Study suggests most of Japan not bonkers over iPhone

Comments

• Reply 41 of 163
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How often does a battery need changing? I know of no one that has gone out to get spare cell phone batteries*. It's a feature that people want but will not use. In the past, a user-replaceable battery was how you reset your phone when it locked up on you.

I certainly have and know others as well. No one carries an extra battery with them on a day to day basis. But for business, having a spare one in your briefcase is not a big deal.

And please, we're not talking about some cheapo LG phone that cracks open when you drop it. The iPhone is built solid and making a user replaceable battery that doesn't fall out is not rocket science.

Of course, it's all about money. I know it won't ever happen...just as iPods have never had user replaceable batteries either.
  • Reply 42 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Of course, it's all about money. I know it won't ever happen...just as iPods have never had user replaceable batteries either.

When the item in question is owned for longer than the life of the battery then this will be an issue... right now the lifespan of the device does not call for a replaceable battery.
  • Reply 43 of 163
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    You know, if it's complexity the Japanese crave, I'm sure some enterprising software developer could step in with some kind of completely gnarly app.

Endless screen of buttons and pulsating widgets and soft switches that make things fly around and count down and glow and change sizes. Mr. Salaryman waiting for the train could be sufficiently diverted, I would think.

The point being that the iPhone is only as simple and elegant as the apps you choose to install.
  • Reply 44 of 163
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

But for business, having a spare one in your briefcase is not a big deal.

I carry two spare laptop batteris with me, but I need 8 hours+ for long flights. I would have purchased a MacBook Air if it had a bigger battery or a way of extending the life. An external battery pack being the better option over having to remove my TechShell, fine a coin which I tend not to carry, replace the battery and put it all back together.

Quote:

And please, we're not talking about some cheapo LG phone that cracks open when you drop it. The iPhone is built solid and making a user replaceable battery that doesn't fall out is not rocket science.

It's not rocket science, it's chemical and mechanical engineering. You mention that the iPhone is "solid" and you are absolutely correct. But it's solid because it designed to be a solid device with no latches and compartments. Besides lowering the durability, adding a user removable cover for the battery increases the thickness and the cost.

Thicker & Costlier How?: Now the battery can't be connected directly to the system board and it requires a special case of its own because it could be accessed by the consumer. It also requires a plastic barrier between the battery tray and the rest of the non-user-replaceable components. The battery also has to be on the back side and which limits the engineering options.

Quote:

I don't buy this argument as you stated it. There aren't a lot of people lining up to have their batteries replaced. In fact, at this point all iPhone battery replacements would be under warranty.

If they are trying to save money, it's not creating a market of replacing batteries, but by incurring higher net profits over their competitors by not having a user-replaceable battery. The iPhone isn't for everybody, if you need a 2nd battery one of the many, many battery packs that connect to the iPod connector underneath or plugging into the USB of a PC is not a viable option then the device is not for you. There has never been an iPod with a user-replaceable battery, so I don't know why this issue is still being discussed almost 7 years later as if Apple just threw a curveball.
  • Reply 45 of 163
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    Considering there are 127 million Japanese, Apple could sell up to 10 million there- great!
  • Reply 46 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eatapc View Post

Correct. Japanese consumers are light years ahead of us in how they use their cells phones. Every day they use their phones in ways that might seem like science fiction to Americans. Advice to Steve Jobs: Take a trip to Japan and figure out that market. It'll benefit us all.

It is interesting to fathom whether the iPhone is a truly universal device. Every country and culture has its own aesthetics and taste, even in a global economy. I suppose the Gap and MickeyD have proven it's possible to sell the same thing to everyone. Maybe the iPhone with it's different apps can crack the world wide market as well.
  • Reply 47 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ambrose Bierce View Post

I suppose the Gap and MickeyD have proven it's possible to sell the same thing to everyone. Maybe the iPhone with it's different apps can crack the world wide market as well.

I can't speak for the Gap, but McDonalds alters it's menu vastly for different cultures.
  • Reply 48 of 163
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

You know, if it's complexity the Japanese crave, I'm sure some enterprising software developer could step in with some kind of completely gnarly app.

