Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 841 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    It's just easier to ignore and move on. I envy your enthusiasm, though.
  • Reply 842 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

It's just easier to ignore and move on. I envy your enthusiasm, though.

Aren't you the one spouting off that HD-DVD is still selling well because it is he lower cost option? Aren't you being a bit of a hypocrite? This is a HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray thread, not Blu-Ray vs DVD thread. Throwing out stats that prove one side is winning THIS battle should come off as fanboyish or childish, throwing around accusations is though. Once the final two studios join and everyone knows this battle is over, the real one begins. Btw, J6P still doesn't know that there is a HD optical format. A heavier marketing strategy is in order. But then again, maybe the studios didn't want to waste money on the wrong format, maybe the marketing will pick up.
  • Reply 843 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Really haven't learned a thing have you? You're still caught up in the chase. Oh well!

If you haven't learnt anything then thats your inability to absorb new information, or a new scenario. It's not up to me to teach you how to learn.
  • Reply 844 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

If you haven't learnt anything then thats your inability to absorb new information, or a new scenario. It's not up to me to teach you how to learn.

Well Walter as it turns out you really are a BR cheerleader and also a bit of a Troll.

How sad!
  • Reply 845 of 2639
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Aren't you the one spouting off that HD-DVD is still selling well because it is he lower cost option? Aren't you being a bit of a hypocrite? This is a HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray thread, not Blu-Ray vs DVD thread. Throwing out stats that prove one side is winning THIS battle should come off as fanboyish or childish, throwing around accusations is though. Once the final two studios join and everyone knows this battle is over, the real one begins. Btw, J6P still doesn't know that there is a HD optical format. A heavier marketing strategy is in order. But then again, maybe the studios didn't want to waste money on the wrong format, maybe the marketing will pick up.

DVDs are part of the equation because if BR is to really win that's who they have to beat!

That's the real competition not HD DVD. That's been the real competition for both formats all along. IF only Walter could see past his need to declare victory. That's not really important now. That is if you want HD home video on some format other than downloading which we've already discussed it's shortcomings.

This whole thing needs a positive spin on it and in a hurry. Walter doesn't realize that the rest of the consuming world views this whole thing differently than your average geek that was into HD before anyone else. Walter thinks that All BR has to do is stay around long enough and it'll be adopted. Well like I said Laser Disc was around for 20 years and didn't make it to anything except nich status.

You have to convince the consumer it's worth while and what I've been trying to get through some of the thicker types here is that making an ugly war or an uglier victory isn't likely to convince them.
  • Reply 846 of 2639
    Quote:

week ending 1/5/08, Blu-ray Disc player sales were at 15,257 units, and HD DVD player sales were at 14,558 units.

week ending 1/12/08 showed Blu-ray Disc increased lead by 42 percent, to 21,770 units sold. HD DVD sales plummeted by 88 percent, to just 1,758

So BD SALES are going UP by unit number (even in Jan) while HD-DVD sales are disappearing. It will get very interesting over the next few weeks/months.

Kind of interesting, but overall HD Player sales are down (if you can really use one week to judge such a thing):

week ending 1/5/08: 29,815

week ending 1/12/08: 23,528

Looks like a 20% overall drop. So is it a win if your fighting over scraps? If the HD player market continues this trend of sales (approximately 30k/week) we are looking at a whopping 1.5 million players sold in a year. Yippie?

What I find very telling is that this is still an enthusiast market. Why? With so few sales in a week, and the fact that a single announcement can lead to such a drastic change tells me J6P hasn't gotten in yet. When the Walmarts/Best Buys of the world look the same before and after "the announcement" and we have such a drastic drop, it is only the well informed enthusiasts that were in the know that it was time to jump ship. This could be good for Blu-Ray, in the sense that most people don't know or care yet. But lets see in 6 months, if player sales pick up at all.
  • Reply 847 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

DVDs are part of the equation because if BR is to really win that's who they have to beat!

That's the real competition not HD DVD. That's been the real competition for both formats all along. IF only Walter could see past his need to declare victory. That's not really important now. That is if you want HD home video on some format other than downloading which we've already discussed it's shortcomings.

