Nokia launches anti-iPhone campaign amid controversy

Comments

• Reply 61 of 141
    yakkowyakkow Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

http://forums.thestranger.com/archiv...php/t-986.html

The reason 'wreaked' sounds okay to say is because the word 'reeked' is indeed a real word and sounds identical.

The past tense of wreak is actually wrought, although spell check seems to be okay with 'wreaked' as well. Go figure.

Uhhhh... did you read the link you posted? That page features explanations of why wreaked is correct after someone (incorrectly) claims it's wrong.

"Wrought" is incorrect as a past tense of "wreak." "Wreaked" is correct.
  • Reply 62 of 141
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Apple can't officially support 3rd-party apps this soon, even if they wanted to. (It's nothing to do with a "closed attitude.") The OS is young and changing and apps are going to break unless Apple refuses to evolve their platform. But some time--maybe in 3 months? 6?--the platform will be stabilized and Apple can start to offer official developer tools. Let's hope they do so.

Officially support? Maybe they can't do it quite yet. Officially allow? Of course. They'd just need to open up some interfaces and provide a way to load your software on the phone (simplest option would be to just allow full access to the phone memory). If the interfaces were crappy, not guaranteed to stay stable, etc., certainly many people would not hurry to develop for the thing, but at the same time many could start working.

Even with something as inconsequential as World of Warcraft, there is massive scripting and add-on work done and used by hobbyists despite that the scripting interfaces have undergone some major changes, there is no guarantee of them staying stable, etc.

Provide a restore functionality that really takes the whole phone back to bit-identical original state, and it's safe to tinker.
  • Reply 63 of 141
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Don't forget the Nokia N700 and N800 Internet tablets, open Linux-based.
  • Reply 64 of 141
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    You can say wreaked. As in "Apple wreaked havoc on iPhone developers by destroying their platform."

http://onlinedictionary.datasegment.com/word/wreaked
  • Reply 65 of 141
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

All I can say is that I hope these suits go through and Apple gets hammered good. Apple has simply operated outside the boundaries of fairness and respectable behavior, with its brick a matic update program.

sorry, that made me literally laugh out loud.
  • Reply 66 of 141
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aegisdesign View Post

He has no choice with the iPhone either. He just hasn't worked that out yet.

We hope that's true.
  • Reply 67 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

You apparently just refuse to consider that when Jobs makes tools and info available for free to the folks to use to develop on the OS X platform it means he supports it.

It's a long haul from not having a choice in a matter of 3rd party developers to helping them with free info and tools. Apple took that trip under the direction of Jobs, and from what I hear of the man, if he didn't want to take that trip, it wouldn't have been made.

You seem to think that just because he understands that a computer needs programs, he's happy about it.

You're mistaking need with desire.
  • Reply 68 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YakkoW View Post

Uhhhh... did you read the link you posted? That page features explanations of why wreaked is correct after someone (incorrectly) claims it's wrong.

"Wrought" is incorrect as a past tense of "wreak." "Wreaked" is correct.

Wreaked is considered to be wrong.
  • Reply 69 of 141
    Anybody know if there will be an i-Phone for X-Mas with > 8Gb memory?
  • Reply 70 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Wreaked is considered to be wrong.

I keep seeing this (and none of my copy editors are up this late to ask): "The past tense and past participle of wreak is wreaked, not wrought, which is an alternative past tense and past participle of work."

So why is "wreaked" considered wrong?

Just curious. Personally, I'd find a better word myself, or a better phrase than "wreaked" and/or "wrought" havoc -- very cliche.
  • Reply 71 of 141
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I'll be taking a nap. Wake me up when Leopard and the iPhone SDK that accompanies it is released.

Bunch of whiners...

lol! The greasemonkeys that are used to having their way with ordinary Carnot engines are railing at the bleak prospects associated with prying the hood open and being confronted with a McLaren powertrain.

Schlepwrench McGuirk: "Can't wait to bolt this turbo onto this . . .uh . . . what's this thing in the way?! Here - hand me that hammer!"

Bean: "Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! That would be a Formula 1 factory spec blower."

Schlemiel: "See - that's the problem! McLaren tries to engineer everything on their Formula 1 cars and I'm just not going to buy one until they allow 3rd party parts or begin using third party parts!!"

(sigh)
  • Reply 72 of 141
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Apple can do whatever they want with their product, just like any other company. It was well known that the iPhone did not officially support third-party applications. Apple wants the phone to be stable. Poorly written third-party apps can compromise that.

Just because you cannot install your own applications, doesn't give you the right to sue a company claiming they are being unfair. Boo-hoo. Just because you buy something, doesn't mean the product has to do what YOU demand it to do, even when it wasn't even designed for that purpose.

Honda and BMW make cars. The BMW offers more features than the Honda. You don't see people suing Honda demanding that their cars be outfitted just like a BMW. If you don't like what the iPhone offers, don't buy it. Find another phone that meets your needs.

Apple made it clear what the limitations were for the iPhone. You were not cheated, you were not ripped off. You knew what it could do, and what it could not do. Any lawsuit about this has no merit.
  • Reply 73 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post

Anybody know if there will be an i-Phone for X-Mas with > 8Gb memory?

