Apple orders aluminum 13-inch MacBook shells, 3G iPhone chips

135678

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 149
    mjteixmjteix Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    The Macbook wasn't updated properly though, it was just a CPU bump and it doesn't have Penryn whereas the MBP does. The MB is also one of the last products to be environmentally unfriendly so it needs to move to metal and glass like the MBP.



    So I don't think the MBP will be updated but I do think the MB will be. As I say, why would the enclosures be at the production plant if there wasn't an update coming soon?



    Hello!!!

    The MB was updated with penryn cpus as well. Since those penryn chips are pin compatible with merom on the santa rosa chipset.



    I think that all Macs need to be updated to Montevina this summer (including the Mac mini). The update to penryn on santa rosa is just a stopgap.
  • Reply 42 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    IThe Macbook wasn't updated properly though, it was just a CPU bump and it doesn't have Penryn whereas the MBP does. The MB is also one of the last products to be environmentally unfriendly so it needs to move to metal and glass like the MBP.



    So I don't think the MBP will be updated but I do think the MB will be. As I say, why would the enclosures be at the production plant if there wasn't an update coming soon?



    The MB were upgraded to Penryn. They received the chip that cost the same as the previous chip from Intel's pricing plan. This is how Apple has been updating their MB and MBPs since switching to Intel. The MB is not getting updating.



    As for these enclosures there are only two possibilities. Either Apple will be releasing a 13" MBP or this rumour is false.
  • Reply 43 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I probably would have agreed before I started using that many. One USB drive, two firewire drives, a keyboard/mouse, a PSP on charge and a spare for my portable USB drive. I can't even fit some USB pens into a Mac laptop while also having an external mouse because the pen was too wide forcing me to copy files using the trackpad.



    I think we should agree that you use a lot of USB devices AND that you're not the average user.



    three external hard drives and a redundant keyboard?
  • Reply 44 of 149
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Aluminum Macbooks is an obvious next step, as is a revised MacBook Pro design with larger multi-touch trackpads for both machines. The thing I think Apple really need to do though, for more options and better sales to young and old alike is to do the aluminum, consumer Macbooks in 5 colors. Bring back the sexy please. Anodized, colored, aluminum, consumer Macbooks would be "killer"!



    They could do something rich and amazing!







    There's millions of colors and tones to choose from. They would likely go a little paler than this, but they could select 5 beauties.



    that would be awesome!! I would probably choose:

    Yellow

    Blue (light)

    Red

    Green (light)

    Silver (default)

    Black



    they all come with a white keyboard, except for the silver and black, which come with the same color as the case.



    i would buy a new MacBook immediately if the came in bright happy colors. Not sure what color I would buy though... probably the brightest and most vibrant color
  • Reply 45 of 149
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    I was happy with only two USB ports.....until I switched out my hard drive for a bigger one. I had the great idea of using my old hard drive as a Time Machine backup. But the old hard drive is now in an external case which needs to use both ports to be powered. So now I have to eject & unplug it if I want to use a mouse or sync my iPhone.



    I thought they made USB hubs for that.
  • Reply 46 of 149
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post


    jiffy isn't going to stop making peanutbutter because people are allergic to peanuts.



    Skippy just came out with a peanut butter that defies peanut allergies.



    As a result, Jif (not jiffy) just went bankrupt.
  • Reply 47 of 149
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,228moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The MB were upgraded to Penryn. They received the chip that cost the same as the previous chip from Intel's pricing plan. This is how Apple has been updating their MB and MBPs since switching to Intel. The MB is not getting updating.



    As for these enclosures there are only two possibilities. Either Apple will be releasing a 13" MBP or this rumour is false.



    In that case, yeah an update doesn't seem as likely. But still, the environmental reasons alone could be enough for an enclosure change. A 13" MBP would come into Macbook Air territory.



    If for nothing more than to stop the issue of stopping the cases cracking and discoloration issues, I'd say a metallic enclosure is a very good move and should be done ASAP.



    The Macbook is one of Apple's best selling models so it would be wise of them to keep the refreshes coming.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage


    I thought they made USB hubs for that.



    A lot of devices don't work over USB hubs. I forgot I had a USB headset for Skype (no internal mic input on the Mini that takes a standard mic) and that doesn't work properly on a hub.
  • Reply 48 of 149
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post


    I thought they made USB hubs for that.