This whole thing needs a positive spin on it and in a hurry. Walter doesn't realize that the rest of the consuming world views this whole thing differently than your average geek that was into HD before anyone else. Walter thinks that All BR has to do is stay around long enough and it'll be adopted. Well like I said Laser Disc was around for 20 years and didn't make it to anything except nich status.

You have to convince the consumer it's worth while and what I've been trying to get through some of the thicker types here is that making an ugly war or an uglier victory isn't likely to convince them.

Now it's a DVD war. Nice. A better description would be an evolution at best. Blu-Ray isn't fighting DVD. DVD users are slowly migrating towards the new format. Just like VHS to DVD. It took a few years before DVD sales overcame VHS, and it's obvious that Blu-Ray is selling at a great rate at this point. Not everyone even has a HDTV yet so there is also a dual migration happening right now. Even cable isn't totally broadcast in HD yet, and still Blu Ray is being adopted at a stellar pace. It's selling as fast as DVD did at any rate, and just like DVD did Blu Ray is the new format. Accept it and move on. Your arguing because of your state of denial is pathetic.
  • Reply 848 of 2639
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Now it's a DVD war. Nice. A better description would be an evolution at best. Blu-Ray isn't fighting DVD. DVD users are slowly migrating towards the new format. Just like VHS to DVD. It took a few years before DVD sales overcame VHS, and it's obvious that Blu-Ray is selling at a great rate at this point. Not everyone even has a HDTV yet so there is also a dual migration happening right now. Even cable isn't totally broadcast in HD yet, and still Blu Ray is being adopted at a stellar pace. It's selling as fast as DVD did at any rate, and just like DVD did Blu Ray is the new format. Accept it and move on. Your arguing because of your state of denial is pathetic.

I agree with you. While HD optical media is competing with SD optical media, it wasn't a fight for the next format like HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray was. DVD is certainly still the most popualr, but now that Blu-ray has been all but crowned it only has to wait for the technology to become to cheaper, people to buy better TVs and finally put their DVD players in the same refuse pile or storage closet or garage sale that their VHS player went to. Of course, the faster Blu-ray takes over DVD the faster it recoups it's R&D costs, but we know it's just a matter of time before it reigns supreme.
  • Reply 849 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I agree with you. While HD optical media is competing with SD optical media, it wasn't a fight for the next format like HD-DVD vs. Blu-ray was. DVD is certainly still the most popualr, but now that it's been all but crowned it only has to wait for the technology to become to cheaper, people to buy better TVs and finally put their DVD players in the same refuse pile or storage closet or garage sale that their VHS player went to. Of course, the faster Blu-ray takes over DVD the faster it recoups it's R&D loses, but it knows it's just a matter of time before it reigns.

Exactly! this is STILL the "HD-DVD vs Blu-ray" thread. When there is a "Blu-ray Vs SD-DVD" thread then I think we can worry about SD-DVD.

For the moment BD I just asserting itself as the foremost Hi-Def media, interesting times till May, although if Paramount and/or Universal decide to flee the flooding ferry sooner, then that will also be very interesting.

I'm not overly bothered by the over all reduction in player sales in Jan., its only one week, but the comparison is an interesting 2 weeks, sales for the week BEFORE Warners announcement and sales for the week immediately AFTER. It clearly had an effect. Will that effect continue? Who knows. Will the total sales pick up again? Who knows, but I hope so.

---

Quote:

Today National Geographic released its list for upcoming titles and none appear on the HD DVD format. Instead, their one expected release, Sharkwater, was not found in the HD DVD category. The title is expected to release on 4/8 which is well before that June cutoff. This pretty much notifies the world that National Geographic has made the full switch to covering Blu-ray exclusively.

• Reply 850 of 2639
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Steve Jobs does not agree with you.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22673034

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve Jobs

Also, don't underestimate the power of the new iTunes movie rental service either. I asked Jobs whether this meant the format war between Blu-ray and HD-DVD was over, with Apple the big winner. Clearly, he said, Blu-ray won, but in the new world order of instant online movie rentals, in HD, no one will care about what format is where. Funny how fast tech can move.

I don't give a rip about the "Blu-ray is selling faster than DVD did" the move to DVD was more of a paradigm shift and let's not forget about the uncertaintly about DVD vs Divx. The road to Blu-ray success is going to be much harder now that IPTV and online HD downloads are going to be readily available from multiple sources. I was just in Best Buy yesterday and saw some 720p Plasmas and they looked fantastic running the HD loops. I don't think many consumers will be caught up in 720p vs 1080p.

