Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 801 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Perhaps, they're planning on a strong finish than a flashy entrance. Most of the BD goodies will be surfaced by summer and HD supposedly have 300+ titles to release through out this year, not to mention that 100 of them are HD-DVD exclusives from Universal. I'm hoping the HD-DVD release timing is strategic to avoid market slump. We'll see what happens in April and on...... I think it's going to roll starting with Matrix.

so.... when HD-DVD is "winning early on" ie last year, some people were trumpeting... now its apparently better if they hold off some titles....???

100 EXCLUSIVE HD-DVD releases.... how many BD exclusive then? more?? less??

i have a feeling it will be more.. by a margin of at least 2 or 3
  • Reply 802 of 4650
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

I haven't bought into BD yet, as I have 3 boys to attend to, with a baby girl on the way in July. Kinda puts a damper on the whole approaching the wife and saying I want to spend X amount of dollars on big boy toys, when there are diapers, clothes, baseball leagues, doctors appointments, and other payments and/or debts on the table that are much more crucial than admittedly the PS3

Maybe if you used some of the time it takes for you to be a BD shill to actually work, this wouldn't be an issue.
  • Reply 803 of 4650
    Good to see you in true form, wilco. Obviously you aren't married.
  • Reply 804 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Blu-ray is flexing it's content advantage.

I admit to being a bit nonplussed about why Universal/Warner/Paramount are being so slow with movie releases.

Maybe they are rethinking which format to support?

• Reply 805 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

Maybe if you used some of the time it takes for you to be a BD shill to actually work, this wouldn't be an issue.

And maybe if you don't assume things in other's personal life and actually contribute to the thread at hand you wont come across as nothing more than a troll. I've also read many a post by you wilco--who has about as many posts here as I do--yet you don't see me questioning your work ethic or the time to which you spend online here either. I do, however, question your purpose on this thread, as most, if not all, of your posts basically attempt to incite and foster contention on either side (as I've heard negative comments from you about both pro HD DVD and Blu-ray posters) without ever any mention of the subject at hand--simply backhanded comments. I believe I've spoken to you in this regard before, and it appears you need reminding. If you have nothing to contribute in terms of logical debate as it pertains to Blu-ray or HD DVD, I suggest you go elsewhere.

If you are looking for a fight, get off the computer and go jump into a boxing ring or join a fight club and get your face beat in rather than trolling with the "f'ing nerds" as you so eloquently label us. If you're not looking for a fight, then start contributing and stop trolling.
  • Reply 806 of 4650
    On another note...

Blu-ray Tips Scales

http://www.videostoremag.com/news/ht...ticle_id=10323

Quote:

The scales tipped in favor of Blu-ray Disc the week ended Feb. 18, according to preliminary data.

Since the inception of both formats, the Sony-backed Blu-ray disc has now sold more units than its Toshiba-backed HD DVD competitor, according to Nielsen VideoScan First Alert data.

Buoyed by a rush of titles this year, Blu-ray has racked up a slight lead in unit sales ? 100 units to every 98.71 units of HD DVD ? since the inception of both formats, according to First Alert data.

HD DVD had a headstart on Blu-ray sales because of its earlier launch. However, in late December, following the Nov. 17 launch of Sony?s Blu-ray-enabled PlayStation 3, the Blu-ray Disc began to catch up in unit sales, according to Nielsen VideoScan data.

Blu-ray has the advantage of more major studio support. All of the majors, save Universal Studios Home Entertainment, support the format. Buena Vista Home Entertainment, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, Lionsgate and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment exclusively support Blu-ray.

Ken Graffeo, the executive in charge of the HD DVD effort for Universal Studios Home Entertainment, said, ?Given that the life-to-date title sales ratios are close to 1:1, and given that Blu-ray has a 5:1 ratio right now on the hardware side due to the PS3, why aren?t Blu-ray software sales outpacing HD DVD by a similar ratio?

?In fact, HD DVD players continue to have an attach rate (life to date) that is more than five times that of Blu-ray players.?

Graffeo added Blu-ray has simply released more titles. Indeed, industry newsletter The DVD Release Report shows that, in 2006, there were 129 Blu-ray titles released to HD DVD?s 140. However, so far this year, through Feb. 16, the Blu-ray suppliers have released almost double the number of HD DVD titles. There have been 35 Blu-ray releases to 19 for HD DVD, many of which have been HD DVD/DVD combo discs.

Blu-ray backers have long listed studio support as a major advantage in the format war. At this year?s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, supporters predicted the format would take the lead in unit sales this year, and Buena Vista Home Entertainment president Bob Chapek announced, ?Game over.?

The confidence hasn?t wavered.

?We see that the consumer is voting with their dollars with a clear preference for Blu-ray,? Chapek said. ?This clear, objective measure shows the writing is on the wall.?

