- kinda like the YTD numbers...but I think the BD favortism on this site is just beginning. It will more than likely mirror disc sales for BD in that it will likely increase above 70% during the holidays.
  • Reply 3675 of 4650
    Quote:

This forum is overwhelmingly in favor of Blu Ray and extremely intolerant of HD-DVD folks. And they get really really pissy when you call them on it.

Just my opinion.

In MY opinion its a fair split, at least the volume comming from posters is equal, and the HD-DVD folks get "pissy" pretty damn fast.

but whatever
  • Reply 3676 of 4650
    HD DVD is cheaper?

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Quote:

In other news for the HD-DVD camp, just two days after Sony DADC announced that they'd replicated their milestone 10 millionth 50GB Blu-ray Disc (click here for the Video Business story), the HD-DVD Promotions Group quickly countered with a little damage control, making sure everyone knew that the DVD Forum was close to approving the spec for a triple-layer 51GB HD-DVD disc (click here). However, industry sources are telling us that NONE of the existing Toshiba HD-DVD players and drives are currently capable of reading them. Indeed, the Video Business story indicates that once the spec is finalized, "compatibility with current HD DVD player and recorders can be investigated." According to reports from Bits readers who were on at CEATAC this weekend, Toshiba reps confirmed to attendees that the triple-layer disc configuration would require a hardware change, meaning that the existing drives are not firmware updatable.

Whoops! The HD DVD camp would like to take this time to beg you to upgrade your hardware...
  • Reply 3677 of 4650
    Futureshop dropping HD DVD?

Quote:

Also today (and this would go in the Rumor Mill category so salt it accordingly), a number of readers have e-mailed us to say they're hearing that Canadian electronics retailer Future Shop may be dropping HD-DVD. The retailer has reportedly liquidated its stock of Toshiba HD-DVD hardware and their online site no longer lists stand-alone HD-DVD hardware (only Blu-ray and Combo players remain). What's more, employees from multiple Future Shop locations have apparently told Bits readers that the chain is no longer stocking HD-DVD due to lack of interest from their customers. We'll have to see if there's anything to this. It COULD simply be due to a change-over in Toshiba's player models (the new models for late 2007-2008 aren't in stores yet). Thanks to Bits reader Dan C. (among others) for the info.

^^^Rumor, but potentially damning rumor at that.
  • Reply 3678 of 4650
    HD DVD Punked Again...

Quote:

Now then... time for some controversial high-def stuff (so if you don't want to hear it, now's the time to tune out). First, the HD-DVD Promotions Group has had to apologize once again for mistakenly leaking word that Steven Spielberg films would be coming to the HD-DVD format. At the CEATAC confab in Japan this past weekend, Universal Studios Japan apparently showed a slide (as part of a larger presentation) that indicated that Jaws, E.T., Jurassic Park and Close Encounters of Third Kind would soon be coming to HD-DVD. Oops! Apparently not so. The HD-DVD Group quickly issued this statement on behalf of Universal: "Universal has not made any formal announcements regarding Spielberg catalog titles coming to HD DVD at this time." That's because they can't. As many of you may already know, Spielberg has instead authorized Sony to release Close Encounters of Third Kind exclusively on Blu-ray on 11/13. As you may remember, the HD-DVD camp leaked similar news earlier this year and had to retract it then too. You can read more here at Home Media.

^^^Yeah, they did it again if you can believe it.
  • Reply 3679 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Actually, I think the board is split fairly evenly between the two competing standards.

Posts however, are another matter. A certain Blu-Ray backer has been continually spamming the board for almost two years with every BR press release and news tidbit he can find.
  • Reply 3680 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Actually, I think the board is split fairly evenly between the two competing standards.

Posts however, are another matter. A certain Blu-Ray backer has been continually spamming the board for almost two years with every BR press release and news tidbit he can find.

correction.... there are more HD-DVD supporters when counting ownership. However, the lip service supporters for Blu-Ray definitely seem louder.