It's official: Apple to Ship Mac OS X Leopard on October 26

Comments

• Reply 41 of 115
    Does anyone know if Safari 3 will be out of Beta in Leopard? I haven't read anything Safari.
  • Reply 42 of 115
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Yeah, I have a 1GHz PB with maxed ram. Anybody beta Leopard with something like this? I know it won't do the cool little things, but I want to know if it is "snappy."

I ran the beta on a 1.5Ghz PowerBook G4 with 1GB of RAM. In my experience it ran faster than Tiger. Certainly, the Finder was a lot more responsive.
  • Reply 43 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Me too. I bought iLife '08 like a good Apple Fan Boy only to wait a while until the iWeb problems got settled...I downloaded the "Firmware" upgrade for my first generation Macbook's Superdrive which bricked the DVD player.

I feel they set a deadline and rushed Leopard only because of such. I am not going to be Apple Guinea Pig.

Exactly. iWeb erased my sites on upload and caused huge problems. I think the customers now know more than the employees in the stores too. Scary.
  • Reply 44 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I don't think so. People have been asking what the secret features were for some time and no one has specifically stated anything that wasn't shown in the original Leopard presentation.

Look at the 300 features list.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarib View Post

hi i want to buy macbook pro but its still selling with tiger. any idea when leopard will start coming preinstalled?

That same Friday. If you order it now, it might be delivered with Leopard.
  • Reply 45 of 115
    Duplicate post...

But, Does anyone know how the beta runs on a 1.66 CD Mini w/ 512 ram?
  • Reply 46 of 115
    hi

will leopard include ilife 08 or i have to get it seperately
  • Reply 47 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

What specific special features in that list merit this "Oh, it's so secret and so valuable, we're not going to tell you yet" hype? I'm not talking about the tiny bullet points, but stuff that was "supposed" to be presented along side Time Machine.
  • Reply 48 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gab101 View Post

hi

Only if you buy a new computer.
  • Reply 49 of 115
    I love tiger.. However, I'm gonna test drive leopard first before changing my main system.. So far besides the features, the other good thing I heard is leopard is faster than tiger.

But I'm still excited!!!
  • Reply 50 of 115
    zengazenga Posts: 267member
    welcome to appleinsider sarib !

read the: leopard up-to-date link here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...ly/macbook_pro

Quote:

hi i want to buy macbook pro but its still selling with tiger. any idea when leopard will start coming preinstalled?

• Reply 51 of 115
    welcome to appleinsider!

yes and also includes a copy of windows vista

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gab101 View Post

hi

• Reply 52 of 115
    Quote:

Duplicate post...

But, Does anyone know how the beta runs on a 1.66 CD Mini w/ 512 ram?

i dont know about the processor, but minimum ram usually cause trouble in games

Thats y i never buy anything in a minimum spec unless i have to.
  • Reply 53 of 115
    Quote:

That same Friday. If you order it now, it might be delivered with Leopard.

i really hope u r right Jack but apple website mentions if anyone bought a mac between oct 1 and dec 29 that dsnt hav leopard can get an update for 9.99, so im thinking why would there be a computer after oct 26 without leopard?
  • Reply 54 of 115
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ros3ntan View Post

i dont know about the processor, but minimum ram usually cause trouble in games

Thats y i never buy anything in a minimum spec unless i have to.

Usually buying minimum RAM is a good thing, to use other memory because Apple often charges 2x more for the exact same stick of brand name memory. The mini might be an exception though, it's not that easy to get into.
  • Reply 55 of 115
    Quote:

i really hope u r right Jack but apple website mentions if anyone bought a mac between oct 1 and dec 29 that dsnt hav leopard can get an update for 9.99, so im thinking why would there be a computer after oct 26 without leopard?

It depends on when the computer ships: If you order it now from Apple, but it ships after Oct. 26, then it will come with leopard installed. Ordering it new from a reseller like CDW might get you tiger, depending on when they bought it.

By the way, welcome to the forums!
  • Reply 56 of 115
    Sarib! you're not thinking before posting this replies right?

Here is the explanation for you:

Apple sells millions of computers, thousands have been already sold since october 1st. every mac that comes out of Apple after october 26 will most likely have leopard installed, but all the others that have been sold from any reseller after oct 1st. will be eligible for the $9.99 upgrade. imagine having bought your new mac yesterday and today you get the news that leopard is out by the end of the month and you have to pay $129 more to get you new os..

i hope you get this because appleinsider doesn't have a black board for me to draw it for you...

btw. are you new to mac, if you are welcome to the macaddiction

Quote:

• Reply 57 of 115
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

Leopard isn't shipping on 26 Oct. It's shipping sooner. I was told by the Apple rep that I would RECEIVE it on 26 Oct and that it would ship sooner.

Does that mean if I order an iMac from the Apple online store now, I will receive the iMac with Leopard on 26 Oct?
  • Reply 58 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eduardo View Post

Umm, so what was the "secret" that Jobs spoke of when making the initial OS 10.5 announcement. All, but dropped?

What are you talking about? There was no one secret!

Again, all that Steve originally said was, “There’s some top features to Leopard that we are going to keep close to the vest and not going to show you today. I just want you to know that they are there. We don’t want our friends to start their photocopiers any sooner than they have to, and so we are going to keep a few things secret…” Nothing else.

Notice that he didn't say that they were keeping any secret until the launch! However, since then a number of new features have been disclosed, officially by Apple and other unofficially.

Whether or not any are "top features" is relative. To me, many are…particularly if you take time and seriously look at each of the 300 new features individually (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html). I haven't looked at all of them yet. But from those that I have gotten to, it suggests that many of the questions and concerns raised here have been addressed there.
  • Reply 59 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Does that mean if I order an iMac from the Apple online store now, I will receive the iMac with Leopard on 26 Oct?

• Reply 60 of 115
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    amazon will deliver on 26th?

what is the fastest way to get leopard? going to apple store on 6pm?