?Seeing HD DVD in our rear-view mirror is no surprise to us,? added David Bishop, worldwide home entertainment president, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. ?Blu-ray?s success is something that we have predicted since we first started promoting the new format. It has always been Sony?s position that there would be an inevitable migration from HD DVD to Blu-ray because of several factors, including the technical superiority of Blu-ray, the successful launch of PlayStation 3, the growing availability of BD playback machines and BD-enabled computers from the best consumer electronic brands in the world, as well as the growing number of hit titles being made available on the BD format.?

?As we noted at CES, the format war is in its final phase,? said Steven Feldstein, SVP of marketing communications at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment. ?It?s never been a question of if Blu-ray will pass HD DVD, but a matter of when.?

Meanwhile, an executive for Warner Home Video, which supports both Blu-ray and HD DVD, noted both formats were still in play.

?We?re not in this for winning or losing,? said Steve Nickerson, SVP of market management for Warner Home Video. ?Both formats are selling well on software.?

• Reply 807 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Maybe they are rethinking which format to support?

Quote:

In the most expansive release shake-up in the short history of both next-gen formats, Fox today announced that it will postpone a large chunk of its previously confirmed Blu-ray March and April title line-up.

<snip>

Given the number of titles affected, we contacted Fox Home Entertainment directly for comment on the extensive title shake-up. The studio assured that none of these titles have been cancelled, only been pushed back to yet-to-be-determined dates due to a general "release schedule shuffling," said Fox's senior VP of marketing communications Steve Feldstein.

Fox Reshuffles Line Up

MGM drops 4 titles as well

A little old on the news (Feb 12th) but I didn't see it mentioned here. Not sure that it means much, some speculated it has to do with the recent AACS keys being posted, and the wait for BD+. But who knows, Fox just says
  • Reply 808 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post

so.... when HD-DVD is "winning early on" ie last year, some people were trumpeting... now its apparently better if they hold off some titles....???

It's just like when last year when some wrote that Blu-ray discs would cost a lot more to produce, and consumers wouldn't stand for the price premium. Now that Blu-ray has undercut HD DVD disc prices, the same people say it shows HD DVD is better because people are willing to pay more for the same movie in that format. Talk about spin.

Quote:

We'll see what happens in April and on...... I think it's going to roll starting with Matrix.

I really hate to have to break it to you (again), but the Matrix films are not an HD DVD exclusive. Universal has already announced they will be coming on Blu-ray. They just haven't set the date yet. And if Blu-ray keeps moving ahead in terms of sales (regardless of how many players there are; the only thing that matters to the studios is how many discs they can sell), Universal may set that date soon.
  • Reply 809 of 4650
    One other bit of recent news:

Blu-Ray vs. HD DVD

Quote:

Our preliminary average results graph is above. It gives a slight edge to HD DVD in video and all extra disc content. But we ran these results by a statistics-savvy friend who further analyzed the data in terms of actual statistical significance (through one-way ANOVA, stats geeks). She deemed the video results to be too close to call, but simultaneously deemed the other averages as noteworthy. What's all that mean? We had to make a new graph.

Significant review averages tell us that Blu-ray titles were slightly, but definitely superior in audio playback. HD DVD titles had far superior standard def features and moderately superior hi def features.

But how could this be? Spec sheets claim the same audio codecs are supported on Blu-ray and HD DVD. Why would one format sound better? And why is HD DVD kicking major Blu-ray bonus content ass? ISN'T IT ALL IDENTICAL EXCEPT FOR THE BOX COLOR??

<snip>

Why HD DVD bonus features are winning:

The confusion is vexing with interactive features...the HD DVD group [made] support of the HDi authoring environment mandatory as part of their spec. That means that all HD DVD players bearing the logo must fully support the feature, which is why early HD DVD titles were so flush with cutting-edge features. Right now, HD DVD is leading in this regard...

Blu-ray is still rushing to catch up with its rival BD-Java tools. Though support will eventually come, and BD-J should deliver the same level of interactivity as HDi. But...until Blu-ray reaches parity, it will lag behind HD DVD, if only in regards to full-on, cutting-edge interactivity.

• Reply 810 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I really hate to have to break it to you (again), but the Matrix films are not an HD DVD exclusive. Universal has already announced they will be coming on Blu-ray. They just haven't set the date yet. And if Blu-ray keeps moving ahead in terms of sales (regardless of how many players there are; the only thing that matters to the studios is how many discs they can sell), Universal may set that date soon.

I am pretty sure that Warner Bros are the guys behind the Matrix, and they are not format neutral, so of course it will come out for both formats.
  • Reply 811 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

You're mis-quoting again. Maybe, you should read carefully prior to replying. No one said that Matrix will be HD-DVD exclusive, but it will probably show up in HD-DVD first untill BD-J issues are ironed out, within few months...or maybe even few years?.... Harry Potter will also show up on HD-DVD first... I actually have a UK copy of Harry Potter in HD-DVD. Either way, we'll see if all those PS3 buyers will keep buying BD movies.....
  • Reply 812 of 4650
    If they're not exclusive, they won't have much impact. Besides, considering how badly Revolutions did in the theaters (half of what Reloaded did and even less gross than the original, despite being a few years later with higher box office prices), I don't think there's a huge groundswell of demand for the Matrix movies.

