tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

For me, it boils down to cost.

If:

3G iPhone = $499

2.5 iPhone = Discounted to $200

I'll take the 2.5 G iPhone.

I think there'll probably be a high-storage 3G iPhone priced at that price level, but I'd be a bit surprised if there weren't a $399 3G iPhone as well. I'm also not sure why a 2.5G iPhone would be priced under the iPod Touch ($299) if they keep it around as the low-end iPhone.

Of course, if the 2.5G model gets discontinued, by all means, take advantage of any and all fire sales.

But if they keep it around, and at a $100 price delta, I think the 2.5G iPhone mostly sits on store shelves, lonely and remembering its glory days.

• Reply 22 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackwind212 View Post

Both pretty much suck.

4G or bust.

4G is out of date. I'm waiting for 6G.
  • Reply 23 of 268
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I think there'll probably be a high-storage 3G iPhone priced at that price level, but I'd be a bit surprised if there weren't a $399 3G iPhone as well. I'm also not sure why a 2.5G iPhone would be priced under the iPod Touch ($299) if they keep it around as the low-end iPhone.

Of course, if the 2.5G model gets discontinued, by all means, take advantage of any and all fire sales.

But if they keep it around, and at a $100 price delta, I think the 2.5G iPhone mostly sits on store shelves, lonely and remembering its glory days.

Okay, perhaps I over-reacted in hopes of a lower cost iPhone.

Let's say the the 2.5 iPhone drops to $299. Perhaps refurbished ones will be at $249 (same as when AT&T had them for a few days).

Personally I'd love to see the following:

8GB iPhone 2.5 = $249

16GB iPhone 3G= $399

32GB iPhone 3G = $499

8GB iPod Touch = $199

16GB iPod Touch = $329

32GB iPod Touch = $399
  • Reply 24 of 268
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Mine's fine without G3. You do know it has Wifi right?

Wow you get wifi everywhere you get 3G? I sit at work - no wifi, perfect 3G, I sit on the bus to/from work, no wifi but again, perfect 3G. I visit my parents/friends/relatives. None have wifi but I get a 3G signal. So really, wifi is a bit of a bum compromise since it's so limited whereas 3G = nearly everywhere..
  • Reply 25 of 268
    nicegooglynicegoogly Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadisawesome View Post

the speed difference is going to be small because the phones processor and memory also plays a role in displaying that page to you. the real noticeable difference with edge/3g will be when you tether your phone to your computer... which you can't do

I totally agree. Remember when windows and palm phones changed over to Sprint Broadband. I have had both on both versions of "High Speed" mobile internet and the difference is not so large that it would make me buy a new phone. Tethering with devices on any of the major services will not give you cable modem/FIOS type speeds, but will definitely be four to five times faster than dial up. I live in New York City so the access to the high speed networks is fairly good.
  • Reply 26 of 268
    freethinkerfreethinker Posts: 122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Okay, perhaps I over-reacted in hopes of a lower cost iPhone.

Let's say the the 2.5 iPhone drops to $299. Perhaps refurbished ones will be at $249 (same as when AT&T had them for a few days).

Personally I'd love to see the following:

8GB iPhone 2.5 = $249

16GB iPhone 3G= $399

32GB iPhone 3G = $499

8GB iPod Touch = $199

16GB iPod Touch = $329

32GB iPod Touch = $399

I like your hopefulness, but the Iphone 3g will be more like

8GB iPhone 2.5 = $299

16GB iPhone 3G= $499

32GB iPhone 3G = $599

AT&T will offer a "rebate discount" though for the new model, the 3g...
  • Reply 27 of 268
    nicegooglynicegoogly Posts: 12member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Wow you get wifi everywhere you get 3G? I sit at work - no wifi, perfect 3G, I sit on the bus to/from work, no wifi but again, perfect 3G. I visit my parents/friends/relatives. None have wifi but I get a 3G signal. So really, wifi is a bit of a bum compromise since it's so limited whereas 3G = nearly everywhere..

This compromise is all relative. I am an attorney and have two offices, both with wi-fi, I have wi-fi at home and now all of the courthouses I am in have free wi-fi, now AT&T will be giving free wi-fi access in Barnes & Noble and Starbucks, and there are the number of unsecured servers and free wi-fi in numerous other places. My access is much greater than someone in Omaha. But will 3G be widely available in that City? 3G will never be as fast as wi-fi as it is now and the foreseeable future.
  • Reply 28 of 268
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member
    Quote:

I'll point and laugh at those who suggested the iPhone was fine without 3G.

For it's target market and design goals, yes it was fine.
  • Reply 29 of 268
    murphywebmurphyweb Posts: 295member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicegoogly View Post

3G will never be as fast as wi-fi as it is now and the foreseeable future.

Sorry, but that is clearly not true. 3G is faster that wifi in many many instances.

With wifi you are only sharing whatever bandwidth is available from the access point. If you have 10 people sharing 1MB of bandwidth then your wifi connection could theoretically be only 100k or less. You go to a busy Starbucks and how many people might there be online? And how much bandwidth does Starbucks have going back to the carrier? I presume they do not give all of their bandwidth to customers and would keep a proportion of it for their own internal use too?
  • Reply 30 of 268
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murphyweb View Post

Sorry, but that is clearly not true. 3G is faster that wifi in many many instances.

With wifi you are only sharing whatever bandwidth is available from the access point. If you have 10 people sharing 1MB of bandwidth then your wifi connection could theoretically be only 100k or less. You go to a busy Starbucks and how many people might there be online? And how much bandwidth does Starbucks have going back to the carrier? I presume they do not give all of their bandwidth to customers and would keep a proportion of it for their own internal use too?

