Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 761 of 4650
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I'm not holding out for holographic storage, but 20GB is marginal to me. It's already more cost effective to back up data on HD than it is on optical disk. Both formats are big enough to hold feature length films. The rest is moot. Yes, I do know that BluRay ? Sony. That's why I'm simply annoyed at the prospective death of HDDVD and not moaning in agony and burning Sony in effigy.

I have not doubt that if Sony wanted to do something without the approval of the BDA, they would tell the BDA to go stuff it. That's exactly what they did when the DVD forum chose HDDVD over BluRay.
  • Reply 762 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I have not doubt that if Sony wanted to do something without the approval of the BDA, they would tell the BDA to go stuff it. That's exactly what they did when the DVD forum chose HDDVD over BluRay.

Sony invests a great deal of time and money developing a new technology, and you expect them to simply throw it all away because a group of people think it should be done a different way? I'm glad Sony had the courage of their convictions to say Blu-Ray is the best approach, and from what I see, Sony is right. We may not like their business practices, but you cannot fault Blu-Ray technology.

• Reply 763 of 4650
    No, and I'm not. As I posted, I have no problem with Blu-Ray technology. I have a problem with the chief company behind Blu-Ray technology.

Ok, this one's for the Blu-Ray fans.. is there a hyphen or not?
  • Reply 764 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

No, and I'm not. As I posted, I have no problem with Blu-Ray technology. I have a problem with the chief company behind Blu-Ray technology.

Ok, this one's for the Blu-Ray fans.. is there a hyphen or not?

Sorry about that. My fault. I took it that you thought Sony should have shut down their HD disc development work, and get behind HD-DVD. I'm a Blu-Ray fan, but neutral on Sony. They do make good stuff, however, and I just bought a Sony LCD HDTV.

I think I've always seen a hyphen, except when someone writes just BD.

• Reply 765 of 4650
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Yeah, with a hyphen, but the r is not capitalized: Blu-ray.
  • Reply 766 of 4650
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

You do know that many of the DVD Forum steering committee members support Blu-ray and not necessarily HD DVD, don't you?
  • Reply 767 of 4650
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Just to add once more of other technical superiorities Blu-ray possesses...

Blu-ray has a more robust and durable disc.

Oh come on Marzetta. Cheerleading is one thing, misleading is another.

We've been through this one. BR needed to be made much more robust and durable than HD-DVD because the information on the disc sits much closer to the surface.

At the end of the day, it's a wash. And I doubt the extra "durability" will leave the discs any more resilient than we expect. I think we older folks all remember being told how "unscratchable" CDs were supposed to be.
  • Reply 768 of 4650
    Is there any reason why the miraculous durabis coating cannot be applied to HDDVD discs?
  • Reply 769 of 4650
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Why would you be happier if HD-DVD prevailed? The only real difference is the size of the disk, and the durability of the disk, and both of those favor Blu-Ray. If one is to prevail the one that can hold more data is obviously best for everybody. These formats are going to be used for more than just movies.

why? why is more space better for everybody if disks could be out the door a lot quicker than we imagine? why create the confusion with "bluray"? why have to buy a player that cant play regular dvd's? why give a company like sony this kind of control?
  • Reply 770 of 4650
    Not to shoot down someone who's jumping to my defense, but I thought playing regular DVDs was part of the Blu-ray spec.
  • Reply 771 of 4650
    Quote:

Incorrect again. I'm going to regurgitate a post I made over at HighDefDigest, because it seems it may do you some good in terms of some facts in regards to the current predicament we are in with the format war...(note: this isn't directly pointed toward you Guartho, but I think it will give those who are under the misunderstanding that the DVD Forum truly chose HD DVD.)

Okay, history lesson time. As many of you'll notice, there are many companies that are a part of the DVD Forum that are also a part of the BDA. Why? One may ask, is because of certain events that have brought us to the current predicament of having two next generation of formats.

First, is that Blu-ray was ofiicially announced in February of 2002 (with the development of the technology spanning all the way back to 1995)...

http://www.blu-raydisc.com/top/About_us/Index.html

One year and nine months later, HD DVD format was announced in November of 2003...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

This link (and there are many others) also support the fact that Blu-ray was first in terms of the creation of the next generation format...

http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/HDDVDTutorial.shtml

Having stated this and providing proof for this fact, the question remains, why are we in this predicament? Well, if there is a good portion of blame to throw too, it is to the Toshiba clan who, when presenting the HD DVD format to the DVD Forum, could NOT get the necessary votes within the DVD Forum to get their format approved. So what happened? Well, the committee, changed the way votes were counted, so that abstained votes were not counted, since the majority of the steering committee were Blu-ray supporters (10 out of 17) and were not present.