Years to fix BD-J? I call bullshit. There isn't even any news on what "incredible extras" HDi will offer on the HD DVD version that the supposed lack of BD-J would force Warner to omit on Blu-ray.
  • Reply 813 of 4650
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

If they're not exclusive, they won't have much impact. Besides, considering how badly Revolutions did in the theaters (half of what Reloaded did and even less gross than the original, despite being a few years later with higher box office prices), I don't think there's a huge groundswell of demand for the Matrix movies.

it still did pretty well, the third film in trilogies dont always do the best (there are exceptions).

it is among the top 100 grossing films of all time and the boxsets did pretty decent to

stop being ignorant
  • Reply 814 of 4650
    Quote:

There isn't even any news on what "incredible extras" HDi will offer on the HD DVD version that the supposed lack of BD-J would force Warner to omit on Blu-ray.

Broken BD-J isn't forcing Warner to omit anything from BD version. Warner is just waiting for BD-J fix, hence the delay on BD version. There's still no word on when BD-J interactive feature will get fixed.... in the mean time, you can still play BD-Java games on the BD discs, though...
  • Reply 815 of 4650
    Quote:

Broken BD-J isn't forcing Warner to omit anything from BD version. Warner is just waiting for BD-J fix, hence the delay on BD version. There's still no word on when BD-J interactive feature will get fixed.... in the mean time, you can still play BD-Java games on the BD discs, though...

The point is there are no announced extras on the Matrix discs yet, so nobody can make assumptions as to what kind of advantage the HD DVD version may have. In fact, there's rampant speculation and accusations that Warner is holding back HD DVD releases until it can release the Blu-ray versions simultaneously. It that's true, that would wipe out the "oooh, the Matrix will come out for HD DVD first and give it a great advantage" argument.
  • Reply 816 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

. . . In fact, there's rampant speculation and accusations that Warner is holding back HD DVD releases until it can release the Blu-ray versions simultaneously.

Maybe Warner wants to compare market demand for these formats?

• Reply 817 of 4650
    Quote:

The point is there are no announced extras on the Matrix discs yet, so nobody can make assumptions as to what kind of advantage the HD DVD version may have. In fact, there's rampant speculation and accusations that Warner is holding back HD DVD releases until it can release the Blu-ray versions simultaneously. It that's true, that would wipe out the "oooh, the Matrix will come out for HD DVD first and give it a great advantage" argument.

Well... Batman Begins, V for V, Charlie & Chocolate Factor, Harry Potter, and etc. are all Warner titles with "in movie interactive experience" still remains to be HD-DVD exclusive. You're correct about speculation of Warner had been delaying title releases even on HD-DVD to promote co-release with BD. It is a speculation, but all the evidence does seem to support the speculation. However, Warner must be tired of waiting for BD-J fix and will just move along. The Matrix will be once announced as HD-DVD exclusive from Warner and it will continue as such with many more titles with in movie interactivity, as long as BD-J remains broken.
  • Reply 818 of 4650
    Quote:

Well... Batman Begins, V for V, Charlie & Chocolate Factor, Harry Potter, and etc. are all Warner titles with "in movie interactive experience" still remains to be HD-DVD exclusive. You're correct about speculation of Warner had been delaying title releases even on HD-DVD to promote co-release with BD. It is a speculation, but all the evidence does seem to support the speculation. However, Warner must be tired of waiting for BD-J fix and will just move along. The Matrix will be once announced as HD-DVD exclusive from Warner and it will continue as such with many more titles with in movie interactivity, as long as BD-J remains broken.

I'm just curious, where is your proof that BD-J is "broken" as you keep stating. BD-J may not be complete in its spec, but it is far from "broken" as there already current titles that have BD-J incorportated in them. I'm just simply asking that you refrain from the words "broken" and "fix" when you are speculating at best as to the current state of BD-J.
  • Reply 819 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

I'm just curious, where is your proof that BD-J is "broken" as you keep stating. BD-J may not be complete in its spec, but it is far from "broken" as there already current titles that have BD-J incorportated in them. I'm just simply asking that you refrain from the words "broken" and "fix" when you are speculating at best as to the current state of BD-J.

Well, if it's not working as it was intended, then it's broken until fixed to work as intended. Does it make any different to call this "incomplete" = not working = not fixed = still broken....
  • Reply 820 of 4650
    Quote:

Well, if it's not working as it was intended, then it's broken until fixed to work as intended. Does it make any different to call this "incomplete" = not working = not fixed = still broken....

How do you know it is not working as intended? Hmm? Speculating perhaps? Like I said earlier, BD-J is working on a number of films already, and the technical improvements will just get better with time. So, in essence, it does make a difference as BD-J capable movies are shipping now which = "working"