It's official: Apple to Ship Mac OS X Leopard on October 26

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 115
    rolsrols Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

How in the world did you ever come to such a ludicrous conclusion based on reading (not exploring) the list of features and obviously your only Mac experience comes from using a 'pretty old' G4?

I really don't think you know what you are talking about.

you don't huh. Let's see I have 4 macs now and the G4 is the oldest one of them and is the first one getting replaced. I just think if apple had spent less time on fluff like youtube and address sync with yahoo! and just concentrated on the things I agree are great, like threaded mounts, resolution independene .. we could have all had leopard ages ago.
  • Reply 102 of 115
    I apologize if someone has already posted on this - I didn't feel like reading all 106 comments - but what does the phrase "Delivers on October 26th" mean? Does this mean that pre-orders will arrive at people's homes by the 26th? Ships by the 26th? Arrives in stores by the 26th? I hope it's not like the iPod Touch where Pre-orders arrive two weeks after the stores get it
  • Reply 103 of 115
    You will get it on the 26th.
  • Reply 104 of 115
    does anyone know the email for customer support? I think i'm gonna make a complain and try to get a free version. I'd say in my situation being that i ordered it the 8th of september and recieved it the second of october, i have a 50 50 chance that i'll get a free version.
  • Reply 105 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

does anyone know the email for customer support? I think i'm gonna make a complain and try to get a free version. I'd say in my situation being that i ordered it the 8th of september and recieved it the second of october, i have a 50 50 chance that i'll get a free version.

Try this first.
  • Reply 106 of 115
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Good work the Leopard team!
  • Reply 107 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

I apologize if someone has already posted on this - I didn't feel like reading all 106 comments - but what does the phrase "Delivers on October 26th" mean? Does this mean that pre-orders will arrive at people's homes by the 26th? Ships by the 26th? Arrives in stores by the 26th? I hope it's not like the iPod Touch where Pre-orders arrive two weeks after the stores get it

106 comments? try 906 comments on macrumors.com for the same news! anyway, as far as i know, it reaches your home on 26th. infact some people recd Tiger on wed and thu so the same might happen with leopard.
  • Reply 108 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

When they say "Delivered on the 26th" they mean that they expect the courier to reach your door on the 26th with the box in hand.

However, in Canada at least, there is a disclaimer saying that the delivery promise only applies to major cities - if you're having it shipped to a remote or rural address, it may take longer.
  • Reply 109 of 115
    All the Macheads at my school are getting groups of five to order leopard family pack on the 26th. I am going out to purchase it directly though, at 6 pm!
  • Reply 110 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DoctorGonzo View Post

Try this first.

doesn't work. email?
  • Reply 111 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MonaLisa View Post

I think at least part of the reason Apple has essentially eliminated the steep discounts for students is because the program has been heavily abused in the past, where non-students take advantage of the honor system and use the discount. It's still cheaper than Vista, and cheaper than a lot of text books.

SO WHAT!? Only way I managed to ever convince my parents to finally make the switch was via my student discount! Now they've sworn they'll stay forever! Customers for life, and they know they won't have a discount next time. Even if they did, isn't that still a customer!?

This is a BAD move on Apple's part, and one they've been at for about a year now. First the discount on iPods went, the discount on new Macs started to and keeps going down, and now Leopard.

Bah!
  • Reply 112 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarib View Post

hi i want to buy macbook pro but its still selling with tiger. any idea when leopard will start coming preinstalled?

the guys at the mac store said you should be able to pick up your mac books with leopard preinstalled by monday october 29th. they'll sell off all the mac books with tiger (but attach the leopard CD) first before whipping out the new preloaded mac books.
  • Reply 113 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

All the Macheads at my school are getting groups of five to order leopard family pack on the 26th. I am going out to purchase it directly though, at 6 pm!

Do they all live in the same household? Because if not, they are (probably) violating Apple's licensing for the Family Pack product. It's aimed at 'households' (not schools or business or gangs of youths) with more than one and up to five Macs - it probably only contains one set of disks but five licenses.

They might as well just buy one Single User pack of Leopard and copy it 5 times as that pretty much amounts to the same thing legally (not that I'm advocating they do that!)
  • Reply 114 of 115
    Just in case anyone from the UK is wondering about getting the Up-To-Date disk, see here:

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/uptodate/

Costs £5.95 and is available to anyone who has bought a Mac from the Apple Store or an authorised dealer on or after 1st October.

My employer has got a 24" iMac Extreme on order for me... But I'm not sure when it was ordered. Sometime between 25th September when my boss mentioned in an email he had asked the supplier for a quote, and the 4th October when I sent him an email about the iMac after he had submitted the order.

Looks like I'm playing the wait and see game regarding getting Leopard. Hmmm... and it's been nearly a month now. They went with that supplier rather than Apple Store because they are already on our organisations books as an official supplier, and they supposed to be quicker, though they charge £70 more. But Apple Store says 3 days turnaround on that model.

Doh!
  • Reply 115 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

SO WHAT!? Only way I managed to ever convince my parents to finally make the switch was via my student discount! Now they've sworn they'll stay forever! Customers for life, and they know they won't have a discount next time. Even if they did, isn't that still a customer!?

This is a BAD move on Apple's part, and one they've been at for about a year now. First the discount on iPods went, the discount on new Macs started to and keeps going down, and now Leopard.

Bah!

Without commenting on Macs or iPods, evidence suggests that most school bookstores are selling Leopard at the old $69 price. Apple hasn't apparently said anything to them about charging more for it. The guy I talked to here at the University of Utah didn't even know about the new online pricing..

I wonder if Apple is quietly backing out of online education sales and leaving discounts to the individual school bookstores. Some have speculated that the education discount has been abused, so it might make some sense to leave it to the university to handle those sales, where they can ask for a school ID before they sell something.