I made a music video that expresses my feelings toward Public School.

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I made a music video about Public School, using the track "Auschwitz-Birkenau" from the Schindler's List Soundtrack, as the music.

I use this music because I think that School is one of the most evil creations ever. It ruins children, and the damage is permanent. They come out of high school completely brainwashed, having negative views on life, and a very cynical attitude.

In school, people are taught that you go through school, then college, and then you get a job.

Do people even realize that some of the people in the world ARE company owners, and multi-billionaires? The attitude that school plugs into the minds of the youth is that the people at the top are bad, and that you have no hope of getting up there anyway, so you want to get a job.

Why work for someone else? Get people to work for you! Get rich doing what you're good at! The brainwash is colossal and catastrophic. Not only negative opinions are set in their minds, but they are also taught to believe without questioning, to obey orders without reason, and to succumb to peer pressure and majority vote.

High school is the worst part. In high school, teens are completely neglected, and left to rot in the shadows of what their life could have been without the incalculable amount of damage that school imposes on them. Only teens with really good homes come out of high school with little to no emotional or mental damage taken.

It's because of places like Public School, that someone like Hitler had such an easy time riling up a country into his cause and making them believe that they should take over the world and kill jews, gypsies, disabled people etc.

The American government and school system are running on the same principals as the old Germanic philosophies. Sooner or later, this country will become a Fascist country, and 50 years later, people will be asking themselves "Why didn't they see it coming?" the same way we ask that question about the German youth back then. The answer is, some of us did see it coming. I am one of them.

Hitler could not have done what he did if he didn't have the cooperation of an entire nation, and the nation was only susceptible to such brainwash because of school!

American Public School is just as bad, and the video that I just put together is a pure expression of my feeling about public school. The music describes what's REALLY happening, what's happening inside the minds of these innocent children. The music doesn't describe what's happening on the outside, physically.

People have told me "It's just footage of kids inside classrooms, set to dramatic music that doesn't fit it," and I say about those people, that this is the exact point that my video is trying to make. If people don't even find it scary anymore, that a large group of identically aged, identically dressed people sit in a room being taught stuff they don't care about, then that's simply because they are fully in the brainwash of the system.

The image of a high school classroom, full of symmetrical rows of identically aged people, is terrifying, and it should appear terrifying to anyone who is even remotely aware of what I have just expressed.

Here is the link to the video. If you didn't read everything I wrote in here, you might not understand the video. But here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHJ59PGLdvQ

Comments

• Reply 1 of 145
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehellgate911 View Post

I made a music video about Public School, using the track "Auschwitz-Birkenau" from the Schindler's List Soundtrack, as the music.

I can't watch the video at the moment, but let me address some points as a public school teacher of 9 years:

Quote:

I use this music because I think that School is one of the most evil creations ever. It ruins children, and the damage is permanent. They come out of high school completely brainwashed, having negative views on life, and a very cynical attitude.

A tad bit hyperbolic, no? One of the most Evil creations, ever? I do agree that there is some "brainwashing" or at least indoctrinating going on. That I'm with you on. However, it's certainly not "fascist" brainwashing...it's liberal indoctrination.

Quote:

In school, people are taught that you go through school, then college, and then you get a job.

Do people even realize that some of the people in the world ARE company owners, and multi-billionaires? The attitude that school plugs into the minds of the youth is that the people at the top are bad, and that you have no hope of getting up there anyway, so you want to get a job.

Why work for someone else? Get people to work for you! Get rich doing what you're good at! The brainwash is colossal and catastrophic. Not only negative opinions are set in their minds, but they are also taught to believe without questioning, to obey orders without reason, and to succumb to peer pressure and majority vote.

Well, that's not really school that teaches you that...it's society and the norms we've established. And, who's to say one can't make money at something he's good at while employed by another person? Is Donovan McNabb one of these brainwashed suckers you speak of because he's employed by the Eagles?

You're also not looking at the issue practically. People need to make a living. Sometimes working for someone else, at least temporarily, is the option. There are also fields that one pretty much has to work for someone else, such as mine. Where else can I teach the number of kids I do? Where else can I do that AND make the money I do?

Quote:

High school is the worst part. In high school, teens are completely neglected, and left to rot in the shadows of what their life could have been without the incalculable amount of damage that school imposes on them.

