Apple unveils iPod touch and iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store

Comments

• Reply 201 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

I have a music library of over 55GB, but I am more than happy with a 16GB iPod touch.

I just have some smart playlists that manage my music for me. They work great on my iPod nano 4Gb, so they will be even better and will let me set up more with 16GB.

I have the following set up :-

1GB of the most recently added tracks to iTunes, that way I always have my recent purchases as they are usually something I want to listen to.

2GB of my favorite tracks (4 stars or above), that have not been played in the last 6 months, the playlist also selects the tracks based on those which have the lowest play count.

1GB of manually selected music that is 'hot' with me at the moment.

What I will probably do is set up a few favorites playlist as above, but limit each to a different Genre. That way I will always have some favorites of each Genre that I really like (Musicals, Pop, Easy Listening)

I will have a Video playlist of course, they are easy to deal with as the content is much less in number.

Have a few photo albums on there and I'm all set!

I still have my 60GB iPod photos if I really feel I need to take all my music with me somewhere like a party or a 2 week vacation.

Ian

That's quite a plan!
  • Reply 202 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

What are you talking about?

I have a Sony Ericsson K750i and I can put any MP3s I want on to it and I can nominate any MP3 as my ring tone - I don't have to pay anyone anything extra.

Old Man Mel must be going senile -- I can do the same thing with my Razor.
  • Reply 203 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancingbrook View Post

iTunes 7.4? Where? No sign of it anywhere.

I was wondering the same thing......
  • Reply 204 of 311
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Sure. Faucet/tap, pavement/road, sidewalk/pavement, color/colour, etc. etc., these are all understandable. But removing a word from a phrase so that the words mean the inverse of what you actually mean? That will never make sense to me.

That's why they're called idiomatic expressions.

There is one I'm very familiar with: tube vs valve.

I must say that I'm on the side of the British on this one.
  • Reply 205 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by britwithgoodteeth View Post

Old Man Mel must be going senile -- I can do the same thing with my Razor.

What plan do you have? Is this officially supported by it, or is it something else/
  • Reply 206 of 311
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Um, you got the British and American usage the wrong way around. Both are "legitimate" in that they make sense grammatically, but are you seriously suggesting the word "not" has no meaning? The two phrases mean the opposite of each other.

I'm an American who agrees with you on this. Saying "I could care less" to mean "I could not care less" has always struck me as a stupid. I've always thought of it as a matter of being blissfully unaware of the words coming out of one's mouth, not merely "idiomatic" usage.

Besides, it's not like adding the "not" confuses anyone, regardless of country of origin, so why not go with a form of the expression that's clear to everyone and makes logical sense?
  • Reply 207 of 311
    Quote:

Um, you got the British and American usage the wrong way around. Both are "legitimate" in that they make sense grammatically, but are you seriously suggesting the word "not" has no meaning? The two phrases mean the opposite of each other.

If I say "I could care less what you think of me", it means that I care about what you think of me (I care and therefore am able to care less). If I say "I couldn't care less what you think of me", it means that I do not care about what you think of me (I do not care, and therefore it is impossible for me to care less - I couldn't care less).

Of course, since the word "not" doesn't mean anything to you, you will find this explanation hard to follow since it involves the word "not", (or its contraction: n't) quite a bit

Here's a link you might want to check out that might help with your wonderment:

http://dictionary.reference.com/help...guage/g09.html

And, you are right that I got the British and American usage reversed. I could(n't) care less.
  • Reply 208 of 311
    Quote:

How many times do people have to tell you it's not free?

Sigh!

I'm posting as the post come up. Most of those came up after I responded to other earlier posts. Ok?

Also, as I said, here in my Barnes & Nobel it seems to be different. Someone else pointed out that it could be because it isn't owned by Starbucks, so it could be Barnes & Nobel. Understand?
  • Reply 209 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

What plan do you have? Is this officially supported by it, or is it something else/

I'm on AT&T's basic $49/month plan.

I connect to the computer via bluetooth, and drag the MP3's to the phone's Audio folder. They then show up in the ring tone menu.
  • Reply 210 of 311
    Alright, after much deliberation, I've decided I'm going to get one of the iPod Classic models (if you've lost track of my post, I'm one of those folks who wanted both a widescreen AND high capacity). Here's my thinking:

The current product line indicates that it's going to be quite some time before Apple introduces a widescreen iPod with a capacity north of 40 GB. At least two years.

I've already decided that I"m getting an iPhone once it gets 3G capability and my current T-Mobile contract is up (I don't trust the unlocking solutions to work permanently, and besides, I think visual voicemail is one of the iPhone's best features). By that time, the iPhone will almost surely be up to 16GB. So it'd be pretty damn stupid to get a 16 GB iPod Touch when I'm going to buy the same thing, only better, a year or so later.

Therefore, it makes perfect sense to go with an iPod Classic. I guess I can just stomach the small screen

Oh, and Mr. H, I'm an American and I agree with you 100 percent. In fact, this is the first time I've heard the argument that "could care less" is just an American expression. It's not. I couldn't care less what side of the Atlantic you live on — it's just bad grammar.
  • Reply 211 of 311
    It seems that your eagerness has resulted in the price dropping for the second tier of buyers. Without you guys newer customers would also have to pay the same. So Thanks and respect.

