Next-gen iMacs to bundle new Apple keyboard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 185
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G_Warren View Post

Sounds good, hopefully it will be bluetooth by default, saving me from having to pay extra to upgrade. New iMac, new keyboard, new Leopard and new iLife (although that is less exciting since I plan on moving to Aperture). Bring it on!

A bluetooth keyboard (at least one without a USB version for backup) is a horrible idea. I can't tell you how many times I've dealt with people who can't even boot from a CD or reset their PRAM because they have a wireless keyboard that doesn't activate until the OS boots.
  • Reply 22 of 185
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

None of you people have dependents, do you?

If you love Apple...
  • Reply 23 of 185
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    Probably mid, or late, next week.[/QUOTE]

Thanks,

but as I do shift work in a hospital, I was wondering about the exact date so I can arrange to get the evening (I'm in Berlin) free. The sooner I get it, the easier it is to swop duties.
  • Reply 24 of 185
    joeyyyjoeyyy Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

Does anybody know date this month for the June quarter results?

July 25

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/earningsq207/
  • Reply 25 of 185
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 26 of 185
    wealjayswealjays Posts: 37member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post

I don't consider myself rich in any way, but it always puzzles me that some people can't seem to afford even a $999 computer, or barely afford it. Get a better job or work harder!

Stop being lazy. If you weren't so lazy, you'd have more money.

RobinHood,

I have two words to describe you: "Big" "Schmuk"

Go buy your cat some gourmet cat food and live your alone depressing life.

Forget about the fact that some people are in hard times, struggle to make a living, have a lot of children (how dare they care about something that matters! ), have more important things to do with their money, etc.

Yes, just work harder.

You are obviously not a G-d fearing man, have no friends, and are a stuck up, insensitive bastard.
  • Reply 27 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Even if this a smidgen better than the current mushy models, it will be an improvement.

For what it's worth, the current keyboards are actually quite nice. At work I'm still using the black and green model from a Powermac G3. Now THOSE were horrible. The command key squeaks every time I press it, and almost every key sticks. It's bad.

Improvments are always great, and I'd love a slimline keyboard to use with my MBP, but let's not always complain about everything.
  • Reply 28 of 185
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

When they arrive later this month or early next, the new iMacs should help maintain the flow of foot traffic at Apple's international retail chain...

"international" LOL

When companies have international retail chains, that usually implies a number of international countries, not just a few. Currently Apple's in Italy, England, Japan, Canada and the U.S., international may technically mean two or more countries, but not in my book if were talking international retail chains. Don't ask me what the heck is keeping Apple. You guys can say what you want, but it's inexcusable, and it's a joke.
  • Reply 29 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Even if this a smidgen better than the current mushy models, it will be an improvement.

I happen to like the current "mushy" model, as you put it. I find it very comfortable. I didn't find the MacBook keyboard to be as comfortable, and I didn't like the tactile feedback. Too "clicky" for my taste. But hey, the majority rules, and I'm clearly not in the majority.

GTSC
  • Reply 30 of 185
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree. Give me a keyboard that feels like an old IBM Selectric and you've got a winner. Modern keyboards are too soft, or squishy... it's like the difference between playing a USB 44-key keyboard (non-weighted) and playing a real piano.

While I love a nice, clicky, old-school keyboard, I've found that I type more quickly on a quality low-profile design. I even use one on my home PC. I had been planning on dragging that keyboard to my new iMac when I picked one up, but if they're going to be providing a redesigned keyboard as well, then that's just a slice of fried gold.

I understand that different people like/prefer different designs, but I honestly don't think it would take much to improve on the awful, mushy current design. I HATE using our family's iMac because of it.
  • Reply 31 of 185
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealjays View Post

RobinHood,

I have two words to describe you: "Big" "Schmuk"

Go buy your cat some gourmet cat food and live your alone depressing life.

Forget about the fact that some people are in hard times, struggle to make a living, have a lot of children (how dare they care about something that matters! ), have more important things to do with their money, etc.

Yes, just work harder.

You are obviously not a G-d fearing man, have no friends, and are a stuck up, insensitive bastard.

