Nokia launches anti-iPhone campaign amid controversy

Comments

• Reply 81 of 141
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    In an effort to keep this thread off topic here's Apples Dictionary definition.

wreak |r?k|

verb [ trans. ]

cause (a large amount of damage or harm) : torrential rainstorms wreaked havoc yesterday | the environmental damage wreaked by ninety years of phosphate mining.

? inflict (vengeance) : he was determined to wreak his revenge on the girl who had rejected him.

? archaic avenge (someone who has been wronged) : grant me some knight to wreak me for my son.

DERIVATIVES wreaker

noun

ORIGIN Old English wrecan [drive (out), avenge,] of Germanic origin; related to Dutch wreken and German rächen; compare with wrack 4 , wreck , and wretch .

USAGE The phrase wrought havoc, as in: they wrought havoc on the countryside, is an acceptable variant of wreaked havoc. Here, wrought is an archaic past tense of work. It is not, as is sometimes assumed, a past tense of wreak.

In an effort to keep this thread on topic

Hacking the iPhone at the momement is an individual decision one should make knowing going in that they may end up with a brick.

I expect Apple to allow third party apps on the iPhone at some point, after all the iPhone is based on OS X. It will happen, but only when Apple feels comfortable allowing it.
  • Reply 82 of 141
    gizmo-xlgizmo-xl Posts: 142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

I expect Apple to allow third party apps on the iPhone at some point, after all the iPhone is based on OS X. It will happen, but only when Apple feels comfortable allowing it.

I don't see it anytime soon! Apple is a software company also and I think they are going to try very hard to keep these new touch devices closed to only Apple software. If they do this they will have a much bigger profit center, and like so many people have said it's all about money right????

When you think about charging for OS-X upgrades on a regular basis for millions of units or selling $9.99 - $19.99 application through iTunes or application subscriptions you are going to be dealing with hundreds of millions in dollars in added sales every year.

Look the future is going to be touch based notebook/tablet computers and these current devices are just setting the stage for what is about to come, and Apple is going to want to own that market for along time before it starts to share it with 3rd party vendors.
  • Reply 83 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2director View Post

I have absolutely no problem with Apple making life hard for people who have unlocked their iPhones to run on a non-AT&T network. AT&T has made concessions to Apple to make the iPhone what it is (ie, developing visual voicemail, beefing up the EDGE network, developing the innovative iTunes activation process...not to mention sharing subscriber revenues with Apple) and it's fair that Apple protect AT&T's investment in the iPhone for the 2 or 5 year exclusivity period (whatever it really is). That's honest and fair business.

But I *can't stand* Apple's attempt to discourage third-party development. There are TONS of gaps in the Iphone experience that Apple is being glacially slow in addressing. I have no To Do application for my phone. I can't play games on it. I can't record voice notes. Etc. etc. etc. It's been more than 3 months since the iPhone launched, and all Apple has provided is the WiFi iTunes store, which I personally don't need, and which really serves Apple as much as its customers because it lets Apple sell more music.

There's a saying that goes "Lead, follow or get out of the way." When it comes to app development for the iPhone, Apple is clearly not leading. If it won't lead, then it needs to make room for others...

I beg to differ. AT&T and every telecom carrier is constantly in upgrade mode for their networks. While the iPhone deal with Apple may provide incentives or a schedule for such upgrades, they would happen with or without the iPhone in due course.

The iPhone mess, and that is what this has turned into, demonstrates pure greed and lack of customer appreciation on the parts of AT&T and Apple. Funny how two of the most respected companies in technology have become so obnoxious to their customers.

Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile - this is your opportunity to demonstrate your ability to innovate and provide good customer relations.

As for the 3rd party apps, I wonder what the suits at Apple are even thinking. They deserve the negative backlash and class action lawsuits that emerge.
  • Reply 84 of 141
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunbow

I think there is a lot in what you say. And those unlocking their phones are clearly going on a serious excursion from the clearly laid out agreement to go with AT&T. However, Apple have hinted that third-party development is not necessarily a bad thing. Moreover, Apple must be reasonable and proportionate and should continue to aspire to be at the top of customer care and service. Thus Apple (allegedly) telling people to buy another iPhone because they had the temerity to install some other piece of functionality on their iPhone is too harsh. Apple should offer a 'factory state' reversion service for say $10 at their Apple Stores. Then everyone is happy and people will have had the conditions of sale made clear, they will not have lost the entire value of their iPhone and Apple will not be out of pocket!