Endless screen of buttons and pulsating widgets and soft switches that make things fly around and count down and glow and change sizes. Mr. Salaryman waiting for the train could be sufficiently diverted, I would think.

beautiful

isn't it in Japan where they have those electronic "pets" which the owner has

to feed and water and play with? It would seem that someone could pretty

easily develop something like that for the iPhone also.
  • Reply 49 of 163
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

beautiful

isn't it in Japan where they have those electronic "pets" which the owner has

to feed and water and play with? It would seem that someone could pretty

easily develop something like that for the iPhone also.

Certainly. Let there be no doubt, there will be a metric ton of games available through the App Store.
  • Reply 50 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Certainly. Let there be no doubt, there will be a metric ton of games available through the App Store.

Granted the app store will have games galore by every fledgling developer on the planet, but the iPhone's success will come from the big boys (AE?) porting over there stuff.
  • Reply 51 of 163
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's not rocket science, it's chemical and mechanical engineering. You mention that the iPhone is "solid" and you are absolutely correct. But it's solid because it designed to be a solid device with no latches and compartments. Besides lowering the durability, adding a user removable cover for the battery increases the thickness and the cost.

I'm not sure that lower durability is an unavoidable result. From my experience, many Nokia phones seem to break down consistently when dropped really hard. (Battery, the detachable battery cover and the rest.) I think it's intentional on the designers' part. Whatever part of impact gets absorbed in that, does not contribute to actual damage to components or cracks on the shell. Replacing the battery, the cover and restarting the phone only takes seconds and isn't an issue.

Added cost is not a reason. Even the very cheapest phones I have seen have replaceable batteries, and margins are razor thin on them. Surely the battery would be made integral on some of those phones if that could save more than a few cents.

A separate battery cover is optional, as the battery can be made a part of the shell. Yes, still takes a little more material for the inner battery compartment wall than there'd be if the battery was integral, but not much.
  • Reply 52 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

I'm not sure that lower durability is an unavoidable result. From my experience, many Nokia phones seem to break down consistently when dropped really hard. (Battery, the detachable battery cover and the rest.) I think it's intentional on the designers' part. Whatever part of impact gets absorbed in that, does not contribute to actual damage to components or cracks on the shell. Replacing the battery, the cover and restarting the phone only takes seconds and isn't an issue.

Added cost is not a reason. Even the very cheapest phones I have seen have replaceable batteries, and margins are razor thin on them. Surely the battery would be made integral on some of those phones if that could save more than a few cents.

A separate battery cover is optional, as the battery can be made a part of the shell. Yes, still takes a little more material for the inner battery compartment wall than there'd be if the battery was integral, but not much.

Excellent rebuttal, Gon.
  • Reply 53 of 163
    modzmodz Posts: 13member
    Everyone talks about how advanced Jap mobiles are and I admit that they sure look bling-bling but geeze some of them are bulky and the interfaces are god-awful. Thought I'd share some experiences with Jap phones...

1. "advanced Japanese phones"

Yes sure they're stacked with features but most of them are totally useless. Some people use them, I wager most don't, eg I have Japanese friends with TV One-seg phones who have never used the TV and don't know how, in fact they don't use the GPS, the electronic purchasing or any of those things - they bought the phones because they were top end 900-series with 'perceived cachet'...possible iphone buyers. That's not to say people don't use the features - just that I believe a sizeable number just don't know how.

2. 3.2MP+ cameraphones

Well, mostly, these suck. Squeezing in more megapixels doesn't, by itself, result in better pics. I still have an old Canon 3.2 MP point-and-shoot that takes immensely superior pics to my g/friend's recent DoCoMo Sharp 3.2 phone, it's flash - like many camera phones - is literally useless. Maybe a Sony Cybershot camera phone hits the right notes but I don't really know - it does seem the Sony makes you choose between a decent camera-phone or a decent walkman-type phone though. iPhone already creams the walkman segment...