The next phase of online downloads may encompass a newer codec like h.265 which will likely offer a %50 reduction in bandwidth/datarate as compared h.264 today. Thus 720p at 8-10Mbps could become the norm.
  • Reply 851 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Steve Jobs does not agree with you.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/22673034

I don't give a rip about the "Blu-ray is selling faster than DVD did" the move to DVD was more of a paradigm shift and let's not forget about the uncertaintly about DVD vs Divx. The road to Blu-ray success is going to be much harder now that IPTV and online HD downloads are going to be readily available from multiple sources. I was just in Best Buy yesterday and saw some 720p Plasmas and they looked fantastic running the HD loops. I don't think many consumers will be caught up in 720p vs 1080p.

The next phase of online downloads may encompass a newer codec like h.265 which will likely offer a %50 reduction in bandwidth/datarate as compared h.264 today. Thus 720p at 8-10Mbps could become the norm.

Couldn't agree with you less (and not about the 768p vs 1080p debate), but the average consumer is not tech savvy enough to deal with HD downloading. Technology, computers specifically, make the average person go cross-eyed. I mention gigabytes and that alone is enough to make people look bewildered. People want to walk into a store buy/rent a disc and put it in their player, that's it. I, personally, like to own something tangible, not a digital file. I STILL buy CDs (mind you only for my favourite bands. I have lost songs via HDDs going down and only being able to transfer them so many times (what if you format often?). I know that with my CDs and DVDs I can copy them to my computer but I always have the physically medium there just in case.
  • Reply 852 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Aren't you the one spouting off that HD-DVD is still selling well because it is he lower cost option?

Toshiba announced hardware retail price slash on the 14th of Jan. The reported weekly unit sales number is based on the week after the news of Warner defection which the number was generated from a single week unit sales ending on the 12th of Jan. (which means the world for the blu-ray fans, as shown below)

Quote:

http://www.techspot.com/news/28702-b...ouncement.html

93 % of the market for BD WITHOUT counting the PS3. I'd say that has a chance of "trumping all"

--

week ending 1/5/08, Blu-ray Disc player sales were at 15,257 units, and HD DVD player sales were at 14,558 units.

week ending 1/12/08 showed Blu-ray Disc increased lead by 42 percent, to 21,770 units sold. HD DVD sales plummeted by 88 percent, to just 1,758

BTW, the 90% of the Blu-Ray standalone unit sales for week above is from free blu-ray player promo with HDTV purchases.

http://www.betanews.com/article/prin...nth/1201203983

Quote:

Btw, J6P still doesn't know that there is a HD optical format. A heavier marketing strategy is in order. But then again, maybe the studios didn't want to waste money on the wrong format, maybe the marketing will pick up.

This is the exact status of the current Hidef optical format war. The HDM market is a niche, which means it's still a tech geeks' format. Therefore, whatever happens to either/both formats, it has no detrimental effect on the business of the supporters(both winning or losing) since HDM makes very small number of sales on hardwares and softwares for all the supporters involved. As long as the hardwares continue to be available in the niche scale, it will remain niche whether blu-ray or even hd-dvd make more hardware or software sales.

This is where things can get interesting in the niche market. Since the market is so small, the scale can tip by any news at any time (as shown with Warner's Defection). In the contrary, as long as one competing party is willing to continue the war, it will not stop in the niche. We have seen such precedence with LD market. The LD helped compete with VHS and also helped dvd technology evolve, but due to the higher end price and high-end status of the software and the hardware, it remained a successful niche for a very long time.

I hope the current HDM market does not relive the LD scenario, but if the premium hardware and software price continues, it is going to mimic the path of LD. More specific, if/when/even Blu-ray technology gains better traction, it will more likely remain as successful PS3 movie format if the software and hardware retail prices remain much higher than SD-DVD solution. I'll be more than happy to see either of the HDM format succeed, but I really like to see the winner as a optical movie media successor, not just in a niche market. Hence, I would much prefer the true SD-DVD contender to be the successor. And for the current business model, HD-DVD is the one. Let me know when/if Blu-Ray adopts such business model. When/if blu-ray business model does focus for the mass scale, I'll be the first to get in line for the blu-ray fan club.
  • Reply 853 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Circuit City Dropping HD DVD?

http://www.1080living.com/modules.ph...article&sid=17

Next up....Best Buy?