Yeah, we all know, but we promised Steve that we wouldn't tell.
  • Reply 74 of 141
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

I keep seeing this (and none of my copy editors are up this late to ask): "The past tense and past participle of wreak is wreaked, not wrought, which is an alternative past tense and past participle of work."

So why is "wreaked" considered wrong?

Just curious. Personally, I'd find a better word myself, or a better phrase than "wreaked" and/or "wrought" havoc -- very cliche.

It isn't wrong. It's just, as the lexicographers like to say, "fallen out of favor".
  • Reply 75 of 141
    Apple's firmware update could have easily detected hacked and unlocked iPhones before installation and said, "Sorry, you have violated your warranty. No more updates for you. Have a nice day." That would have been the civilized way to handle this. Instead Apple decided to "teach their users a lesson" and destroy their iPhones. That's just disgusting to me, and I have an iPhone and I love Apple computers, so this is a real shame.

The iPhone really is just a hand-held finger computer. All you people who are defending Apple's malicious actions would be pissed as hell if they disabled your Mac because you installed some software on it that Apple Corporate didn't like.
  • Reply 76 of 141
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I think Jobs has been secretly replaced by Gordon Geko, because Apple of late seems to be operating strictly under the 'greed is good' philosophy.

No longer is it about giving the consumers the best possible devices with the concomitant best possible user experience. Now it is configure everything in such a way as to extract as much money as possible from the consumer and business partners.

Our profit comes before your user experience.
  • Reply 77 of 141
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    My guess is Apple will allow third party apps, especially when you have At&T saying they are fine and ask Apple why the iPhone doesn't have them. However, I do think you'll see a iPhone store and all the applications will need to be certified by Apple and the developers will have to pay for placement on the iPhone.
  • Reply 78 of 141
    sunbowsunbow Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

Exactly.

If Apple were to allow 3rd party apps when the target is moving so rapidly at the moment, the hue and cry wouldn't be "Apple is a closed system!" it would be "Apple can't write OS's!", and that would call into question their ability as a provider. I can imagine all the phone crashes that Apple would get the blame for if it were 'open' at this time. As it is, I've only had one crash in the time I've had my system, and that was immediately after the last update.

At this point in the product lifecycle, stability > all.

I think there is a lot in what you say. And those unlocking their phones are clearly going on a serious excursion from the clearly laid out agreement to go with AT&T. However, Apple have hinted that third-party development is not necessarily a bad thing. Moreover, Apple must be reasonable and proportionate and should continue to aspire to be at the top of customer care and service. Thus Apple (allegedly) telling people to buy another iPhone because they had the temerity to install some other piece of functionality on their iPhone is too harsh. Apple should offer a 'factory state' reversion service for say $10 at their Apple Stores. Then everyone is happy and people will have had the conditions of sale made clear, they will not have lost the entire value of their iPhone and Apple will not be out of pocket!
  • Reply 79 of 141
    imho:

Wreaked is not correct. Wrought is not correct. Wroke is correct.

http://www.lexic.us/definition-of/Wroke

i.e. it should have read:

"the update wroke havoc upon a number unmodified iPhones"

but who cares ? and why ? it's a small article on a web-site for goodness sake.

As for the iphone - i'll buy one when my existing phone dies or if they bring out a flash player for it - whichever is the sooner.
  • Reply 80 of 141
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sunbow View Post

I think there is a lot in what you say. And those unlocking their phones are clearly going on a serious excursion from the clearly laid out agreement to go with AT&T. However, Apple have hinted that third-party development is not necessarily a bad thing. Moreover, Apple must be reasonable and proportionate and should continue to aspire to be at the top of customer care and service. Thus Apple (allegedly) telling people to buy another iPhone because they had the temerity to install some other piece of functionality on their iPhone is too harsh. Apple should offer a 'factory state' reversion service for say $10 at their Apple Stores. Then everyone is happy and people will have had the conditions of sale made clear, they will not have lost the entire value of their iPhone and Apple will not be out of pocket!

You don't feel the condition of sale is clear? Where have you been?

Apple doesn't support 3rd party apps on the iPhone. It also won't send the cops after you if you decide to try to modify the presently closed platform it offers. You can open it up, slag it with a soldering iron, bake it in a microwave, etc. It's your device. HOWEVER - If you modify your device to the point where an Apple supported update would prevent operation, then you're on your own.

You aren't being forced to implement any update, you aren't forced to do anything. Do, or do not. It's your choice.

Just know that if you do use the update on a phone that hasn't had the code modified to change the operation and it breaks, Apple will stand behind their device and repair it for you under warranty. If you have modified the code on the device you don't have that protection.

If you want the protection, don't hack your phone.

Now, if you want to argue that Apple hasn't said CLEARLY and EXACTLY that, then show me the link. Just don't start arguing some lame crap about how the word "wreak" is used. People on internet forums have a habit of starting arguments about semantics when their logic fails...saving face, I suppose.

And by 'semantics" I mean: "the language used to achieve a desired effect on an audience", just to make myself clear.

By the way, where's personal responsibility in this? You don't want your phone bricked, get all over the asses of the guys that wrote the crappy software that broke it. Hold the so-called "iPhone dev team" and the others responsible for their crappy code that results in your phone being bricked. It worked when you took it from the box from Apple 'till you installed that crud.