Next-gen iMacs to bundle new Apple keyboard

Comments

• Reply 41 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It baffles me too, but "some people" have priorities beyond computers (if you can believe that ).

Then those 'some people' can go get a crappy pc since they don't value their computing experience highly enough to buy something quality (this excludes underprivileged* people, and is solely centered at people who can afford it but complain about the price).

underprivileged is the politically correct term for poor these days, isn't it?
  • Reply 42 of 185
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So, if, as rumored, Apple drops the Mini and the entry level iMac, that would mean Apple isn't selling any computers for less than, say, $1,500 (assuming they hold the line on the price of the base 20" iMac).

Which I guess makes the iPhone the entry level Mac?

I dunno, I really can't see it. I know Apple is going for the premium segment and all, but downward trends in average desktop prices mean that price structure would be even further out of sync with the rest of the industry than it would have been previously, when Apple had $600 and $1000 machines.

Maybe the base 20" goes down to $1200, but that still seems like a lot of air between Apple's cheapest and the next guy's "pretty good".

A year or two ago a line-up that started at $1200 might have just barely been passible but surely Apple isn't going to stand pat on the sluggish growth in its desktop market-share (compared to its robust growth in the laptop segment) and expect spiffy, new, expensive iMacs to carry the burden of selling lots more desktops?

Or maybe they really don't think there's much future in the desktop so they'll just go with really, really stylin', relatively expensive entries in that market and look to notebook sales to continue to drive growth.

Which, of course, just moves the problem to another arena, as average notebook prices continue to fall and Apple holds the line on pricing.

Apple makes great machines and a great OS and to a certain extant they can use that to sway switchers even if there are cheaper PC alternatives. But I think that only works within a certain range of disparity. $1000 vs. $1200, I think they can make their case. But $600 vs. $1200? Pretty tough case to make.

Anyway, having said all that, I still don't think Apple is going to just abandon the sub $1000 desktop market entirely. Maybe something that splits the difference between the 17" iMac and Mini which becomes the new education machine?
  • Reply 43 of 185
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    I want to see a backlit Apple desktop keyboard.
  • Reply 44 of 185
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Backlit would be good.
  • Reply 45 of 185
    Quote:

I love you.
  • Reply 46 of 185
    Why is it that the USB ports on Mac keyboards are only USB 1? I'd like to connect a USB flash drive or digital camera to the keyboard and have them run at USB 2.0 speed.
  • Reply 47 of 185
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Backlit would be good.

Yeah. I'm using an Auravision Eluminix on my desktop PC (very good keyboard, btw) and I think a version of that with the MacBook layout would be totally rockin'.
  • Reply 48 of 185
    Why is it that the USB ports on Mac keyboards are only USB 1? I'd like to connect a USB flash drive or digital camera to the keyboard and have them run at USB 2.0 speed.
  • Reply 49 of 185
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

"international" LOL

When companies have international retail chains, that usually implies a number of international countries, not just a few. Currently Apple's in Italy, England, Japan, Canada and the U.S., international may technically mean two or more countries, but not in my book if were talking international retail chains. Don't ask me what the heck is keeping Apple. You guys can say what you want, but it's inexcusable, and it's a joke.

From Apple: US\t Danmark\tIreland\tNew Zealand\tSouth Korea

Australia\tDeutschland\tItalia\tNorge\tSuisse

België\tEspaña\tJapan\tÖsterreich\tSuomi

Belgique\tFrance\tLuxembourg\tSchweiz\tSverige

Canada\tHong Kong\tNederland\tSingapore\tUK
  • Reply 50 of 185
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

I'd like the apple logo to be backlit and also a bright blue LED that shines in your face showing that the computer is on. Also, a green one when there's a disk activity. And hey, how about a "Turbo" key!
  • Reply 51 of 185
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

underprivileged is the politically correct term for poor these days, isn't it?

I think it is the financially impaired \ I hate PC bugs the shit out of me.
  • Reply 52 of 185
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreamraj View Post

July 25th. Buy AAPL shares now because it is expected that Apple will blow the numbers away beating Wall Street expectations again. Stock price could reach the $145-$150 range.

