Nokia launches anti-iPhone campaign amid controversy

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I have said over and over again, since 1997, when Jobs came back, that Jobs HATES open devices.

This has been his history. Anything that has been open, has been something that he has shut down, if he could.

does anyone really not realize that he would close the Mac Pro's if he thought he could get away with it?

does anyone here doubt that he would stop all third party development for Apple's computers if he could get away with it?

Why is anyone surprised at the situation here?

He stated that third party apps would likely appear, but only through Apple. He is hostile towards anything else. His statements abut device and network stability, no matter how specious, indicated very strongly to me that he would not be happy about unauthorized development of any kind.

He will also, apparently, not tolerate anything that threatens Apple's revenue stream from his partners.

Do I agree with his stance?

No. I don't. But that is what it is, and we either have to live with it, or not buy those products that restrict the uses we want for them.

I still have hopes that Apple WILL come out with an SDK of some sort by the end of the year, that will meet Job's concepts of free development, and Apple control, but we will have to wait and see about that.
  • Reply 22 of 141
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I have absolutely no problem with Apple making life hard for people who have unlocked their iPhones to run on a non-AT&T network. AT&T has made concessions to Apple to make the iPhone what it is (ie, developing visual voicemail, beefing up the EDGE network, developing the innovative iTunes activation process...not to mention sharing subscriber revenues with Apple) and it's fair that Apple protect AT&T's investment in the iPhone for the 2 or 5 year exclusivity period (whatever it really is). That's honest and fair business.

But I *can't stand* Apple's attempt to discourage third-party development. There are TONS of gaps in the Iphone experience that Apple is being glacially slow in addressing. I have no To Do application for my phone. I can't play games on it. I can't record voice notes. Etc. etc. etc. It's been more than 3 months since the iPhone launched, and all Apple has provided is the WiFi iTunes store, which I personally don't need, and which really serves Apple as much as its customers because it lets Apple sell more music.

There's a saying that goes "Lead, follow or get out of the way." When it comes to app development for the iPhone, Apple is clearly not leading. If it won't lead, then it needs to make room for others...

I completely agree with all of what you said.

Though, I think that Apple perhaps has been playing it too safe and worrying about third party apps causing problems and ruining their vision of the perfect launch and momentum drive to the holiday season. That is the problem with playing not to lose, you always lose. Never understood the prevent defense.

Play to win!!
  • Reply 23 of 141
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

does anyone here doubt that he would stop all third party development for Apple's computers if he could get away with it?

Yeah, I doubt it.

Apple provides all the info needed AND SDK's for Mac OS X. Your assertions fail to consider the facts. Apple not only allows 3rd party development, it freely facilitates it.

http://developer.apple.com/

http://developer.apple.com/sdk/
  • Reply 24 of 141
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    On one hand, Nokia allows third party software, on the other hand, it's still Nokia.
  • Reply 25 of 141
    antr0antr0 Posts: 1member
    Am not bothered either way. But this has got to be rich, open ffrom Nokia and all the other phone manufacturers. How many of us have bought phones for the spec's to find the same phones butchered by the ISP's with thier own version of firmware. Then having to wait months being pushed back and forth between phone manufacturer and ISP all disowning. At least the iPhone will do 98% of what it says it will.
  • Reply 26 of 141
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Personally I think a SDK will be announced and or a available at the release of Leopard. The iPhone will eventually have to become open to applications. Steve has no option on this one.

I also think that will be when the next update is released it will add things like Task lists, etc. I have a funny feeling there is going to be a significant change to iCal and Apple didn't want to waste resources on old applications for the iPhone because they will be changing in a few months with the new OS release. I think they did it the smart way and did the absolute minimum they had to do to get them in the hands of the consumers. Do you really think things like task lists, cut and paste, etc. mean a whole lot to the first round of buyers? Obviously no because to date Apple has sold a ton of iPhones.

Further this would be a great way to force people in to upgrading to Leopard with the company line of "You won't have the new iCal with tasks on your iPhone unless you have the new iCal on your home machine."

I would be cool with that just give me the task manager please!

--Dave
  • Reply 27 of 141
    "The Cupertino-based firm's harsh stance was met with considerable outrage..."

The childish rantings of a few underemployed hackers constitute "....considerable outrage"?

Maybe you should read the latest channel checks from Deutsche Bank, Piper Jaffary, etc., which confirm the iPhone is flying out the door. These buyers care not one whit for Apple's garage days which these hackers seem to rue so much. A broader market-based perspective might lead you to moderate your language and present the case more fairly. AAPL is a $150bn market cap retail business which gave up catering to fringe elements years ago. Thank goodness.

I am delighted with Apple's stance, and happy to trade the latest unproved hacks for a solid, virus-free user experience. Today's all time high AAPL price suggests you just don't get it.
  • Reply 28 of 141
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thomaspin View Post

"The Cupertino-based firm's harsh stance was met with considerable outrage..."

The childish rantings of a few underemployed hackers constitute "....considerable outrage"?

Maybe you should read the latest channel checks from Deutsche Bank, Piper Jaffary, etc., which confirm the iPhone is flying out the door. These buyers care not one whit for Apple's garage days which these hackers seem to rue so much. A broader market-based perspective might lead you to moderate your language and present the case more fairly. AAPL is a $150bn market cap retail business which gave up catering to fringe elements years ago. Thank goodness.

I am delighted with Apple's stance, and happy to trade the latest unproved hacks for a solid, virus-free user experience. Today's all time high AAPL price suggests you just don't get it.

Exactly.

If Apple were to allow 3rd party apps when the target is moving so rapidly at the moment, the hue and cry wouldn't be "Apple is a closed system!" it would be "Apple can't write OS's!", and that would call into question their ability as a provider. I can imagine all the phone crashes that Apple would get the blame for if it were 'open' at this time. As it is, I've only had one crash in the time I've had my system, and that was immediately after the last update.

