Nokia launches anti-iPhone campaign amid controversy

Comments

• Reply 41 of 141
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

The N95 just got a pretty bad review in Consumers.

I dunno... over at PhoneScoop, they sure seem to love it:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/use...php?phone=1065

In any case, there's two N95s... the old one, and the new 8GB black model. The new one would hopefully improve some of whatever Consumer's didn't like about the old one.

However, the N95 isn't touchscreen, the VX10K is... and it's also 3G. I'd worry more about the latter phone than the former, at least in the US.

The N95 (both models) is 3G in Europe, though.

• Reply 42 of 141
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Exactly.

If Apple were to allow 3rd party apps when the target is moving so rapidly at the moment, the hue and cry wouldn't be "Apple is a closed system!" it would be "Apple can't write OS's!", and that would call into question their ability as a provider. I can imagine all the phone crashes that Apple would get the blame for if it were 'open' at this time. As it is, I've only had one crash in the time I've had my system, and that was immediately after the last update.

At this point in the product lifecycle, stability > all.

Actually, this is pretty accurate. A week before Apple pushed out 1.1.1, I ran a full restore on my iPhone because I kept crashing due to third party apps. (I'm thinking it was Summerboard, but who knows.) I never bothered to reinstall the apps as a kind of test of stability. A week and no crashes later, Apple released their update. My phone runs better now.
  • Reply 43 of 141
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    From the Oxford dictionary:

wreak |r?k| verb [ trans. ]

? cause (a large amount of damage or harm) : torrential rainstorms wreaked havoc yesterday | the environmental damage wreaked by ninety years of phosphate mining.

? inflict (vengeance) : he was determined to wreak his revenge on the girl who had rejected him.

Just because Google couldn't find it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...
  • Reply 44 of 141
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Ok, Nokia says "What it does is up to you" where Apple says kind of like "when it's from Apple we guarantee you a great user experience." The two approaches are so different so it's hard to even try to compare them.

At some point I hope Apple opens up the mobile OS X on all handsets where it's available.. We'll probably see this first on a handset that is not locked to an operator.. like a future PDA, or the iPod KING or whatever.
  • Reply 45 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

you know that's not a word? the one you're replacing it with?

look here! hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=define%3A+wr eaked&btnG=Search

saw someone else found the present tense...

this site also provides you with optional suffixes, including -ed.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wreaked
  • Reply 46 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontlookleft View Post

you know that's not a word? the one you're replacing it with?

look here! hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&q=define%3A+wr eaked&btnG=Search

The word is actually "wreak". No "ed" at the end.
  • Reply 47 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonessodarally View Post

saw someone else found the present tense...

this site also provides you with optional suffixes, including -ed.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/wreaked

Wreaked is not considered to be correct useage though.

The proper use is "to wreak".

Similar to "fun". "so fun" as we see today is also incorrect, though now I'm seeing that in some online dictionaries.
  • Reply 48 of 141
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antr0 View Post

At least the iPhone will do 98% of what it says it will.

But still only 30% of what a Nokia does before you even add 3rd party software.
  • Reply 49 of 141
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    http://forums.thestranger.com/archiv...php/t-986.html

The reason 'wreaked' sounds okay to say is because the word 'reeked' is indeed a real word and sounds identical.

The past tense of wreak is actually wrought, although spell check seems to be okay with 'wreaked' as well. Go figure.
  • Reply 50 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I dunno... over at PhoneScoop, they sure seem to love it:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/use...php?phone=1065

In any case, there's two N95s... the old one, and the new 8GB black model. The new one would hopefully improve some of whatever Consumer's didn't like about the old one.

However, the N95 isn't touchscreen, the VX10K is... and it's also 3G. I'd worry more about the latter phone than the former, at least in the US.

The N95 8GB is 3G in Europe, though.

Nokia don't really do touch screens although they've shown iPhone like prototypes now. For touch screens you buy Sony Ericsson UIQ phones. Same OS underneath as the Nokias but with a better UI and touch screen.

Both Nokia's S60 and SE's UIQ suffer from a UI that seems to have evolved over time in many bad ways as well as good ones. And recently with Symbian OS 9.0 under them, they've been buggy as hell and gradually leak RAM. Unless the phones have a considerable amount of main RAM built in they have a tendency to restart themselves to gain it back. It's getting better but IME Symbian OS 7.0 was better as that used 'Execute in place' and ran with a lot less RAM.

I used an iPod Touch last week in the Apple Store in Manchester. I wasn't impressed as much as I hoped to be although it's even more feature light than the iPhone. Now this. Looks like I'm sticking with my old SE P910i for a third year although I might give the P1i a look. Sorry Apple, This sucks.
  • Reply 51 of 141
    Quote:

I didn't say that there isn't good development for the Mac. I said that if Jobs had his druthers, he wouldn't allow it. Obviously he knows he has no choice.

He has no choice with the iPhone either. He just hasn't worked that out yet.
  • Reply 52 of 141
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:

I've considered ALL of the facts, including Job's history from way back in the early '80's.

I didn't say that there isn't good development for the Mac. I said that if Jobs had his druthers, he wouldn't allow it. Obviously he knows he has no choice.

You apparently just refuse to consider that when Jobs makes tools and info available for free to the folks to use to develop on the OS X platform it means he supports it.

It's a long haul from not having a choice in a matter of 3rd party developers to helping them with free info and tools. Apple took that trip under the direction of Jobs, and from what I hear of the man, if he didn't want to take that trip, it wouldn't have been made.
  • Reply 53 of 141
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

Nokia don't really do touch screens

Yah, but obviously they'll start, prolly sometime in '08. Can't let the iPhone go unchecked.

• Reply 54 of 141
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Yeah! I immediately thought "what a slutty phone," when I read that!

I think the problem most people have is that the iPhone's legs are firmly shut! (And those who have raped them don't want to be held accountable)

I'm not going for a second hand iPhone, it's only been out a few months & there's too much emotional baggage.

McD
  • Reply 55 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doxxic View Post

Am I the only one who automatically fills in "viruses", "contagious", "slut", etc etc when reading "open to anything"?

I read "We can't write our own software - let's hope someone else can!"

OK, yours is funnier!

McD
  • Reply 56 of 141
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On one hand, Nokia allows third party software, on the other hand, it's still Nokia.

precisely! i just got a new nokia (6120) after several years of swearing 'never again', simply as a stop-gap 3G solution to tide me over till the iPhone comes to antipodean shores. it has a lot of 'nifty' features but is very clunky in terms of usability, especially after the simplicity of my old NEC i-mode phone.
  • Reply 57 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

iPhone doesn't do everything that other phones do but there is no other phone that does everything that iPhone does either. If iPhone doesn't do something you need, don't buy it, or go complain to Nokia that their phone doesn't run iTunes, etc.

Say that first sentence several times very quickly! - It's like Bilbo Baggins' exit speech in Fellowship of the Ring! You're an evil person!
  • Reply 58 of 141
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

The N95 just got a pretty bad review in Consumers.

and i believe popular mechanics or popular science....n95 bad, they rated the blackjack and treo 2nd and 3rd to iphone.
  • Reply 59 of 141
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    All I can say is that I hope these suits go through and Apple gets hammered good. Apple has simply operated outside the boundaries of fairness and respectable behavior, with its brick a matic update program.

It is unfortunate that there is not viable competition for the iPhone at the moment. I suspect that that is one reason why people are not even more upset with this move.

Dave
  • Reply 60 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

On one hand, Nokia allows third party software, on the other hand, it's still Nokia.

Brave words but you know a Symbian-fan frequents these boards. Probably spell-checking a vast response with hyperlinked references as I post.

McD