    The drive needs the power from two separate ports to get enough.....power.
  • Reply 49 of 149
    irelandireland Posts: 17,645member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobertoq View Post


    that would be awesome!! I would probably choose:

    Yellow

    Blue (light)

    Red

    Green (light)

    Silver (default)

    Black



    they all come with a white keyboard, except for the silver and black, which come with the same color as the case.



    i would buy a new MacBook immediately if the came in bright happy colors. Not sure what color I would buy though... probably the brightest and most vibrant color



    To be sure, I'd love them. The silver would have a white keyboard though, just look at the new wireless keyboard for the clue there. Apple's new thing seems to be black keyboard means it's backlit, while white means it's not.
  • Reply 50 of 149
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    Apple's new thing seems to be black keyboard means it's backlit, while white means it's not.



    That's interesting. I never thought of that.
  • Reply 51 of 149
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    To be sure, I'd love them. The silver would have a white keyboard though, just look at the new wireless keyboard for the clue there. Apple's new thing seems to be black keyboard means it's backlit, while white means it's not.



    I never noticed that... yeah I think white would go better with the silver MacBook because of the keyboard
  • Reply 52 of 149
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    I think it's about time the whole lineup went aluminum.



    Ugh, I'm so tired of this metal product line. Sure, it was cool when I bought that Titanium G4 a hundred years ago. And it was still groovy when the first Aluminum G4 came home with me. But then, more aluminum this and more aluminum that... how long has it been, now? I'm thinking maybe 7 years? Maybe longer?



    So, early on this year, tired of the same-old designs from Apple year after year after year after year after year, I purchased a black 13" MacBook. You know, something new, something different.



    And I was astonished! After years of aluminum laptops, my shiny new plastic MacBook delivered more than double the airport range! I was in heaven! (Turns out metal does make for good signal shielding :-)



    I could actually sit on my deck in the backyard, looking out over the park, and cruise the net! Reception through the plastic enclosure was significantly better than any metal laptop previously owned. And it was lighter, fit better on an airline seat back tray, and so far, has been one of the most durable Apple products I've ever owned - almost as tough as my old 180C.



    But the question remains: what happened to Apple? How did the company that became so well known for churning out multifarious sexy designs end up with such an old, stultified, worn-out and tiresome laptop line for so long?



    I hope they don't deliver more of the same. I hope there's something new, something innovative, something I'd like to buy!



    Think anything different!
  • Reply 53 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    Ugh, I'm so tired of this metal product line. Sure, it was cool when I bought that Titanium G4 a hundred years ago. And it was still groovy when the first Aluminum G4 came home with me. But then, more aluminum this and more aluminum that... how long has it been, now? I'm thinking maybe 7 years? Maybe longer?

    [...]

    I hope they don't deliver more of the same. I hope there's something new, something innovative, something I'd like to buy!



    What do you have in mind? To go green Apple has to move away from plastic. Also, plastic cases have to be thicker than metal ones and are subsequently heavier for the same level or durability and rigidity. While not very Apple-like, I'd like to see a part of the notebook lid as a plastic piece for better reception, but that is very doubtful.



    What do you propose Apple do? Outside of making anodized colours I think you are going be stuck with metal from here on out.
  • Reply 54 of 149
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,780member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    Ugh, I'm so tired of this metal product line. Sure, it was cool when I bought that Titanium G4 a hundred years ago. And it was still groovy when the first Aluminum G4 came home with me. But then, more aluminum this and more aluminum that... how long has it been, now? I'm thinking maybe 7 years? Maybe longer?



    So, early on this year, tired of the same-old designs from Apple year after year after year after year after year, I purchased a black 13" MacBook. You know, something new, something different.



    And I was astonished! After years of aluminum laptops, my shiny new plastic MacBook delivered more than double the airport range! I was in heaven! (Turns out metal does make for good signal shielding :-)



    I could actually sit on my deck in the backyard, looking out over the park, and cruise the net! Reception through the plastic enclosure was significantly better than any metal laptop previously owned. And it was lighter, fit better on an airline seat back tray, and so far, has been one of the most durable Apple products I've ever owned - almost as tough as my old 180C.



    But the question remains: what happened to Apple? How did the company that became so well known for churning out multifarious sexy designs end up with such an old, stultified, worn-out and tiresome laptop line for so long?



    I hope they don't deliver more of the same. I hope there's something new, something innovative, something I'd like to buy!



    Think anything different!



    The evolution of design is a VERY interesting, and deep, topic to explore.



    The cases Apple uses these days are very well designed. While it's true that aluminum is less conducive to radio use, the newer portables are much better in that regard than the older ones were.



    Within the constraints of technology and cost, comes a design, and material choice, which is about perfect. Apple's cases are an example of that.



    Truthfully, Apple's designs have come about as far as they can go. Apple has decided, except for the Air, to improve what is in the case rather than to come out with another design that will be different, but not necessarily better.