This is the best argument yet for a Libertarian system of government.
  • Reply 32 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

This is great news. *prepares for the thread link to go red in color*

Ha!
  • Reply 33 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Able-X View Post

I'd just be happy to have a mac keyboard that doesn't show gunk and dirt the way the current one does. The white look is nice, until it gets dirty.

Yep. My white keyboard here at work is pretty nasty.( I know, so clean it.) Here's hoping the new one is black or some variation of.

And a full size keyboard please. No regressing to the iMac G3 era keyboards that came with the hockey pucks.
  • Reply 34 of 185
    dreamrajdreamraj Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Charko View Post

Does anybody know date this month for the June quarter results?

July 25th. Buy AAPL shares now because it is expected that Apple will blow the numbers away beating Wall Street expectations again. Stock price could reach the $145-$150 range.
  • Reply 35 of 185
    Quote:

I don't consider myself rich in any way, but it always puzzles me that some people can't seem to afford even a $999 computer, or barely afford it. Get a better job or work harder!

That's easy to say when you steal all your money
  • Reply 36 of 185
    The cat food line was a classic! The guy he's replying to is a fist class A-hole.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This is the best argument yet for a Libertarian system of government.

• Reply 37 of 185
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamraj View Post

July 25th. Buy AAPL shares now because it is expected that Apple will blow the numbers away beating Wall Street expectations again. Stock price could reach the $145-$150 range.

I don't think so. Expect a brief run up and a dip after results, no matter how good they are.
  • Reply 38 of 185
    Quote:

I don't think the issue is laziness. For most people, the issue is one of three things:

1. They have made the choice to spend money on other things (children, being the primary example) that they consider to be much more important. However, if you have chosen to spend money on other things that you consider much more important, stop complaining that you can't afford something else you want. Children can be a wonderful gift, but it's not Apple's fault you decided to breed.

2. They don't budget money very well, don't keep track of very small expenses that add up over time, then complain when they don't have anything left over to spend. Your lack of budgetary skill is not Apple's problem.

3. They expect something for nothing. A Corvette costs as much as a Corvette because it's a Corvette. It's not a Monte Carlo. Yes, both cars are Chevys, both are "sporty," and both share some similar components... but they're completely different cars in terms of their user experience. So, for you to complain that a Corvette is not priced at the same level as a Monte Carlo (or even worse... an Aveo!) is being, well... stupid. And Apple isn't obligated to listen to stupid people.

GTSC
  • Reply 39 of 185
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    I am glad to hear that Apple will upgrade the keyboard as well as the iMac. But, I hope that the upgrade is more than cosmetic and key feel.

I would like to see the considerable skills of Ives and Apple design an ergonomic keyboard for the iMac and the Mac Pro. There is a great need for an ergonomic keyboard that comes with the all desktop macs and not at additional cost. I am not expecting them to include something like the high end ergonomic keyboards, such as those from: Kinesis http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/ , Maltron http://www.maltron.com/ , Safetype http://www.safetype.com/ , that would be overkill and an added expense that most people don't need.

This could also be a good selling point when people compare Apple's to Dells and H-P's.

If they can't actually see their way to designing an ergonomic keyboard perhaps they could work with the ergonomic keyboard companies to make sure that they make a keyboard that is designed for the Mac OS X rather than just an afterthought with some keyboard mapping. And sell them thru the Apple store.
  • Reply 40 of 185
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"international" LOL

When companies have international retail chains, that usually implies a number of international countries, not just a few. Currently Apple's in Italy, England, Japan, Canada and the U.S., international may technically mean two or more countries, but not in my book if were talking international retail chains. Don't ask me what the heck is keeping Apple. You guys can say what you want, but it's inexcusable, and it's a joke.

Well 5 is certainly larger than two countries. When they add Germany and Australia that will be two more and I would expect one in France soon enough. More than 20% are located outside the US. I was recently in the Regent Street one in London. That was my geek moment for my trip.

Geez, run over to Cork and yell at them for a while. Maybe they'll open one there...

Vinea