That's a very vague statement. I'd like to know what, specifically, that means. For example, how are they neglected? What does "what their life [sic] could have been" mean?

Quote:

Only teens with really good homes come out of high school with little to no emotional or mental damage taken.

Unsupported. In fact, I can anecdotally point to students who have done well in spite of their circumstances.

Quote:

It's because of places like Public School, that someone like Hitler had such an easy time riling up a country into his cause and making them believe that they should take over the world and kill jews, gypsies, disabled people etc.

The American government and school system are running on the same principals as the old Germanic philosophies.

Specifically?

Quote:

Sooner or later, this country will become a Fascist country, and 50 years later, people will be asking themselves "Why didn't they see it coming?" the same way we ask that question about the German youth back then. The answer is, some of us did see it coming. I am one of them.

Hitler could not have done what he did if he didn't have the cooperation of an entire nation, and the nation was only susceptible to such brainwash because of school!

You're comparing the American system to the tools of Hitler's Germany. Wow...Godwin's law in the first post of a thread. Take some sort of medication.

Quote:

American Public School is just as bad,

While it has MAJOR problems that I plan to write a book on someday, it is not "as bad."

Quote:

and the video that I just put together is a pure expression of my feeling about public school. The music describes what's REALLY happening, what's happening inside the minds of these innocent children. The music doesn't describe what's happening on the outside, physically.

How would you know what's happening inside their minds....in minds other than your own?

Quote:

People have told me "It's just footage of kids inside classrooms, set to dramatic music that doesn't fit it,"

How many people? Hmmm.

Quote:

and I say about those people, that this is the exact point that my video is trying to make. If people don't even find it scary anymore, that a large group of identically aged, identically dressed people sit in a room being taught stuff they don't care about, then that's simply because they are fully in the brainwash of the system.

So you object to conformity. I see. Well, I certainly understand the criticisms of compulsory education. I certainly understand the "not caring" part. Take a look at my high school math grades.

Quote:

The image of a high school classroom, full of symmetrical rows of identically aged people, is terrifying, and it should appear terrifying to anyone who is even remotely aware of what I have just expressed.

Well I suppose I don't really need to see the video, because I've been there. I can understand your problem with the symmetry and conformity, etc. I have many of my own criticisms of public high schools, believe me. That said, you're just using words without really understanding their meanings...or at least you're not thinking about those meanings. It's quite, well, irresponsible, actually. "Terrifying." I would not say it's terrifying. I believe nearly all public and even private schools use some sort of grouping system as you've described. It's FAR WORSE (according to your standards) in Japan. In fact, in that system it would be you that was the problem. Guaranteed.

Quote:

Here is the link to the video. If you didn't read everything I wrote in here, you might not understand the video. But here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHJ59PGLdvQ

I will try and watch it later. Not sure it's necessary. You sound quite upset and dare I say even disturbed though. Best of luck...hopefully you find what you're looking for in life. It's been my experience that people with your views change as they get older. Sometimes they even become teachers.
  • Reply 2 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

I will try and watch it later. Not sure it's necessary. You sound quite upset and dare I say even disturbed though. Best of luck...hopefully you find what you're looking for in life. It's been my experience that people with your views change as they get older. Sometimes they even become teachers.

I really REALLY wanted to respond to your post in the same civilized manner that you responded to mind, but your idea that I might become a school teacher really cracked me up.

I'm heading into the music/film industry as fast as I can. I'm already writing music for an independent film, submitting music to licensing firms, producing my own piano CD's, and editing my first live action short, (that I wrote and directed). I'm planning on making $100,000 a year by the time i'm 25, and $100,000,000 a year by the time i'm 40.

If I become a school teacher, it'll be in a different body, on a different planet, at a different time.

But not this life. Sorry.

Other than that, everything you said had a very valid point, and I admit to the vagueness of many of my statements.
  • Reply 3 of 145
    Quote:

I really REALLY wanted to respond to your post in the same civilized manner that you responded to mind, but your idea that I might become a school teacher really cracked me up.

I'm heading into the music/film industry as fast as I can. I'm already writing music for an independent film, submitting music to licensing firms, producing my own piano CD's, and editing my first live action short, (that I wrote and directed). I'm planning on making $100,000 a year by the time i'm 25, and $100,000,000 a year by the time i'm 40.

