First builds of Mac OS X 10.5.1 pack over two dozen fixes

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 111
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sjk View Post

You do know "Leo" is commonly associated with a Lion, short for Leonard(o), etc.? Using it as an abbreviation for Leopard is just wrong, especially if Apple decides to use Lion for a future OS X big cat marketing name.

Ocelot might make a good name for the next OS iteration.

It just occurred to me why OS X versions are named after cats. Cat owners know how difficult it is to get a cat to do anything but what the cat wants to do. Isn't that right, Duddits? My daughter gave me a mug with this on it: 'Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.'

I haven't upgraded to Leopard, but I hope that the Trash has something I've wanted: a way to empty specific items and leave the rest. Does it? If not, does anyone know of a 3P utility that can do it?
  • Reply 102 of 111
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

Does it? If not, does anyone know of a 3P utility that can do it?

Not a third party utility:

Terminal
    1. Launch Terminal

2. Type "rm " (without the quotes, there is a space after rm)

3. Open trash in the finder

4. Select the items you want to delete

5. Drag them to the Terminal

6. With Terminal active, press return.

• Reply 103 of 111
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Apple is the best OS maker. They have made a new OS to the best standard humanly possible.

What is your problem with the human race? Do you think Michael Johnson is a slow runner? Do you make a habit of complaining about the best efforts of the human race? Screw that. Apple is doing a great job. You want stability, I suggest a great product called OS X 10.4. You want an experimental new release with some bugs, try 10.5. They are both the best in the world at what they do.

Are you the best at what you do?

Honestly dude. This is probably the worst OS update from Apple most Mac users have ever seen. Most bugs by far anyway. That might be why people like myself that have been using the OS since OS 7 think it's a bit rugged for Apple. Personally I think it's because Avi Tevanian is no longer with the company. It shows. I was hoping that if Steve Jobs ever decided to leave he would take the helm.
  • Reply 104 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

Not a third party utility:

Terminal
    1. Launch Terminal

2. Type "rm " (without the quotes, there is a space after rm)

3. Open trash in the finder

4. Select the items you want to delete

5. Drag them to the Terminal

6. With Terminal active, press return.

Many thanks!
  • Reply 105 of 111
    Thanks, Mr. H
  • Reply 106 of 111
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 300member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Changes I would make in 10.5.1 include....

Well done. I'd add:

8. Return Bluetooth functionality to the Address Book. I cannot understand why this was removed.

9. Allow management of the Finder window left hand pane. I know this might mean that everything isn't iTunesy anymore but seriously, the OS could use a little less teenage glitter.

10. Every time the OS senses an install, permissions should automatically be rebuilt/repaired. Why is this even abandoned to the user base after all these years?

11. Update folders dynamically when the contents get changed. This should have been fixed in Panther, I can't believe it's still on the bug list.

12. Work with printer and scanner manufacturers to expedite support in the OS. It is pathetic and abysmal the lack of driver and software support for these types of peripherals.

13. Get rid of the curvy Stacks penis thing immediately. This cannot be done fast enough.
  • Reply 107 of 111
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Honestly dude. This is probably the worst OS update from Apple most Mac users have ever seen. Most bugs by far anyway. That might be why people like myself that have been using the OS since OS 7 think it's a bit rugged for Apple. Personally I think it's because Avi Tevanian is no longer with the company. It shows. I was hoping that if Steve Jobs ever decided to leave he would take the helm.

Agreed. And its also because Apple Inc's focus is off computers solely now and all tied up with that damn phone and it's whiners.
  • Reply 108 of 111
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squozen View Post

Spaces works just fine with the 10.4-style (and superior) dock.

And how do I do that?
  • Reply 109 of 111
    Quote:

Weren't you one of the people clamoring for Apple to release 10.5 in October rather than pushing the release date back?
  • Reply 110 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

6. The Finder show path bar option is lacking very important functionality in my opinion: It does not allow you to click on any of the items in the path! It requires more mousing if you want to get to a certain spot in the path in the Finder.

You need to double-click the folder in the path bar to select it. I guess they wanted to avoid issues with accidental clicks.
  • Reply 111 of 111
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

I'm no Apple Fan-boy by any means as I run Windows and Macs and develop for Windows and BlackBerry, but as a long time Apple user (since 1990) and a former Apple employee who both used Copland and several horrible 7.x and 8.x OS's, Leopard is the best OS Apple has ever made. It definitely needed another month to polish off (and those who say it needed more simply don't know any better - you'll see with 10.5.1), but the OS itself is awesome. I do wish Stacks was a bit more polished, but the decisions Apple made that you don't like as listed in this thread were done for a very good reason. You may not agree, but you don't know all the facts.