I would venture that Apple will include a better camera when they feel there's a business case to do so (that is, a better quality lens, flash etc) that fits the phone's profile, battery usage etc Oh and also fits Apple's profit margin!

3. One-seg TV.

Come on, this sucks b**ls. the quality is never consistent - to the guy who said he watched the ball game on the way home and wouldn't give that up: a. If you caught the subway, then I don't believe you frankly because it doesn't work underground - and if not on the underground then the quality is still iffy as the trains pass under bridges, weave through concrete canyons. If you're stationary in a good reception area then fine but I can't believe it's a deal-breaker for everyone currently with keitei-TV.

4. Spare batteries.

Can someone tell me if they've ever seen people carrying spare batteries and changing them - Japan or anywhere? As a previous poster said, this argument has been around since the first iPod and doesn't seem to do any harm. I don't carry a spare battery and the 2 times in the last 2 years I've been caught short on battery I've popped into a Softbank (or Vodafone before it) shop and plugged it in to recharge for 15 mins for free. I notice many Japanese also do this too. Battery argument might be relevant for a few but not for the many.

5. Bluetooth.

My understanding is bluetooth stereo is pretty poor. Again, if Apple can make that work at an acceptable quality without being a MASSIVE DRAIN on battery, then I guess you'll see it.

Japanese phones sure have plenty of features but many are of dubious value. Simply putting these things on a spec sheet sure looks good but doesn't necessarily provide a value proposition. Same as saying your PC's specs are 'upgradeable' knowing full well that you'll just buy a whole new one when upgrading time comes around.

I'm convinced the iPhone's specific appeal will carve out a healthy niche here. iPods are popular here despite the long-time presence of heavyweight electronic brand-name competition, I believe the iPhone will follow that trend.

The interesting thing will be the included plan. Softbank has a US$100 approx plan for smart phones but I wonder if a more affordable option will be available with iPhone. I have an Emobile USB 3G card for my iBook with 7.2mbits speed (in the right area) and 100Gig 'unlimited' traffic - for US$50 per month. So a cheaper plan is definitely possible....

Roll on July 11...
  • Reply 54 of 163
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    A bit busy to respond right now at length, but my wife and I live in Japan and ordered two iPhones. She says Japanese input on her cell phone (a three year old AU model) beats the iPod Touch hands down, but she prefers the Touch in my other ways.

Personally, I don't see why Apple has not put video into the phone.

However, I recently saw a video from a wedding in the US, the day after I went to a wedding in Japan. At the US event, most guests used cameras to take photos. At the Japan event, the only true cameras were in the photographers' hands; all of the guests pulled out their cell phones. The first video mail of the cake-cutting reached my phone while the bride and groom were still chewing. By the time I got home, enough friends had mailed me videos for me to put together a quick video presentation without using any of my own footage. I walked home from the event hall in five minutes.

That said, I am looking forward to the my iPhone and to see what impact it will have on the future of phones in Japan.
  • Reply 55 of 163
    Quote:

When the item in question is owned for longer than the life of the battery then this will be an issue... right now the lifespan of the device does not call for a replaceable battery.

I agree 60%. LOL. In reality, my several year old iPod 5g, which got used hours and hours per day is still going strong on its original battery, and never ran the battery down during the day where I was without function. That's a strong argument for the "don't need a user changeable battery" in iPods.

My iPhone, on the other hand, is a different story. The battery life on it, if you do a lot of surfing or are in areas with weak signals, is abysmal. I more than once got the 20% battery warning, 10% battery warning, and then dead phone (all within a few minutes!) back in the early days. Then I learned you just had to keep a charger in the car, and on the desk, and keep the thing plugged in whenever possible. A pain, but do-able.

A "spare" battery has the advantage of "change and go", not "wait for a charge and go", and is small enough to keep in your pocket where ever you are. Not true about a USB port/charger.