BTW, it doesn't suprise me that those who still or previously supported HD DVD are now all giddy in regards to downloads all of a sudden...can't be wrong...no, no, no...must spin, spin some more, and then be found wrong again when Blu-ray becomes the de facto standard just as some of us here have stated for quite a while.
  • Reply 854 of 2639
    What's HD DVD's next move guys...I know...

...I mean, with price trumping all, this is for SURE to work.
  • Reply 855 of 2639
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Typical Blu-ray Bot childishness.

NPD comes out with numbers gloating about Blu-ray sales yet they forget to tell people about how the units are moving. Both formats in this War have had to give away movies and players to make a dent. I'm actually cracking up about how consumers are basically yawning and continuing to buy and rent DVD.

I look forward to eventually having Blu-ray next to my HD DVD but I tell you if they think I'm spending $30 a film they toss my salad 24/7. I'm through with these foolish studios.
  • Reply 856 of 2639
    Quote:

NPD comes out with numbers gloating about Blu-ray sales yet they forget to tell people about how the units are moving. Both formats in this War have had to give away movies and players to make a dent. I'm actually cracking up about how consumers are basically yawning and continuing to buy and rent DVD.

I look forward to eventually having Blu-ray next to my HD DVD but I tell you if they think I'm spending $30 a film they toss my salad 24/7. I'm through with these foolish studios.

Are you going to be through with all these "foolish" B&M stores too when they go Blu-ray exclusive? Or is "online" going to be where it is at all of a sudden...for everything,...purchases of hardware, movie downloads, etc? You know, anything to not lay credence to Blu-ray's domination and victory.
  • Reply 857 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

BTW, the 90% of the Blu-Ray standalone unit sales for week above is from free blu-ray player promo with HDTV purchases.

http://www.betanews.com/article/prin...nth/1201203983

So one week BD sells roughly 15 thousand versus HD-DVDs roughly 15.

The next week HD-DVD sales drop to less than 2 thousand.

But BD sales rise by a third to 20 thousand, and the cheerleader in you says 90% of the sales on BD are from a giveaway.

What? Tosh not giving enough free discs out that week? one third up from "normal" DOES NOT make 90%. you fail.

Can't you at least accept that its all looking pear shaped?

I can only imagine the merry dance you would be doing if it was BD in the toilet rather than HD-DVD.
  • Reply 858 of 2639
    Quote:

So you have NEVER bought a $30 HD-DVD?

If you see only $30 BD movies, perhaps you havent found the right store online, which is funny, because you believe so passionately about online stores now, right?

Hey, why not hit us up on some of that "attach rate" crud you were so into a while back? remember HD-DVD had these amazing attach rates, but just around xmas time Tosh was blowing its nose/trumpet about how many players it had sold, but UMMMM BD were still outselling it in terms of disc sales.. or were you singing "LA LA LA" at that time too?
  • Reply 859 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Circuit City Dropping HD DVD?

http://www.1080living.com/modules.ph...article&sid=17

Next up....Best Buy?

BTW, it doesn't suprise me that those who still or previously supported HD DVD are now all giddy in regards to downloads all of a sudden...can't be wrong...no, no, no...must spin, spin some more, and then be found wrong again when Blu-ray becomes the de facto standard just as some of us here have stated for quite a while.

Woolworths, One of the biggest B&M stores in the UK Dumps HD-DVD

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29449/Woolworths-dumps-HD-DVD

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a...op-hd-dvd.html

But "who cares about the UK" right

--

Well I have my Apple-TV now for quite a while and I seem to be getting plenty of use out of it don't know when the downloads will come to the UK but I'm ready to give it a go, however I have literally hundreds of films I can watch recorded FREE over the air and patiently waiting in iTunes for me. I'm ready for download rentals, but I'm not sure if rentals are the way to go for me, the only way I see it having interest is for movies I am not that keen to own, in which case I can wait till they are available FREE. other wise I likely want to buy to own, in which case its BD.

Need to buy another 750Gb Drive
  • Reply 860 of 2639
    Blu-ray i vote..