Briefly: Sony boss calls Jobs "greedy," Vodafone on 3G iPhone, Apple Tech Talks

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sony's chief has accused Apple, Inc. head Steve Jobs of wanting absolute control over the market. Also, Vodafone said it would warm up to the iPhone under the right conditions, and Apple hoped to inspire its phone's young development community.

Sony exec: Apple's Jobs "greedy"

Although he is the head of a multinational company with influence in virtually every aspect of home electronics and media, Sony head Sir Howard Stringer was reportedly undeterred from accusing Apple's leader Steve Jobs of only caring about his and Apple's wealth at a recent Allen & Co. media conference.

Speaking as part of a panel which counted Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and Google co-founder Sergey Brin among its ranks, Stringer is said to have characterized Jobs as a "greedy" hypocrite who would accuse music labels of only being interested in money while wanting to funnel money only to himself. The introduction of the iPhone was part of this approach, Stringer argued.

InterActiveCorp head Barry Diller allegedly brought the discussion to a halt to draw attention to the bold statement but only received a 'diplomatic' response from the Sony executive, who retreated from the statement.

Vodafone eager for 3G iPhone

Ending his company's largely silent approach to speculation over the choice of an iPhone carrier for Europe, Vodafone chief Arun Sarin on Thursday said that the iPhone's wireless Internet speed was an important factor in deciding whether or not to pick up the phone for its networks.

Including some form of cellular Internet faster than EDGE, such as Europe's UMTS or the international HSDPA standard, was important to pleasing a European audience, according to Sarun. 3G wireless is typically much more popular in the region and is known to be in the works for an eventual refresh of the iPhone.

"It's clearly a good, software-driven device, but we're concerned about wideband area coverage so that 3G or HSDPA connectivity with the iPhone is something that we look forward to," Sarun said.

The cellular provider head would not be drawn into confirming or denying that Vodafone would be selected for iPhone service in some European countries, but noted that nearly every major player in the continent was 'having a conversation' with Apple about possible deals.

Apple to host Tech Talks for iPhone devlopers

Roughly a week after the unofficial iPhoneDevCamp took place in San Francisco, Apple itself has announced a series of iPhone Tech Talks to take place in major US cities.

The month of August will see Apple host one-day events in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco that mix official seminars and demos with a loosely structured 3-hour programming session. Basic site compatibility, Web 2.0 apps, and handling content will form the heart of company-run discussions, the company said.

Anyone with a free ADC online membership or better is welcome to attend simply by signing up through the Tech Talk page and needs only to bring the bare essentials to the events, which begin with a Los Angeles gathering on August 2nd.

"Bring your notebook, your code, and your iPhone," Apple said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 123
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Steve: Howard, prepare to meet my multi-touch deathgrip!
  • Reply 2 of 123
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1114214]Sony's chief has accused Apple, Inc. head Steve Jobs of wanting absolute control over the market.

What a hoot! As if Sony would not like to be in the same position with new stunning products. They, after all can equally be called greedy with their record label/CD pricing, especially here in UK, where prices are purposely inflated, compared to other markets.

With the iPhones introduction, Sony obviously feel (and justifiably so) threatened, but instead of complimenting the design as some other competitors have, he feels he can only slam it, because they would like absolute control themselves if they were in the same position. Sony have been known to design products that lock you in, so that they control the market.

Now it's their turn to feel the heat! Good job too.
  • Reply 3 of 123
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    what, steve and apple greedy? is that like making good products? is that like sony used to have in the 80s?

Sony is the only computer manufacturer I know of with higher prices than apple.
  • Reply 4 of 123
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Stringer is probably about to go on the chopping block. Expect a Japanese replacement soon.
  • Reply 5 of 123
    phizzphizz Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... wanting to funnel money only to himself. The introduction of the iPhone was part of this approach, Stringer argued.

So Apple released the iPhone to make money?? Greedy b*******!!

Sounds like a bit of schoolyard moaning from Sony because they've lost some of their control. Good, I'm routing for the minor labels anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 123
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    oh, Sony is just jelous because Apple is smart and will not let anyone controll over their products
  • Reply 7 of 123
    Steve greedy? You don't say. Is he alone? I don't think so.

When it comes to business, the moral high ground is built on layers and layers of hypocrisy.

No matter the high sounding rhetoric disguising base goals, business (yea, capitalism) is based on greed... on selling for a dollar what you make for a nickel. It is this hidden hand of enlightened self-interest (greed) that produces standout products like the iPhone.

I like it. I guess you could say I am greedy for it. Now can I get it cheaper?
  • Reply 8 of 123
    mr.scottmr.scott Posts: 124member
    Every heard of the PS3? With it's price tag it has greed written all over it...

