Apple hoists "There's something in the air" Macworld banners

Comments

• Reply 241 of 384
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That has been discussed before. The problem with Apple developing TVs is that there are many different sizes and types that consumers want. Many people also tend to update their components well before they update their TV.

That's not a problem. If Apple developed 2 sizes that would suffice. And the update would be handled via wifi firmware like the present ATV. And then the SOny TVs in the Apple stores would go bye bye.
  • Reply 242 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Thanks.

Yeah, judging by 9 to 5's accuracy recently it may very well be called MacBook Air.

If that is indeed the name it will be very weird as no one on the planet predicted that one. Not even me

If we have Nike Air -why not Mac Air. Will AIr Jordan become the new spokesman?
  • Reply 243 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

When I referenced the banner and thus the song, "There is something in the Air" to sharing wifi, is in most part what you outlined.

Sharing wifi with others, e.g., the public, or within the confines of one's personal domain is certainly the way of the future. The fact that the song itself proclaims revolutionary intent was definitely ideal for the theme in Easy Rider. In addition, everything about Jobs and the manner he accomplishes things is equally revolutionary or rebellious.

If I may add another possibility past the ability to communicate, compute and entertain wirelessly, lets not forget his patent on induction (wireless) charging and data transfer.

In any event, I think that Job's has something 'revolutionary' in mind. Not, simply renting movies. And to your reference to Fon, perhaps an Apple WiFi Extreme is in the cards.

That's sounds all a little too Zune-ish to me.
  • Reply 244 of 384
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

That's not a problem. If Apple developed 2 sizes that would suffice. And the update would be handled via wifi firmware like the present ATV. And then the SOny TVs in the Apple stores would go bye bye.

There are only a few hundred Apple Stores. I would expect Apple to replace its handheld payment system running Windows Mobile with an IPod Touch with CC reading accesory attached via the 30-pin connector before adding an Apple-branded TV. After all, Apple already has one of these devices in production.

What two sizes would you expect for an Apple-branded TV? Whatever you say, i guarantee there will people that want many other sizes. And what type of display technology would they use? There are advocates for many different technologies, too.
  • Reply 245 of 384
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Something's in the air

Sky is in the air

Businesses are in sky scrapers

Apple is targeting the business market

xMac

Quite obvious really.

I suppose it could be the ultra-portable (at a stretch) - the slogan could refer to its use on airplanes.

I'm sure we all suspected that MacWorld was going to be about the ultra-portable. I'd guess they'll leave a slate until Montevina.
  • Reply 246 of 384
    mukeimukei Posts: 14member
    There used to be a rumor of an Alliance between Apple and a Flight Company...

And if it was a very powerful Apple TV that start being used for the airplane Video on demand...

Offering the time of a flight a Dock for your ipod, mac, or... with access to the apple store.

With the possibility to listen to all the music for free. You could buy your song in duty free before leaving the airplane...

It can easily be extended to video, podcast...

There's something in the air... ^_^

and It's a plane !

It will also be the ultra thin portable that will anyway definitely make it's breakout...

offering easy portability for traveler... with a new dimension in plane

Let see in a few days now ^.^
  • Reply 247 of 384
    mukeimukei Posts: 14member
    Let me add that the multitouch technology could replace the actual poor led touch screen available in airplane....

Also OLED screen, small sized.. perfect.

Also don't use much electricity... perfect for low energy consumption (good for poor airplane asking for more gasoline and destroying our earth... think greener they say lol)
  • Reply 248 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Something's in the air

Sky is in the air

Businesses are in sky scrapers

Apple is targeting the business market

xMac

Quite obvious really.

Um...i think thats stretching it....
  • Reply 249 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mukei View Post

Let me add that the multitouch technology could replace the actual poor led touch screen available in airplane....

Also OLED screen, small sized.. perfect.

