Study suggests most of Japan not bonkers over iPhone

Comments

• Reply 101 of 163
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The iPhone's software expandability, and thus functionality, is far superior than anything in the EU, Nippon or Korea.

I wish someone in the know would post the most popular (not the most feature rich or expensive) cell phones that are being used. Is the ppi as high as the iPhone? How good are the cameras on these devices (I mean the picture quality, not the Mpxs)? How long does the battery last?

If you want, I can post some pics taken with my iPhone and my N82 side by side and we can compare. In short the iPhones cam is simply no match. If interested let me know. To be fair, I will take the pics outdoors, in sunlight to give the iPhone a chance.
  • Reply 102 of 163
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

If you want, I can post some pics taken with my iPhone and my N82 side by side and we can compare. In short the iPhones cam is simply no match. If interested let me know. To be fair, I will take the pics outdoors, in sunlight to give the iPhone a chance.

Thanks, but I'm well aware of Nokia's image quality. I'm talking about the feature crammed, orgasmically specced out devices being used in the Japan. Unless you are saying that the N82 is one of the most common phones in Japan.

BTW, what is the ppi for the N82?
  • Reply 103 of 163
    Quote:

thanks, But I'm Well Aware Of Nokia's Image Quality. I'm Talking About The Feature Crammed, Orgasmically Specced Out Devices Being Used In The Japan. Unless You Are Saying That The N82 Is One Of The Most Common Phones In Japan.

Btw, What Is The Ppi For The N82?

Ppi ?
  • Reply 104 of 163
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

I tend to disagree, the Japanese have a slightly different relation to technology and generally like functionality and expandability, while the American population generally wants it simple and user friendly. Now this statement might be a little prejudice, and I really really hope no one take offence =)

No offense, but the japanese like to pretend to themselves that they like functionality and features, but as most here who are responding from Japan say, that's few actually use any of the complex, not user friendly features.

That's very different from buying phones that have those features.
  • Reply 105 of 163
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:

The iPhone's software expandability, and thus functionality, is far superior than anything in the EU, Nippon or Korea.

I wish someone in the know would post the most popular (not the most feature rich or expensive) cell phones that are being used. Is the ppi as high as the iPhone? How good are the cameras on these devices (I mean the picture quality, not the Mpxs)? How long does the battery last?

The Symbian platform (wich Nokias smartphones use)is probably the most advanced non-asian mobile platform there is, you can install tons and tons of apps, games and emulators, with a very flexible variety of UI, while the iPhone has at least for all apps a rather limited set of UI wich makes all the iPhone apps look the same in a genetic kind of way.

The picture quality is better then the iPhones, it is in higher resolution and the Nokia phones come with a flash and Carl Zeiss lenses. I do not own a iPhone so unfortunately I can't take two fotos of the same object with the different cameras, but if I bump into my iPhone-owning friend I'll be sure to do so.

The battery lasts great, I bought my Nokia N95 when it came out over a year ago and it works like it was new, even any battery life shortage is unnoticeable.

The only thing Nokia phones lack is optical zoom, perhaps a little more RAM (for stuff like Quake 2 with Open GL enabled wich only the 8GB version of Nokia N95 can run (however the original N95 can run Quake 1 with Open GL and Quake 2 with software rendering)) and a Nvidia tegra graphics card to top it all off and it'll be perfect.
  • Reply 106 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

No offense, but the japanese like to pretend to themselves that they like functionality and features, but as most here who are responding from Japan say, that's few actually use any of the complex, not user friendly features.

That's very different from buying phones that have those features.

Well I wouldn't know that, but I still think they are a lot more into technology..
  • Reply 107 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

The Symbian platform (wich Nokias smartphones use)is probably the most advanced non-asian mobile platform there is, you can install tons and tons of apps, games and emulators, with a very flexible variety of UI, while the iPhone has at least for all apps a rather limited set of UI wich makes all the iPhone apps look the same in a genetic kind of way.

The picture quality is better then the iPhones, it is in higher resolution and the Nokia phones come with a flash and Carl Zeiss lenses. I do not own a iPhone so unfortunately I can't take two fotos of the same object with the different cameras, but if I bump into my iPhone-owning friend I'll be sure to do so.

The battery lasts great, I bought my Nokia N95 when it came out over a year ago and it works like it was new, even any battery life shortage is unnoticeable.

The only thing Nokia phones lack is optical zoom, perhaps a little more RAM (for stuff like Quake 2 with Open GL enabled wich only the 8GB version of Nokia N95 can run (however the original N95 can run Quake 1 with Open GL and Quake 2 with software rendering)) and a Nvidia tegra graphics card to top it all off and it'll be perfect.

Get the N82 mate. You will love it even more. I had one of the 1st N95's that came out. It was great but until they updated the software, and added A-GPS, battery life was terrible. My N82 will run about 2 or 3 days until dead with GPS, cam, and normal phone usage, all while being connected to a 3G network, and using 7.2 Mb/sec HSDPA.
  • Reply 108 of 163
    Quote:

Ppi ?

pixel per inch. The screen resolution isn't very helpful if we don't know the size of the screen, so getting the ppi is a quick way of telling the density of the pixels on the display.
  • Reply 109 of 163
    Quote:

I can post some examples, I havn't taken these pics myself because I don't have access to a upload server and stuff, also I am lazy =)

Outdoor pic:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...mera/train.jpg

Indoor:

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...era/indoor.jpg

A human =):

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/revie...mera/steve.jpg
  • Reply 110 of 163
    Quote:

pixel per inch. The screen resolution isn't very helpful if we don't know the size of the screen, so getting the ppi is a quick way of telling the density of the pixels on the display.