Well if you want to reduce the available bandwidth to a straw, then yes, you can create a scenario where 3G will be faster. It would be even *faster* if they were only using a 56k modem on the back end too, but how silly do you want to get with this?

And, which measure are you using for 3G speed in this comparison? The theoretical 2Mbit/s fixed location rate? Alright, let's assume you end up with a *perfect* connection, and can utilize all of it at 100%. Let's assume 10 folks on a WAP as well. The pipe to the ISP needs to be a measly 20Mbit, or 2.5MB/s to saturate all 10 people's connections at the same time... which you have to admit is a pretty artificial scenario for most people's use.

For the vast majority of the use cases, WiFi will beat 3G in a head to head, although yes, you can craft specific instances where a 3G unit can beat a WiFi connection... but that doesn't really give any useful information, does it?
  • Reply 31 of 268
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:

So really, wifi is a bit of a bum compromise since it's so limited whereas 3G = nearly everywhere..

Yeah. Almost everywhere! . . . Almost.

3G Coverage Maps for Verizon, Cingular, and Sprint:

http://www.morethanpoints.com/articl...lar-and-sprint
  • Reply 32 of 268
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

... I am an attorney ...

For reals? What type of law do you practice? This forum could sure use

some authoritative information on the many legal questions which come up.
  • Reply 33 of 268
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

Mine's fine without G3. You do know it has Wifi right?

Mine is too. Though I want the option for 3G, the area I am now has faster EDGE than some 3G data rates I've read about.

i think to people assume because their device and carrier HW are capable of much higher speeds that they are going to be getting it. I sure hope AT&T has up their nationwide data rates and coverage. They either have, or I've been very lucky with my 3G notebook card.
  • Reply 34 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

I like your hopefulness, but the Iphone 3g will be more like

8GB iPhone 2.5 = $299

16GB iPhone 3G= $499

32GB iPhone 3G = $599

AT&T will offer a "rebate discount" though for the new model, the 3g...

Because so many iPhones from the US are being shipped out of the country and unlocked, thus losing revenue for Apple, I think Apple will raise the price of the device by $200 (though still officially locked because they are bastards and under contract with AT&T) and then offer a $200 discount?as you and the rumours suggest?when you sign up for a contract with AT&T.

If the AT&T happens will it be automated via the iTunes signup for the iPhone or will it have to be done via an AT&T authorized reseller? The latter is what the rumours are hinting to, but I see no reason why this can't be set up within the iTunes portal when it connects to AT&T to authorized your SIM and puts you into a 2-year contract.

if I were Apple I'd have it offer options instead of mailed rebate. Like credit toward iTS or AT&T store as well as a mailed check back.
  • Reply 35 of 268
    Quote:

This compromise is all relative. I am an attorney and have two offices, both with wi-fi, I have wi-fi at home and now all of the courthouses I am in have free wi-fi, now AT&T will be giving free wi-fi access in Barnes & Noble and Starbucks, and there are the number of unsecured servers and free wi-fi in numerous other places.

That's neat, but if you're on the move (on public transit, in a carpool, or heck, even walking down the street), WiFi isn't really a help. Limited range hotspots + not mobile = not good for ppl on the move. \

But, if you're sitting on your butt enjoying a latte, then yes, it's nice.

• Reply 36 of 268
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

But at what cost? For example, battery life. Will it be a problem? Is the attached article still relevant?

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3036

You do not seem to get the difference between having a 3G connection and being connected for 3g applications. Here goes. If the phone is in standby and connected via 3G, it means that there is a 3G network available for a 3G application, i.e. VoIP. This drains the battery no more than a 2.5G connection. However, once the application is used, and data is passed, there is a higher drain on the battery. How do I know this? I have a 3G phone, and use it daily, so I can see how 3G does and does not affect battery life.

These blanket "kill the battery" statements such as yours and others are misleading at best and false in the worst case.'

Before you start offering expert advice via Apple talking points, get a 3G phone and do some practical tests yourself.
  • Reply 37 of 268
    Since WiFi was brought up, is there a site I can use that will allow me to open any other site within a frame as SSL (HTTPS)? While important sites offer this i don't necessarily want people knowing what non-encrypted data I'm looking at. For example, YouTube or MySpace pages.

What I'm picturing is going to site like http;//secure.google.com and then having a bar ner the top with place for a Google search or to input the direct link I want to go to. The top frame wouldn't change (except, perhaps, for site related ads) while the bottom one would be queried from the server unencrypted (as usual) and then sent to my unsecured access point encrypted.
  • Reply 38 of 268
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Mine is too. Though I want the option for 3G, the area I am now has faster EDGE than some 3G data rates I've read about.

i think to people assume because their device and carrier HW are capable of much higher speeds that they are going to be getting it. I sure hope AT&T has up their nationwide data rates and coverage. They either have, or I've been very lucky with my 3G notebook card.

Thank the telecom gods that I am not forced to use the somewhat crappy US networks. Maybe AT&T and the others will pull their collective heads out and take a gander across the water at the European and Japanese networks. Hell, even throw in the ME networks as well.
  • Reply 39 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Thank the telecom gods that I am not forced to use the somewhat crappy US networks. Maybe AT&T and the others will pull their collective heads out and take a gander across the water at the European and Japanese networks. Hell, even throw in the ME networks as well.

Are you back in Finland? if not, how fast is your 3G right now?
  • Reply 40 of 268
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's unlikely that you'd get much above 200 kbps real-world with EDGE. And ATT doesn't even claim speeds that fast for EDGE on its site.

I don't know about ATT's 3G, but with Sprint's and Verizon's 3G, common speeds are 600 kbps to 1.4 Mbps real-world, last I checked.

If EDGE is outpacing 3G for you, something's not as it should be.