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.a...D=6572&catID=4

If this is not dirty, I don't know what is, but the reality of the fact is that a format war was not upon us until Toshiba and Co. resorted to unethical tacticts to get their format approved by the DVD Forum. Furthermore, even though that HD DVD has the DVD Forum's approval, it is important to note that...

http://www.timefordvd.com/tutorial/HDDVDTutorial.shtml

Quote:

Note that the DVD Forum does not specify standards. It does not design formats, rather it provides support in terms of format compliance verification. Designing formats is under the realm of manufacturers or teams of manufacturers.

So either way, the DVD Forum doesn't mean really much at all, but simply a hyped talking point of HD DVD supporters.

So, in summation, given the facts of history and the present, it is clear to see how ridiculous this thread is and what it is attempting to propose as here are who is behind the Blu-ray format when it was the FIRST to introduce its next generation format, and here's a hint, it is NOT just Sony...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...orting_Blu-ray

Quote:

Board of Directors

The Blu-Ray Association website describes the role of the Board of Directors as follows [1]:

"Companies participating in the Board of Directors are active participants of the format creation and key BDA activities. They are selected from the Contributors by election. The board sets an overall strategy and approves key issues. A board member can participate in all activities and attend all meetings. The Blu-ray Disc Founder companies will make up the initial Board of Directors. Annual fee: $ 50,000"

The current 18 board members (as of 09/12/2006) are [2]:

Apple

Dell

Hewlett-Packard

Hitachi

LG

Mitsubishi Electric

Panasonic

Pioneer

Philips

Samsung

Sharp

Sony

Sun Microsystems

TDK

Thomson

Twentieth Century Fox

Walt Disney

Warner Bros.

[edit] Contributors

The role of contibutors as described by the Blu Ray Association Website[3]:

"Contributors are active participants of the format creation and other key BDA activities. They can be elected to become a member of the Board of Directors. A contributor can attend general meetings and seminars, and can participate in Technical Expert Groups (TEGs), regional Promotion Team activities, and most of the Compliance Committee (CC) activities. Membership requires execution of Contribution Agreement and must be approved by the Board of Directors. Annual fee: $ 20,000"

The 65 Contributors as of December 2006 are [4]:

Adobe Systems

Almedio Inc.

Alticast

Aplix Corporation

ArcSoft, Inc.

ATI Technologies Inc.

Atmel Corporation

AudioDev AB

Broadcom Corporation

Canon Inc.

CMC Magnetics Corporation

Coding Technologies GmbH

Cryptography Research Inc.

CyberLink Corp.

DATARIUS Technologies GmbH

DCA Inc.

Deluxe Media Services Inc.

Dolby Laboratories Inc.

DTS, Inc.

Electronic Arts Inc.

Esmertec

Fuji Photo Film Co. Ltd.

Fujitsu Ltd.

Gibson Guitar Corp.

Horizon Semiconductor

Imation Corp.

InterVideo Inc.

Kenwood Corporation

Lionsgate Entertainment

LITE-ON IT Corporation

LSI Logic

MediaTek Inc.

Meridian Audio Ltd.

Metta Technology

Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Co.Ltd.

Mitsui Chemicals Inc.

Moser Baer India Limited

NEC Electronics Corporation

Nero

Optodisc Technology Corporation

Paramount Pictures Corporation

Pixela Corporation

Prodisc Technology Inc.

Pulstec Industrial Co., Ltd.

Ricoh Co., Ltd.

Ritek Corporation

ShibaSoku Co. Ltd.

Sigma Designs Inc.

Sonic Solutions

Sonopress

Sony BMG Music Entertainment

ST Microelectronics

Sunext

Taiyo Yuden Co., Ltd.,

Texas Instruments, Inc.

Universal Music Group

Victor Company of Japan, Ltd.

Visionare Corporation

Zentek Technology Japan, Inc.

ZOOtech Ltd.

Zoran Corporation

[edit] Members

The Blu Ray Association Website[5] describes Members as follows:

"General membership provides access to specific information from Committee discussions. A general member can attend general meetings and seminars. They can participate in specific Regional Promotion Team activities and specific CC activities. Annual fee: $3,000"

There are currently 94 members:

Alpine Electronics Inc.

Asahi Kasei Microsystems Co., Ltd.

ashampoo GmbH & Co. KG

Bandai Visual Co. Ltd.