Here you go.

Display

2.4" LCD QVGA (240 x 320 pixels) TFT color display with up to 16.7 million colors.

Additional info: http://europe.nokia.com/A4674003
  • Reply 111 of 163
    Quote:

Here you go.

Display

2.4" LCD QVGA (240 x 320 pixels) TFT color display with up to 16.7 million colors.

Additional info: http://europe.nokia.com/A4674003

It has 166.7ppi. For comparison, the iPhone with a 3.5" display at 480x320 resolution has a ppi of 164.83, but their website says 163. I was hoping they would up the pixel density to over 200ppi for the new iPhone.
  • Reply 112 of 163
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Your observation that the survey was taken prior to the announcement of the significant price drop and that that could change the results was a very big understatement. Price is obviously very much a factor in driving volume. Take another survey now that we know more about the product and its price. I guarantee the results would be very different. Or, just wait until the device is finally shipping in Japan and we'll find out the real story.

Thompson
  • Reply 113 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RolandG View Post

How do you charge your multiple batteries? Back in the old days there used to be dedicated charging stations for replacement batteries, but these days are long gone...

Are you constantly changing them, having your device plugged-in all the time? How do you recharge them "on the road"?

I'm on an iPhone now, so I don't have a spare to charge, except for the Mophie Juicepack, which just uses USB/iPod dock cable.

Older phones had a charging dock for that sort of thing.
  • Reply 114 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

What exactly is limited about the UI?

It is bounded to set of UI frameworks

Quote:

It was found within Flikr tags that most of the mobile phone pictures on Flikr came from the iPhone.

Popularity≠Quality

Quote:

Mobile phones use flash lite which does not support all of the features of flash 9. So either way you don't receive the full benefit of flash.

The majority of the current worldwide web content is probably not Flash9-only

Quote:

From surveys video conferencing is not an overly popular feature.

It is still a signature feature of the 3G technology, but I know what you mean

Quote:

Why would you need to run multiple apps on the tiny screen of a phone?

I can see how you would find it strange, but once you get started on multi-tasking and using your phone as a laptop you will keep at it and use your RAM memory to the max
  • Reply 115 of 163
    double post..
  • Reply 116 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DistortedLoop View Post

I'm on an iPhone now, so I don't have a spare to charge, except for the Mophie Juicepack...

I hope they update the Juice Pack for the 3G model a lot faster than it took them to come out with the first one.
  • Reply 117 of 163
    Quote:

You're totally right, nobody's making top shelf software for japanese phones. The cell phone market certainly isn't so strong that companies like Square Enix make high level games for phones, no sirree! And nobody buys them either, which is why they keep making more, including installments of several of their top selling series. No software for those JAPANEEEZ phones whatsoever.

LOL @ this place.
  • Reply 118 of 163
    Yeah, these fancy-pants iPhone guys sure is stoopid! Who wants one of them there Rembrandts? My velvet Elvis pitcher has a LOT more paint on it and it only cost 89 cents!
  • Reply 119 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KamiNoYadoru View Post

You're totally right, nobody's making top shelf software for japanese phones. The cell phone market certainly isn't so strong that companies like Square Enix make high level games for phones, no sirree! And nobody buys them either, which is why they keep making more, including installments of several of their top selling series. No software for those JAPANEEEZ phones whatsoever.

I also never stated nor implied that Japan didn't have a software market for their phones. Even in the US Verizon and RiM have application stores.

What I did state is that OS X iPhone and it's SDK offers much more flexibility and expandability than every other mobile platform. If you have evidence of a mobile OS computing platform that has a better foundation than OS X please post it here so we can take a look at it. I'm talking about a YouTube video of an app doing something cool, I'm talking about websites that talk about the mobile OS, it's free SDK (if there is one) and the system that is designed to get both developers to the platform and users to buy the apps.

PS: Making sardonic remarks doesn't help your argument, especially if they aren't addressing the text you quoted.
  • Reply 120 of 163
    As a resident of Japan, I had long been looking forward to the iPhone being released here.

That said, I am uncertain about whether to change providers and go to SoftBank in order to get one.

Changing providers doesn't bother me so much. And with number portability I would be able to keep the same number.

What I am uncertain about is the balance between the features I would lose vs what I would gain with the iPhone.

To be sure, the browser on the iPhone is the best mobile browser by far. It definitely beats any mobile browser on any other cell phone here. And having the iPod features is nice.

But there are things that the existing cell phones here do, which are very useful, that I am not sure I want to give up. For example:

(1) My cell phone has a built in chip that lets me use the phone for all sorts of daily payments. I can use it to get on the train, subway and buses. I can use it to buy stuff at convenience stores and a lot of other places too, including vending machines. It would be a nuisance to not be able to do that any more.

(2) The cell phone camera I currently have is much better than the one in the iPhone. It has higher resolution, auto-focus and it takes videos, which I like doing.

(3) MY cell phone has built-in "one-seg", which is a digital TV broadcast receiver. I don't watch TV much on my cell phone, but it's nice to have when you need it.

I could live without (3). But (1) and (2) would actually be giving up important features that I use all the time.

Plus I really like having a keyboard - though I suspect composing English messages will be easier on the iPhone than it is on the Japanese cell phone keypads. Composing Japanese messages right now is pretty quick and easy. But the phones here are really not designed for composing English messages, and they are actually harder to type in than Japanese messages right now. That would be a plus for the iPhone.

I think I might at least have to wait until the iPhone at least supports the payment chip and a better camera before I make the leap.

And if there is a two year minimum contract required, the thing better be guaranteed for two years!

doug