Apple's iMac overhaul tracking for mid-to-late summer

Comments

• Reply 141 of 171
    sswiftsswift Posts: 13member
    Well, just to keep my name clean, I have never been trained by a "PC side mouse".

Never even used a "PC".

Remember that hockey puck of a mouse?

I think it came with my G3 Blue and White.

That cant be claimed to be ergonomic.

I'm a kinda big dude and that mouse was completely lost in my hand.

I had to pay 19.99 for some bondi blue plastic shell to clip onto it just so I could hang on to it.

Just think there is room for improvement in the mouse department.

Some of it is that mice are kind of a personal preference thing.

Thus Logitech, Kensington, Macally do a fine business.
  • Reply 142 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fletch View Post

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do you think Apple will consider a VGA port on the back of the new iMacs so people can play consoles on them?

i don't think that this is likely.
  • Reply 143 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by milimetersquared View Post

so, what are the odds of a refresh of the imac line between now and the redesign? if such a refresh were in order, when would it most likely happen?

slim to none

if apple was just merely going to update the specs to santa rosa, I am sure they would have done it by now, maybe the same time they did the MBP.
  • Reply 144 of 171
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superlatic_uk View Post

slim to none

if apple was just merely going to update the specs to santa rosa, I am sure they would have done it by now, maybe the same time they did the MBP.

I hope you're right but Apple doesn't often put the same technology in to the Pro lines and consumer lines on the same day.
  • Reply 145 of 171
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

I hope you're right but Apple doesn't often put the same technology in to the Pro lines and consumer lines on the same day.

MWSF '06. Besides, I'd put the MBP in more of the higher prosumer category.
  • Reply 146 of 171
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
  • Reply 147 of 171
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Witricity -

I'm not well read on this kind of technology but you'll not catch me sat between the source and destination with that much energy being transferred; too much would be attenuated and absorbed by the body - potentially causing harmful effects and degrading the performance of the system.
  • Reply 148 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercurious1 View Post

Then Bruce says:

"(as always, these are my opinions, and i encourage you all to register your considered opinions and wishes with Apple Feedback (and store staff) as I do. As I believe that Apple probably doesn't read the forums for their design and marketing direction -- but, I could be wrong!). :

For which I gasped:

ACK! I would caution anyone from registering an opinion with Apple Retail Store staff. Lest you give Ron Johnson another "idea" on how Apple will soon charge customers for registering their opinions with retail store staff.

Wow, thank you for the detailed reply.

And , ahh, cute on the don't tell staff, else they might charge us for it...

Kind of like the old joke about one diner saying to the other,

[CENTER]"Don't complain about the fly being in your soup or they might charge extra for the meat..."[/CENTER]

Though I stand by my belief that we need to virtually march (get it... ) on Apple and let them know what features, fixes, and fabulous machines we want and would like to be able to buy from Apple. Else how will they know what their loyal customer base wants?

{Steve Jobs, are you reading this? Let us know, give us a sign... )
  • Reply 149 of 171
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member

Wireless power transfer is not new. Years ago, I read about a farmer who lived near high voltage power transmission lines. He built a pickup in his attic, a 60 Hz resonant circuit if I'm not mistaken, and was siphoning off some power. Somehow, the company caught up with him.
  • Reply 150 of 171
    As long as its powerful, I will be happy. I would rather it have desktop components instead of laptop components.

I would be happy to see:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz /1066FSB

Up to 4GB DDR2 800

GeForce 8600 512MB

Up to 1TB 7200RPM SATA 2 HDD

20 & 24 Inch Screens
  • Reply 151 of 171
    ordering tomorrow

either dual 2.0ghz dual core xeon with 1gb ram, 250gb hard disk and nvidia 7300

OR

24 inch imac, 2GB Ram, 256mb NVidia 7600, 500GB Hard disk.

more likely the latter

although the ship time for imacs with 750GB HDD is 2-3 weeks, its gone back to 3 days for the 500GB drive, and once I read on here mid-late summer, thought to hell with waiting. May be paying a bit over the odds but on the plus side, wont have the teething problems that plagues new models like the screen probs with new MBP

still will have a mighty fine machine which will last me a fair while
  • Reply 152 of 171
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NarutoSasuke View Post

How many frames per second do you want this game to be? 135 fps? I've seen some games run on a MacBook Pro or iMac and do pretty well, just not cutting-edge.

This is a problem I see now that Macs are starting to be adopted by more people... former Windows users are comparing their Mac experience with their Windows gaming experience and are so used to building their own machines or dreaming of building their own machines and complain ALL the time and us pre-Intel Mac users have to hear it all over every forum.