BASF AG

Basler Vision Technologies

BenQ Corporation

B.H.A. Corporation

Bose Corporation

B&W Group

The Cannery

Cheertek Inc.

Cinram Manufacturing Inc.

D&M holdings, Inc.

Daewoo Electronics Corporation

Daikin Industries, Ltd.

Daxon Technology Inc.

Degussa

Eclipse Data Technologies

Elpida Memory, Inc.

ESS Technology Inc.

Expert Magnetics Corp.

Fujitsu Ten Ltd.

Funai Electric Co., Ltd.

GalleryPlayer Media Networks

Gear Software

Hie Electronics, Inc.

Hoei Sangyo Co., Ltd.

IMAGICA Corp.

INFODISC Technology Co., Ltd.

Infomedia Inc.

Intersil Corporation

Kadokawa Holdings Inc.

Kaleidescape, Inc.

Kitano Co., Ltd.

Konica Minolta Opto Inc.

Laser Pacific Media Corp.

Lauda Co. Ltd.

Lead Data Inc.

LEADER ELECTRONICS CORP

Lenovo

Linn Products Ltd.

LINTEC Corporation

M2 Engineering AB

MainConcept AG

Mitsumi Electric Co., Ltd.

Must Technology Co., Ltd.

MX Entertainment

Netflix Inc.

Newtech Infosystems Inc.

NEXAPM Systems Technology Inc.

Nichia Corporation

Nikkatsu Corporation

NTT Electronics Corporation

nVidia Corporation

OC Oerlikon Balzer AG

Omnibus Japan Inc.

Onkyo Corporation

Online Media Technologies Ltd.

Ono Sokki Co., Ltd.

OPT Corporation

Orbit Corp.

Origin Electric Co., Ltd.

Osmosys SA

Pinnacle Systems

PoINT Software & Systems GmbH

Pony Canyon Enterprise

PowerFile

Primera Technology, Inc.

Quanta Storage Inc.

Realtek Semiconductor Corp.

Rimage Corporation

Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd.

Dr. Schwab Inspection Technology GmbH

Shinano Kenshi Co. Ltd.

Singulus Technologies

STEAG ETA-OPTIK GmbH

Sumitomo Bakelite

Tao Group Limited

Targray Technology International Inc.

TEAC Corporation

Teijin Chemicals Ltd.

THX Ltd.

Toei Video Company Ltd.

Toho Company, Ltd.

Toppan Printing Co., Ltd.

TOPTICA Photonics AG

Trailer Park

UmeDisc Ltd.

Vivendi Universal Games

Yamaha Corporation

Yokogawa Electric Corporation

1K Studios, LLC

• Reply 772 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

We've been through this one. BR needed to be made much more robust and durable than HD-DVD because the information on the disc sits much closer to the surface.

Regardless if it NEEDED to be made such or not, in the END, it IS a "more robust and durable [disc] than HD DVD" just as you stated here.

So how was I misleading again? And how is it a wash? Get over it already, it is clear Blu-ray has the technical superiority, always has. It WAS clear HD DVD had a price advantage at one time, but even this is beginning to fade to obscurity given the advent of the PS3 and the economies of scale that again are in Blu-ray's favor.

Not cheerleading, simply stating the obvious.
  • Reply 773 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Not to shoot down someone who's jumping to my defense, but I thought playing regular DVDs was part of the Blu-ray spec.

It's not a required part of the spec, but all Blu-Ray players can play DVD, and CD. They can also record to DVD if the manufacturer decides to include that feature. It's expected that all PC Blu-Ray players will record DVD, CD, along with BD. Because if one manufacturer doesn't that will be the one manufacturer that isn't going to sell players. Nobody would be interested.

PC Drives...

Panasonic reads, and writes all formats.

Sony Reads, and writes all formats

BenQ reads, and writes all formats

Pioneer, and Plextor reads and writes BD, and DVD -- Dropped the ball on CD, but it is believed that a firmware update (pioneer) will correct it soon. I have no idea about Plextor.

Samsung reads, and writes BD, but only reads DVD, and CD.

Pioneer has been the drive manufacturer that Apple uses as Superdrive in the PowerMac since the first Superdrive. They may loose to Sony, or Panasonic if they don't update that firmware soon.
  • Reply 774 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Oh come on Marzetta. Cheerleading is one thing, misleading is another.

At the end of the day, it's a wash. And I doubt the extra "durability" will leave the discs any more resilient than we expect. I think we older folks all remember being told how "unscratchable" CDs were supposed to be.

You doubt? Tests prove you wrong.

