It's official: Apple to Ship Mac OS X Leopard on October 26

Comments

• Reply 21 of 115
    Leopard isn't shipping on 26 Oct. It's shipping sooner. I was told by the Apple rep that I would RECEIVE it on 26 Oct and that it would ship sooner.
  • Reply 22 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Druth086 View Post

I don't understand why Apple has started to abandon its student discount. This was one of the very things that could make someone their biggest fan. I realize they still have it on computers, but if they are doing this to their software I wouldn't be surprised if they started to reduce it slowly with their hardware. I paid $69 for Tiger and now I'm paying $116 for Leopard? Doesn't make much sense to me. And I know this post will get flack from everyone who is not a student anyway. Sorry. 8-

They are sooo dumb by not hooking kids in school with a cheap taste of OSX. It's good business, ask any drug dealer.
  • Reply 23 of 115
    Hey, I've finally found a use for the Dashboard:

I've installed: http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashb...ardwidget.html

and set it to count down to Leopard.

N.B. Sorry for being such a fanboy. It's disgusting I know.
  • Reply 24 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Druth086 View Post

I don't understand why Apple has started to abandon its student discount. This was one of the very things that could make someone their biggest fan. I realize they still have it on computers, but if they are doing this to their software I wouldn't be surprised if they started to reduce it slowly with their hardware. I paid $69 for Tiger and now I'm paying $116 for Leopard? Doesn't make much sense to me. And I know this post will get flack from everyone who is not a student anyway. Sorry. 8-

I think at least part of the reason Apple has essentially eliminated the steep discounts for students is because the program has been heavily abused in the past, where non-students take advantage of the honor system and use the discount. It's still cheaper than Vista, and cheaper than a lot of text books.
  • Reply 25 of 115
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    I really like the Time Machine box. Looks really coolio!
  • Reply 26 of 115
    Apple has also put up new info on .mac.

It has a great vid on "back to my mac" and "screen sharing": http://www.apple.com/dotmac/backtomymac.html

These two features make the upgrade worth it for me.
  • Reply 27 of 115
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Umm, so what was the "secret" that Jobs spoke of when making the initial OS 10.5 announcement. All, but dropped?
  • Reply 28 of 115
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boss Angeles View Post

For the first time I'm NOT falling for the 1984 hype. After getting hozed by all the malware in iLife 08, and getting high-fived opening night for paying 200 bucks too much for my iPhone, I'll leave the lines and 1.0 kernel panics for others to enjoy. I'm wary of Leopard not changing it's "rush anything to market" spots. The new "quarter to quarter" Wall Street Apple.

Me too. I bought iLife '08 like a good Apple Fan Boy only to wait a while until the iWeb problems got settled...I downloaded the "Firmware" upgrade for my first generation Macbook's Superdrive which bricked the DVD player.

I feel they set a deadline and rushed Leopard only because of such. I am not going to be an Apple Guinea Pig.
  • Reply 29 of 115
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

I'll definitely be buying for my family's iMac G5 iSight, then wait for any information how well it runs on a 1.25 Ghz G4 Powerbook to see if my laptop can handle it. Here's hoping it will run fine on my laptop.

Yeah, I have a 1GHz PB with maxed ram. Anybody beta Leopard with something like this? I know it won't do the cool little things, but I want to know if it is "snappy."

Also, the system requirements for the DVD player include a 1.6GHz processor "for improved de-interlacing." Can I assume that DVD player will still work as well as it does in Tiger for those of us without?

thanx...
  • Reply 30 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by running View Post

I don't know if it was on old Leopard pages, but if you wonder what these "300+ new features" mean, you can read all of them here on the new Leopard pages (some of them are stupid - MOVIE WIDGET! KEWL! - but some of them are suprise to me, such as ODF support in TextEdit )

The 200+ new features in Tiger were mostly lame. Automator was one of the "big eight" advances for Tiger but it's hard to find people that used it or liked using it because it wasn't very good and had very curious feature omissions, like it can append a series of PDFs into one file but there was no command offered to tell it where to save the finished PDF.

"Copy Files Between Mac OS X and Windows"

"Leopard understands the FAT 32 disk standard" WTF!? SO DOES TIGER. And probably every previous revision of OS X for all I know. My CF digital camera does too. That's hardly anything special. I'd be impressed if they had full NTFS read/write support in Leopard.
  • Reply 31 of 115
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    I preordered at ISOHUNT.
  • Reply 31 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Umm, so what was the "secret" that Jobs spoke of when making the initial OS 10.5 announcement. All, but dropped?

It may be like what happed with vista delays pushed it back.
  • Reply 33 of 115
    Well I'm siked for the release. I'll be at the Leopard World Premiere from 6-10 p.m. :-)
  • Reply 34 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Yeah, I have a 1GHz PB with maxed ram. Anybody beta Leopard with something like this? I know it won't do the cool little things, but I want to know if it is "snappy."

Also, the system requirements for the DVD player include a 1.6GHz processor "for improved de-interlacing." Can I assume that DVD player will still work as well as it does in Tiger for those of us without?

It sounds like they are still relying on software to do deinterlacing and likely, decoding too. It's too bad they can't use the hardware that's in the graphics chip to do that. All that fancy CoreImage and CoreVideo frameworking and they can't use that for the deinterlacing.
  • Reply 35 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

you already saw them.
  • Reply 36 of 115
    Anyone else notice that they wiped the OS X Tiger page off of the Apple website? Kinda sad haha.
  • Reply 37 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrpiddly View Post

you already saw them.

I don't think so. People have been asking what the secret features were for some time and no one has specifically stated anything that wasn't shown in the original Leopard presentation.
  • Reply 38 of 115
    Still looks inconsistent to me. The new Mail buttons suck, the Dock divider thingy isn't in the proper perspective and WHY ARE WE STILL STUCK WITH THOSE UGLY AQUA SCROLLBARS?!!
  • Reply 39 of 115
    hi i want to buy macbook pro but its still selling with tiger. any idea when leopard will start coming preinstalled?
  • Reply 40 of 115
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This is good

Quote:

# AutoFS

Automatically mount and dismount network filesystems on separate threads to improve responsiveness and reliability.

No more Finder hangs on network disconnect, I take it.