FYI, I'm a lifelong Mac user. This is just the one complaint from the PC side that I believe they are absolutely right about. Either the computer must come with a good GPU, or the unit must allow the user to upgrade it themselves. Apple's only upgrade-the-graphics-card-yourself option is the prohibitively expensive Pro.

135fps is still pretty low, IMO. For a company that pushes the high-end on virtually all its products, I'm confused that Apple isn't leading the pack in terms of GPU specs. If there's one place where the rest of the industry SHOULD be playing catch-up to Apple, it's graphics capabilities.
  • Reply 153 of 171
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by USMC2Hard4U View Post

As long as its powerful, I will be happy. I would rather it have desktop components instead of laptop components.

I would be happy to see:

Up to 4GB DDR2 800

GeForce 8600 512MB

20 & 24 Inch Screens

Wouldn't fit in an all ine one. Too hot.
  • Reply 154 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Wireless power transfer is not new. Years ago, I read about a farmer who lived near high voltage power transmission lines. He built a pickup in his attic, a 60 Hz resonant circuit if I'm not mistaken, and was siphoning off some power. Somehow, the company caught up with him.

probably because he was glowing
  • Reply 155 of 171
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy View Post

Everyone seems to assume new iMacs will have a pedestal base just like the current iMacs. It could have a pedestal base that contains components, like hard drives.

Great! No head. The iMac flat on the desk and use your own display standing on top of it. The "lamp" was something like that. The iMac with a flip up lid for easy access and slots for two HDD's. That would take the place of the current iMac AND the Mini.
  • Reply 156 of 171
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Courtesy of John and Joel.

How did you get those pics into AI? Did you design them? If so, what did you do to upload them?
  • Reply 157 of 171
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lukechip View Post

I too am waiting - currently tolerating my 17" G4 on 10.3.9.

I'm waiting not just for the new design, but getting Penryn is just as important to me. People who buy into the new design in September will only be king of the hill for a few short months before these new CPUs appear. Hopefully Apple will move to Penryn quickly too. I'm hoping that the performance gain between Merom and Penryn will make this waiting worthwhile.

As a bonus, iLife 08 might be shipping too by then and/or some other iMac improvements (16x DVD or even Blu-Ray...). But Leopard + Penryn is what will make me open my wallet for the first time in 5 years.

I'm not so sure Penryn will make it into a desktop, let alone an iMac. Penryn is designed mainly for mobile use, concentration a majority of its efforts towards battery life conservation. I see limited use for it being in an iMac.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by milimetersquared View Post

so, what are the odds of a refresh of the imac line between now and the redesign? if such a refresh were in order, when would it most likely happen?

The current iMacs will be pdated with a very slight bump, while the new redesign will coexist with the current iMacs as the iMac Pro (or something along those lines), which will have specs closer to the MBP/Mac Pro. That's my prediction, anyhow.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by USMC2Hard4U View Post

I would be happy to see:

Up to 4GB DDR2 800

GeForce 8600 512MB

20 & 24 Inch Screens

I doubt they'll move to a TB drive yet, but I suppose it's possible for a BTO option, and the FSB could only be that high with, as you said, desktop parts, and it probably won't start out with 4GB of RAM. Apple wants you to upgrade to fetch some extra $. Otherwise, this could realistically be the specs for the redesign, iMac Pro. They have reportedly been designing it like the pro machines, so I think they'd be able to get it cooled down enough.
  • Reply 158 of 171
    I saw this posted earlier in the thread, it looks photoshoped, but. what. if?!!!

Thunk DIfferent.

• Reply 159 of 171
    It won't. Don't hold your breath.

Multi-touch isn't ready for dektops (let alone notebooks). It's only been developed for protables so far (i.e. iPhone, soon iPod too), not to mention that the OS itself and every program out there would have to be redeveloped to take advantage of Multi-touch. Perhaps in 2 years or so it'll be ready. But their work would be far from done.

btw, the Surface isn't even a competitor; it's still experimental, 10 years off, aimed for businesses, and costs as much as some nice used cars.
  • Reply 160 of 171
    Personally I'd love to see a faster graphics card for gaming. My PC has a Radeon x1900 which is the only reason it hasn't been kicked to the curb yet. Throw a good graphics card in the new iMac's and I'm sold. Like the GeForce 8700M GT, which should be at least 2x as fast. Of course, I'd love to see an even better card, but I'm not betting on it.