Blu-ray withstands steel wool without a scratch. HD-DVD is useless after the same abuse.
  • Reply 775 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Pioneer has been the drive manufacturer that Apple uses as Superdrive in the PowerMac since the first Superdrive. They may loose to Sony, or Panasonic if they don't update that firmware soon.

Actually, Apple has used several manufacturers for Superdrives. My PowerMac G5, for instance, had an LG GWA-4082B. Interestingly, it was speced for 4x DVD burning yet later burned Taiyo Yuden discs at 8x. Can't imagine why, since I never updated the firmware.
  • Reply 776 of 4650
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Actually, Apple has used several manufacturers for Superdrives. My PowerMac G5, for instance, had an LG GWA-4082B. Interestingly, it was speced for 4x DVD burning yet later burned Taiyo Yuden discs at 8x. Can't imagine why, since I never updated the firmware.

Did you get it from Apple, or buy it used? Because that doesn't sound right. My G4 Superdrive is 16x (but original was 8x) and apple has gotten better superdrives from Pioneer every time. They have not gotten slower. I guarantee it.

Although they do use different ones for laptops, and iMacs, but the PowerMac has been dominated by Pioneer.
  • Reply 777 of 4650
    Quote:

Incorrect again. I'm going to regurgitate a post I made over at HighDefDigest, because it seems it may do you some good in terms of some facts in regards to the current predicament we are in with the format war...(note: this isn't directly pointed toward you Guartho, but I think it will give those who are under the misunderstanding that the DVD Forum truly chose HD DVD.)

*snip*

I remember reading about the vote process changing way back when.

Quote:

.(note: this isn't directly pointed toward you Guartho, but I think it will give those who are under the misunderstanding that the DVD Forum truly chose HD DVD.)

I'm glad you included that. I was getting pissed off while simultaneously reminding myself how stupid it is to get pissed off at random people on the internet. That extra sentence ended the self argument before I started hitting myself.
  • Reply 778 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Did you get it from Apple, or buy it used? Because that doesn't sound right. My G4 Superdrive is 16x (but original was 8x) and apple has gotten better superdrives from Pioneer every time. They have not gotten slower. I guarantee it.

Although they do use different ones for laptops, and iMacs, but the PowerMac has been dominated by Pioneer.

It was fresh from one of the major online Mac retailers. You're mistaken. The G4 did not come with 8x originally. Neither did first-generation G5s. See this page at Everymac. Also note that DVD burners often have differing read and write speeds.
  • Reply 779 of 4650
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

It was fresh from one of the major online Mac retailers. You're mistaken. The G4 did not come with 8x originally. Neither did first-generation G5s. See this page at Everymac. Also note that DVD burners often have differing read and write speeds.

Don't konw if this helps either of your arguments, but if memory serves me correct, the G4 733 was the first computer to have the Superdrive as BTO and was 2x burn speeds. Not sure on read. I'm sure Everymac.com will mention it.

Also, apple doesn't use Pioneer burner exclusively... at least not during the G5 days. Some of the Rev B's had Sony burners.
  • Reply 780 of 4650
    Quote:

Having stated this and providing proof for this fact, the question remains, why are we in this predicament? Well, if there is a good portion of blame to throw too, it is to the Toshiba clan who, when presenting the HD DVD format to the DVD Forum, could NOT get the necessary votes within the DVD Forum to get their format approved. So what happened? Well, the committee, changed the way votes were counted, so that abstained votes were not counted, since the majority of the steering committee were Blu-ray supporters (10 out of 17) and were not present.

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.a...D=6572&catID=4

If this is not dirty, I don't know what is, but the reality of the fact is that a format war was not upon us until Toshiba and Co. resorted to unethical tacticts to get their format approved by the DVD Forum.

So how is this unethical? Had the blu-ray supporters submitted their votes to not go with hd dvd, we would be in a different situation (just vote no!). Instead, the blu-ray guys were employing their own "unethical" tactics to stall for time. Everyone knew about the change in rules before the voting took place. Its not as if Toshiba rushed a secret meeting, changed all the rules, and pushed the format through. Toshiba couldn't change the voting rules on their own, they had to vote to change the rules. Where were the blu-ray supporters then?

The reason most of the blu-ay guys weren't there to begin with, and the reason for the rule change, is simple (and a matter of fact). Once Sony didn't get there way, and blu-ray was shot down by the dvd-forum for having an incomplete spec, they got their supporters to stop showing up for the votes on hd dvd to stall for time to complete their spec. They new hd dvd was going to be presented and be voted on, so they found a loop hole, and abused it for their advantage. Talk about unethical...