Thanks! That's a help.
  • Reply 53 of 185
    visionaryvisionary Posts: 118member
    I am amazed at all the people who are complaining about the past Apple keyboards. Not that people don't like them but the reasons why they don't like them. My biggest complaint is the number pad to the right. It forces me to put my mouse way to the right beyond what is ergonomically correct. Either that or I have to shift the center of keyboard way to the left.

Also, the last couple of keyboards match the white iMacs but not the PowerMacs and Mac Pros. Why didn't Apple do a brushed aluminum version? I think these two things are HUGE design flaws. Doesn't everybody see this?

What I want is a brushed aluminum design with the keys that light up in dark like the MacBook Pros. I also think the new iMacs should be brushed metal so the whole Apple line looks that way. In fact, I think Apple should move the MacBooks to that look also. But at least the desktop line should all be the metal look and the keyboard should finally match.

As for the number pad, have it detachable and able to be put on the left or right or even on the end of a USB cord so you can position it wherever you want - be it the traditional placement or somewhere else. As somebody who has carpal tunnel syndrom in their mouse hand, I can't tell you enough how the current numeric pad causes pain and problems. I have to get a special keyboard without the numeric pad so help relieve the problem.

I hate to even suggest it but I bet people could sue the computer companies for this flaw. It is that bad of a design. Remember the numeric pad predates the invention and use of the mouse. Now that everything is so mouse input heavy, it is way past time to change the traditional design. I think if Apple created a keyboard and mouse system to limit carpal tunnel damage, and marketed this fact, they would protect themselves legally and also in one more way position themselves as the industry leader. You know all the other computer manufacturers would have to follow or risk being sued.

I also think Apple could create different pods like a modular numeric keypad to handle audio and video functions. See this link for an example.

http://www.frontierdesign.com/Products/AlphaTrack

I also would like to see Apple standardize command key functions beyond undo, cut, copy, paste. There are many functions, especially transport controls and media controls that now are accessed quite frequently. I would like top see these listed on the front of the keys.

Apple should have an Apple command key for all system key commands and then have a Application command key for all application custom commands. Thus once a user learns an Apple key command, they know it works in every program where it is applicable. Currently, the shift, control, alt commands seem arbitrary and differ from app to app for many of the same tasks. This can be fixed.

I also wonder how many people use the function keys. I think they ought to be removed from most keyboards, thus saving space. Instead of these function keys, I would just use a Fn key and have F1-F12 on the front of the top numeric row on the keyboard.

I also would like to see the keyboard as small as possible so I can fit other input devices close to the keyboard. Or at least I can put papers, books, and other things closer and within reach. Just as CRTs hog desktop real estate and LCDs free up lots of space, so to keyboards need to play nice with others.

Ideally the new keyboard - and mouse - should come with a wireless version so I do not have to have a few more cords lying on and under the desk. That is so not elegant.

So I too have complaints about the current crop of keyboards and hope Apple leads the way to a better input experience.
  • Reply 54 of 185
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealjays View Post

RobinHood,

I have two words to describe you: "Big" "Schmuk"

Go buy your cat some gourmet cat food and live your alone depressing life.

Forget about the fact that some people are in hard times, struggle to make a living, have a lot of children (how dare they care about something that matters! ), have more important things to do with their money, etc.

Yes, just work harder.

You are obviously not a G-d fearing man, have no friends, and are a stuck up, insensitive bastard.

sorry dude, but although you may very well be a hard working family man, with six kids to feed, that is something that was your choice in life and you should not be pointing fingers at those who decided to wear condoms or other contraceptive methods. also, bringing the big G into the argument was entirely unecessary. if you think apple is too expensive you can go and buy Dell for your computing needs... this is like if i were here complaining mercedes sells their cars for too much money and i can't afford it but it's not my fault. i drive a ford focus because that's what i could afford. i use macs because i can afford them, if you can't, stick with a Dell for $399 (tower+monitor+keyboard+mouse) and quit complaning on how you can't afford things because of your dependents, financial struggles or other things you might consider more important than computers...
  • Reply 55 of 185
    ijayijay Posts: 57member
    Quote:

i think it's because the ports on the back of the computers are 2.0 and then you have to share that speed with the keyboard and the two ports on it, making it impossible to have the same speed as the original port on the computer... does that make sense?
  • Reply 56 of 185
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealjays View Post

RobinHood,

I have two words to describe you: "Big" "Schmuk"

Go buy your cat some gourmet cat food and live your alone depressing life.