    With the Air, we can see an effort on Apple's part to simulate what isn't entirely true. By making the edges thin out, it makes the model seem even thinner than it actually is.



    But, now the case is actually wider, and longer, than it has to be, because there are no components that can go into those very thin edges. It's wasted space! People have noticed all of the extra case around both the screen and the keyboard. It's more of a fashion statement. The computer could have been shorter in both dimensions if a more conventional edging was used. They could have shaved an ounce or more off the weight as well.



    Apple's other cases are more practical, and I prefer them for that reason. Not that the Air doesn't make a statement.



    But, plastic isn't as sturdy as the injection molded aluminum cases of the MBP's. Carbon fiber can be stronger, but not always, and it costs even more, as it can't be formed into the three dimensional shapes that aluminum, or thermoplastics can. Therefore it must be a composit, with formed in place metal and plastic for interior walls and struts, for strength and attachments, that makes the manufacture much more complex and costly.



    I think that Apple is doing the right thing by waiting until they can come up with a better idea.
  • Reply 55 of 149
    matt_smatt_s Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    The evolution of design is a VERY interesting, and deep, topic to explore.



    The cases Apple uses these days are very well designed. While it's true that aluminum is less conducive to radio use, the newer portables are much better in that regard than the older ones were.



    Within the constraints of technology and cost, comes a design, and material choice, which is about perfect. Apple's cases are an example of that.



    Truthfully, Apple's designs have come about as far as they can go. Apple has decided, except for the Air, to improve what is in the case rather than to come out with another design that will be different, but not necessarily better.





    Apple's other cases are more practical, and I prefer them for that reason. Not that the Air doesn't make a statement.



    But, plastic isn't as sturdy as the injection molded aluminum cases of the MBP's. Carbon fiber can be stronger, but not always, and it costs even more, as it can't be formed into the three dimensional shapes that aluminum, or thermoplastics can. Therefore it must be a composit, with formed in place metal and plastic for interior walls and struts, for strength and attachments, that makes the manufacture much more complex and costly.



    I think that Apple is doing the right thing by waiting until they can come up with a better idea.



    I agree the designs have come as far as they can, they are old, worn-out and boring as hell. I want a new Mac laptop, but dammit, I want a new one! I can't take more of the same, over and over and over and over again.



    I'm not in love with plastic but I bought it because after 3 consecutive metal laptops from Apple, I had to have something different. It's wearing better than my aluminum Intel did, and it's been tougher. The top doesn't scratch. My wife has a 3-month old MacBook Pro 15", and I can get airport reception on our deck, and she can't.



    BTW, these are not injection molded aluminum cases, these are stamped and formed. No matter, they're still ancient, long in the tooth, over-used and should have been retired 3 or 4 years ago.



    If the once design-savvy Apple is now bereft of new ideas, make the same stupid aluminum cases in a different color. But for the love of God, please, do something different. We're bored as hell and we want a new Mac laptop.
  • Reply 56 of 149
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post


    If the once design-savvy Apple is now bereft of new ideas, make the same stupid aluminum cases in a different color. But for the love of God, please, do something different. We're bored as hell and we want a new Mac laptop.













    Evolution is no bad thing.
  • Reply 57 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post


    <images>



    Evolution is no bad thing.



    I see your point, but I have been bored with Porsche for several decades. Give me an Ariel Atom, Bugatti Veyron, Bently Continental GT, Maybach 62, or Rolls Royce Phantom. Note: These are all new and modern designs.
  • Reply 58 of 149
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    I see your point, but I have been bored with Porsche for several decades. Give me an Ariel Atom, Bugatti Veyron, Bently Continental GT, Maybach 62, or Rolls Royce Phantom. Note: These are all new and modern designs.



    Never mind that all of them except for the Ariel cost significantly more than the Porsche, that none of them except for the Atom are sports cars in the sense that the Porsche is, and that the Rolls Royce Phantom looks about as modern as a Lotus 7.



    So what you're saying is that you want Apple to make a 12-pound, 20" desktop replacement portable. Just so long as its modern.
  • Reply 59 of 149
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloss View Post


    the Rolls Royce Phantom looks about as modern as a Lotus 7.



    You are so wrong. Only the grill looked "antiquish".





    Quote:

    So what you're saying is that you want Apple to make a 12-pound, 20" desktop replacement portable. Just so long as its modern.



    I'm not drawing any parallels between cars and computers. I'm commenting only the cars. I actually like the MacBook the way it is.
  • Reply 60 of 149
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    double post.
Sign In or Register to comment.