Citigroup: Checks point to 3G iPhone within four months

15678911»

Comments

• Reply 201 of 206
    Since we know the iPhone software v2.0 is coming out in June, does it make sense that the v2.0 hardware with 3G will come out also? I know the new 3G iphone has not been confirmed by Apple, but is the fact that new software is coming out a good sign? If it was not going to be accompanied with new hardware, why did they not call the new software version 1.5?
  • Reply 202 of 206
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You are certainly free to your opinion. I don't see other people as concerned about it.

'concerned' is overstating my position. I just think it's a bit shit. That's all.

Quote:

From the O2 story about their network being strained from iPhone data use. At this point its only EDGE and GPRS. Would seem that O2 needs time to prepare their network for a 3G iPhone.

3G data uses a different network to EDGE/GPRS. The problem is their old crappy network that was never expected to carry large amounts of data and I wish you wouldn't describe it as an EDGE network. Outside main towns, there's no EDGE network.

Quote:

Its making more money per unit sold for Apple and O2. Than other phones make for their manufacturer and O2. Everyone involved seems to be fine with that.

For Apple maybe, I'd doubt it for O2. The people that aren't fine with it are the customers of O2 and Apple having to pay over the odds for the iPhone.
  • Reply 203 of 206
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

3G data uses a different network to EDGE/GPRS. The problem is their old crappy network that was never expected to carry large amounts of data and I wish you wouldn't describe it as an EDGE network. Outside main towns, there's no EDGE network.

From O2 reports their crappy EDGE/GPRS network is getting more use per unit percentage than their 3G network.

Quote:

For Apple maybe, I'd doubt it for O2. The people that aren't fine with it are the customers of O2 and Apple having to pay over the odds for the iPhone.

Right, O2 isn't OK that's why they are selling it in Ireland.

According to O2, the iPhone has the highest satisfaction rating and the lowest return rate of any phone in its lineup. Moreover, iPhone users generate roughly 30 percent more revenue per user than the carrier’s average customer.

O2 did not provide sales figures for the iPhone alone, but it did say that the device helped add 483,000 customers and 276,000 contracts to its roster.

If customers do not like the deal they don' have to sign the contract.
  • Reply 204 of 206
    Quote:

From O2 reports their crappy EDGE/GPRS network is getting more use per unit percentage than their 3G network.

Of course. The iPhone doesn't do 3G, you don't get an unlimited data contract with other phones, ergo, people with iPhones use data as much as they can because they've paid for it, people who don't add data to their contract, don't.

The phrase "Well Duh!" would apply.

Quote:

Right, O2 isn't OK that's why they are selling it in Ireland.

And have you seen those value for money contracts?

Quote:

According to O2, the iPhone has the highest satisfaction rating and the lowest return rate of any phone in its lineup. Moreover, iPhone users generate roughly 30 percent more revenue per user than the carrier?s average customer.

Am I surprised people buying expensive phones are satisfied? No. Am I surprised an expensive contract nets 30% more revenue (That's revenue, not profit)? No.

Quote:

O2 did not provide sales figures for the iPhone alone, but it did say that the device helped add 483,000 customers and 276,000 contracts to its roster.

If customers do not like the deal they don' have to sign the contract.

Hang on, that's ALL customers, not just iPhone customers and 43% of them bought phones without contracts - ie. not the iPhone.
  • Reply 205 of 206
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Of course. The iPhone doesn't do 3G, you don't get an unlimited data contract with other phones, ergo, people with iPhones use data as much as they can because they've paid for it, people who don't add data to their contract, don't.

I would ask. Why do you get unlimited data with the iPhone and not other phones?

Quote:

And have you seen those value for money contracts?

I don't understand your question.

Quote:

Am I surprised people buying expensive phones are satisfied? No. Am I surprised an expensive contract nets 30% more revenue (That's revenue, not profit)? No.

High price tags automatically equal high satisfaction? Yes a more expensive contract will net higher revenue. But you have to provide a service that people feel is worth the higher price.

Quote:

Hang on, that's ALL customers, not just iPhone customers and 43% of them bought phones without contracts - ie. not the iPhone.

Yes that is clearly what it says. The point is that O2 says its happy with the results.
  • Reply 206 of 206
    Quote:

I would ask. Why do you get unlimited data with the iPhone and not other phones?

Simple. Other phones are on general tariffs. The iPhone has specific tariffs that match up with the type of phone it is - a phone that uses a lot of data. Not everyone of course wants to use a lot of data but they'll still get a K810, W990, N95 or an HTC or whatever to use as a smartphone, a cameraphone or a musicphone, since they're free and they've lots of OTHER features than data.

I imagine there's quite a few people that would like an iPhone without a data plan too. IIRC AT&T introduced cheaper plans without data a few months after the iPhone intro.

Quote:

I don't understand your question.

O2 may be selling in Ireland but the tariffs are the most expensive anywhere, don't come with visual voicemail, don't come with unlimited data (It's 1GB a month) and come with derisory minutes/texts. They obviously can't sell the iPhone there with a decent tariff and make a decent profit so they're left with selling it with a poor tariff and hoping there's enough stupid people.

Quote:

High price tags automatically equal high satisfaction? Yes a more expensive contract will net higher revenue. But you have to provide a service that people feel is worth the higher price.

It doesn't work like that. People are automatically inclined to be more satisfied with something they've paid a lot for to save face.

Quote:

Yes that is clearly what it says. The point is that O2 says its happy with the results.

Yes they are. They're happy the iPhone being in store has brought in lots of customers to their stores who have then bought other handsets. Call it a halo effect.

Every store I've spoken too hasn't been happy with the sales of the iPhone. They aren't happy with having an iPhone display taking up space in the middle of their shops. They aren't happy with the dangerous driftwood planks that Apple insists on that is proving dangerous to kids. They aren't happy they can't give discounts. They aren't happy they can't sell them in bulk - one store manager told me he had a buyer ask for 250 iPhones WITH CONTRACTS and Apple said no. They aren't happy there's no business contracts.

What the O2 top level PR machine is saying, doesn't gel.