Battery life was such an issue for me, I jumped on the Mophie Juicepack when it became available. It's been a real blessing on occasions, keeping me on the road, albeit with a bulkier phone, when in the past I'd have been dead-battery city.

edit: someone above asked if anyone has ever seen someone carry a spare battery and change them in real life. YES. ME! With both my old Razr and my Treo 700P. It just depends on how much you use the device during the day, doesn't it?
  • Reply 56 of 163
    xamaxxamax Posts: 135member
    1) 9% of 103 million (Japan subscriber market) = 9,270.000 ~9 million iPhones!

2) a survey with 400 respondents? Get serious!

Japan is not the best market for Apple because they are way ahead, the iPhone is not big improvement for them.

The best market for Apple's iPhone is developing countries where iPhones are like cars for Americans, people will buy them to flash to chicks, they will buy it on credit, etc.

Notwithstanding, 9% in a country where the iPhone is no big deal is amazing!

Just imagine if Apple would pull off 9% of 1.1 billion global market (or current subscriber base)?

~99 million?!

Think about it!

And the Macs that the iPhone will bring in?!
  • Reply 57 of 163
    has anyone seen new cell phones released in Japan this year? iPhone is like a grandma technology compare to them. 2 megapixle camera is such a turn off because 5 megapixle is already a new standstard over there, not to mention they have so many phones equipped with little antenna that you can watch live TV. plus iPhone is not a clamshell cell phone, which is very unlikely to be appealing to female users in Japan
  • Reply 58 of 163
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I don't get how they are comparing Japan to the rest of the world, when their tiny survey covered ONLY Japan, with no data from elsewhere.

That said, I'll make my GUESS as to what the same survey would say in the US: more than 90% of people have no "plans" to buy an iPhone.

Imagine walking down the street in the US and asking random people if they already specifically "plan" to buy an iPhone. If more than 1 in 10 said yes, I'd be shocked. 1 in 10 people is a lot of people, to my mind--and that's AFTER the price drop.
  • Reply 59 of 163
    modzmodz Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eddieaus View Post

has anyone seen new cell phones released in Japan this year? iPhone is like a grandma technology compare to them. 2 megapixle camera is such a turn off because 5 megapixle is already a new standstard over there, not to mention they have so many phones equipped with little antenna that you can watch live TV. plus iPhone is not a clamshell cell phone, which is very unlikely to be appealing to female users in Japan

"has anyone seen new cell phones released in Japan this year?"

I've seen them. Same crappy interfaces and TOO many features that are of average quality. Every year the same thing.

I love how the "grandma technology" has scared Sharp enough this year to intro new phones with full screen, touch (single, not multi) ability, touting web browsing (but still the same carp browser) and more teeny-tiny buttons.

If this foreign company with only it's upgraded 1st handset (just one model!) takes 9% of the Japanese market as suggested in the survey, that's got to be seen as a major blow to the domestic manufacturers. I think the manufactures (certainly Sharp) have seen this - hence the semi-look alike phones they released.
  • Reply 60 of 163
    Quote:

I suppose the Gap and MickeyD have proven it's possible to sell the same thing to everyone.

Actually, Gap stores in Japan have a different selection and are aimed at a higher price bracket than Gap stores in the U.S. You won't find more than a small number of items below ¥1500 at Gap Japan. This is because Gap would lose to Uniqlo (a Japanese clothing company with the same philosophy as the American Gap/Old Navy) so quickly, that it was forced to adopt to the Japanese market.

I think the iPhone can succeed in Japan, but its potential relevance in Japanese culture compared to the West will probably be minimal. I think the lack of 1Seg TV in particular will be unfavorable to Apple. The PSP and DS have 1Seg tuners in Japan, and the PSP version of the accessory in particular has been very popular. I also would love to use my iPhone as a Mobile Suica device to pay for my train rides.

And even if the features of Japanese phones are fluff, the fact of the matter is that their basic usage still matches the best most American made phones can do. They get this "fluff" on top of everything that an American will perceive of as a complete package. Whereas Apple will actually remove features some deem vital, Japanese companies have seldom ever removed something even remotely useful. Therefore, criticizing this approach makes no sense whatsoever because consumers lose nothing.