If I become a school teacher, it'll be in a different body, on a different planet, at a different time.

Other than that, everything you said had a very valid point, and I admit to the vagueness of many of my statements.

Good for you then. Really! I think that you taking this kind of initiative at your age (high school, I assume?) is great. I had many of those same qualities and views in high school.

I have actually started a book (that I work on occasionally) about the problems in our system.

I'd be interested in a more specific response to my questions though. Also, I was obviously making a tongue-in-cheek comment with the "becoming a teacher" thing
  • Reply 4 of 145
    Quote:

I'm heading into the music/film industry as fast as I can. I'm already writing music for an independent film, submitting music to licensing firms, producing my own piano CD's, and editing my first live action short, (that I wrote and directed).

Care to mention any specifics?

Incidentally, why didn't you write and produce original music for the video?

Quote:

I'm planning on making $100,000 a year by the time i'm 25, and $100,000,000 a year by the time i'm 40.

I know I may just be cat, but I'm also, you could say, a musician.

Here's some unsolicited thoughts.

I have found that musicians driven by money benchmarks tend not to reach them.

Unlike you, I think school is a good thing, not a bad thing. The problem is that too many schools suck, not that school itself sucks.

I work with some pretty impressive musicians, and honestly I have to say that some are highschool dropouts! However, I would say that they are the exceptions. School helps far more than it hurts and most of the successful musicians around me either were pretty damn good students or at least met each other at school. Be every bit the rebel you want, but if you don't think you can further your musical career by going to school, you're making the biggest mistake you can make.

Quote:

Much of the work of a producer is similar to being a teacher.

Quote:

But do you admit to them being boring? That's the cardinal sin of any musician. Boredom. If you write and produce things that are boring, you might as well go home. Maybe get a job writing background for the Home Shopping Network. But aside from that no one wants a boring little bore. School helps you not be boring.

What about you isn't boring?
  • Reply 5 of 145
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

I'm planning on making $100,000 a year by the time i'm 25, and $100,000,000 a year by the time i'm 40.

I'm planning on laughing hysterically.
  • Reply 6 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

Care to mention any specifics?

Incidentally, why didn't you write and produce original music for the video?

I know I may just be cat, but I'm also, you could say, a musician.

Here's some unsolicited thoughts.

I have found that musicians driven by money benchmarks tend not to reach them.

Unlike you, I think school is a good thing, not a bad thing. The problem is that too many schools suck, not that school itself sucks.

I work with some pretty impressive musicians, and honestly I have to say that some are highschool dropouts! However, I would say that they are the exceptions. School helps far more than it hurts and most of the successful musicians around me either were pretty damn good students or at least met each other at school. Be every bit the rebel you want, but if you don't think you can further your musical career by going to school, you're making the biggest mistake you can make.

Much of the work of a producer is similar to being a teacher.

But do you admit to them being boring? That's the cardinal sin of any musician. Boredom. If you write and produce things that are boring, you might as well go home. Maybe get a job writing background for the Home Shopping Network. But aside from that no one wants a boring little bore. School helps you not be boring.

What about you isn't boring?

I was homeschooled my whole life, and I am now attending Community College for my Junior and Senior years, through a program called "Running Start" that exists only in Washington State. I'm currently in the second year of this program, my senior year, finishing up high school level math, and rapidly approaching the credits needed for my AA degree.

I started playing piano when I was 3, when I began playing pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and Purcell on the piano by ear. I'll be uploading videos of that shortly. I began composing at age 7, and had written a few orchestral pieces including 2 classical style symphonies, by age 12. I now do alot of improvising on the piano. I can go on for hours in a new-age/classical style that people have universally seemed to love. I can also of course write out full scores of orchestral pieces, or record new multi-layer music directly on the computer as improvisation or semi-improvisation (improvisation based on a theme I composed).

Right now i'm planning on moving into the music industry first, and then getting my foot into cinema through scoring films, acting, or screenwriting. Then, eventually I want to be a Director/Producer/Composer.

I didn't write original music for the video, because John William's "Auschwitz" track perfectly described how I feel about school. If you'd like, i'll write my own music to the video. It won't take very long.

