Apple orders aluminum 13-inch MacBook shells, 3G iPhone chips

Comments

• Reply 21 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The thing I think Apple really need to do though, for more options and better sales to young and old alike is to do the aluminum, consumer Macbooks in 5 colors. Bring back the sexy please. Anodized, colored, aluminum, consumer Macbooks would be "killer"

iPods that match ones MB would be a big hit. I'm surprised Apple hasnt' done this earlier. They seem to be moving every things away from plastic and to recyclable elements.

But I don't think this would be a new MB coming out this soon. For starters, the new portable chips that Intel is releasing in June won't be available to Apple in bulk for a couple month after that. Also, the MB and MBP were just updated less than 2 months ago (51 days) with an average update cycle of 192 days. The Mac Mini and iMac are both at 254 days and an average update cycle of 188 days and 205 days respectively.

This makes me think that if Apple is producing 13" non-MBA cases this soon then Apple will be releasing a 3rd, and smaller, portable to their Pro line. But is having 3 different 13" machines and only one 15" model the best choice for Apple and the consumer. I don't think so I am calling this story bogus.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonderkid View Post

If Apple can ensure the case of this new 13" machine is coated with something to prevent alergies,

I'm sorry you have a rare allergy, but do it yourself, it's not Apple responsibility. You have an allergy to a metal so you can't be touching metals directly. You can coat in a thin plastic membrane with a built in adhesive (akin to window tint) or a buy a hard plastic shell, like TechShell. I use the latter because I like to through my stuff around and not use a case with my portable.

PS: Like Melgross states, it's probably nickel content, not aluminium.
  • Reply 22 of 149
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
  • Reply 23 of 149
    Quote:

Myself and others are alergic to whatever Apple make their aluminium Macs from. If I even touch a MacBook Pro, (latest) iMac keyboard or the 12" PowerBook, my skin goes dry, cracks and begins to bleed within minutes. Have witnesses and photos to prove it. This does not happen when I touch any other aluminium object, such as a saucepan.

Appalled by the MacBook Air, I bought an EEE PC to work alongside my (plastic) MacBook, as I really wanted a compact, lightweight portable and the air just does not cut it for many reasons, mainly associated with size (too much space wasted around edges of screen / keyboard), fact it was aluminium - and way overpriced.

If Apple can ensure the case of this new 13" machine is coated with something to prevent alergies, then I'll be their first customer as my MacBook is getting old and the EEE PC while ideal for taking notes, checking email, is not a Mac.

What say you Apple and forums peeps?

---

In corporate-speak: You're statistically unimportant. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1509548
  • Reply 24 of 149
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

Very Interesting.

No it's not, and I'm not falling for it.
  • Reply 25 of 149
    Well, good for you, I guess.

edit: The Tiger background does give pause though, not to mention the curvature of the top half of the MBP not really matching up with t he bottom half.
  • Reply 26 of 149
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    The text is messed up on the MBP pic, as if a smaller font has been pasted on top of the original text.
  • Reply 27 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

The text is messed up on the MBP pic, as if a smaller font has been pasted on top of the original text.

And apparently the MB image was copied from someone in the forums who made a MB mockup:

Adokimus

Post & Image
  • Reply 28 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

And apparently the MB image was copied from someone in the forums who made a MB mockup

And the larger pic still has the XSan listed. This is just a fanboy mockup that isn't new or convincing.
  • Reply 29 of 149
    Quote:

What say you Apple and forums peeps?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. But 'forum peeps' are going to be unable to answer your question, either because they are not doctors, or they would be hacks to offer you medical advice without examining you first.
  • Reply 30 of 149

Great work Adokimus, this is obviously the way the MacBook Pro is going to look.
  • Reply 31 of 149
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    I just hope they put more USB ports on them. Two ports is just not enough. All Macs should come with 4 USB ports minimum IMO.

I think it's about time the whole lineup went aluminium. This could turn the Macbook into the 12" powerbook equivalent that so many people have been waiting for. If it gets trimmed down and isn't quite so glossy, it will be perfect. The GPU as usual isn't great but the X3100 might be enough for people.

It's all just a question of when. If production workers are seeing these then surely it has to be a matter of 2-3 weeks tops.
  • Reply 32 of 149
    Quote:

Great work Adokimus, this is obviously the way the MacBook Pro is going to look.