You don't feel the condition of sale is clear? Where have you been?

Apple doesn't support 3rd party apps on the iPhone. It also won't send the cops after you if you decide to try to modify the presently closed platform it offers. You can open it up, slag it with a soldering iron, bake it in a microwave, etc. It's your device. HOWEVER - If you modify your device to the point where an Apple supported update would prevent operation, then you're on your own.

You aren't being forced to implement any update, you aren't forced to do anything. Do, or do not. It's your choice.

Just know that if you do use the update on a phone that hasn't had the code modified to change the operation and it breaks, Apple will stand behind their device and repair it for you under warranty. If you have modified the code on the device you don't have that protection.

If you want the protection, don't hack your phone.

Now, if you want to argue that Apple hasn't said CLEARLY and EXACTLY that, then show me the link. Just don't start arguing some lame crap about how the word "wreak" is used. People on internet forums have a habit of starting arguments about semantics when their logic fails...saving face, I suppose.

And by 'semantics" I mean: "the language used to achieve a desired effect on an audience", just to make myself clear.

By the way, where's personal responsibility in this? You don't want your phone bricked, get all over the asses of the guys that wrote the crappy software that broke it. Hold the so-called "iPhone dev team" and the others responsible for their crappy code that results in your phone being bricked. It worked when you took it from the box from Apple 'till you installed that crud.

Seems simple enough. I don't think Apple could have made it any simpler.

They don't want their 'Macs' 'unlocking' on AMD processors or 3rd party tat either. It's their stuff. Up to them, I guess.

3rd party develop. Hmm. Again, up to them. It's their party. Do we really want virus and trojan crap on it?

Maybe a kind of 'approved' 3rd party vendor set up may work. ie going through Apple. But we didn't have this debate on the iPod.

It's a phone. Not a computer.

Wait for the PDA. It's probably coming.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 85 of 141
    As for Nokia?

You can smell the fear.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 86 of 141
    Let's see, another potential lawsuit.

Users who were warned that doing something could screw up their phone and void their warranty did it anyway, and it screwed up their phone and voided their warranty. Yeah, THAT's going to have a good shot.

• Reply 87 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

It isn't wrong. It's just, as the lexicographers like to say, "fallen out of favor".

It was your use of the word "wrong" that had me fooled, I guess. I did get in touch with my copy editor over at Simon & Schuster, and they said that it, actually, hadn't fallen out of favor - and they felt it was six-of-one, half-a-dozen of another. Like all grammar and language, it's a matter of "shared consent."
  • Reply 88 of 141
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gizmo-xl View Post

I don't see it anytime soon! Apple is a software company also and I think they are going to try very hard to keep these new touch devices closed to only Apple software. If they do this they will have a much bigger profit center, and like so many people have said it's all about money right????

When you think about charging for OS-X upgrades on a regular basis for millions of units or selling $9.99 - $19.99 application through iTunes or application subscriptions you are going to be dealing with hundreds of millions in dollars in added sales every year.

Look the future is going to be touch based notebook/tablet computers and these current devices are just setting the stage for what is about to come, and Apple is going to want to own that market for along time before it starts to share it with 3rd party vendors.

You very well could be right and I may indeed be wrong. However, there is and will be competition from other cell phone manufacturers that most certainly will allow, if not promote, 3rd party apps.
  • Reply 89 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

It was your use of the word "wrong" that had me fooled, I guess. I did get in touch with my copy editor over at Simon & Schuster, and they said that it, actually, hadn't fallen out of favor - and they felt it was six-of-one, half-a-dozen of another. Like all grammar and language, it's a matter of "shared consent."

When it comes to language, not everyone is on the same track. Some lead, and some lag.
  • Reply 90 of 141
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

As for Nokia?

You can smell the fear.

Of course. I know someone who works in Motorola's cellphone division, and back in January when the iPhone was first demo'd, the first reaction was "Huh?!?" followed by a collective crapping of their pants. I'm sure Nokia's reaction wasn't too different.

