It's official: Apple to Ship Mac OS X Leopard on October 26

Comments

• Reply 81 of 115
    this sucks. i recieved my computer on the 2nd of october and ordered it on the 8th of september. I want a free copy.
  • Reply 82 of 115
    time to save up and upgrade my iMac. hopefully i will be ready to buy it by the time 10.5.1 comes out.

My external Lacie 250GB drive never felt so useful before timemachine. Good stuff.
  • Reply 83 of 115
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Owmygod! There seems to be nothing on the Leopard desktop! "Macintosh HD", "iDisk" ? all icons have vanished!

What is this thing of Aqua still being a part of the interface? Aren't all sliders supposed to be like the ones in iTunes?!
  • Reply 84 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rols View Post

Leopard will come on my next macbook, scheduled soon as poor G4 is getting pretty old now and I'll be happy to have it, but I do think Apple can do better with this stuff and not go down the M$ bells and whistles road.

How in the world did you ever come to such a ludicrous conclusion based on reading (not exploring) the list of features and obviously your only Mac experience comes from using a 'pretty old' G4?

I really don't think you know what you are talking about.
  • Reply 85 of 115
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

this sucks. i recieved my computer on the 2nd of october and ordered it on the 8th of september. I want a free copy.

You were close...

Quote:

Any qualifying Macs (or XServes, for 10.5 Server up to date) purchased between October 1 2007 and December 29 2007 that ship with 10.4 Tiger are eligible for a $9.95 US upgrade to Leopard. Visit Apple's Up-to-Date page at http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/ for program details and the necessary forms.

• Reply 86 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

What are you talking about? There was no one secret!

Again, all that Steve originally said was, ?There?s some top features to Leopard that we are going to keep close to the vest and not going to show you today. I just want you to know that they are there. We don?t want our friends to start their photocopiers any sooner than they have to, and so we are going to keep a few things secret?? Nothing else.

Notice that he didn't say that they were keeping any secret until the launch! However, since then a number of new features have been disclosed, officially by Apple and other unofficially.

Whether or not any are "top features" is relative. To me, many are?particularly if you take time and seriously look at each of the 300 new features individually (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html). I haven't looked at all of them yet. But from those that I have gotten to, it suggests that many of the questions and concerns raised here have been addressed there.

im not saying this is top secret but hey did they change the desktop from those green leaves to this stars, galaxy, futuristic theme?
  • Reply 87 of 115
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

What is this thing of Aqua still being a part of the interface? Aren't all sliders supposed to be like the ones in iTunes?!

Say it isn't true! Apple really did a bogus job the water filled sliders are still part of the GUI! Dammit dammit!

We need satin sliders! Like the ones in iTunes! Or no sliders, like the iPhone. Where is this Bas Ording?!
  • Reply 88 of 115
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlackPepper View Post

I will be at the store at 6pm 10/26th.

Why not pre-order from the Apple online store? Then it ships before the 26th, and probably arrives at your home ON the 26th, around lunchtime.

That's my plan. In fact, I've already placed my order!

• Reply 89 of 115
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I can't find any mention of Resolution Independence in the feature list.
  • Reply 90 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I can't find any mention of Resolution Independence in the feature list.

are you sure? http://developer.apple.com/leopard/overview/
  • Reply 91 of 115
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Look at the 300 features list.

Jobs said (I'm paraphrasing) at the expo that there are secret features that are unannounced because they didn't want Microsoft to copy them and that they would be revealed later. I've yet to see them (except maybe ZFS).
  • Reply 92 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarib View Post

im not saying this is top secret but hey did they change the desktop from those green leaves to this stars, galaxy, futuristic theme?

Jobs never said, "Top secret!"
  • Reply 93 of 115
    pomopomo Posts: 51member
    Dude I can't wait.

For those complaining about top secrets and what-not, what exactly were you expecting?

Seriously, I believe that they kept things such as spaces, stacks, and quicklook under wraps just so features like those wouldn't come out on Vista.

I tried downloading some apps that may be comparable to those features for Vista, and they sucked. They were just a total mess. The reason I will buy Leopard is just because of these features. To me, time is money, and to be able to fully view my files such as tons of photos and footage without having to open hog-apps that take so long to open is just a waste.

Don't underestimate Leopard.
  • Reply 94 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokken View Post

Did you read it in the Apple Australian Store? I haven't found any related news on either Australian Store or Norwegian Store or any European Store :S

Sure did.

This link to the Australian store:

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebOb...family/macbook

For me at least, the third link on the bottom of the "Select your MacBook" box is labeled "Leopard Up-to-Date", and when you click it, you get this pop-up:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/Austr...opard_utd.html

AU$12.99 plus sales tax.
  • Reply 95 of 115
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfmorrison View Post

Sure did.

This link to the Australian store:

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebOb...family/macbook

For me at least, the third link on the bottom of the "Select your MacBook" box is labeled "Leopard Up-to-Date", and when you click it, you get this pop-up:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/Austr...opard_utd.html

AU$12.99 plus sales tax.

Yeah, I found it just now, too. Thx for the help
  • Reply 96 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sarib View Post

hi i want to buy macbook pro but its still selling with tiger. any idea when leopard will start coming preinstalled?

If you want to buy it now, you can get it with Tiger, then use the "Up to Date" program and get a Leopard upgrade for $9 (shipping charge).
  • Reply 97 of 115
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

If you want to buy it now, you can get it with Tiger, then use the "Up to Date" program and get a Leopard upgrade for $9 (shipping charge).

Thanks Berzerker but what I really need(ed) to know is when is the soonest I can order a MBP which has Leopard installed on it by Apple from scratch (not upgraded from Tiger). I guess that would be Oct 26?
  • Reply 98 of 115
    Pre-ordered mine. Mad about the education price, but oh well. Waiting sux.
  • Reply 99 of 115
    toxotestoxotes Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boss Angeles View Post

They are sooo dumb by not hooking kids in school with a cheap taste of OSX. It's good business, ask any drug dealer.

Don't they all just download it for free anyway from bittorrent?
  • Reply 100 of 115
    mahkmahk Posts: 25member
    Soo ... when you pre-order Leopard it says that it qualifies for free shipping, and says that it will be delivered on the 26th.

Does that mean it will be at my house on the 26th with the free shipping option, or do I have to upgrade the shipping to FedEx or another option to make that happen?

The checkout process was a little bit unclear about how all this works ...