That is quite sexy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I just hope they put more USB ports on them. Two ports is just not enough. All Macs should come with 4 USB ports minimum IMO.

For what reason do you need to have 4 simultaneous USB connections? I think 2 is more than enough for the vast majority.

Quote:

It's all just a question of when. If production workers are seeing these then surely it has to be a matter of 2-3 weeks tops.

None of this makes sense. The MB and MBPs were just updated 50 days ago. That is 140 days short of their average refresh rate. Plus, the Mac Mini and iMac refreshes are almost 2 months overdue.

Can you cite any precedence where Apple updated a product this close to a previous update?
  • Reply 33 of 149
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

For what reason do you need to have 4 simultaneous USB connections? I think 2 is more than enough for the vast majority.

I was happy with only two USB ports.....until I switched out my hard drive for a bigger one. I had the great idea of using my old hard drive as a Time Machine backup. But the old hard drive is now in an external case which needs to use both ports to be powered. So now I have to eject & unplug it if I want to use a mouse or sync my iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 149
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:

No it's not, and I'm not falling for it.

I don't get why people are treating those leaks as if they are finished ready art. Obviously they are not. Does anyone really think the art on Apple's site are real photos? No of course not. They are all heavily photoshopped art which are mostly hand drawn in Illustrator and Photoshop.

So what's wrong with these being in-progress art to show someone within Apple or maybe an ad agency some ideas? If anything it gives it more weight that these are real because of that.
  • Reply 35 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I was happy with only two USB ports.....until I switched out my hard drive for a bigger one. I had the great idea of using my old hard drive as a Time Machine backup. But the old hard drive is now in an external case which needs to use both ports to be powered. So now I have to eject & unplug it if I want to use a mouse or sync my iPhone.

That is a pain, but uncommon. You may want to consider a FW enclosure that will supply power on one port. They cost more, but the convenience may make it worth it.
  • Reply 36 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I think you're going to need to come up with a more standard approach as to why anyone needs more than 2 ports than resusing an old internal drive as a usb drive with two cables.

Gotta be maybe, one guy on the planet doing that.

If yer gonna buy a new MB or MBP, you might want to do some wireless time machine backups and forget saving 50 bucks on reusing an old drive........
  • Reply 37 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akac View Post

I don't get why people are treating those leaks as if they are finished ready art. Obviously they are not. Does anyone really think the art on Apple's site are real photos? No of course not. They are all heavily photoshopped art which are mostly hand drawn in Illustrator and Photoshop.

So what's wrong with these being in-progress art to show someone within Apple or maybe an ad agency some ideas? If anything it gives it more weight that these are real because of that.

If you really believe you're not being played, then check out the bridge I'm selling in New York. You can charge anything you want in tolls and make lots of money and I'll sell it to you cheap.
  • Reply 38 of 149
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

There's millions of colors and tones to choose from. They would likely go a little paler than this, but they could select 5 beauties.

Are you sure there are really millions of colors and not only 262,144 colors?

• Reply 39 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Are you sure there are really millions of colors and not only 262,144 colors?

Cute.
  • Reply 40 of 149
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,301moderator
    Quote:

I probably would have agreed before I started using that many. One USB drive, two firewire drives, a keyboard/mouse, a PSP on charge and a spare for my portable USB drive. I can't even fit some USB pens into a Mac laptop while also having an external mouse because the pen was too wide forcing me to copy files using the trackpad.

Two on either side is good so it doesn't matter if you are left or right handed. External mice can sit perfectly well on either side no matter how short the cable is.

I don't even use Wacoms, Palmtops, printers, scanners and all the other USB peripherals that people like to use. There's nothing wrong with having more ports and even bottom of the barrel Dell laptops have four.

Quote:

None of this makes sense. The MB and MBPs were just updated 50 days ago. That is 140 days short of their average refresh rate. Plus, the Mac Mini and iMac refreshes are almost 2 months overdue.

Can you cite any precedence where Apple updated a product this close to a previous update?

The Macbook wasn't updated properly though, it was just a CPU bump and it doesn't have Penryn whereas the MBP does. The MB is also one of the last products to be environmentally unfriendly so it needs to move to metal and glass like the MBP.

So I don't think the MBP will be updated but I do think the MB will be. As I say, why would the enclosures be at the production plant if there wasn't an update coming soon?