That said, fear is GOOD. Gets you off your ass, makes you start innovating. Nokia's fear is great, if it translates into good, competitive products showing up to take on the iPhone. I think it will.

• Reply 91 of 141
    mzaslovemzaslove Posts: 519member
    Quote:

When it comes to language, not everyone is on the same track. Some lead, and some lag.

Hardly. Some accept and some don't. There are no "leaders" in language. What's avant-garde for some is simply "street" for others. Leaders? It's a stew, not a horse race. Always has been, just go hunt through something like the Oxford English dictionary. Naw, of all the writers, editors, English professors and etymologists I've worked with, there's never been anyone claiming they've been a "leader" in language. It's simply the ability to communicate in the most universal fashion.

But, this is off-topic....
  • Reply 92 of 141
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meh 2 View Post

Schlemiel: "See - that's the problem! McLaren tries to engineer everything on their Formula 1 cars and I'm just not going to buy one until they allow 3rd party parts or begin using third party parts!!"

But I've a lathe and a welding torch. Why can't I modify my iPhone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

As for Nokia?

You can smell the fear.

They can probably smell my money if Apple are going to continue with shitty products and behaviour like the new iMacs and the iPhone.

I'm hoping Jobs is just about to write one of those Open Letters where we instantly forget what a shit he's been previously.
  • Reply 93 of 141
    Well, hold my tongue on the whole VX10000 announcement being tomorrow. Turns out that the phones on Verizon's teaser site may be released only one at a time, in the order they appear on the site. And the VX10K is the last phone on the site.

Therefore, there may be no official announcement 'bout it 'til it releases in November or December. The first 'iPhone clone' will remain in the shadows... unless ya know where to look for info.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...1&postcount=35

• Reply 94 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Hardly. Some accept and some don't. There are no "leaders" in language. What's avant-garde for some is simply "street" for others. Leaders? It's a stew, not a horse race. Always has been, just go hunt through something like the Oxford English dictionary. Naw, of all the writers, editors, English professors and etymologists I've worked with, there's never been anyone claiming they've been a "leader" in language. It's simply the ability to communicate in the most universal fashion.

But, this is off-topic....

By leading, I don't mean "correctness". I mean that some catch on to where things are going more quickly than others as the language evolves.

But you are right, this is off-track.
  • Reply 95 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

But I've a lathe and a welding torch. Why can't I modify my iPhone?

Well, I tried to open someone's aluminum iPod with my plasma, but it didn't work.\

I couldn't even find the Nano when I was through.

Don't know why. I cut 12.5mm steel with it.
  • Reply 96 of 141
    Quote:

By leading, I don't mean "correctness". I mean that some catch on to where things are going more quickly than others as the language evolves.

But you are right, this is off-track.

Gee, ya think?

• Reply 97 of 141
    Having owned 2 Nokia smartphones in EUROPE I can comfortably say Apple has nothing to fear from Nokia. Nokia just crams tech specs into it's phones but they don't really work well. Sure I installed applications. Biggus Dealus! They hardly worked either. Nokia wifi is like one of those supra 2400 baud modems. And finally with the iPhone breathing down their neck they release a mac application. So go ahead and buy a Nokia and make my day! Fool!!
  • Reply 99 of 141
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    It was just a matter of time before someone would come out with the consummate iPhone killer - and that someone turned out to be Apple!

Well, as they say in the electronics business, if you don't eat your young, somebody else will...
  • Reply 100 of 141
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

They can probably smell my money if Apple are going to continue with shitty products and behaviour like the new iMacs and the iPhone.

lol, just because you don't like something doesn't make it 'shitty'. i quite love the new 24" iMac i'm typing this on. sales figures would suggest many many ppl don't feel the iPhone is "shitty" as well.

as Sunbow said: "you aren't forced to do anything. Do, or do not. It's your choice". your choice is not to buy, i presume. fair enough. if you choose to buy, and choose to hack (or rather, break the terms of the contract), stiff cheddar... that's not apple's fault.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by help4mac

Biggus Dealus!...

Biggus Dickus' lesser-known younger brother, i presume?! and i agree on the assessment of nokia phones, btw...