Forget about the fact that some people are in hard times, struggle to make a living, have a lot of children (how dare they care about something that matters! ), have more important things to do with their money, etc.

Yes, just work harder.

You are obviously not a G-d fearing man, have no friends, and are a stuck up, insensitive bastard.

While I agree with you that RobinHood's post was a bit insensitive, don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to portray yourself as a believer in God in the same breath that you call someone a bastard? What is so admirabel abut "fearing" God? More people have died in this world due to misplaced agression out of fear of God than for any other reason.

As for the new iMac... bring it on! I love the current one but a design change is always welcome
  • Reply 57 of 185
    charlesscharless Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iJay View Post

sorry dude, but although you may very well be a hard working family man, with six kids to feed, that is something that was your choice in life and you should not be pointing fingers at those who decided to wear condoms or other contraceptive methods. also, bringing the big G into the argument was entirely unecessary. if you think apple is too expensive you can go and buy Dell for your computing needs... this is like if i were here complaining mercedes sells their cars for too much money and i can't afford it but it's not my fault. i drive a ford focus because that's what i could afford. i use macs because i can afford them, if you can't, stick with a Dell for $399 (tower+monitor+keyboard+mouse) and quit complaning on how you can't afford things because of your dependents, financial struggles or other things you might consider more important than computers...

Sure, he can do that.

And so can millions of other non-rich people. All of which are lost business for Apple - customers that might have bought a mini or a low-end iMac, but now they're buying Dells. And thus, Apple loses money and marketshare.

Now do you see the problem?
  • Reply 58 of 185
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    The keyboard has been seriously neglected, and I welcome an update. A MacBook style keyboard comes off a bit juvenile looking...but it's progress, I guess.

I just don't think Apple's sights should be set on people who want to spend $500-$999 for a computer. $1000-1250 is a great price for an iMac, and their continued success proves that point. Mac minis are not flying off the shelves...they never did. I bought someone else one and was thoroughly unimpressed by it.

Let's have the folowing:

Backlit

USB 2.0

Wireless Option
  • Reply 59 of 185
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by visionary View Post

I\\

Also, the last couple of keyboards match the white iMacs but not the PowerMacs and Mac Pros. Why didn't Apple do a brushed aluminum version? I think these two things are HUGE design flaws. Doesn't everybody see this?

What I want is a brushed aluminum design with the keys that light up in dark like the MacBook Pros. I also think the new iMacs should be brushed metal so the whole Apple line looks that way. In fact, I think Apple should move the MacBooks to that look also. But at least the desktop line should all be the metal look and the keyboard should finally match.

\\

Yeah, I've been harping on this issue since the Alumimum G4 Powerbooks came out. These are really sweet keyboards and I've never known why Apple hasn't acted sooner giving the MacPro's a real pro keyboard.

Perhaps the time has finally come. It could very well be a white/black MB style keyboard for the iMac and an aluminum MBP style keyboard for the Mac Pros.
  • Reply 60 of 185
    kd86kd86 Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post

Sure, he can do that.

And so can millions of other non-rich people. All of which are lost business for Apple - customers that might have bought a mini or a low-end iMac, but now they're buying Dells. And thus, Apple loses money and marketshare.

Now do you see the problem?

Apple has been allegedly "ignoring" these customers for years and for years everyone has been saying that it would hurt their market share and profits. Um... have you seen what that stock has done in the last few years? Have you seen their quarterly earnings reports? Apple is doing just fine so they must be doing something right whether we agree with their strategy or not. Apple is run by very capable people... how silly to think that they have missed something or don't understand something so obvious. Obviously they do, and so does Steve. How else did he manage to get Apple out of near-collapse and failure? Certainly not by selling entry level, stripped down $299 systems with no profit margin for the sake of having a meaningless high marketshare.