The second tier of iPhone buyers will face the same situation when the price is dropped again.

Think of yourselves as being pioneers not being punished.

As for the ipodTouch, Im hoping it will connect to any wireless network, as I'd really like to check gmail etc from the cafe over the road from my office. (we cant have wireless for security reasons) So tired of lugging my laptop around. And it looks to be a while before iPhone gets to Tokyo.

The limitation of the Touch's size is no problem, Ive got almost a 1000GB of movies and music, theres no way I need all that on the go. I've been quite happy with the 8GB nano for a while, just need a few albums and room to record my german lessons. Then everything is dumped to external HD.

If some kind hackers would make a skype mod. or application I could throw away my mobile phone at last.
  • Reply 212 of 311
    If some kind hackers would make a skype mod. or application I could throw away my mobile phone at last.

How would you communicate without a mic?
  • Reply 213 of 311
    Quote:

I'm on AT&T's basic $49/month plan.

I connect to the computer via bluetooth, and drag the MP3's to the phone's Audio folder. They then show up in the ring tone menu.

That's interesting, as other companies have prevented the phones from allowing that from what I've seen elsewhere.

Perhaps ATT is not as predatory as we may have thought.
  • Reply 214 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tetzel1517 View Post

Oh, and Mr. H, I'm an American and I agree with you 100 percent. In fact, this is the first time I've heard the argument that "could care less" is just an American expression. It's not. I couldn't care less what side of the Atlantic you live on ? it's just bad grammar.

Oh, jeeze. I hate to continue this, but idiomatic expressions are often "bad grammar".

By the way, I try hard not to use them myself, but it can creep in.

Of course, we use them here all the time, but mostly for the humor.
  • Reply 215 of 311
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,903member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

I believe the iPod touch screenshots I saw had Calendar and Contacts apps. You are correct though, that it does appear to be lacking some other apps (Mail, Notes, Maps, Weather) that are on the iPhone and should work over WiFi. The reasoning is unclear to me.

Yeah it's almost a Newton! I mean really, they add Safari, Calendar and Contacts but leave out some sort of note taking app? I don't get it. I guess you can put notes in your ToDos maybe?

It is pretty sweet though. Cheaper iPhone good too.
  • Reply 216 of 311
    This may be Apple's test of the UMPC market, on a smaller physical scale.
  • Reply 217 of 311
    Damn.

I just bought a 30gb video 2 months ago. As for the new version still no email or camera so I'll be content for what I have now.

\
  • Reply 218 of 311
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Electric Monk View Post

Yeah, that bugs me to. Luckily iToner exists. For 20 bucks you can put whatever songs you want as ringtones on your iPhone.

You can't on the iPhone, I don't see why it would be different with the iPod touch.

I don't suppose you've heard about North American coffee before Starbucks? (and outside NYC/San Francisco). Diner coffee or… diner coffee.

Starbucks is the main reason all those awesome indie coffee stores exist. For that alone they will always get a pass from me.

It can't yet, but it will likely be hacked to enable additional programs.

Basically iPod Touch WiFi = normal WiFi. The main difference is that your only three applications are a browser, a Youtube video browser, and the iTunes store.

So yes you can to your College website and log in to get your email, and no using WiFi on the Touch does not cost you anything (unless the wireless network is a pay one).

Peet's Coffee is the Reason Starbucks exists, at all. They learned from Peet himself. Starbucks founders then sold to others who made Starbucks what it is today.

Research about Starbucks and trendy coffee more deeply next time.

AS AN AMERICAN WE ALL DO NOT SAY, "I COULD CARE LESS." It's retarded, but so is the oxymoron of Common Sense--neither of which is true. Uncommon Sense is a more appropriate term and Sir Thomas Pain[e] knew this when he wrote that fantastic work.
  • Reply 219 of 311
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:

Adding an HDD would not reduce battery life too much. The iPod classic has a solid-state memory buffer - data is copied to the buffer, then the HDD spins down. As long as the user doesn't skip tracks all the time, the HDD doesn't have to spin up very often and is off most of the time.

Some possible reasons why the iPod touch has no HDD option:

1.) Steve thought the iPod touch with HDD would be too thick.

2.) The HDD generates too much heat and screws up the touch screen.

I think it's number 1.)

I agree, Steve is a big aesthetics-head. But I think battery life also played a role.

• Reply 220 of 311
    Incredible! The perfect replacement for Palm? but it has no Bluetooth! So friends can´t send over photos or vCards from their cell-phones and I can´t share my stuff with them. I can´t use Address Book to dial from - possible with Palm for ages. iPod touch could have been the perfect solution for 1. all of us outside USA that will have to wait for iPhone until who knows when 2. all of us who always thought having a really small cellphone combined with a really competent handheld device is the best solution (I don´t want to bring a big smartphone when I go out to dance, as one example).

And - why no e-mail? Someone wrote that with Safari web-based mail could be used. Yes, but how practical is that? With Mail you download when you are near a Wi-Fi and then read it anywhere, anytime. So much easier and faster.

To small extras and iPod touch would have been perfect. I would have placed an order straight away, but now? I don´t know.