Also don't use much electricity... perfect for low energy consumption (good for poor airplane asking for more gasoline and destroying our earth... think greener they say lol)

The problem with the LED screens on planes is not the touch screen, it's poor resolution analog signal being pipped to them. I can't see a multi-touch interface on a seat back. It seems inconvenient.

I would like to know how much additional amperage would be saved per hour with screens. I don't think it would be enough to warrant adding expensive OLED screens to seat backs.
  • Reply 250 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are only a few hundred Apple Stores. I would expect Apple to replace its handheld payment system running Windows Mobile with an IPod Touch with CC reading accesory attached via the 30-pin connector before adding an Apple-branded TV. After all, Apple already has one of these devices in production.

What two sizes would you expect for an Apple-branded TV? Whatever you say, i guarantee there will people that want many other sizes. And what type of display technology would they use? There are advocates for many different technologies, too.

I agree that the present checkout system at he stores is a real embarrassment but what difference would the replacements really matter? New Apple check out handhelds are not going to generate major sales figures for Apple. HP has limited already TVs. Many think it's only a matter of time before a real Apple TV comes out. I would think LCD and 26" and 42". I prefer plasma myself.
  • Reply 251 of 384
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 252 of 384
    If Apple launched a wireless broadband service, based on Intel's WiMax they might just call it "Air"

Imagine what such a service could potentially do to the other Wireless carriers.

C.
  • Reply 253 of 384
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

You've been spending too much time talking to Ireland?

By doing that Apple is essentially entering the TV market, there's no point for them to be there, especially since they're Cinema Displays are high priced enough as it is.

Sebastian

Slewis & Solipsism ? yesyes, but at this moment I am using nearly all of my ports on my Powerbook! My poor babybook is not free anymore as it has been tied to a 20" cinema display

The current cinema display concept does not make any sense as it locks my portable to a big screen. All of a sudden your portable is not a portable anymore and you are hooked to your desk ? for ever and ever and ever ? mwhahahaha (evil laugh)

The apple tv concept would solve this issue however. Not only for the living room, but also for the creative studio (office). Ireland! I am on your side!!
  • Reply 254 of 384
    If AirPort is the name for Wi-Fi devices in Apple-speak, surely Air is Wi-Fi, or at least radio communication? Seems to me they're doing something wireless what it is, I don't know.
  • Reply 255 of 384
    -
  • Reply 256 of 384
    -
  • Reply 257 of 384
    msnlymsnly Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhelim View Post

you fool, people would sign in using their .Mac account on a separate Wi-Fi channel, FON are already doing it, Steve met with them a few months ago and reportedly loved the idea

No, "you fool" what about the people that do not need the services of .Mac but want the access, such as I, I am fine with my own server and gmail, thank you very much!
  • Reply 258 of 384
    I apologize if this has been posted already, but I'm not going to check all 7 pages.

Adium's usage logs show a MacBookAir as one of the computers using this robust IM client.
    Don't get too excited, these can be easily faked.
  • Reply 259 of 384
    I just wanted to express my mourning on the non-probability of the Mac Tablet.

That was the rumor that thrilled me most of all.

It would just be so damn usefull in class.

Please don't let me down on the thin new notebook.

Because the only thing that could alleviate my pain would be a nice 13" MacBook (Pro) clad in aluminium and the announcement of a 32GB iPod Touch (hopefully with external volume controls).

I had to say this. Now I can go back to being grumpy.
  • Reply 260 of 384
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mangochutney View Post

I just wanted to express my mourning on the non-probability of the Mac Tablet.

That was the rumor that thrilled me most of all.

It would just be so damn usefull in class.

Please don't let me down on the thin new notebook.

Because the only thing that could alleviate my pain would be a nice 13" MacBook (Pro) clad in aluminium and the announcement of a 32GB iPod Touch (hopefully with external volume controls).

I had to say this. Now I can go back to being grumpy.

If Apple doesn't produce a tablet this week , just buy a Modbook . It's a Apple powerbook turned into a tablet, They say it is shipping now. Made by Axiotron, $ 2,279 and $ 2,479.