Anything else you want to know?
  • Reply 7 of 145
    Quote:

I was homeschooled my whole life

Well, that explains a lot concerning your 'attitude' toward schools in general.

On the music side, keep going, and keep writing. Publish, Publish, Publish. I think you find that most of us "musicians" run in deep stealth mode around here, but I'm sure you'll get lot's of responders to the thread.

Paz
  • Reply 8 of 145
    Quote:

I was homeschooled my whole life, and I am now attending Community College for my Junior and Senior years, through a program called "Running Start" that exists only in Washington State. I'm currently in the second year of this program, my senior year, finishing up high school level math, and rapidly approaching the credits needed for my AA degree.

I started playing piano when I was 3, when I began playing pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and Purcell on the piano by ear. I'll be uploading videos of that shortly. I began composing at age 7, and had written a few orchestral pieces including 2 classical style symphonies, by age 12. I now do alot of improvising on the piano. I can go on for hours in a new-age/classical style that people have universally seemed to love. I can also of course write out full scores of orchestral pieces, or record new multi-layer music directly on the computer as improvisation or semi-improvisation (improvisation based on a theme I composed).

Right now i'm planning on moving into the music industry first, and then getting my foot into cinema through scoring films, acting, or screenwriting. Then, eventually I want to be a Director/Producer/Composer.

I didn't write original music for the video, because John William's "Auschwitz" track perfectly described how I feel about school. If you'd like, i'll write my own music to the video. It won't take very long.

Well, I would like to comment. First, I think you have a nice direction there. Not sure if you're aware, but I teach music. I've also got a masters degree in applied music and have taken several composition classes. Now, some points:

1. In think since you have not experienced public school first hand, you really must acknowledge you have a somewhat warped (pardon the word) viewpoint. To someone that was home schooled, I can imagine much of what you saw looked extraordinarily limiting and structured. You also see the bad in the system and ignore the good...and there is much of it. I'm not saying you're not entitled to an opinion. I'm just saying I think you should acknowledge that it's a relatively "shallow" opinion concerning personal experience.

2. Speaking a career musician-educator (in other words, a musician that teaches as opposed to a "music teacher" only) and occasional performer: I advise you to get a degree in composition or at least study privately with an established film composer. You will need this education to become a successful film composer/conductor/producer. I'm sure you have talent and know what you want to hear, but take it from me, that's not enough. You need someone who can teach you the various techniques, such as:

a. How to develop an appropriate melody/find the voice of your film.

b. How to alter and expand a melodic line.

c. A full blown Western Harmony (Music Theory) course or courses.

d. Meaning of common compositional terms such as: Augmentation, diminution, quartal and quintal harmony, 20th century techniques, non-western instruments, octatonic scales, serialism, pointillism, impressionism, etc.

e. A solid understanding of music history from Medival times through present day.

f. The importance of peer review and association with other young composers.

That's off the top of my head. I certainly don't mean to suggest you can't been successful in some music field without that knowledge and experience, but your likelihood of success is much higher as film/TV composer if you do have it.
  • Reply 9 of 145
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Ah, macgeek2004-6, aka too many more to name. I'm not sure having 10+ banned accounts on each forum in the apple rumors community is really the path to making 100m/yr.
  • Reply 10 of 145
    Quote:

using the track "Auschwitz-Birkenau" from the Schindler's List Soundtrack, as the music.

Forgot how sad that music is. Couldn't watch the whole thing.
  • Reply 11 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant View Post

Ah, macgeek2004-6, aka too many more to name. I'm not sure having 10+ banned accounts on each forum in the apple rumors community is really the path to making 100m/yr.

I was wondering how long it would take for him to get called out...
  • Reply 12 of 145
    Quote:

I am sorry to hear that you were homeschooled your whole life. I'm not a big fan of that as I think much of what is valuable in school is mixing with chums. People I went to school with are everything from rock stars to dead, and what a shame it would have been had I been cloistered away from them. Going to some hybrid program at comm college sounds OK, but are these really your peers? After you graduate why not go to a decent liberal arts college where you can hang out with other people like yourself, talk about how much you hate school, learn even more reasons why you hate school, meet people who will form a critical part of your future, and enhance your chance of success in music or any other field.