Learn to lose with pride there Sony.
  • Reply 9 of 123
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr.Scott View Post

That's about the worst example you could have picked as Sony is taking significant loss on each one sold.

Stringer is nothing compared to the more entertaining executives at Sony. I thought the way SCEE president recently pissed in SCEA's pool with the comments on the price cuts and the 80GB PS3 was especially grand. More lulz will follow as soon as the 80GB comes in Europe and SCEE jumps in the same pool.
  • Reply 10 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

PS3's price point is the same as that of a low end mini. The PS3 is a far better machine on most points.
  • Reply 11 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

PS3's price point is the same as that of a low end mini. The PS3 is a far better machine on most points.

Not for the price in my opinion. Spend that money on a iPhone or PS3... I'd put in on a iPhone. it fits in your pocket better!
  • Reply 12 of 123
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:

Not for the price in my opinion. Spend that money on a iPhone or PS3... I'd put in on a iPhone. it fits in your pocket better!

Yeah, sure.
  • Reply 13 of 123
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

and Sony even encourages you to install Linux on it.
  • Reply 14 of 123
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

That's about the worst example you could have picked as Sony is taking significant loss on each one sold.

Stringer is nothing compared to the more entertaining executives at Sony. I thought the way SCEE president recently pissed in SCEA's pool with the comments on the price cuts and the 80GB PS3 was especially grand. More lulz will follow as soon as the 80GB comes in Europe and SCEE jumps in the same pool.

Maybe, but the iPhone has put Apple in the black right off the bat. The PS3 is a great product, but one that has put SCEA in the red from the get go. Whose camp has the happier camper?
  • Reply 15 of 123
    SHS accuses Steve Jobs of being Greedy - let's look at the facts

It was the Sony BMG Merger that encoded CD's that contained spyware/malware/bsware - Not Apple and Jobs

It was Sony who accused The artist formerly known as prince as stealing from them by including a CD of his in Sunday British Papers

It is sony that has closed their systems off to the world for so long

memory stick

memory stick pro

UMD

the minidisc (which was different from the UMD)

their laptops finally accept SD

sony plays station memory cards

the betamax (yes superior - but how many of us own one)

It was sony who disclaimed the price cuts on the PS3...only to announce them several days later.

and on and on.....Sony hasn't created something unique since the walkman or something cool (since the PS2)

I own a mac, Iphone, Ipod, Xbox, xbox360, wii and dslite......the last sony product I owned (and still own) was the ps2.....I will NEVER by their restrictive crap

Sir Howard....its all about the facts!
  • Reply 16 of 123
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Wow. That's a bit rich Howard from the Valleys! Sounds a little pressured. The Japs must be starting to lose patience with the gaijin
  • Reply 17 of 123
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    Quote:

Although a corporate exec calling another corporate exec greedy is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black, I have to object to your comment regarding the PS3.

I am the proud new owner of a PS3 and I have to say it's an incredible machine for $499 now (or even the previous $599).

For that price tag you get:

Blu-Ray Player (in fact, one of the best on the market)

All the functionality of an Apple TV (music and video streaming, photos, etc.)

More functionality than an Apple TV:

Support for USB storage devices

Internet browsing (with Flash even, what a novel concept)

Gigabit ethernet port

Linux computer (if you feel like installing it)

And it plays games too.

For a mere $200 more than the basic AppleTV, you get a heck of a lot more.
  • Reply 18 of 123
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    Remember back in fifth grade when the boy who Susie complained about incessantly was really the one she had a major crush on?

This is just the start of a long, meandering dance that will eventually end up with Apple taking over most of Sony's consumer electronics business. I give it 10 to 15 years until consummation. Earlier if Sony agrees to elope.
  • Reply 19 of 123
    citycity Posts: 522member
    How could Sir Howard Stringer say something so stupid and be head of Sony. When Play Station had the market and about half the sales at Toys R Us the games seemed very expensive. Also their Walkmen and TVs were more expensive. They were king and deserving. Was that greed? Seems to that risk, a good product and good marketing should be rewarded.
  • Reply 20 of 123
    but it was late to market giving microsoft a huge advantage with an inferior product.

the key is sony was late to market and is losing money on each console. the only saving grace is that Microsoft had a large failure rate with the 360.

oh and thank god they stayed with blu ray b/c no one even knows what hd/dvd is!

he has no business calling jobs greedy when the record companies (sony included) consistently threaten to pull music off of itunes (and alienate their customers even more). I buy all my music from itunes and stream it throughout my casa

maybe my gf will get me one for xmas