Apple's iMac overhaul tracking for mid-to-late summer

Comments

• Reply 21 of 171
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    So this article is hinting at a possible replacement for the Mini then?
  • Reply 22 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xflare View Post

So this article is hinting at a possible replacement for the Mini then?

Instead of a replacement to the mini (i.e., the "headless minitower"):

Maybe this is when the ultraportable with multitouch will be released. After the iPhone hubub and initial kinks are worked out (August).
  • Reply 23 of 171
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I REALLY hope there is a quad core version of the iMac offered. Maybe in the 24" version??? \ Especially since Leopard will have more multi-thread capabilities. I don't want to have to shell out the cash for a MacPro.

I think we will see a quad-core iMac after the Penryn (45nm) processors are available.
  • Reply 24 of 171
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by juggernaut30 View Post

I REALLY hope there is a quad core version of the iMac offered. Maybe in the 24" version??? \ Especially since Leopard will have more multi-thread capabilities. I don't want to have to shell out the cash for a MacPro.

I would not expect to see that until next year. Apple has stuck with the notebook chips, and I don't know when the next round of notebook chips will be available.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fraserdrew View Post

The new iMac nneds to have the following:

Higher Res Screens (possibly LED)

Higher res isn't totally necessary. It can be an option though, like on the 17" notebook. I don't see a higher res 24" coming though, that's already the max you can get without going dual link, and I don't know if there are any higher res screens in that size.

Quote:

Superdrives throughout (why do apple still ship combos?)

I guess they need something to help up-sell to the next model.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Can we say coolio?

I forgot about that one. What a joke that rumor was.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vtprinz View Post

Is the thickness all that different between 2.5" and 3.5" HDD's? If only a couple millimeters, I dont' see it being a necessary change just to make the enclosure thinner, as it's already, what, 2x or 2.5x thicker than a 3.5" HDD? (going off of memory here)

The thickest point on an iMac is 2". 3.5" hard drives are about 1" thick. Most current 2.5" notebook drives are 9mm thick. The difference is about 17mm and lead to a cooler system, because they take about a fifth of the power.
  • Reply 25 of 171
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) Santa Rosa

2) Dual HDD option for built in Time Machine support.

3) iSight camera with higher resolution

4) Still a chin on the new desgin but not so profound. More Cinema Display like, but thicker.

5) Anodized aluminum with iPod nano colours.
  • Reply 26 of 171
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM

Huh? What the what?
  • Reply 27 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

What about this "coolio" rumour?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The thickest point on an iMac is 2". 3.5" hard drives are about 1" thick. Most current 2.5" notebook drives are 9mm thick. The difference is about 17mm and lead to a cooler system, because they take about a fifth of the power.

That is a significant size difference but 3.5" HHDs still make the most sense in the desktop for multiple reason.
  • Reply 28 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism

What about this "coolio" rumour?

I don't get this either, I said coolio, meaning 'cool' This is funny!
  • Reply 29 of 171

Courtesy of John and Joel.
  • Reply 30 of 171
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Dropping the 17" model might be what allows Apple to eliminate the chin altogether. Separately, I can't imagine two HDDs in the iMac... just seems counter to the market and mission of the line.
  • Reply 31 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

IMAGES

Courtesy of John and Joel.

Those are really nice. I think the iPhone copy is the most realistic of the designs.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Separately, I can't imagine two HDDs in the iMac... just seems counter to the market and mission of the line.

I can, because Apple is pushing Time Machine and it requires two separate HDDs. The ease of use of Time Machine is very Apple-like, while the implementation of having a seperate external HDD hanging off your sleek, all-in-one computer with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard is not Apple-like. That is my reasoning, take it or leave it.
  • Reply 32 of 171
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    apple isn't making computers anymore.

they're making phones...

and dvd drives w/o dvd drives in them...

and apparently, car navigation.

i can't wait to buy my first iCamera
  • Reply 33 of 171
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

apple isn't making computers anymore.

they're making phones...

and dvd drives w/o dvd drives in them...

and apparently, car navigation.

i can't wait to buy my first iCamera

Idiot. Nice attempt, trying to be funny. Too bad your last line gave away that you haven't a clue what you're talking about.
  • Reply 34 of 171
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by apcpa2000 View Post

I can deal with the end of July. If this starts creeping to far into August, I will have wondered why I just didn't suck it up and buy one 3 weeks ago.

So, will this be like last year, when they updated the iMacs within the free iPod for education promo time period, but disqualified the new iMacs from the deal?? The time frame was a little different then, only a few weeks before the end of the promo, whereas here it might be a month or so, but still, there is a disturbing precedent....
  • Reply 35 of 171
    mmmpiemmmpie Posts: 628member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Those are really nice. I think the iPhone copy is the most realistic of the designs.

I can, because Apple is pushing Time Machine and it requires two separate HDDs. The ease of use of Time Machine is very Apple-like, while the implementation of having a seperate external HDD hanging off your sleek, all-in-one computer with a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard is not Apple-like. That is my reasoning, take it or leave it.

Quite true, quite true. Thats why Apple wants you to buy an airport basestation and plug the hard drive in there.

One of the values of backups is in having media that is distinct from the computer hardware. You know, so that when you send it away for repair you can keep the data. It would be nice to see a removable drive option, but that goes against the grain for an imac.

Best option? I want to see a slot to plug in an macbook battery. Built in UPS.
  • Reply 36 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mmmpie View Post

Quite true, quite true. Thats why Apple wants you to buy an airport basestation and plug the hard drive in there.

Excellent point, mmmpie.
  • Reply 37 of 171
    Quote:

Yeah cause they wont make money on that airport, or the potential notebooks they sell if someone buys one.
  • Reply 38 of 171
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Idiot. Nice attempt, trying to be funny. Too bad your last line gave away that you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

haha Did it really take you so long before noticing his irony Oh and by the by, does anyone have a clue what they're talking about?

I hope they redesign the Apple Remote (no irony involved here)! Something offering you a nano-esque user experience with click wheel!

Oh, and please get rid of this awkward linear Front Row user interface! We want Front Flow i/o Front Row!! Hmm, something like this would do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyd8O-2mkgk
  • Reply 39 of 171
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Quote:

So true. Steve Jobs really hates the look of wires/cables/etc. That's probably a key reason why the AirPort Extreme (n-version) lacks a gigabit Ethernet router. It's his way of telling us all to unplug.
  • Reply 40 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Oh, and please get rid of this awkward linear Front Row user interface! We want Front Flow i/o Front Row!! Hmm, something like this would do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyd8O-2mkgk

I like the current BackRow interface for AppleTV. It works.

Where I can see this CoreAnimation demo coming to fruition is with AppleTV IP streaming of TV from the internet. You can have hundreds of channels that can be searched for instantly by topic or title with the ease shown in the demo. I think it's a long way of, but the possibility is there. If Apple does decide to go this route I think we'll first see it in the form of iTunes movie trailers viewed from AppleTV.