Quote:

I started playing piano when I was 3, when I began playing pieces by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, and Purcell on the piano by ear.

Purcell! Were your parents playing Purcell around the house?!

It's great that you have a good ear. That's important. It can also be a double-edged sword: if you can pick stuff up easilly by ear, it spares you from having to learn on a much more intense level. There's a difference between impressing your family and friends, and developing talent.

Whose piano performances of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven (and Purcell) do you respect? Have you ever studied these composers with a great teacher? Have you played anything by Bach beyond Preludes and Fugues and Inventions? Have you played any Beethoven Sonata that hasn't been translated to Muzak? Have you had any critical feedback or real training? Have you ever analyzed the music you've played? How? Have you ever performed publicly? Have you ever performed with other people?

Quote:

I'll be uploading videos of that shortly. I began composing at age 7, and had written a few orchestral pieces including 2 classical style symphonies, by age 12.

What do you mean classical style? That's about 1000 years of music. Do you mean everything is diatonic scale? How long were the pieces? What instrumentation? What's the form? Were the instruments transposing? Were they scores ever read or performed? By whom? Did you ever notate them in Sibelius or Finale? Did you ever realize them with a sequencer and samples? C'mon. Details!

Quote:

I now do alot of improvising on the piano. I can go on for hours in a new-age/classical style that people have universally seemed to love.

By new-age I take it you are repeating the same pleasant-sounding phrases again and again. Pleasant. Boring. Yawn. But it's nice you stumbled on an easy musical trick. BTW, ever see koyaniskatsi?

Quote:

I can also of course write out full scores of orchestral pieces, or record new multi-layer music directly on the computer as improvisation or semi-improvisation (improvisation based on a theme I composed).

That's like saying "I can shoot a ball into a basket, I can dribble the ball, I am fast on my feet. I should be in the NBA." Uhhh. OK.

Writing out a full orchestral score has little meaning if it sounds bad. Or is boring. Recording new multi-layer music into a sequencer has little meaning if its sounds bad. Or is boring. Which isn't to say Yay for you. But this gets tired pretty fast if you don't move beyond it. It's like saying "I can write letters on a piece of paper. Therefore I am a writer." Well, if you're talking about writing a great book other people will want to read, you will need to know more than how to write letters on paper. All of the composers you mentioned above studied beyond belief. What about you?

Quote:

Right now i'm planning on moving into the music industry first,

What does that mean?

You want to get a job as an A&R rep for a label? If you do, your music career is over.

Quote:

and then getting my foot into cinema through scoring films,

That's not the route. You need to go to music school and learn about composing, arranging, orchestration, scoring, and you have to be really really good at it, and then you work as an assistant, do student films, work your way up, and even then, you're competing against musicians who are highly talented, highly trained, highly connected, and many of them highly humble.

Quote:

acting,

Did you just watch "fame" or something?

Quote:

or screenwriting.

You can act, write, sing, dance, sail, produce, fly...

The whole point of school is you get to try out all this stuff. You can dabble in it and if it piques your interest, you can get all intense and serious about it and work with other people you like. Why would want to avoid that?

Quote:

Then, eventually I want to be a Director/Producer/Composer.

Choose and study or fail!

Quote:

this is actually a common experience in film scoring. Unless you are a celebrity composer, a director will typically put down a scratch track of pre-recorded music that goes with the original cut prior to the film composer creating original music. The problem is many directors fall in love with the scratch track and that's what they want. The composer has to either mimic the style of the original - yuck - or come up with something so compelling and different as to convince the director to choose that over the temp track. So, having provided a temp track, why not try to write something original?

Quote:

I am a cat, and therefore you may not take me very seriously.

But I can't take you seriously either because you haven't said anything specific that is impressive to anyone who really knows about music. For all I know, you may be talented albeit green. But you are so much in a vacuum you don't even realize it. Which isn't your fault. But you need to get out of it if you want to do this stuff and not just talk about it.
  • Reply 13 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by giant View Post

Yeah so? If I didn't want to be "found out" here, I wouldn't have posted that whole mini-biography.

I've only registered once here at appleinsider, and I plan to keep it that way. I haven't even been temporarily banned from this place, and i've never been annoying or rude here. Can we get back on topic please?