At this point in the product lifecycle, stability > all.
  • Reply 29 of 141
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    I'll be taking a nap. Wake me up when Leopard and the iPhone SDK that accompanies it is released.

Bunch of whiners...
  • Reply 30 of 141
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    *Attention Nintendo:* Brian Lam, an editor at the widely read and Apple "approved" gadget blog, has openly admitted to using a NES emulator - while whining that it's not fair Apple won't let him violate usage contracts and copyright laws. Send your lawyers in for the kill.

you can catch him via the GPS on his new N95... unless the battery is dead because it's been more than 3 1/2 house since he's charged it.

Nokia: "unlocking" cutting edge technology for the United States 12 months after the rest of the world has it.
  • Reply 31 of 141
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Apple should fight back. Voiding a warranty is voiding a warranty. Imagine if other companies allowed service on voided software or hardware warranties. Who would take void warranty warnings seriously?

I doubt very much Nokia's gonna gain from this publicity stunt. In fact, even the hackers know better than to buy a 2nd rate phone.
  • Reply 32 of 141
    tinktink Posts: 395member
    What a bunch of punk knuckle heads

Give me a friggen break. I think there should be a class action lawsuit against the parents for passing on the DNA to the mass of babies I hear crying "my iPhone is broken... because I broke it..... waaa I'm suing"!

That's more infuriating that not being able to load Apps or use another carrier for the thing!!

THE BIG DOWNSIDE OF THE IPHONE IS THAT IT DOES NOT SUPPORT OTHER APPS OR CARRIERS! EVERYONE KNOWS THAT, EVERYONE TALKS AND TALKS AND TALKS ABOUT THAT.

If your savvy enough to be aware of the third party apps, sync up your iphone and go through the install steps then you are well aware of the above statement.

In this day and age every friggen device, every consumer product warranty is void if you mess with it... In this case Apple has said repeatedly, on many occasions, in every reporters interview in probably every review.... THAT YOU CANT" LOAD APPS.
  • Reply 33 of 141
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    This ad campaign will have some influence on the few that do install programs on their cellphones, but for the vast majority of cellphone buyers this has no meaning whatsoever.

It is like the ad campaigns for MP3 players with more features than the iPod...

Tech forums/Blogs/magazines might be full of 3rd party, cracking and what ever info, but they only preach to the selected few.

Tech blog/Forum writers and readers don't seem to realise that they represent only a small, say maybe 2%, of the consumers. The vast majority have no interest in this kind of technical talk, or have no time, or have other, probably more important, things to do.
  • Reply 34 of 141
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Sadly, it's not just Nokia and the N95 that Apple has to worry about... here comes the first of the iPhone clones, the LG VX10000/Voyager (also dubbed the '10K').

Verizon and LG are gonna announce it on Wednesday (with a likely ship date in November or December):

Yep, it's touchscreen (tho' not multitouch), yep, it's 3G, yep it has a real HTML web browser (not WAP). And it opens up into a real QWERTY keyboard, as you can see.

Good as the iPhone? Highly doubt it (tho' it is on a better network, with much better high-speed data coverage).

But it may be 'good enough' to steal significant sales. iPhone price drop was a great counter, definitely helps preempt it, and the wave of other wannabees that'll be following in '08.

• Reply 35 of 141
    I've seen higher quality versions of those billboard adverts and to me they look extremely fake. I work in graphic design and it is extremely odd to have perfect text floating on top a crumpled paper. It looks like a poor mockup but saying that it was a good idea for an advert and nice concept.

Unsure why nokia would use it as a campaign as I have a nokia phone which is locked into my service provider. Just like Apple, you void your warranty with any modifications to the phone such as unlocking. So what's the difference?
  • Reply 36 of 141
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

While Apple likely mulls a response, Nokia and other would-be rivals are sure to be having a field day with this one.

Apple already knows its long term strategy for the iPhone and I doubt cares what its competitors say. Its response will likely only be continued development of the device in its own time frame.
  • Reply 37 of 141
    What this tells me is that a giant phone company like Nokia is scared to death of the iPhone.

I wonder: If openness has been so ingrained in Nokia's philosophy, why don't their products' ease of use and our ease of accessing their full functionality come anywhere close to that of Apple's? Is it that: (a) It is a bogus claim; or (b) That, for all their efforts, 3rd party developers haven't really helped Nokia produce a better interface? If (a), why doesn't the press report that? If (b), why should Apple waste its time with 3rd party apps?

The fact that everyone is taking these desperate potshots at Apple tells me that, for all the nay-saying and (increasingly fashionable) badmouthing, the iPhone is truly a revolutionary product that is shaking the foundations of both the manufacturers and developers in its industry.
  • Reply 38 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Yeah, I doubt it.

Apple provides all the info needed AND SDK's for Mac OS X. Your assertions fail to consider the facts. Apple not only allows 3rd party development, it freely facilitates it.

http://developer.apple.com/

http://developer.apple.com/sdk/

I've considered ALL of the facts, including Job's history from way back in the early '80's.

I didn't say that there isn't good development for the Mac. I said that if Jobs had his druthers, he wouldn't allow it. Obviously he knows he has no choice.
  • Reply 39 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Sadly, it's not just Nokia and the N95 that Apple has to worry about... here comes the first of the iPhone clones, the LG VX10000/Voyager (also dubbed the '10K').

The N95 just got a pretty bad review in Consumers.
  • Reply 40 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

In paragraph 4, wrecked should be wreaked.

you know that's not a word? the one you're replacing it with?

look here! hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=define%3A+wr eaked&btnG=Search