SDW2001, I have to thank you. You seem like an extremely intelligent, experienced person, and I will take seriously many of the things you've told me. I just can't help but have a negative opinion of schools when I look around and see all these girls dressed the same, talking the same, wearing the same makeup. It's as if there's some cloning process going on inside there. And it very well might be that that's simply what happens when you cram lots of people of the same age into the same place at the same time.. but that also makes it the school's fault for putting all these kids in an unnatural environment.

A few days ago, my family was watching videos of when I was 3 or 4 years old.. and I was astounded by how brilliant and perfect my parents raised me and my brothers. Everything was natural. We slept in a family bed, we all went to bed at the same time.. there was no "problems about bedtime" and "trying to put the kids to bed". We'd all just kind of wind down together like normal animals. I wasn't exposed to any harmful or brainwashing media until I was at least 10 years old. We lived out in the middle of nowhere, and me and my siblings were free to go wherever we wanted, and fully shape into the human beings that we are, free of restraint, physical or mental. It really blew my mind watching those videos.. and I sincerely thanked my parents afterwards. There was a period in there where I was angry at them for raising me in a "bubble" but now I cannot thank them enough.

Quote:

I am sorry to hear that you were homeschooled your whole life. I'm not a big fan of that as I think much of what is valuable in school is mixing with chums. People I went to school with are everything from rock stars to dead, and what a shame it would have been had I been cloistered away from them. Going to some hybrid program at comm college sounds OK, but are these really your peers? After you graduate why not go to a decent liberal arts college where you can hang out with other people like yourself, talk about how much you hate school, learn even more reasons why you hate school, meet people who will form a critical part of your future, and enhance your chance of success in music or any other field.

You asked way too many questions for me to answer right now. I've got chemistry class in 10 minutes. I'll write you a PM when I get home.
  • Reply 14 of 145
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Well, I would like to comment. First, I think you have a nice direction there. Not sure if you're aware, but I teach music. I've also got a masters degree in applied music and have taken several composition classes.

"Applied music"?

In what way is music applied?

Is that a way to describe music in the service of another art form (e.g. film music)?

Does that mean there is some music that is purely theoretical?

There is, of course, that piece by John Cage that takes something like 10,000 years to perform, each note performed every hundred years. I suppose that's kind of theoretical, although it is currently in performance...
  • Reply 15 of 145
    Quote:

.. and I was astounded by how brilliant and perfect my parents raised me and my brothers.

Yes, I'm sure perfection was achieved. As advice, I would suggest that you print this thread out when it concludes and place the copy in a safe. Ten years from now you can re-read it and I guarantee that you will notice that many changes have taken place in your relationship with the universe. Reality has a tendency to either blunt or sharpen the edges of the sword you wield.

SDW's advice was reasonably sound. I am however reprimanding myself for the "deep stealth" comment. No milk and cookies before bed for me tonight!

Sir Hellgate, please post a link to some music for me. No vids, just music. I would love to hear it.

Paz
  • Reply 16 of 145
    I will post links to some of my music, as well as send a PM to Duddits, answering all his questions, as soon as I get home in about three hours.

Thanks for the interesting discussion guys.
  • Reply 17 of 145
    Quote:

(wiping away tears)
  • Reply 18 of 145
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I plan on starting to pay back $100,000 by the time I'm 25.
  • Reply 19 of 145
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

As someone who's watched you surface and resurface and rererereresurface on a certain other discussion board, I can say with much confidence that while you may one day amount to something, it'll never be $100m a year.

I also have this slight feeling being told by one's mom that microwave ovens and WiFi networks will destroy your brain is slightly more indoctrinating (or maybe just freaking dumb?) than attending public school.
  • Reply 20 of 145
    Quote:

"Applied music"?

In what way is music applied?

Is that a way to describe music in the service of another art form (e.g. film music)?

Does that mean there is some music that is purely theoretical?

There is, of course, that piece by John Cage that takes something like 10,000 years to perform, each note performed every hundred years. I suppose that's kind of theoretical, although it is currently in performance...

I have a Masters Degree in Trumpet Performance. Usually "applied music" means performance. In fact, I'm using the term that is not really used at this point. Now it's just called "Master of Music in...."

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

I plan on starting to pay back $100,000 by the time I'm 25.

Sorry dude!